Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

To add to this, remember that there is still gobs and gobs of oil in the ground in all those places. While extracting it was too expensive with oil at $20/barrel, it becomes viable at higher price points. Oil will be available for quite a while.

So what has "peaked" is cheap oil. As long as there is demand for it at a sufficient price, there will be plenty for a long time.

More or less, of course the actual commodity price will also vary depending on macro-economic circumstances. The world "ended" for gas under 2 dollars, but ultimately it is going to be a while before an actual supply crisis happens where gas is simply unaffordable to the population at large (although gas prices still aren't a joke for many working people).

The recent drop in oil prices may complicate recent expansions of production in the US though as some forms of drilling have become significantly less profitable, however it is an issue that is a bit difficult to predict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ardennes posted:

More or less, of course the actual commodity price will also vary depending on macro-economic circumstances. The world "ended" for gas under 2 dollars, but ultimately it is going to be a while before an actual supply crisis happens where gas is simply unaffordable to the population at large (although gas prices still aren't a joke for many working people).

The recent drop in oil prices may complicate recent expansions of production in the US though as some forms of drilling have become significantly less profitable, however it is an issue that is a bit difficult to predict.

It's worth noting that other things are done over time that insulate against the effects of higher gas prices for instance. Move from a drafty old victorian home to one built in the 90s with the same inside space? Probably gonna use a shitload less heat to keep it comfortable in winter, even if you're a wasteful person who decides they'll heat to 80 all the time. Or even having said drafty house remodeled with modest insulation will do a lot.

We see similar things with appliances in general. It can be crazy how much you can save on electric/gas/oil/whatever costs with a new fridge, or dishwasher, or washer/dryer and so on. My parents replaced the air conditioner that came with their house back in 1994 with a new one at the start of this summer - the new one was so much more efficient that they were able to run the a/c in the house cooler for longer times and still only used 80% of their normal electricity usage for a/c.

And hell, there's still gas guzzling megaSUVs and poo poo out there, but the kind of mileage they get was common for "regular" cars 40 or 50 years ago, and that's with the engines putting out a ton more horespower to boot and even with extra weight for things like "a functioning crash safety system". :v:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's worth noting that other things are done over time that insulate against the effects of higher gas prices for instance. Move from a drafty old victorian home to one built in the 90s with the same inside space? Probably gonna use a shitload less heat to keep it comfortable in winter, even if you're a wasteful person who decides they'll heat to 80 all the time. Or even having said drafty house remodeled with modest insulation will do a lot.

We see similar things with appliances in general. It can be crazy how much you can save on electric/gas/oil/whatever costs with a new fridge, or dishwasher, or washer/dryer and so on. My parents replaced the air conditioner that came with their house back in 1994 with a new one at the start of this summer - the new one was so much more efficient that they were able to run the a/c in the house cooler for longer times and still only used 80% of their normal electricity usage for a/c.

And hell, there's still gas guzzling megaSUVs and poo poo out there, but the kind of mileage they get was common for "regular" cars 40 or 50 years ago, and that's with the engines putting out a ton more horespower to boot and even with extra weight for things like "a functioning crash safety system". :v:

Yeah energy savings has brought more efficiency into the system at the same time demand has balanced with increased supply (at a higher price point). I really don't see ourselves in a real energy supply crunch, especially as cars slowly but surely get more efficient and baby steps are taken regarding electric cars. Electric cars are obviously still a luxury item but some of that technology is going to filter down over time. The worst case scenario would be we would have to rely far more heavily on coal power, there are still roughly around 150 years of coal reserves and the US still has the largest amount of reserves. It isn't something we really need to do though.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Anosmoman posted:

In any event decomposing plant matter produce methane and nitrous oxide as opposed to burning it which only release CO2. If you have access to large quantities of biomatter you really should either burn it or harvest the biogas from it. Landfilling is both a waste and terrible in terms of greenhouse gasses.

Burning plant matter does not "only release CO2"...

WHO, who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2014/air-pollution/en/ posted:

After analysing the risk factors and taking into account revisions in methodology, WHO estimates indoor air pollution was linked to 4.3 million deaths in 2012 in households cooking over coal, wood and biomass stoves. The new estimate is explained by better information about pollution exposures among the estimated 2.9 billion people living in homes using wood, coal or dung as their primary cooking fuel, as well as evidence about air pollution's role in the development of cardiovascular and respiratory diseases, and cancers.

...in addition to the fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides that are inevitably required for any industrial production of biomass, which will include forests (which are not typically treated with the above), if they are harvested faster than the bedrock below them can release the minerals required to build fertile soil.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Placid Marmot posted:

Burning plant matter does not "only release CO2"...

...in addition to the fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides that are inevitably required for any industrial production of biomass, which will include forests (which are not typically treated with the above), if they are harvested faster than the bedrock below them can release the minerals required to build fertile soil.

He's talking about power generation from biomass (specifically waste biomass, which is generated anyway), and that's taking about burning it indoors for cooking and heat which is a totally different thing.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Placid Marmot posted:

Yes smoke is toxic. However, what makes it toxic, airborne particulates, do not remain in the air indefinetely so it's mainly an issue for the general vicinity of whatever is burning and the problem can be mitigated with filters. This is opposed to greenhouse gasses released when it rots which we can't mitigate. I'm specifically talking about biomatter that either ends up in landfills or is collected centrally for recycling. Burn it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The Ivanpah solar power generation facility isn't generating near as much solar power as it claimed it would:

http://breakingenergy.com/2014/10/29/at-ivanpah-solar-power-plant-energy-production-falling-well-short-of-expectations/

quote:

The Mojave Desert plant, built with the aid of a $1.6 billion federal loan guarantee, kicked off commercial operation at the tail end of December 2013, and for the eight-month period from January through August, its three units generated 254,263 megawatt-hours of electricity, according to U.S. Energy Information Administration data. That’s roughly one-quarter of the annual 1 million-plus megawatt-hours that had been anticipated.

Output did pick up in the typically sunny months of May, June, July and August, as you might expect, with 189,156 MWh generated in the four-month period. But even that higher production rate would translate to annual electricity output of less than 600,000 MWh, at least 40 percent below target.

Another sign of the plant’s early operating woes: In March, the owners sought permission [PDF] to use 60 percent more natural gas in auxiliary boilers than was allowed under the plant’s certification, a request that was approved in August.

[...]

Those growing pains included realization that the plant would need to boost its natural gas consumption. The fuel is used with auxiliary boilers that prime the system in the early morning, allowing the plant to begin generating electricity as soon as possible after sunrise; to maintain performance during intermittent cloud cover; and to eke out more energy as the sun fades at the end of the day.

In its March petition to California regulators [PDF], Ivanpah’s owners said it was only through running the plant that they realized “more boiler steam would be needed than previously expected in order to operate the system efficiently and in a manner that protects plant equipment, and to maximize solar electricity generation.” They added that “auxiliary boilers typically need to operate an average of approximately 4.5 hours a day during startup (an increase from 1 hour daily average originally expected).”

As a bonus, the plant is applying for a $540 million federal grant to pay off the 1.6 billion loan. So Google and NRG put the taxpayer on the hook to build the plant, want the taxpayer to pay back the loan anyway, and still get paid when they sell the electricity on the market. Pretty sweet job if you can get it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Phanatic posted:

The Ivanpah solar power generation facility isn't generating near as much solar power as it claimed it would:

http://breakingenergy.com/2014/10/29/at-ivanpah-solar-power-plant-energy-production-falling-well-short-of-expectations/

As a bonus, the plant is applying for a $540 million federal grant to pay off the 1.6 billion loan. So Google and NRG put the taxpayer on the hook to build the plant, want the taxpayer to pay back the loan anyway, and still get paid when they sell the electricity on the market. Pretty sweet job if you can get it.

Sounds like a nuclear power plant build to me :smugdog:

Except there'll be less electricity coming out but whatever.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

blowfish posted:

Sounds like a nuclear power plant build to me :smugdog:

Except there'll be less electricity coming out but whatever.

