Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Never mind you guys suck, I found them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Should I play the other Dragon Age games before this? It looks pretty fun but I don't really want to go through two other million hour games first if it doesn't really matter.
Play Dragon Age 1, which is an awesome game, then read a plot summary of Dragon Age 2, which is okay, but not awesome.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

So I just finished Act 2 and holy poo poo :stare:

All you people dithering in Hitherlands and complaining about boring side quests need to get your asses out of there and advance the plot more. The zones will always be there for you to complete later. The main quest line and set pieces have been pretty awesome.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Pickles posted:

This is the first thing I've read about this game that actually makes me want to try it.

You're perfectly free to scream at the top of your lungs that you don't believe in the Maker, there has never been any divine intervention in what you do, and you survive due to simple luck rather than divine providence or legendary courage or skill. Not even all of your companions buy it. Dorian told my Inquisitor to her face that no matter what she says, he believes that the Maker had a hand in her presence and actions.

Again, anyone know where I find the letters people apparently write to the Inquisitor?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Save the loving world, if pressed.

Ah, I see. So you're never leaving my party, then. 10/10 first impression

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Is there a separate thread for multiplayer? If not there should be! Just unlocked Assassin, holy cow the stealth attack damage :stare:

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"
For those who have checked out the multiplayer, how long does the average random generated "dungeon" take to complete? Or rather, how large are the areas? I haven't been able to find very complete information on the multi-player aspects. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Save the loving world, if pressed.

Ah, I see. So you're never leaving my party, then. 10/10 first impression

I ended up romancing him instead of the super boring Cullen. He's been a great character so far. I don't get the fangirling for Cullen anyway. He's like an even blander Alistair if that's even possible.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Noirex posted:

I ended up romancing him instead of the super boring Cullen. He's been a great character so far. I don't get the fangirling for Cullen anyway. He's like an even blander Alistair if that's even possible.

Cullen fills the necessary quota of Bioware's "White Male with Baggage" with his whole lyrium addiction thing, like Alistair and Kaidan and Carth before that. Not that Blackwall doesn't have baggage, he just has a very different way of dealing with it...

He's also the best Companion, and that's in a game with Varric in it. Blackwall/Varric/Solas is the Broteam.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This game needs a serious interface pass, ugh. That's my biggest problem with it so far. Inventory management is a joke, the paper dolls are awful, you can't compare equipment from the crafting screen to see if X or Y will be better than what you already have, you can't change hotkeys or level up in combat (which wouldn't be a problem except sometimes the game thinks I'm stuck in combat when I'm not,) all sorts of things. Like, basic poo poo -- maybe float usable equipment up to the top of the menu so I don't have to scroll through a mass of red to get to the one item I can actually use?

Also, is there an inquisition perk or something that makes the minimap an actual minimap?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

He's also the best Companion, and that's in a game with Varric in it. Blackwall/Varric/Solas is the Broteam.

That's my party most of the time. We're are just a bunch of chill guys who want to right wrongs and defeat evil.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

There's so much stuff in this loving game! I'm walking around Emprise du Lion, I want to check out the view of the valley below me and spot a tent on the side of the cliff. I read the note in the tent and it unlocks an operation to find a dungeon! No side quest marker, no nothing on the map, just a lovely tent on some cliff (location: NE most corner of the area before repairing the bridge). And it wasn't some lovely corridor only dungeon, it was a nice elven ruin I spent 15 mins exploring, with tons of loot including a bunch of tier 3 weapon schematics and the superb spirit rune one! The final reward was this:

I would have totally missed the whole thing if I hadn't decided to look at a tent!
Also crafted a nice new staff afterwards, my K-E completely raping poo poo on hard now:

Since there's so many bow rogues, I made a nice bow for you to look at:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

Again, anyone know where I find the letters people apparently write to the Inquisitor?

It's a category in the codex.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's a category in the codex.

Ah, thank you.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Did anyone else make Sera a dagger rogue instantly? Makes a few dialogs where she talks about filling things with arrows and people compliment her on her eagle eye sort of weird. I mean, you already have Varric for archery and you don't get Cole until later, so she had no niche to fill. I guess the answer is to kick her out of the Inquisition but I don't think she's that awful. Or at least she hasn't done anything completely boneheaded like Merrill did so I don't hate her yet.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Great things happen when you trigger dialogue while jumping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6MI097IAiwe

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I just filled the requisition to choose between a mage and templar tower-- where do I go to actually make that choice?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Leelee posted:

You can't check until you get to Haven. Talk to Varric about the events of DA2. The quartermaster will tell you who is king or queen. Leliana will talk about the Warden.

Sigh... started all over, created a new character, played the Intro again... and it's still ignoring my Keep decisions. The default decisions are so far off what I want, there's no way I can ignore it.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Anyone else having trouble running it on the PC, I'm seemingly well above the recommended requirements but unless I set it mostly on medium or low then it crawls along, for the record I've got the 8gb memory, quad core intel 3ghz and a Radeon HD 7950 with 3gb graphics memory which is 1gb more than they say for recommended to run it.

