Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Zereth posted:

I wonder if you can make things reproduce by the spore behavior again.

Probably not. Besides, if there were any cut game behaviors that I'd want back, spores would not top the list. I want "Elephants Never Forget... REVENGE" back, where all creatures of the same species used to share a single hostility tag, so that once you upset a single animal, all animals of that species would thirst for your blood forever after. Actively hunting you down. It was what made Elephants "a thing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Flesh Forge posted:

Surely someone will find a way to geld dwarves.

Now all we need is a wall to send them to.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Iunnrais posted:

Probably not. Besides, if there were any cut game behaviors that I'd want back, spores would not top the list. I want "Elephants Never Forget... REVENGE" back, where all creatures of the same species used to share a single hostility tag, so that once you upset a single animal, all animals of that species would thirst for your blood forever after. Actively hunting you down. It was what made Elephants "a thing".
I was going to say "what about creatures that are like, walking mushrooms" except yeah, being able to throw that on some random species would be pretty cool.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
first gay dwarfs and now this, what agenda is toady one trying to push on impressionable gamers

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

ghetto wormhole posted:

I mean that's an easy and logical way to prevent catsplosions and stuff.

And why would we want to stop that, huh?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Glory of Arioch posted:

the lengths he went to in order to avoid actually making animal penises is laudable

Yeah, this is starting to worry and annoy me. Is Tarn getting more puritan as the years go on? I understand the problem with people posting their weird rape adventures all over the internet, but it is already a game where you can slowly torture children to death, if you were so inclined. Still, nobody would say that this aspect is in any way central to the 'idea' behind Dwarf Fortress.

It just seems weird that the same person who made Liberal Crime Squad would have such a typical 'American' attitude towards sex/violence.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

He probably just didn't want to give modders a properly supported penis to work with in the raws

That and "my game features animal penises now" is kind of a weird thing to say. even if you add to the end "just so you can do something as innocent as castrate animals"

I doubt he cares personally but making an effort to keep things as tasteful as can be managed is nice

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 22, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

That whole discussion about animal dicks - and the, granted, rather disgusting image that it brought to my head - reminded me of a thing a goon said in this thread.

Goon posted:

It's nice to know that we, as a species, are capable of masturbating even to ASCII.

That was said in conjuction with the hole masterwork dwarf succubi that had very...detailed description of their breasts.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The less the engine supports weird creepy rape fantasies the better. I'm pretty sure Tarn and Toady don't want to come any closer to another Obok Meatgod than they need to.

Personally, I've never had an issue with animal population control, even cats. I'd just have a communal cage that I'd shove everything I didn't actively need into. As long as they weren't grazers it'd be fine. If they WERE grazers, then I'd just immediately slaughter extra newborns.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
Isn't it already really easy to mod in penises if you are so inclined?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

king salmon posted:

/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

He probably just didn't want to give modders a properly supported penis to work with in the raws

That and "my game features animal penises now" is kind of a weird thing to say. even if you add to the end "just so you can do something as innocent as castrate animals"

You don't need a penis body part to model castration, since the penis isn't even involved in the operation.

That said, we don't need ASCII testicles either.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

king salmon posted:

The body part itself, sure. But is it possible to give it the appropriate reproductive function (that would be lost upon castration/removal)? It seems that Tarn's very roundabout implementation is intended to prevent that, with the tag apparently only working on very simple, 'foundational' body parts like the lower body/upper body, etc.

Or am I reading the most recent changelog wrong?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

... and the severed part sails off in an arc...

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Gimmick Account posted:

The body part itself, sure. But is it possible to give it the appropriate reproductive function (that would be lost upon castration/removal)? It seems that Tarn's very roundabout implementation is intended to prevent that, with the tag apparently only working on very simple, 'foundational' body parts like the lower body/upper body, etc.

Or am I reading the most recent changelog wrong?

I think it's that the simple tags are the ones that can be added on a caste level without having to have two versions of your body definitions, not that tags can only be added to simple body parts.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dongs are hilarious. Please add dongs, Toady. :dong: :dong: :dong:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kennel posted:

Dongs are hilarious. Please add dongs, Toady. :dong: :dong: :dong:

Fel moods would be hilarious.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Slime posted:

Fel moods would be hilarious.

