Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've had 3 official ones over the years and all have died from that fuse problem. Since then I bought a single fake, it works fine, distance is good etc. I was going to get an Xbox One controller but Microsoft just decided to shaft PC gamers and doesn't even make a wireless dongle for it at all! My bigger problem is getting controller support working in OpenELEC is a loving pain, I think I might just scrub this and go to XBMCBuntu. I really want steam capability and my emulators back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
Has anyone else been looking at the Tronsmart AW80? Debating on the 2gb or holding out for the 4gb later this month...

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Never heard of it till now. Uses and Allwinner chip...

Interesting to see allwinner in the android TV box game. There's tons of tablets and phones with them but hadn't seen a box till now. I've actually seen some AW devices pull ridiculous antutu scores but that's not everything. One thing I really like about the box you posted is AC WiFi..

Any reason why you're reluctant to get, say, a S802 based box like the M8? I got one last week (after being a die hard rk3188 fan) and the Mali 450 GPU kicks serious rear end.

Any of the quad core SOCs (rk3188, S802, ect) handle xbmc/1080p video with flying colors. And they all have good fws floating around that get the most out of them. No idea how much development there is for AW80 device yet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Pretty sure that isn't an Android TV box.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Never heard of it till now. Uses and Allwinner chip...

Interesting to see allwinner in the android TV box game. There's tons of tablets and phones with them but hadn't seen a box till now. I've actually seen some AW devices pull ridiculous antutu scores but that's not everything. One thing I really like about the box you posted is AC WiFi..

Any reason why you're reluctant to get, say, a S802 based box like the M8? I got one last week (after being a die hard rk3188 fan) and the Mali 450 GPU kicks serious rear end.

Any of the quad core SOCs (rk3188, S802, ect) handle xbmc/1080p video with flying colors. And they all have good fws floating around that get the most out of them. No idea how much development there is for AW80 device yet.

I was holding off on the S802 because of the lack of gigabit Ethernet/ac WiFi and USB 3.0/SATA; was thinking about plugging in a big hhd, hoping it would perform okay over the network for some light file transferring. Looks like it had some decent scores on cnx-software but I haven't done much research.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

rizzo1001 posted:

I was holding off on the S802 because of the lack of gigabit Ethernet/ac WiFi and USB 3.0/SATA; was thinking about plugging in a big hhd, hoping it would perform okay over the network for some light file transferring. Looks like it had some decent scores on cnx-software but I haven't done much research.

Unless you are using it as a NAS there is no need for gigabit.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Unless you are using it as a NAS there is no need for gigabit.

Would it do alright as such with a single HHD?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

rizzo1001 posted:

Would it do alright as such with a single HHD?

For streaming it will be fine, for file transfers you will notice a speed limitation.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah pretty much what he said.

If you indeed do have the means to hardwire the box, you'll be more than fine. Even through wifi you should be fine.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My FireTV slurped an 18gb version of Star Wars over 802.11n no problem in a crowded Wi-Fi environment*, averaged about 32-36 megabit. Based on that you'd need about 80 megabit for a 40gb uncompressed bluray.

* my phone is reporting 13 Wi-Fi hotspots

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I absolutely love the MetroTV skin for Gotham, but am I correct in seeing there have not been any updates for it in a long time? Just making sure I'm not missing anything. There's some minor bugs that annoy me, but it's one of the best skins out there.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

trilljester posted:

I absolutely love the MetroTV skin for Gotham, but am I correct in seeing there have not been any updates for it in a long time? Just making sure I'm not missing anything. There's some minor bugs that annoy me, but it's one of the best skins out there.

Github shows last update was a month ago. Is that as far back as you had thought? You could report bugs to the developer here. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=138997 He seems to still be actively responding as of the 4th.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

redhalo posted:

Github shows last update was a month ago. Is that as far back as you had thought? You could report bugs to the developer here. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=138997 He seems to still be actively responding as of the 4th.