And more carbon emissions during operations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ivanpah will continue to be very interesting to watch (and not just for streamers!) as its the only CSP tower plant of its size that's been operating. Maybe the negatives of tower design will end up making trough CSP more effective? Maybe Bechtel just hosed up and this design is flawed in some way but CSP towers generally will be less effected by these issues?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Pander posted:

Also 1 billion bucks that could have gone into fusion research, NASA, or nuclear power.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Phanatic posted:

Maybe someone should talk to the idiot wearing sunglasses.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Maybe someone should talk to the idiot wearing sunglasses.

They asked me if I had a degree in theoretical physics, I just told them I had a theoretical degree in physics.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

They asked me if I had a degree in theoretical physics, I just told them I had a theoretical degree in physics.

Life doesn't imitate art, life imitates bad videogame NPCs.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pander posted:

At first I was confused, and then I read the article. A solar power plant that burns natural gas, are you loving kidding me?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So is there any way to improve Ivanpah's output, or did we screw the pooch?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

So is there any way to improve Ivanpah's output, or did we screw the pooch?

Depends, it is unlikely to be able to fix the startup issues. However, a large part of the reduced output cited in the linked article was due to poor weather. So if they're just unlucky, maybe. If the weather model is wrong then the plant is probably poorly sited, which is impossible to really fix.

You think Bechtel would have been able to design some steam loops to spec.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

At first I was confused, and then I read the article. A solar power plant that burns natural gas, are you loving kidding me?

It turns out sunshine is variable.

Having backup gas plants is an effective way to make a wind/solar grid work without astronomical amounts of storage, though it kind of defeats the point and drives costs through the roof since, hey, you're building a ton of gas plants which you want to use as little as possible.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 23, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blowfish posted:

It turns out sunshine is variable.

Having backup gas plants is an effective way to make a wind/solar grid work without astronomical amounts of storage, though it kind of defeats the point and drives costs through the roof since, hey, you're building a ton of gas plants which you want to use as little as possible.

Variable sun-shine has nothing to do with why some CSP plants use natural gas. They use it to start up from cold and get the boilers to temp. CSP with thermal storage (molten salt) negate this need except during overhauls. Since Ivanpah has no storage, they need to start it up from cold every morning. The only other power tower CSP under construction in the US has storage so we'll be able to compare the technologies soon.

Your second point is true for the current grid too, since we need NG peakers for high demand or when a large plant trips. A high renewables grid does need more responsive capacity, and would require more storage or responsive generation (biopower/NG/etc) but the idea that this is solely a renewables problem is false.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Since Ivanpah has no storage, they need to start it up from cold every morning. The only other power tower CSP under construction in the US has storage so we'll be able to compare the technologies soon.

Oh, that is actually interesting (I didn't realise they actually didn't have storage). Also yeah, I may have been exaggerating slightly :v:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blowfish posted:

Oh, that is actually interesting (I didn't realise they actually didn't have storage). Also yeah, I may have been exaggerating slightly :v:

It will be insightful to be able to compare Ivanpah and Crescent Dunes directly once the latter starts operating. A technology is only tested once its in the field, but I do like molten salt.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
That is a ton of natural gas they want to burn. For 377 MW net capacity, and a claimed capacity factor of 31.4%, they estimated annual production at 1000 GWh per year. The natural gas they are allowed to burn itself could produce about 200 GWh per year, though it's unclear how much they have used or are planning on using. Even worse is that compared to the current output of 254 GWh for the last 8 months, January to August. If we charitably assume that's an average performance, over a year that's a mere 381 GWh, or a (pretty darn terrible) capacity factor of 12%.

We can only hope that this is a result of horrible plant mis-operation, and that with the natural gas they can up production to somewhere near the design goal.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dilb posted:

That is a ton of natural gas they want to burn. For 377 MW net capacity, and a claimed capacity factor of 31.4%, they estimated annual production at 1000 GWh per year. The natural gas they are allowed to burn itself could produce about 200 GWh per year, though it's unclear how much they have used or are planning on using. Even worse is that compared to the current output of 254 GWh for the last 8 months, January to August. If we charitably assume that's an average performance, over a year that's a mere 381 GWh, or a (pretty darn terrible) capacity factor of 12%.