Looking forward to when Toady adds infidelity and a dwarfette goes into a fell mood when her husband cheats on her, drags him to the butcher's workshop and cuts his dick off and makes an artifact out of it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Leal posted:

Looking forward to when Toady adds infidelity and a dwarfette goes into a fell mood when her husband cheats on her, drags him to the butcher's workshop and cuts his dick off and makes an artifact out of it.

brb makin' some boner bolts

megane
Jun 20, 2008

This is a dwarf leather Cock. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. The object menaces with spikes of dwarf bone. On the object is an image of Urist "That Swine" Ulabriuz in dwarf leather. Urist "That Swine" Ulabriuz is making a plaintive gesture.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Most dwarven news to date.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...l-anteater-meat

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Leal posted:

Hellmoo: The Roguelike

k leal
pow
cut dick from corpse

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Was going to post something about how animal breeding, geldings/wethers/oxen and so on are actually really important parts of fantasy world-building, and that it doesn't have to be about 3rd grade dick humor and how I'm sure only a minority can't help themselves when they see a game that doesn't ignore how reproduction actually works...

megane posted:

This is a dwarf leather Cock.

Slime posted:

cut dick from corpse

Shibawanko posted:

... and the severed part sails off in an arc...

king salmon posted:

Oh, right, now I know why ignoring this topic was always the right move.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
The Dwarf bites the Goblin in the lower body, geld-able area, but the attack is deflected by Goblin's steel codpiece!
The Goblin attacks the Dwarf but Dwarf jumps away!
The Dwarf bites the Goblin in the lower body, geld-able area, bruising the skin!
The Dwarf latches on firmly!
The Goblin looks numb!
The Dwarf shakes the Goblin around by the geld-able area!
It is torn!
The Dwarf spits out the goblin Chunk.
The Goblin passes out.
The Goblin falls over.
It is raining.
There is a gentle breeze blowing from the east.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

TildeATH posted:

Was going to post something about how animal breeding, geldings/wethers/oxen and so on are actually really important parts of fantasy world-building, and that it doesn't have to be about 3rd grade dick humor and how I'm sure only a minority can't help themselves when they see a game that doesn't ignore how reproduction actually works...

People making dick-themed jokes here on somethingawful.com? Why I never

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Toady should take a page from Fallout and just have a generic "groin" body part that does the reproductive stuff.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Not only is animal husbandry important for fantasy worlds, it's important for ours.

Just think, if you have ever eaten a hamburger, the process first starts with someone sticking an electro-shock dildo up a bull's rear end.

I'm not sure though how I feel about that being modeled in a video game about fantasy dwarves though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tarezax posted:

Toady should take a page from Fallout and just have a generic "groin" body part that does the reproductive stuff.

Long-range sniper shots to the groin are always welcome.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

captain innocuous posted:

Not only is animal husbandry important for fantasy worlds, it's important for ours.

Just think, if you have ever eaten a hamburger, the process first starts with someone sticking an electro-shock dildo up a bull's rear end.

I'm not sure though how I feel about that being modeled in a video game about fantasy dwarves though.

Electricity is far too modern, dwarves just have to lock the animals together while jamming on a *slate saxophone* in the next room.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
It's been literally years since I played this game, but it's always kind of surprising to see that it hasn't collapsed in a heap of contradictions. Toady is still adding features faster than most indie games I have seen, and he's probably literally autistic and a hermit. I still remember checking the changelog one time to see "Added burrows today" and stuff like that. I really like that he collapsed the previous devlist, which was enough work to last the rest of his life, into a manageable roadmap.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He's actually pretty gregarious for a guy who spends his life creating the spergiest simulator on Earth.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah Toady is a way more functional human being than pretty much anyone who plays the game he made

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah Toady is a way more functional human being than pretty much anyone who plays the game he made

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

TildeATH posted:

on one hand i agree

on the other hand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8_jgiNqUc

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
like come on you cannot deny the inherent comedy in the penis. dick jokes have been with us long as booze and i will not have you disrespect tradition

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Okay so the thing that mifki was working on, uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6avy8k9bE8c

how did he make a native iOS port

Jewel
May 2, 2009

:aaaaa:

It seems like they've put a loooot of effort into this judging by how even the stockpile window shows three seperate -[0]+ boxes for bins/barrels/etc settings, so all the windows were designed for ios from scratch. I especially love the searching and the "swipe to get extra context sensitive options (like forbid/allow, or repeat)"

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

:iit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

scamtank posted: