Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Analogical posted:

1MGUR JLAW Analyst

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Analogical posted:

1MGUR JLAW Analyst

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Navy screwed up another advancement results release. Congratulations to those that made it!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DustyNuts posted:

Navy screwed up another advancement results release. Congratulations to those that made it!

Has there been one that hasn't leaked?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

quote:

From Chief of Naval Personnel Public Affairs:

This morning we inadvertently released the Fall advancement results ahead of our planned release schedule.

We will push command advancements this morning via BOL to COs, XOs and CMCs. In spite of this error, we still want to provide command triads an opportunity to notify their Sailors of the results.

We regret the inconvenience and the break from the announced timeline. (N32)

Please please please don't look at those results, your command would be very sad if they weren't the ones to break the happy news.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The best announcements for advancement is always in a liberty port late at night with a drunk captain on the 1MC.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Has there been one that hasn't leaked?

Dudes apparently have very itchy trigger fingers. These shits get posted or leaked like every cycle.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Oh the butthurt is flowing among the people here that didn't pick up and wanted to. This is beautiful.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Anyone seen the actual list yet? I've still got a lot of friends that are active duty and I can't seem to find the list.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

The list will probably be published tomorrow, but possibly as late as Tuesday, which is when it was supposed to be released.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I stopped looking at my former community's lists, because all they ever were was a who's who of douchebags. (with a few non-assholes thrown in for appearances' sake.)

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

Oh the butthurt is flowing among the people here that didn't pick up and wanted to. This is beautiful.

Every cycle my favorite thing is hearing about how much you enjoy watching the corpsman community suffer (I hope you picked up though)

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Does it sound weird if I say I always like seeing people get promoted, just in a general sense? (Army/Navy/AF w/e) it's just cool seeing people make rank and get more dolla dolla billz.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Every cycle my favorite thing is hearing about how much you enjoy watching the corpsman community suffer (I hope you picked up though)

Please don't wish that on me. I walk into the test and leave as soon as I'm done bubbling in random things. There's nothing to gain at this command except misery and pain when your department has 2 enlisted and you're both E-5 and below. If I pick up, I get the bullshit from the chain a lot sooner and I have no filter, sitting through LPO meetings would be misery and I'd likely burn every bridge the guy that's in charge now has tried to build since he got here.

It's fine being a nobody, saves time.

I just hope you pick up so you're that much closer to immunity from pointless tasks.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

Please don't wish that on me. I walk into the test and leave as soon as I'm done bubbling in random things. There's nothing to gain at this command except misery and pain when your department has 2 enlisted and you're both E-5 and below. If I pick up, I get the bullshit from the chain a lot sooner and I have no filter, sitting through LPO meetings would be misery and I'd likely burn every bridge the guy that's in charge now has tried to build since he got here.

I just hope you pick up so you're that much closer to immunity from pointless tasks.
Jesus dude you can be a nobody at a higher rank. Maximize your earnings and opportunity while you're in.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

Pstttt - there's no such thing. This never stops, regardless of rank.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Another cycle, another batch of 4-months-onboard sailors who haven't actually done the job yet getting selected over the CTI3s who have worked with me for over a year.

Not even looking at Facebook today to avoid this drama train. I do like how as soon as someone gets selected two opinions suddenly form:

1) I didn't even want 2nd ;D
2) I didn't even study

Regardless of telling everyone during test week how much you were studying and then continuing to talk about deserving a promotion up until you actually got it.

God drat do I love the Navy.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Jesus dude you can be a nobody at a higher rank. Maximize your earnings and opportunity while you're in.

If I want pennies to add to my bank account I'll go pick them up off the street.

Edit: Just found out though that my friend who is getting an early out picked up. Life's good with the butt hurt flowing at his command.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

:lol:

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Analogical posted:

Another cycle, another batch of 4-months-onboard sailors who haven't actually done the job yet getting selected over the CTI3s who have worked with me for over a year.

Not even looking at Facebook today to avoid this drama train. I do like how as soon as someone gets selected two opinions suddenly form:

1) I didn't even want 2nd ;D
2) I didn't even study

Regardless of telling everyone during test week how much you were studying and then continuing to talk about deserving a promotion up until you actually got it.

