Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

HorseRenoir posted:

Honestly, I feel like the last decade or two of Cyclops has made me go from being indifferent about him to actively hating his presence. I feel like Cyclops has fallen victim to the Aquaman Effect, where a character gets poo poo on for so long that an entire generation of writers has made it their mission to overcompensate and show why Cyclops should be taken seriously.
Uhh Aquaman's problem is that he was always a terrible character that just happened to be the pet favourite of the DC editor at the time Justice League was created and so he ended up shoe horned into Superfriends and by necessity of that horrible compact is forever cursed upon future generations.

Cyclops just has the problem where half the writer's poo poo on him and a couple write him well (but no one as good as Gillen used to.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really don't know how you can possibly call a dude who essentially lives in a torture cave with his (fundamentally speaking) ex-wife who funds his operation to chase idiot teenagers around a Gary Stu. Magneto just hobos in and out of his life, Magik won't bring him pancakes, he has no job, no real friends anymore and the only women interested in him are Maria Hill and a teenager who like aged herself forward in the savage land in a dropped plot point?

Dude used to have an island and a jet pack and an x-force. Now he has Goldballs.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
All that effort and he's more boring now then he was in the cartoon. He's just a dime a dozen rebel with the universe making GBS threads on him now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Spiderdrake posted:

I really don't know how you can possibly call a dude who essentially lives in a torture cave with his (fundamentally speaking) ex-wife who funds his operation to chase idiot teenagers around a Gary Stu. Magneto just hobos in and out of his life, Magik won't bring him pancakes, he has no job, no real friends anymore and the only women interested in him are Maria Hill and a teenager who like aged herself forward in the savage land in a dropped plot point?

Dude used to have an island and a jet pack and an x-force. Now he has Goldballs.

He needs to get back his octopus disco shirt. It is weird that Scott does have nothing really. he does have a team that follows him and is loyal, but everyone he was friends with have distanced themselves from him. Kitty and Emma, whom he probably has the best past relationships with are more interested in the new mutants than Scotts revolution. If for some reason the newbies ended up at the Jean Grey school, they'd probably follow them. He'd be left alone with Magik, who's really only there because she has literally no where else to go (Though I think Storm would probably be okay with her coming back as well).

The timeline is so screwed up right now (comics wise, not 616 but you know, that's always messed up) because we will see Scott's effect on AXIS in the Avenger books rather than any of the Xbooks. Save Xmen because they just wrapped up their storyline, and I don't think any of the ladies from there were in Genosha when the inversion happened. Though from the Axis issue at the Jean Grey school where Evan showed up full on Apocalypse mode, it looked like pretty much all the non-Scott team were there.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Though from the Axis issue at the Jean Grey school where Evan showed up full on Apocalypse mode, it looked like pretty much all the non-Scott team were there.

I stopped reading most X-Books when Bendis took over, and I'm not reading Axis at all. But if Evan turned Apocalypse as was foreshadowed because of the Axis events, then I'll be happy. Because I didn't want them to bring back Apocalypse just for the sake of him being a villain again. It seems like the Axis stuff will be temporary of course, so then that means the foreshadowing was correct, and it's not an assassination of Evan's character if he can revert.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I really hope it ends up like that and not another author's "toys back into the box" moment as several other great recent characters have seen. But I don't feel like Remender does or likes that, at all. Which is a point toward him even if I'm finding Axis really really meh. Like it's not Children's Crusade or Siege or Fear Itself, it's just a bit below Original Sin with the added feeling of 'Well this is all getting reset, yeah'

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

IUG posted:

I stopped reading most X-Books when Bendis took over, and I'm not reading Axis at all. But if Evan turned Apocalypse as was foreshadowed because of the Axis events, then I'll be happy. Because I didn't want them to bring back Apocalypse just for the sake of him being a villain again. It seems like the Axis stuff will be temporary of course, so then that means the foreshadowing was correct, and it's not an assassination of Evan's character if he can revert.

It's not an assassination of his character because Axis is being written by the guy that created him.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think if you were going to turn Evan into Apocalypse this is the best way to go about it, even if he never gets reverted. The idea that the X-Men's most dangerous enemy is also a character that fought and worked to never become that foe but ended up doing so because of magic is an interesting depth to the Apocalypse character and comes back to the root of the character with a save him or kill him situation.

