Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Karmoderm posted:

Won a PTQ for Fate Reforged today, in Melbourne. Didn't lose a match all day, and played a huge number of morphs (morphs are gas). Excited to go to the PT (and the US) again!

Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

C-Euro posted:

I could see it starting with Invasion since that's where the modern block design philosophy began to exist, but Masques block has stuff like Counterspell, Brainstorm, Dark Ritual, and Rishadan Port that Wizards probably doesn't want in Modern. I don't think pushing it back to Invasion would introduce anything too degenerate but I could be wrong, they could even include 7th Edition in that group as well but I think giving blue access to Counterspell and Memory Lapse might be too much.

Then I could play Astral Slide again!

It would be awful now but it is my favorite deck

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Ahahhhahah got the deck submission error in the limited championship finals. 140 card deck, glad i bothered to qualifier and all that poo poo.

gently caress it

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Reene posted:

I got fed 3 Chiefs (2 edge 1 scale), 2 Disowned Ancestors, 2 Hordechiefs, 2 Warshriekers, Mardu Ascendancy, Bloodflies, and a Murderous Cut during draft tonight. Dunno what the gently caress everyone else at my table was playing. :psyduck:
Played someone who got handed that deck, although I didn't see the Ascendancy or Cut. I would have beat him with Temur Prowess Punch if hadn't Dead Drop'd me the turn before I could kill him with my two dudes on the board.

I know all the reasons why Dead Drop isn't a great card, but drat if it isn't back-breaking in the right situation.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Andrew Jessup trolling or just dumb on camera showing that he has at least one Windswept Heath in his W/U Heroic deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

I could see it starting with Invasion since that's where the modern block design philosophy began to exist, but Masques block has stuff like Counterspell, Brainstorm, Dark Ritual, and Rishadan Port that Wizards probably doesn't want in Modern. I don't think pushing it back to Invasion would introduce anything too degenerate but I could be wrong, they could even include 7th Edition in that group as well but I think giving blue access to Counterspell and Memory Lapse might be too much.

We were talking about that last night after legacy. This would include such fun and fair cards as Tendrils of Agony, Entomb, Mind's Desire, and Stifle (I would be fine with Stifle.

Edit:
Oops, we were talking about starting in Onslaught Block.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Boco_T posted:

Andrew Jessup trolling or just dumb on camera showing that he has at least one Windswept Heath in his W/U Heroic deck.
Does he play any delve cards

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Snacksmaniac posted:

Does he play any delve cards
I guess Tom Ross's list has 2 Cruise in the sideboard, but if that's the reason that's almost as sketchy.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
He's splashing for Qasali Pridemage you guys, duh. Serious answer, it could have been a Flooded Strand?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So Wizards had a Facebook thing where they asked for players' favourite Commanders.

Here's the ones with the most likes.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Serperoth posted:

So Wizards had a Facebook thing where they asked for players' favourite Commanders.

Here's the ones with the most likes.

Chromanticore. :colbert:

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
Why is that Storm Crow there?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Storm Crow is supposedly one of the strongest cards in Magic, according to the Internet. I think it's the fact that it presents a 20 turn clock while being large enough to survive powerful removal spells like Electrickery.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ungulateman posted:

Storm Crow is supposedly one of the strongest cards in Magic, according to the Internet. I think it's the fact that it presents a 20 turn clock while being large enough to survive powerful removal spells like Electrickery.

All while pitching to Force of Will.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

suicidesteve posted:

All while pitching to Force of Will.

Yeah but it dies to doom blade.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I get the idea behind most of those faves, but...Isamaru? Even as a joke?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

InterrupterJones posted:

Isamaru in a deck full of equipment is a fantastic Commander starting point. In 1 v 1, if your opponent stumbles just a bit you just bite their face off.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

We were talking about that last night after legacy. This would include such fun and fair cards as Tendrils of Agony, Entomb, Mind's Desire, and Stifle (I would be fine with Stifle.

Edit:
Oops, we were talking about starting in Onslaught Block.

Mind's Desire would be banned immediately and I don't think Tendrils would be as good without Dark Ritual combined with the other bans to keep storm down. Entomb would make graveyard decks better but there's plenty of graveyard hate running around in Modern. Stifle eh.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

There's a Reddit thread where a Hearthstone player who doesn't know a whole lot about Magic tries to evaluate cards. Some highlights:

on Dark Confidant posted:

Not a fan of this, in my perspective, life is more important than card advantage and what if you drew something with 10 mana? Still not good in low cost decks, you can't choose to either draw or not draw and your opponent may abuse it easily. Also it's weak.

on StP posted:

Swords to Plowshares: Not worth it to sacrifice a big and buff minion to gain a few health, it's better to block the attack with your minion than destroy it. Pretty much it...