God drat do I love the Navy.

gently caress, tell me about it. One of my trainees fresh to my shop picked up over some folks that've been here a year longer than me. Whatever, at least I got it this time :toot:. The CTI test is bullshit.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Pandasmores, I know you're a corpsman at Lemoore or some awful place which is a double dose of garbage, but have you ever considered that you may be the rear end in a top hat here? Like, still get out and plan for a future outside of the Navy, that's fine. However, you have nothing to lose by getting promoted. It's more money in your pocket for the same loving job. The Navy isn't going to crumble because HN Pandasmores stuck it to the man and threw his advancement exam. gently caress.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Black Balloon posted:

gently caress, tell me about it. One of my trainees fresh to my shop picked up over some folks that've been here a year longer than me. Whatever, at least I got it this time :toot:. The CTI test is bullshit.

Our E6 advancement was complete trash this cycle too comparatively. 124 eligible and 12% because "hurrrr durrrr we're at war with like the Middle Eeest rite? We gotta GIT MORE ARAB LINGUI-- wait poo poo its over, go the gently caress home you plebs" while all the other languages who have proper manning numbers laughed at our scramble.

Most(!) of the Arab lings I know aren't even functioning as arabic linguists in any regard and are basically IS or CTRs. You'd think they could dump us into a new UIC for non-rate analyst and leave us alone.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Analogical posted:

Our E6 advancement was complete trash this cycle too comparatively. 124 eligible and 12% because "hurrrr durrrr we're at war with like the Middle Eeest rite? We gotta GIT MORE ARAB LINGUI-- wait poo poo its over, go the gently caress home you plebs" while all the other languages who have proper manning numbers laughed at our scramble.

Most(!) of the Arab lings I know aren't even functioning as arabic linguists in any regard and are basically IS or CTRs. You'd think they could dump us into a new UIC for non-rate analyst and leave us alone.

Yeah man I hear you. Every arling I know seems to be getting flipped around between shops at a moment's notice. The fact that you share a group with us Farsi folks, or especially the Heblings is just strange given how much more dynamic your poo poo all is, broadly speaking.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MancXVI posted:

Pandasmores, I know you're a corpsman at Lemoore or some awful place which is a double dose of garbage, but have you ever considered that you may be the rear end in a top hat here? Like, still get out and plan for a future outside of the Navy, that's fine. However, you have nothing to lose by getting promoted. It's more money in your pocket for the same loving job. The Navy isn't going to crumble because HN Pandasmores stuck it to the man and threw his advancement exam. gently caress.

I'm not. I show everyone what to do, I teach every LPO how to do their jobs, I make everyone laugh with jokes and help the new kids out of corps school how to plan ahead and what they need to do to get by, but at the end of the day I view it as something that hardly matters for my time in. This is especially true with my year left, a chain that lets people get away with bullshit and I'm not going to reenlist. If I pick up, I'm not gaining anything except more responsibility and being forced to go to boards and stuff because I "have to set the example", experiencing all the bullshit with just a few hundred dollars added to my pocket? Nah, no thanks. I don't view it as me sticking it to the man or anything by not picking up, I just free up a slot for someone that wants it and probably needs it. If you joined the Navy for the money, your efforts would better serve you outside with the same motivation in school. Some people don't have a choice because of walls they built themselves or were born into. If I wanted money I could be doing other things.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I've seen so many dudes gently caress away their exams because of *reasons* over the years. It's mind-boggling. By not trying you just reinforce the idea that you're a shitbag that doesn't care, which results in MORE negative attention on you. Just try, see what happens, maybe you advance. Wow maybe you'd make thousands of extra dollars before your EAOS, what a shame. Not knocking Panda too hard because Lemoore sucks, but at least you'd have a chance of more cash in your bank account if you tried. Wow, you'd have to go to some meetings - that's tough bro. Are you planning to avoid promotion, meetings and increased responsibility after you leave the Navy as well?

Edit: I see your post above, but I still want to know: Will you avoid "dealing with bullshit" at any cost, even after you leave the Navy? Because I'm pretty sure most jobs involve that very thing.

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 22, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Pandasmores posted:

I'm not. I show everyone what to do, I teach every LPO how to do their jobs, I make everyone laugh with jokes and help the new kids out of corps school how to plan ahead and what they need to do to get by, but at the end of the day I view it as something that hardly matters for my time in. This is especially true with my year left, a chain that lets people get away with bullshit and I'm not going to reenlist. If I pick up, I'm not gaining anything except more responsibility and being forced to go to boards and stuff because I "have to set the example", experiencing all the bullshit with just a few hundred dollars added to my pocket? Nah, no thanks. I don't view it as me sticking it to the man or anything by not picking up, I just free up a slot for someone that wants it and probably needs it. If you joined the Navy for the money, your efforts would better serve you outside with the same motivation in school. Some people don't have a choice because of walls they built themselves or were born into. If I wanted money I could be doing other things.

:lol:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I mean poo poo, I would be miserable too if I was an E3 for 5 years.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Pandasmores posted:

I'd say this falls squarely into going full retard territory.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pandasmores posted:

Be sure to document these incidents of idiocy so you can be fully evaluated as disabled by the VA because being a corpsman has broken your brain. You would sacrifice 6 months of higher pay to avoid departmental meetings and someone mentioning to you that you set an example? Being a corpsman is probably awful but refusing money because of how you feel about your command is just dumb. It sounds like they browbeat you to the point that you value the status quo over advancing.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 22, 2014

shipwrecks
Dec 31, 2008

Hey, I'm also in Lemoore at a lovely command. I made rank and am happy about it, am I doing it wrong?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

DustyNuts posted:

Not knocking Panda too hard because Lemoore sucks, but at least you'd have a chance of more cash in your bank account if you tried. Wow, you'd have to go to some meetings - that's tough bro. Are you planning to avoid promotion, meetings and increased responsibility after you leave the Navy as well?

Exactly. Intentionally Christmas-treeing an exam is childish, silly, and literally nobody gets anything out of it. Panda might get 5 minutes of self-gratification thinking he stuck it to the man, but nobody else notices or cares about poo poo like that - he only hurt himself. There are other ways to buck the system and stick it to the man if you don't enjoy what you're doing for your first (and potentially only) term in the Navy. Welcome to the real world: there will *always* be aspects of every job you have in life that are mundane bullshit that you disagree with and would rather not be doing.

Yes, some of that suck is very unique to the military lifestyle and there are certainly a lot of irritating things that civilians will never have to put up with, but you will always have a boss who asks you to do stupid poo poo. You don't think 4-star Admirals/Generals get tasked to do poo poo that they absolutely don't want to do, but have to because SECNAV/SECDEF/POTUS directed it?

All jobs entail you doing things that you may not necessarily want to do.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

I'm not. I show everyone what to do, I teach every LPO how to do their jobs, I make everyone laugh with jokes and help the new kids out of corps school how to plan ahead and what they need to do to get by, but at the end of the day I view it as something that hardly matters for my time in.

You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. Put on your big boy pants for just a second and look at this from a slightly different angle. Pretend the sentence I quoted above was hacked up eval bullets and I was parsing those out into individual actions, this is what I see from a kool-aid drinking O's perspective:

- You're clearly on top of your game to the extent that you're showing your "superiors" (I hate that word) how to do their jobs
- You're affable, personable, and can and make people laugh (this doesn't do much career-wise - at least ostensibly - but people like people they're comfortable around which in your profession is exceptionally important)
- You help/mentor the new boots straight out of their A school and show them what they need to succeed -- I know you don't want to hear this, but it's called "leadership" and you're doing it.
- You're a forward-thinker - This is the kind of thing we expect out of petty officers and senior NCOs. Thinking more than 10 minutes into the future and doing things without being told - initiative is a great thing and people pick up on this kind of poo poo anywhere you go. Being self-motivated - regardless of job or rank is NOT as common as you'd think. Keep doing this.

I'm 100% serious when I say this: you're performing above your paygrade; so why wouldn't you want to show up to the exam, blow it out of the water and SHOW everybody through action (vice inaction) that you're capable of more than just menial, mundane tasks? That's how I see this. When I see somebody junior who is *clearly* doing their boss's job or better yet - their bosses' boss's job - I think "poo poo, this cat gets it. Why the gently caress isn't he 2 paygrades higher when boss-fuckknuckle is incompetent as gently caress?"

THAT is why you show up to the exam, knock it on its rear end, get promoted, get more :10bux:, increase in rank and end up doing less stupid poo poo because you're assigned more meaningful stuff because you've demonstrated that you not only capable of handling it, but handling it with ease. That's the name of the game dude. You're 80% of the way there - the exam is the other 20% of putting it to paper.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 22, 2014

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I think we do this every cycle with panda.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

shipwrecks posted:

Hey, I'm also in Lemoore at a lovely command. I made rank and am happy about it, am I doing it wrong?

I guess you should send Panda a box of cookies or something for valiantly sacrificing that promotion slot for you.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
22 November. Been out a year.

Resolution with Maryland Landlord that sued me for $22,000.

After like 6k in legal/travel costs, I met the dude in court. I put out my testimony. The judge believed me more than him. His damages, minus my security deposit, come to $120.

Feelin' pretty good.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

I'm sorry, I'm sure you're the exception, and you'd be right to say I haven't spent time with shore-side medical, but nearly every dirtbag sailor will tell you literally everything you posted here. This was rewritten to make it sound like a good eval, but this is the other way to read it.

1) Bad attitude, smart rear end, doesn't take the job seriously. Probably cuts corners. Whiner.
2) Shares bad attitude with new people and is a bad influence on new sailors. Promotes poor morale and undermines leadership.
3) Avoids responsibility and can't be trusted to put in effort on tasking.

Sometimes it's valuable to look at yourself from an outside perspective. I have no idea if this stuff is true, but if you're putting out this attitude at work, I guarantee the same inferences are being made. Also, if you constantly talk about how you're getting out and only idiots stay in, you should probably not be surprised that your lifer superiors don't enjoy being implicitly called idiots.

It sounds like you've made your bed in the Navy but you will encounter plenty of stupid crap, idiot coworkers, jerks, and meaningless tasks in "real world" jobs too. Doesn't mean you shouldn't get out, but a strong "grass is greener" bias can lead to serious disappointment.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Aleksi is spot on with the inferences thing.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

TsarAleksi posted:

It sounds like you've made your bed in the Navy but you will encounter plenty of stupid crap, idiot coworkers, jerks, and meaningless tasks in "real world" jobs too. Doesn't mean you shouldn't get out, but a strong "grass is greener" bias can lead to serious disappointment.

At least I can quit in the real world. Or at the very least tell a superior to gently caress off without threat of going to mast- just risk a bad job reference in the future. :rolleyes:

Someone once told me you don't get to pick your family or your coworkers.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

I guess I just bought into their whole Honor Courage and Commitment bullshit, and the fact that they are always spouting poo poo that is pretty much propaganda is another thing I hate. A civilian job is just a job, if a coworker on the outside tried to sell working in a lab or working on a patient ward as a lifestyle I'd just push them away. But when it comes to something like the Navy, the job can really be a lifestyle if you want it to be. And from what I've seen with the people spouting the whole honor and blah blah blah, there isn't any. It was about the money with them, not the professionalism required for the job, the added responsibility of mentoring someone, the awareness that you are held to a higher standard. A lot of people come into this wanting just the money and just go through the motions of everything else they're supposed to stand for. But whatever, I'll give it a shot next exam and see where it goes. Just be ready for my homicidal posts about hanging the fat rear end third class and second classes that are cheating the system.

Edit: And Aleksi, I don't call them idiots. I just think that if you don't have any ounce of pride in the uniform and legitimately just go through the motions for the money, then you aren't looking at the big picture. If you stay in solely for the money, no pride, no care for anyone but yourself, nothing that falls within the definition of the image of what a service member is supposed to embody from the best values of a society, then there's something wrong. It's those people that usually gently caress over the good guy going up and then end up being the person everyone hates but no one can touch.

Edit2: and thanks for the straight advice goons. I'm going to give it thought and change. At least now I'll think more into it and won't go from "get a degree and become and LDO" to "I'm just going to get out, play Destiny, and apply for every welfare I can" like some of my friends. So I guess I need new friends.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Pandasmores posted:

I guess I just bought into their whole Honor Courage and Commitment bullshit, and the fact that they are always spouting poo poo that is pretty much propaganda is another thing I hate. A civilian job is just a job, if a coworker on the outside tried to sell working in a lab or working on a patient ward as a lifestyle I'd just push them away.

I take it you have never worked for a major corporation before. I have the GOOD ENGINEERING PRINCIPLES card of virtue that I have to wear on my security badge. We have company picnics that you are expected to attend. We have a PRIDE STORE where you can spend cash or company scrip. There are company posters everywhere. We have MECHANIC OF THE WEEK and ENGINEER OF THE MONTH awards.

Sound familiar?

• Locked thread