We can only hope that this is a result of horrible plant mis-operation, and that with the natural gas they can up production to somewhere near the design goal.

Actually, reading the CPUC document, it appears blowfish may have been closer to the mark than I realized. It appears that a big part of the issue is increased early morning cloud cover than expected. So something that might be fundamental or might be occasional depends on if they are unlucky or wrong about their models.

However, if you look at the fact that all the other similar CSP projects to Ivanpah have been canceled, that might point towards an answer.

Yet another cool technology (power towers) may end up falling to the mundane (power troughs) because of "efficiency". :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You know what's really cool? Not building new fossil fuel power plants for any reason.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

You know what's really cool? Not building new fossil fuel power plants for any reason.

This. While I can understand pre-heating the boiler, this just defeats the purpose and makes it a fossil fuels plant.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually, reading the CPUC document, it appears blowfish may have been closer to the mark than I realized. It appears that a big part of the issue is increased early morning cloud cover than expected. So something that might be fundamental or might be occasional depends on if they are unlucky or wrong about their models.

However, if you look at the fact that all the other similar CSP projects to Ivanpah have been canceled, that might point towards an answer.

Yet another cool technology (power towers) may end up falling to the mundane (power troughs) because of "efficiency". :v:

I can't tell if that last sentence is sardonic or not. Efficiency is good...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pander posted:

I can't tell if that last sentence is sardonic or not. Efficiency is good...

Oh I agree, but often the part of us in love with technology would rather the answer with death rays, giant structures, or massive complexity for massive reward win out over the simpler and more efficient answer that might not be as "elegant."

At least molten salt is an option, that's still cool.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Actually, why isn't the facility designed to use grid power for warm-up? Seems a bit odd to be designed so that you have to run the on-site natural gas anything like often.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Actually, why isn't the facility designed to use grid power for warm-up? Seems a bit odd to be designed so that you have to run the on-site natural gas anything like often.

Electric heat is far far far less efficient than natural gas heat. It would have driven up the project cost a lot, probably out of the range of feasibility.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm going to throw my weight behind the entire thing being a conspiracy to get a brand new natural gas power plant courtesy of the US government.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

Electric heat is far far far less efficient than natural gas heat. It would have driven up the project cost a lot, probably out of the range of feasibility.

It already costs a billion dollars and barely functions. It could at least do that without eating natural gas constantly.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

It already costs a billion dollars and barely functions. It could at least do that without eating natural gas constantly.

It would, though. Where do you think that grid power is coming from? It might as well be fusion power if it just soaks up more power than it delivers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pander posted:

It would, though. Where do you think that grid power is coming from? It might as well be fusion power if it just soaks up more power than it delivers.

There's this thing called the Hoover Dam, perhaps you've heard of it? It's essentially next door. And there are several nuclear power plants in California itself.

Not being 100% powered by fossil fuel means a significant amount less fossil fuel usage.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Wish I had some better news to share:

Pelarmis, The Scottish company that was leading the charge for wave power, has gone into administration.

quote:

A WORLD-LEADING Scottish wave energy firm is being put into administration after failing to raise sufficient funds to develop its renewable technology.

Pelamis Wave Power (PWP) invented the pioneering “sea snake” energy converter, which uses the motion of ocean surface waves to create electricity.

The machine is made up of linked sections which flex and bend as waves pass, generating power in the process.

It won inventor Dr Richard Yemm the 2012 Saltire Prize medal for his outstanding contribution to developing the marine renewables sector.

But in a statement, the Edinburgh-based firm said it was “reluctantly” moving to appoint an administrator.

“The directors regret to announce that they have been unable to secure the additional funding required for further development of the company’s market-leading wave-energy technology,” the statement said.

“Pelamis is the world’s most advanced wave-energy technology company. It recently received a strong endorsement of this leading position from independent consultants.”

The statement also detailed “350 man-years of experience in the team, [and] 15,000 hours of real grid-connected test data”.

PWP said the administrator will assess options for the future of the business and its 56 employees, while the company remained committed to its “revolutionary technology”.

The firm was regarded as one of Scotland’s two great hopes in the quest to create clean renewable energy from wave power. The other is “Oyster” inventor Aquamarine Power, which has backing from shareholders including energy giant SSE.