The story was:

Do you kill kid Hitler or try to make him good?

Now it's:

You made kid Hitler good but magic has made adult Hitler evil; do you try to change him back to good or do you put him down before he can hurt anyone else?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Wolverine is still alive in like a half dozen books right now, including Uncanny.

It'd take a company wide event to kill off all the Wolverines on every team.

Crisis of Infinite Bubs

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

It's not an assassination of his character because Axis is being written by the guy that created him.

No, I mean Evan stops being Evan because he's Apocalypse again. However this event lets him be Apocalypse for a while, and hopefully he's back to Evan again when this is over. (Because I enjoy that character more that having Apocalypse as a villian.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ah, sorry. I really do like Evan, but Remender writes the poo poo out of Apocalypse. Seeing classic look Apocalypse take over New York with evil X-Men makes my inner child happy.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I leafed through an X-Men comic for the first time in 15+ years last week, and was sort of shocked to see that things seem to have moved along: Wolverine no longer being the designated loose cannon and Cyclops going from the bland stable leader to political extremist, and everyone else basically falling across different spots of the mutant salvation/integration spectrum.

It really seems a lot more interesting than the "Let's have 12 different X-teams all trying to out-badass each other, but Logan and Jean Grey must _never_ bang!" situation that made me quit Marvel back then. Any pointers on what should read to try and get back on board the current storyline? Which authors do it well, and which ones to avoid?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
X-Men Schism (Aaron) is where you wanna get started. Uncanny X-Men (Gillen) and Wolverine & the X-Men (Aaron) after that.

Currently, X-Force (Spurrier), Magneto (Bunn) and Uncanny X-Men (Bendis) deals with the themes you're talking about too, but Bendis is quite polarizing.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 23, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I really have no clue what's going on in X-Force but it's amazing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

PaybackJack posted:

I really have no clue what's going on in X-Force but it's amazing.

Welcome to Si Spurrier! Sit back and enjoy the ride. :D

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Fantomax so crazy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cabbit posted:

Welcome to Si Spurrier! Sit back and enjoy the ride. :D

Yeah it will make more sense when the entire run has ended, but until then just go with the crazy. X-men Legacy was so good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm not sure what in the last issue doesn't make sense? Fantomex is hosed up from being split back in X-Force, he downloaded powers from Hope's digital projection and then when he was shot in the head his brain (he has always had multiple brains anyway) restarted, taking on the upgrades which are stolen from the big bad they're chasing. Hope is smiling at the end, so he probably didn't quite pull it off. I think Spurrier plans to actually fix him by the end.

Mojo was implied to have falling ratings back in the Uncanny Avengers annual, I believe? So that wasn't too big a surprise either, given Spurrier seems to pay attention to other people's books. Hell, his X-Force seems to pay attention to like, all three of the recent X-Force books. He also seems to have way more depth at dealing with Hope than anyone else, which is kinda weird to realize.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Which issues of WATXM was it where those undercover SHIELD agents doing MGH or whatever showed up? ... Was it WATXM? :negative: The SHIELD dudes pretended to be students and were there to assess if the school was a danger or whatever.

Thanks, X-Thread! I really need to get around to reading X-Force. I've got all the issues of the run, I just haven't ... read them yet. It keeps getting pushed to the back of my list and then I'll forget. I'm always hyped about weird Fantomex bullshit, though, so I should get on that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You should catch up because it's totally ballin'.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Which issues of WATXM was it where those undercover SHIELD agents doing MGH or whatever showed up? ... Was it WATXM? :negative: The SHIELD dudes pretended to be students and were there to assess if the school was a danger or whatever.

Thanks, X-Thread! I really need to get around to reading X-Force. I've got all the issues of the run, I just haven't ... read them yet. It keeps getting pushed to the back of my list and then I'll forget. I'm always hyped about weird Fantomex bullshit, though, so I should get on that.

You're after WATXM #38-40. If you don't already own them, they're collected in Volume 8 of Aarons run or the omnibus if you want the full run.

Also go read X-force.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This weeks Amazing was pretty good. Amazing has been underrated and the only bad issue was the amazing friends one.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

bobkatt013 posted:

This weeks Amazing was pretty good. Amazing has been underrated and the only bad issue was the amazing friends one.