I feel like it should run better than it does for me, anyone got any tips?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So far my biggest problem with this game is why can't I look like THIS?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Ballz posted:

Sigh... started all over, created a new character, played the Intro again... and it's still ignoring my Keep decisions. The default decisions are so far off what I want, there's no way I can ignore it.

I had the same problems. Did you save your Keep in a file called World State #? If you don't, it'll read "Default" as the actual default choices. It took me until hours into the playthrough where Leliana referred to the Warden as a dead Dalish elf that I realized what happened.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Is there a show FPS console command for DAI? I'm curious exactly what framerates I'm getting.

EDIT: Also, is there a place where I can make the HUD scale a little smaller? I've looked everywhere in the options.

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 22, 2014

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I really wish I could name my savegames, it's hard to make safety saves for potential plot bugs when everything is "Bumblefuck 10:45, Bumblefuck 10:52"

Also tooltips in the inventory not updating when you're scrolling through it. Bioware please

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 22, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Geostomp posted:

I had the same problems. Did you save your Keep in a file called World State #? If you don't, it'll read "Default" as the actual default choices. It took me until hours into the playthrough where Leliana referred to the Warden as a dead Dalish elf that I realized what happened.

this isn't true. my world state is still called Default World State and all my choices came through.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

Cullen fills the necessary quota of Bioware's "White Male with Baggage" with his whole lyrium addiction thing, like Alistair and Kaidan and Carth before that. Not that Blackwall doesn't have baggage, he just has a very different way of dealing with it...

Blackwall's romance has been pretty good too, he's got the whole tormented thing going on, but with an interesting Warden twist. Can't wait to see how that develops.

Speaking of Broteam, I have Blackwall, Iron Bull and Cole in my team and it's like having a 2 big brothers taking care of a younger one. Iron Bull keeps calling Cole little guy and is concerned about him a lot. It's pretty :3:

Regarding the World State, it's not the name that is important, there is a time/date stamp for your Keep World State and it has to match the one given in game when you confirm it in a New Game.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So I just turned in an item to Dagna and she gave me back... this.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Moonbloodsflow posted:

For those who have checked out the multiplayer, how long does the average random generated "dungeon" take to complete? Or rather, how large are the areas? I haven't been able to find very complete information on the multi-player aspects. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The multiplayer areas aren't very large. And the dungeons usually take anywhere from 15-40 minutes to complete based on difficulty/party competence, etc.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Robzilla posted:

She was probably too busy reading. :colbert:

I loved that minor bit

Bioware really made me give a poo poo about my companions

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sorry about the question but when I look around to find player impressions all I find are people still salty over the last game. Did they succeed making a fun game for someone who enjoyed the first game and even found some enjoyment in the second?

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Yes.

gently caress the interface, though.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sorry about the question but when I look around to find player impressions all I find are people still salty over the last game. Did they succeed making a fun game for someone who enjoyed the first game and even found some enjoyment in the second?

Yeah you'll be fine. It's buggy and has lots of little UI issues but it's a pretty good game overall

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

To be honest, I'd recommend asking yourself whether you like modern/Ubisoft-style open world design and MMOs. The game feels like it has a lot more in common with those than the first two Dragon Age games in terms of structure, pacing and quest design.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I've heard of a few people having this problem so hopefully someone has a solution or some insight.

When I hold right mouse to enter mouse look mode, my camera sometimes skips wildly to the side or behind me or something. I notice that if I simply right click (without holding), my mouse will sometimes jump to the center of the screen. I wonder if that has something to do with it - it's trying to auto center the mouse or something (so you don't end up with it off screen) but a bug is making that auto center behavior happen after you enter mouse look mode and it jerks your camera around?

This annoys me constantly. I've tried 2 different mouses & fullscreen vs windowed settings. Smoothing is off. Anyone got a clue?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Geostomp posted:

Roobanguy posted:

this isn't true. my world state is still called Default World State and all my choices came through.

I wonder if maybe it has to do with console or settings within (I'm on a lowly 360). I renamed it, created a second world state for poo poo and giggles, and instructed the Keep to import my newly renamed state for a new game. When I started up the new game, the imported world state's save time matched the one I wanted to import... so guess I'll just have to trudge through it one more time and see what happens.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

What impact does your choice of race have on plot? Is it significant enough or just a few minor cosmetic dialogues?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kraftwerk posted:

What impact does your choice of race have on plot? Is it significant enough or just a few minor cosmetic dialogues?

It's felt fairly significant for my elf. I don't think it actually changes anything in the plot, but characters react to it a lot.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's good, but it doesn't really play like DA1. It's more 3rd person with an iffy tactical view you can use for particularly difficult sections.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

There's a lot of stuff like that surrounding Blackwall. He's definitely one of the best realized characters I've seen in a Bioware game for some time, considering his personal desire to do good in spite of his checkered past and (major spoilers) in spite of his not actually being a Grey Warden.

I loving called it. I mean it was sort of telegraphed but still, I'm glad I wasn't just making stuff up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone else get into multiplayer matches where running around is impossible but jumping around is ok? I just got out of one. I was funny at first but it was irritating when we got to the boss.

They seriously need to patch this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone have a completed map of the hinterlands so I can find all the viewpoints?

Also where do I get the wedge of destiny? Can I get it at level 8?

• Locked thread