Skullclamp posted:

It's a great way of "trading guys" as your opponent will have a tough decision on whether to block and potentially let him draw two cards and maybe have their minion dead or to soak up the damage. Good for its land cost.

(obviously I'm not trying to make fun of him, it's just funny how different the two games are in terms of what's good.)

vOv fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 22, 2014

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
I love how he thinks you swords your own guys to gain life and that you randomly have 10 cmc spells in your deck (even without bob!)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mordieth posted:

I love how he thinks you swords your own guys to gain life and that you randomly have 10 cmc spells in your deck (even without bob!)

Most of the decks I've seen on stream in any format are running a handful of 8 mana spells at this point which is why Bob is seeing substantially less play post-Theros (also, burn/aggro getting better).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
We've seen in this very thread how even those w/ a bit more magic experience have trouble properly evaluating those type of cards.

(He might not be a very good Hearthstone player either).

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

There's a similar topic in the Hearthstone reddit too. The Magic player is generally getting evaluations right, but the consensus is that the Hearthstone player making guesses isn't too good at it (and he really isn't, life worth more than card advantage? Not in Hearthstone.).

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
That player just seems like they are bad at evaluating cards even in the context of Hearthstone. The Warlock ability lets you pay life for cards and is very good. Swords to Plowshares would probably be better in Hearthstone than it is in Magic. For example, the only card that just destroys target creature is five mana.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It looks like they just misunderstood what StP does (maybe thinking "exile" means "sacrifice", I dunno how similar Hearthstone terminology is), and to be fair it is kindof unbelievable the first time you see it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Even then, when you look at his guess on Dark Confidant, he's got very little understanding of the use of paying life for card advantage. The Warlock decks often play lots of little creatures/minions to push out lots of damage in no time. Not to mention, you get thirty life, not twenty in Hearthstone.

Also, watching SCG right now is great. We've got a draw go white blue deck that just keeps picking up Pearl Lake Ancient to play those Radiant Fountains again and again.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Ramos posted:

Also, watching SCG right now is great. We've got a draw go white blue deck that just keeps picking up Pearl Lake Ancient to play those Radiant Fountains again and again.

And Brad killed him from 12 with 4 Lightning Strike when he tapped out for PLA :allears:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Mordieth posted:

well some vintage decks have run Bob and blighsteel so

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eddie Whitson posted:

And Brad killed him from 12 with 4 Lightning Strike when he tapped out for PLA :allears:

Ridiculously timely draw there.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
This matchup is so bad that I thought Brad was just playing for time to try and at least get through the round with a draw. The quad Lightning Strike gameplan is for real.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Man, Brad Nelson is good at building cool decks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So I was watching Cheon's stream yesterday, and a weird situation came up. Cheon had Faith's Fetters attached to a Tradewind Rider, and then his opponent cast Song of the Dryads on the Fetters. What happens?

Cheon had a colorless Forest attached to his opponent's Tradewind Rider which worked exactly like a normal forest except it was attached to the rider. Also for some reason the Song was just floating off on his opponent's side of the field instead of attached to the Fetters.

Is that correct?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Mordieth posted:

To be fair, in hearthstone mana is independent from your actual deck and reliably builds up every turn, so even though I don't play the game I can definitely see why some curves might be a bit more lenient even if they want to stay aggressive.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Elyv posted:

So I was watching Cheon's stream yesterday, ...

Is that correct?

A forest can't be attached to a permanent, so that's the behavior I'd expect.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

Isamaru really is one of the best commanders. He's also in the color of tutoring equipment and enchantments so he's really more like a 5 turn clock. Besides the obvious ways to buff him, put Godsend on him and the other player is hosed. Also, your wrath effects are dope as hell when your commander is dirt cheap. When things aren't going your way, clear the board, he's only going to cost 3 to get him out again anyway. poo poo, have a mana rock out, you can break your opponents with Armageddon.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Isamaru is a top 50% commander in 1v1 and bottom 50% in multiplayer. But dogs are loving awesome so you always vote dog.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

End of Life Guy posted:

A forest can't be attached to a permanent, so that's the behavior I'd expect.

The Forest was attached though.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Elyv posted:

The Forest was attached though.

Was it *actually* attached, or was it just displaying as if it were attached? Display bugs like that aren't unheard of on MTGO.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I know this is old news now but man it's gonna suck when I'm not gonna be able to look forward to guaranteed Legacy coverage streaming every weekend. There was honestly no better way to spend a lazy Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I know this is old news now but man it's gonna suck when I'm not gonna be able to look forward to guaranteed Legacy coverage streaming every weekend. There was honestly no better way to spend a lazy Sunday.

I'm on the other side of this coin, very pleased that sometimes I get to watch Modern.

• Locked thread