Industry experts highlighted the difficulties faced by the sector but commended the key role PWP has played.

Lindsay Leask, of industry body Scottish Renewables, said: “While this news is clearly concerning for the company and its employees, it shows both the challenging conditions in which this sector operates and the risks inherent in developing new technology.

“PWP’s contribution to this emerging industry has helped cement Scotland’s position as a global leader, and it is important to remember that the prize from the eventual commercialisation of wave energy remains hugely significant.”

Last year, the firm was awarded a share of the Scottish Government’s £18 million Marine Renewables Commercialisation Fund to help bring the sea snake to market.

A government spokesman said: “This is a sad day for Pelamis and an anxious time for employees and their families.”

http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/wave-power-firm-pelamis-goes-into-administration-1-3612769

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's this thing called the Hoover Dam, perhaps you've heard of it? It's essentially next door. And there are were several nuclear power plants in California itself.

Not being 100% powered by fossil fuel means a significant amount less fossil fuel usage.

Fixed that for you, it is only Diablo Canyon now.

I think you're also underestimating how inefficient using electric heat is, but I'm sure Bechtel ran the numbers.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Pelarmis, The Scottish company that was leading the charge for wave power, has gone into administration.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/environment/wave-power-firm-pelamis-goes-into-administration-1-3612769

I've yet to be convinced that wave power will ever be economic and meet environmental standards at the same time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

I think you're also underestimating how inefficient using electric heat is, but I'm sure Bechtel ran the numbers.

This is nonsense. Having a full natural gas station on hand is way more inefficent.

The whole project seems to have been a scheme to get a discount when building a natural gas plant.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is nonsense. Having a full natural gas station on hand is way more inefficent.

Well luckily, they don't have that. They have a natural gas boiler for each solar boiler.

But if you wanted to do the math to compare the relative carbon efficiency of electric heat versus NG heat on the California grid, it would be an interesting starting point.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

Well luckily, they don't have that. They have a natural gas boiler for each solar boiler.

But if you wanted to do the math to compare the relative carbon efficiency of electric heat versus NG heat on the California grid, it would be an interesting starting point.

Right that's a full natural gas station friend.

The grid it's connected to, being only a few dozen miles outside Nevada, has significantly less than 100% fossil fuel on it and thus is a lot less. Simple.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Right that's a full natural gas station friend.

The grid it's connected to, being only a few dozen miles outside Nevada, has significantly less than 100% fossil fuel on it and thus is a lot less. Simple.

Except you're ignoring the gas->heat->electric->heat conversion losses that electric heaters would experience. Which is significant. Not to mention that a simple boiler is far more efficient at capturing the heat output of gas than the turbine conversion required for electric power generation.

You're also ignoring the simple fact that, since existing non-carbon sources don't take up the entirety of the grid, the additional marginal load imposed by the solar boilers is necessarily going to be fossil-fuel based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kalman posted:

Except you're ignoring the gas->heat->electric->heat conversion losses that electric heaters would experience. Which is significant. Not to mention that a simple boiler is far more efficient at capturing the heat output of gas than the turbine conversion required for electric power generation.

Yes, it's actually correct that if you burn fossil fuels you might as well : If you just burn gas, you can put close to all the energy to use as heat where it's needed. If you convert it to electricity and then back to heat, the most efficient power stations will give you less than half. That's also why electric space heaters are worse than oil fired heaters, unless you already live in a majority-renewable/nuke area. However, once you do and have the electricity to spare ...

Hobo Erotica posted:

It didn't ever make sense anyway because it was going to take up way too much coastline for its output.

In similar news - one of the major domestic wind companies even went bankrupt and had to be bailed out by investors - German wind power has turned out to be a poo poo investment. Unless you were intelligent enough to bet on the 1/3 of wind turbines in sensible places, you're either getting next to no return on investments or will never see your money back. This includes many local utilities which are not exactly drowning in money in the first place.

http://www.focus.de/immobilien/energiesparen/wirtschaft-schlaraffenland-ist-abgebrannt_id_4242422.html