Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you! For some reason, my Google searches only turned up the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NormalCat
Mar 25, 2006
I set out to draw a bad Canadian political cartoon and I think I succeeded, except it needs more labels.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Seriously, Cobb cartoon #4 is dead on for today. Cameras everywhere, police in armored vehicles - spooky!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Pignog posted:

I set out to draw a bad Canadian political cartoon and I think I succeeded, except it needs more labels.

I think you need to make everyone who isn't a politician in the comic apologizing for whats happening to them. Possibly in a condescending way if you could!

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:wth: colour me surprised

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Pilchenstein posted:

That's not the joke though, the joke is literally "once they're married, they'll be the Manson family just like his gang, the Manson Family". It's fruit so low hanging, it's scraping the earth's core.
:doh: I'm not sure how I didn't get that, it's the most obvious joke ever. (That might be why, it's too obvious.:v:) Continuing with obvious jokes, have some cartoons making fun of Manson's "traditional marriage":
So much crosshatching, and missing colors beside Manson's head.

Beeler shows that he still breaks the Republican line on social issues; he's also the first one to portray Manson's wife/marriage as more "Bonnie and Clyde" than a lovestruck infatuation.

I am so happy to be wrong, someone did make fun of Manson's height.:allears:

Unrelated to Manson, have another crosshatched horror:
I'll admit, it got a snicker out of me.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 22, 2014

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Ha...ha? JRRose is usually more um, coherent, right?

Occasionally he makes local college sports jokes :shrug:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
drat, R Cobb is so good. Love the surveillance state comic.

Rushputin posted:

If I had GIMP installed I would have put some effort into this and made a tiny deformed left wing and maybe changed the text a bit, but this still seems much more realistic.

The left wing is labelled right wing. drat you, you've discovered another weather vane.

Oh wait, turkey is on its back. The fool is me.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 22, 2014

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Pignog posted:

I like this but please label the cats

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Theris posted:

Varvel tweeted this last night:

But the one on the Star's website looks like this:

I guess someone at the paper must have actually thought "I dunno, that's a little too racist, let's tone it down a bit." The tweet with the original is still up though.

Neil Gaiman of all people just retweeted the moustachioed version. In disgust, I hasten to add.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Pignog posted:

Missing Justin Trudeau with foot in moith.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pignog posted:

Missing Justin Trudeau pulling out his CF-18 and waving it around to show how big it is.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Whats funny is if the Puritans could this they totally would because they were a bunch of assholes

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Whats funny is if the Puritans could this they totally would because they were a bunch of assholes

I... what? :psyduck:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yeah had a brain fart

I meant that the Puritans would do that if they could

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

achillesforever6 posted:

They'd jump a fence and get picked up by the Wampanoag border police?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

colonel_korn posted:

:wth: colour me surprised

I actually blurted out "holy poo poo" when I saw this because it just seems so out of character for Payne. I mean this is the guy that portrayed caps on political donations as burning the first amendment.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

http://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/2014/11/22/jeff-taylor-gary-varvel-thanksgiving-cartoon-immigration-opinion/19408509/

Jeff Taylor, executive editor of the Indianapolis Star, posted:

On Friday, we posted a Gary Varvel cartoon at indystar.com that offended a wide group of readers.

Many of them labeled it as racist. Gary did not intend to be racially insensitive in his attempt to express his strong views about President Barack Obama's decision to temporarily prevent the deportation of millions of immigrants living and working illegally in the United States.

But we erred in publishing it.

The cartoon depicted an immigrant family climbing through a window of a white family's home as Thanksgiving dinner was served. I was uncomfortable with the depiction when I saw it after it was posted. We initially decided to leave the cartoon posted to allow readers to comment and because material can never truly be eliminated once it is circulating on the web. But we are removing the cartoon from the opinion section of our website, as well as an earlier version posted on Facebook that showed one character with a mustache.

This action is not a comment on the issue of illegal immigration or a statement about Gary's right to express his opinions strongly. We encourage and support diverse opinion. But the depictions in this case were inappropriate; his point could have been expressed in other ways.

Cartoons are seldom intended to be read literally. And Gary did not intend this one to be viewed that way. He intended to illustrate the view of many conservatives and others that the president's order will encourage more people to pour into the country illegally.