Hmm, no I think my version is older than that. I'll update from Github and see if bugs have been fixed. Thanks!

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
It's really difficult to pick up on the minor differences between all the Metro style skins without trying each one (seems to be a lot of them). Going off the screenshots they could all be the same. I'm currently using BOX http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=190266

Not sure how it compares?

redhalo
May 19, 2009

trilljester posted:

Hmm, no I think my version is older than that. I'll update from Github and see if bugs have been fixed. Thanks!

Just checking, but you did know that it wasn't going to automatically update in XBMC right? Also given that it's beta be sure to report said bugs.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
Anyone having issues with closing XBMC? Both of the machines that I run it on have started having issues gracefully closing either using the shutdown menu or even just a plain Alt+F4. These are both Windows machines and I think the likely culprit is a recent Windows update since I have not done anything else to these machines. One is Windows 8.1 and the other is Server 2012 R2.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

redhalo posted:

Just checking, but you did know that it wasn't going to automatically update in XBMC right? Also given that it's beta be sure to report said bugs.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't going to auto update, but I was able to download the zip off the XBMC/Kodi forum. Didn't realize it was being updated via Github.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Is anyone else using OpenElec and a wireless xbox 360 controller? Annoyed by how the LED circle keeps blinking even after connecting successfully?
Please feel free to test this custom build, based on the Valve xpad patch, it'll hopefully help.

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2607
(See bottom of page)

This has been a public service announcement.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Is anyone else using OpenElec and a wireless xbox 360 controller? Annoyed by how the LED circle keeps blinking even after connecting successfully?
Please feel free to test this custom build, based on the Valve xpad patch, it'll hopefully help.

(See bottom of page)

Did you check the batteries in the controller? Mine flashes like that when the batteries are low.

edit: My reading comprehension is pretty low. You are posting the fix. durr

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

(See bottom of page)

Awesome thanks man.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Gunslinger posted:

Awesome thanks man.

Did it work for you? I'm having problems with it not reconnecting successfully if I restart the controller. But pretty decent function all in all.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Did it work for you? I'm having problems with it not reconnecting successfully if I restart the controller. But pretty decent function all in all.

I don't get the blink anymore but I only played with it for 5 minutes. Do you mean it won't reconnect if you pull the batteries or let it idle timeout? Does it work after a reboot?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is there any reason to put quality information in filenames any more? Like "720p" or "x264"...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Is there any reason to put quality information in filenames any more? Like "720p" or "x264"...

I'd say no, unless you want to be able to tell at a glance what something is in the file structure and not just XBMC. I know I quite doing that a looooong time ago and never looked back.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

I wouldn't imagine so, because XBMC can already pull that information from the file and show you while you're browsing your library. Even at the file structure level, resolution can generally be guessed based on file size, and the encoding hardly matters these days.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Thermopyle posted:

Source format information like Blu-ray makes more sense to leave in the filename since that can't really be guessed accurately, and it's nice to have for those skins that display this stuff.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I decided to disable putting any of that stuff in there. I mean, I get the point about keeping BluRay in there, but for usenet reasons I always get duplicate entries when I get a new copy of an episode and have to clean the library.

Unless, there's a way to get around that problem while keeping the source info in the filename...

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

If i have to rename a file so xbmc/kodi scans it correctly into the library I will remove all the extraneous information usually ending up with name (year) (season:episode). mkv but with most stuff in my library i haven't had to do that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I should have my fire TV stick on Thursday. I will post impressions itt as soon as I get a chance to try xbmc on it... Assuming it can be done.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

I should have my fire TV stick on Thursday. I will post impressions itt as soon as I get a chance to try xbmc on it... Assuming it can be done.

From the XBMC wiki
http://kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV_Stick

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
First user reports are coming in XBMC is supposed to run well. User even tested a hi bit rate 1080p movie and said it run great over wifi. Rooting is not currently possible so you can't change XBMC to be the launcher.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah, a 40 dollar XBMC stick is hard to beat.

I am diehard of straight up Android tv boxes but this new development is hard to resist.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I posted this in the FireTV thread but I realized that this might be a better place. Is there some reason that I can't get XBMC on the FireTV to output sound to all speakers? I've got all the normal things set up so as to force the output but it just will not work with 2.0 sources. Everything in 5.1 or above works just fine and outputs properly but nothing with upmix from stereo to 5.1.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So far so good. The Fire TV Stick seems to run the standard version of XBMC smoothly, even streaming 1080p over WiFi (with a delay when skipping ahead).

The same Llama and IkonoTV or ClassicTV sacrificial app trick still works as it did on the bigger Fire TV.

I put the Aeon MQ5 skin on there, and it is a little laggy for little fire stick, but still usable. Might see if I can tweak it more to run lighter.

All in all, it's a great XBMC stick for the money. I hope that when version 14 comes out, that they get Kodi listed on the Play Store and Amazon store so that you don't have to gently caress around with side loading and Llama and all that.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Okay, I wasn't sure whether to ask this here or in the Fire TV thread, but I'm having issues with XBMC on my new Fire TV. I was able to get XBMC sideloaded onto the thing, but sometimes after opening up XBMC from the System>Applications menu it will either instantly boot me back to the Fire TV menu or it will do so after I load a movie. It seems totally random, and I haven't figured out a pattern at this point. Has anyone had similar experiences? I came from an Apple TV 2 that had horrible buffering issues, which I think is mainly due to my convoluted method of an external hard drive connected to a Time Capsule as a makeshift NAS. I always see rave reviews with using XBMC on the Fire TV, so I'm hoping this is just a setting or something that I have setup incorrectly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was asked to explain nfo files in the HTPC thread.

Thermopyle posted:

Hey, go explain this in the XBMC thread! There's several regularly occurring shows on YouTube that would be nice to integrate as "TV Shows".

Note: it may be easier and more appropriate to update the scraper databases instead of creating custom files. Be default, XBMC uses TheTVDB for TV shows and The Movie Database for movies. I use this only for things that don't belong in the databases, but that I want to still see in XBMC (eg, custom movie for DVD special features, custom TV Show for shorts from a longer episode). The initial question came up for adding YouTube clips to XBMC and things like Bee and Puppycat, Mighty Car Mods, AVGN, etc already have entries in the database; it is appropriate to add YouTube shows to TheTVDB.

I'll start with movie files as they're easier:
1) Create a file with the exact same name as your movie file, but ending in .nfo (eg, "Pulp Fiction 1994.nfo"). Save the .nfo file in the same location as the video.
2) Copy the code out of this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/movies from <movie> to </movie>.
3) Fill out the info! You can delete rows that you don't need. I usually just keep the name, run time, plot, and director/actor information.
4) Pull up XBMC, update the library, and the info should show up. If the video was added before creating the .nfo file, you'll have to refresh the data. It will pop up a box saying that local information was found (the .nfo file) and if you want to ignore it and use a scraper. Say "no".

TV Shows are very similar, but a little more involved. You will need a file for the TV Show, then one for every episode.
1) Create a file named "tvshow.nfo" exactly (not the name of the show). Save this file in the root directory of the TV show.
2) Copy the code from this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/tvshows and fill out what you need. This is info for the TV show as a whole.
3) Create an .nfo file for every episode. These will be named exactly the same as the episode video files (eg, "Superjail! - S01e00 - Bunny Love.nfo"). Each file needs to be saved in the same location as the video file.
4) Copy the code from this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/tvepisodes and fill out what you need. This is info for the individual episode.
5) Update your library same as with custom movies.