The illegal immigration issue evokes strong opinions and emotions. And it's important to encourage a vigorous public debate on issues of this magnitude, but with respectful discourse. That is what we believe at IndyStar and that is what we will continue to do – to publish views from all sides as we explore the important issues that will define the future of our nation, state and city.

Apple Pie Hubbub fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 22, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gilganixon posted:

They'd jump a fence and get picked up by the Wampanoag border police?
Okay now is the time to admit that I wasn't really paying attention (I was getting ready to head out for dinner), I thought the cartoon was showing Puritans building a border fence and preventing people from coming in. So yeah egg on my face there.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

I actually blurted out "holy poo poo" when I saw this because it just seems so out of character for Payne. I mean this is the guy that portrayed caps on political donations as burning the first amendment.

He strikes me as being smart enough to recognize that nativism isn't doing the GOP any favors. He's rooting for good strategy, not ethical behavior.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Gary did not intend to be racially insensitive in his attempt
Can everyone in the whole world just drop this part of the usual explanations for things like this? Thanks in advance.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

bunnyofdoom posted:

Canada toon. Basically our veterans affairs is a bigger shitstorm than yours because at least yours isn't bragging about not spending 1.3 billion allocated to help vets. YEs, really.

Goddammit. This brought back memories of the time they sent a soldier who had been dead for two years from suicide a cheque for a single penny.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/dead-soldier-gets-1-cent-cheque-from-federal-government-1.2559809

"Whoops, we messed up his paycheque! Here's what he's really worth to us, have a great day!"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Twelve by Pies posted:

The Republican anti-immigrant fanaticism is going to hurt them and everyone knows it. Problem for the weepy orange man supposedly in charge of them is that he has too large a tea party caucus to piss off by bringing the bill to a vote.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
So I got a letter from Pelican Books saying that they're discontinuing The Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year book series. It was published annually from 1972 to 2014. Charles Brooks, a cartoonist from Birmingham, was the original editor, but he died in late 2011, with the 2012 edition being his last. The 2013 edition was edited by Steve Kelley ("Dustin"), while the 2014 edition (the last one) was edited by Dean Turnbloom.

It's probably obvious to people here that there were never anything "best" about them. In fact, any cartoonist who submitted stuff to them were guaranteed to get at least one included in the book. One 'toonist told me he stopped sending stuff to them once he realized that.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

achillesforever6 posted:

Okay now is the time to admit that I wasn't really paying attention (I was getting ready to head out for dinner), I thought the cartoon was showing Puritans building a border fence and preventing people from coming in. So yeah egg on my face there.

Well, too bad. This thread is going to remember you having a bad time and a wrong opinion and they'll drag it up EACH and EVERY SINGLE TIME you do a thing they don't like.

They own you now. You're done. Good luck having your voice heard indiscriminately in public discourse ever again!

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

fade5 posted:

Unrelated to Manson, have another crosshatched horror:
I'll admit, it got a snicker out of me.

I like the concept, but what the hell is going on with that trunk? It's got a wind-up key at the end.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Up next in Little Big Politics, we have the origin of Earth Day and the lovely hill that thankfully nobody chose to die on.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mister Beeg posted:

So I got a letter from Pelican Books saying that they're discontinuing The Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year book series. It was published annually from 1972 to 2014. Charles Brooks, a cartoonist from Birmingham, was the original editor, but he died in late 2011, with the 2012 edition being his last. The 2013 edition was edited by Steve Kelley ("Dustin"), while the 2014 edition (the last one) was edited by Dean Turnbloom.

It's probably obvious to people here that there were never anything "best" about them. In fact, any cartoonist who submitted stuff to them were guaranteed to get at least one included in the book. One 'toonist told me he stopped sending stuff to them once he realized that.

I stumbled across the 1994 volume while going through a box of my parents' stuff a few months back. It has a Ramirez on the cover. That was a nice thing to find.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I think it's more that a lot of poo poo hasn't really changed since his time :smith:

edit: wtf somehow I missed a whole page? Responding to posts about R. Cobb being apparently prophetic.

Mr. Belpit fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 23, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Varvel's racist cartoon made gawker, hise editor has said publishing the cartoon was a mistake

quote:

The Indianapolis Star ran a Thanksgiving-themed cartoon today, from editorial cartoonist Gary Varvel, featuring a family bursting through the window of another family's Thanksgiving feast. "Thanks to the president's immigration order," says the family patriarch, "we'll be having extra guests this Thanksgiving." Ha-ha!

Is there a time more befitting of a cartoon lampooning unwelcome foreign guests than during the United States' holiday Thanksgiving? I cannot think of one.

http://gawker.com/newspaper-runs-ra...dium=socialflow

Here's the editor's comments:

quote:

On Friday, we posted a Gary Varvel cartoon at indystar.com that offended a wide group of readers.

Many of them labeled it as racist. Gary did not intend to be racially insensitive in his attempt to express his strong views about President Barack Obama's decision to temporarily prevent the deportation of millions of immigrants living and working illegally in the United States.
But we erred in publishing it.
The cartoon depicted an immigrant family climbing through a window of a white family's home as Thanksgiving dinner was served. I was uncomfortable with the depiction when I saw it after it was posted. We initially decided to leave the cartoon posted to allow readers to comment and because material can never truly be eliminated once it is circulating on the web. But we are removing the cartoon from the opinion section of our website, as well as an earlier version posted on Facebook that showed one character with a mustache.
This action is not a comment on the issue of illegal immigration or a statement about Gary's right to express his opinions strongly. We encourage and support diverse opinion. But the depictions in this case were inappropriate; his point could have been expressed in other ways.
Cartoons are seldom intended to be read literally. And Gary did not intend this one to be viewed that way. He intended to illustrate the view of many conservatives and others that the president's order will encourage more people to pour into the country illegally.
The illegal immigration issue evokes strong opinions and emotions. And it's important to encourage a vigorous public debate on issues of this magnitude, but with respectful discourse. That is what we believe at IndyStar and that is what we will continue to do – to publish views from all sides as we explore the important issues that will define the future of our nation, state and city.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Oh, good. He didn't intend to be racist!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

quote:

Gary did not intend this one to be viewed [as racist]

quote:

He intended to illustrate the view of many conservatives

:confused:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Hmmm...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe this thread has desensitized me, but I didn't think that cartoon was even that racist by conservative cartoonist standards. There have been way worse cartoons posted just in the last week, why get upset over this one rather than an actually abhorrent one?

e: don't get me wrong it's racist, but there have been waaaay more racist cartoons published recently.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mister Beeg posted:

Few more Ron Cobb cartoons:

This dude is utterly brutal, and I love it.

...when I'm not crying into my sleeve over how doomed we are.

However, I totally want a Firestorm Mach 8 in every video game. Every. There is no game that cannot be improved by a muscle car of doom.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Is it me, or has there been a recent uptick in editors having to apologize for political cartoons they run? I've been following these threads for years now (:negative:) and don't remember any cartoons garnering that kind of attention except for Delonas' chimpanzee one, but in the last year alone we've had two editors saying "No, what the cartoonist actually meant was _____."

Basically I'm waiting for someone to run a cartoon featuring a Sambo Obama clutching a watermelon while legions of Frito Banditos run around behind his back.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

You see, Gary did not intend the cartoon to be interpreted as what it literally is, ie racist. Instead, he intended it to be viewed as an illustration and support of racist views, which is not in itself racist. Hope this helps everyone.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

vyelkin posted:

Maybe this thread has desensitized me, but I didn't think that cartoon was even that racist by conservative cartoonist standards. There have been way worse cartoons posted just in the last week, why get upset over this one rather than an actually abhorrent one?

e: don't get me wrong it's racist, but there have been waaaay more racist cartoons published recently.

In the end all it amounted to was that useless article and empty apology, so I wouldn't worry about deciphering the pattern at work here. I don't think any specific reason, other than being off-frequency for this week's dog whistles, caused this to get singled out.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Due to Friend Computer's all-seeing benevolence, trouble is scarce. Citizens who become aware of trouble are asked to report it to Friend Computer, who will dispatch friendly neighborhood Troubleshooters to deal with the trouble. The existence of trouble is impossible due to Friend Computer's omniscience. Claiming that Friend Computer cannot prevent or eliminate all trouble is treason. Treason is punishable by death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Basically I'm waiting for someone to run a cartoon featuring a Sambo Obama clutching a watermelon while legions of Frito Banditos run around behind his back.

I'm reminded that those Frito Bandito commercials were directed by Tex Avery. One of the things he did to keep getting paychecks after leaving MGM.

• Locked thread