The only thing left is adding images.
For movies, poster images should have an aspect ratio of 1:1.5.
For TV shows, I follow the guidelines at TheTVDB
-posters at 680x1000
-banners at 758x140
-episode images at 400x300 (4:3 aspect ratio) or 400x225 (16:9 aspect ratio)).
Fan art for both is either 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

Save those files somewhere you can find them, then edit the information of the movie/TV show/TV episode in XBMC, and browse for the local art on your computer.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

I was asked to explain nfo files in the HTPC thread.

Note: it may be easier and more appropriate to update the scraper databases instead of creating custom files. Be default, XBMC uses TheTVDB for TV shows and The Movie Database for movies. I use this only for things that don't belong in the databases, but that I want to still see in XBMC (eg, custom movie for DVD special features, custom TV Show for shorts from a longer episode). The initial question came up for adding YouTube clips to XBMC and things like Bee and Puppycat, Mighty Car Mods, AVGN, etc already have entries in the database; it is appropriate to add YouTube shows to TheTVDB.

I'll start with movie files as they're easier:
1) Create a file with the exact same name as your movie file, but ending in .nfo (eg, "Pulp Fiction 1994.nfo"). Save the .nfo file in the same location as the video.
2) Copy the code out of this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/movies from <movie> to </movie>.
3) Fill out the info! You can delete rows that you don't need. I usually just keep the name, run time, plot, and director/actor information.
4) Pull up XBMC, update the library, and the info should show up. If the video was added before creating the .nfo file, you'll have to refresh the data. It will pop up a box saying that local information was found (the .nfo file) and if you want to ignore it and use a scraper. Say "no".

TV Shows are very similar, but a little more involved. You will need a file for the TV Show, then one for every episode.
1) Create a file named "tvshow.nfo" exactly (not the name of the show). Save this file in the root directory of the TV show.
2) Copy the code from this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/tvshows and fill out what you need. This is info for the TV show as a whole.
3) Create an .nfo file for every episode. These will be named exactly the same as the episode video files (eg, "Superjail! - S01e00 - Bunny Love.nfo"). Each file needs to be saved in the same location as the video file.
4) Copy the code from this page: http://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/tvepisodes and fill out what you need. This is info for the individual episode.
5) Update your library same as with custom movies.

The only thing left is adding images.
For movies, poster images should have an aspect ratio of 1:1.5.
For TV shows, I follow the guidelines at TheTVDB
-posters at 680x1000
-banners at 758x140
-episode images at 400x300 (4:3 aspect ratio) or 400x225 (16:9 aspect ratio)).
Fan art for both is either 1280x720 or 1920x1080.

Save those files somewhere you can find them, then edit the information of the movie/TV show/TV episode in XBMC, and browse for the local art on your computer.

This is very useful information that should definitely go in the OP.

However, I actually meant how are you getting youtube shows into XBMC as TV Shows!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Falco posted:

Okay, I wasn't sure whether to ask this here or in the Fire TV thread, but I'm having issues with XBMC on my new Fire TV. I was able to get XBMC sideloaded onto the thing, but sometimes after opening up XBMC from the System>Applications menu it will either instantly boot me back to the Fire TV menu or it will do so after I load a movie. It seems totally random, and I haven't figured out a pattern at this point. Has anyone had similar experiences? I came from an Apple TV 2 that had horrible buffering issues, which I think is mainly due to my convoluted method of an external hard drive connected to a Time Capsule as a makeshift NAS. I always see rave reviews with using XBMC on the Fire TV, so I'm hoping this is just a setting or something that I have setup incorrectly.

Are you sure you sideloaded the correct version? Gotham 13.2 ARM is the one you want.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Thermopyle posted:

This is very useful information that should definitely go in the OP.

However, I actually meant how are you getting youtube shows into XBMC as TV Shows!

Oh! I download the files from YouTube. I'm not actually linking the YouTube videos themselves.

(does this fall under :filez: ?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Uthor posted:

Oh! I download the files from YouTube. I'm not actually linking the YouTube videos themselves.

(does this fall under :filez: ?)

Nah, it's fine. Thanks.