It was nice in a vacuum but, uh, I thought Anole already had a steady boyfriend. Dude was a mutant kid they pulled out of suspended animation, from like the Salem Trials. It was in one of the X-kid books.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cabbit posted:

It was nice in a vacuum but, uh, I thought Anole already had a steady boyfriend. Dude was a mutant kid they pulled out of suspended animation, from like the Salem Trials. It was in one of the X-kid books.

No one wants to think about Young X-men.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

bobkatt013 posted:

No one wants to think about Young X-men.

Every time I think of Ink I feel a little nauseous.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Inverted Storm is pretty scary. I hope this means the end of the Quire hellfire plotline and everything can be reset for the transition into Kalan's Spiderman and the Xmen.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Cabbit posted:

I don't think he and Greymalkin ever dated. They just bonded over Greymalkin being buried alive because his dad found him with a dude.

Young X-Men was awful.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Wolfcub or whatever he was going by just needs to show up in the background of one of the Spider-Man & the X-Men issues. "Wait, weren't you dead?" *blinks* "No." Both parties shrug and part ways.

That... may be close to the worst X-Men series I ever read. I don't know. I really hate Emperor Vulcan, but... Young X-Men was insulting.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I sort of like Emperor Vulcan because people asked about the Third Summers brother for so long that it almost feels like they got what they deserved.

It is the ultimate no-prize.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

twistedmentat posted:

Inverted Storm is pretty scary. I hope this means the end of the Quire hellfire plotline and everything can be reset for the transition into Kalan's Spiderman and the Xmen.

Meh. It felt very stalling for time to me. Quire one of the few telepaths powerful enough to undo Horny Onslaught's inversions doesn't because it's not time to yet. Inverted heroes should be going out of their way to avoid Omega Level telepaths not trying to piss them off.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Wait what's wrong with Emperor Vulcan?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Web Jew.0 posted:

Wait what's wrong with Emperor Vulcan?

Vulcan is annoying, Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire was already a lengthy and boring story line, and then Emperor Vulcan didn't change the status quo at all and felt really pointless to me. But then again, it also didn't set up one of the few Muslim Marvel heroes of the time into becoming a villain.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
I honestly enjoyed the "deadly genesis" arc that introduced Vulcan and the other team. It just seems like the potential for all of those characters was squandered.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Probably Magic posted:

Vulcan is annoying, Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire was already a lengthy and boring story line, and then Emperor Vulcan didn't change the status quo at all and felt really pointless to me. But then again, it also didn't set up one of the few Muslim Marvel heroes of the time into becoming a villain.

It doesn't help that Vulcan was introduced in an arc that was at they height of "professor X is a jerk" fatigue.

loving Deadly Genesis.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey the third brother was originally gonna be Adam X THE EXTREME so I'll take Vulcan.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'd have taken Adam.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

It doesn't help that Vulcan was introduced in an arc that was at they height of "professor X is a jerk" fatigue.

loving Deadly Genesis.

Not really. Instead, Deadly Genesis really was the first story to introduce the modern "Professor Xavier isn't just a jerk, but pretty much Magneto" and this led to every single loving writer after that wanting to knock Xavier down a peg or two or three. And it sure didn't help that Deadly Genesis was an, at best, average, okay story.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Probably Magic posted:

Wolfcub or whatever he was going by just needs to show up in the background of one of the Spider-Man & the X-Men issues. "Wait, weren't you dead?" *blinks* "No." Both parties shrug and part ways.

That... may be close to the worst X-Men series I ever read. I don't know. I really hate Emperor Vulcan, but... Young X-Men was insulting.

Ink.

Remember that motherfucker? And his motherfucking Phoenix tattoo? I just did, and now I'm pissed off all over again.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Nobby posted:

Ink.

Remember that motherfucker? And his motherfucking Phoenix tattoo? I just did, and now I'm pissed off all over again.

He's got this... covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Not really. Instead, Deadly Genesis really was the first story to introduce the modern "Professor Xavier isn't just a jerk, but pretty much Magneto" and this led to every single loving writer after that wanting to knock Xavier down a peg or two or three. And it sure didn't help that Deadly Genesis was an, at best, average, okay story.

Was there a single thing that came out of the "Xavier isn't fundamentally a decent person that just wants mutants and non-mutants to live in harmony rather than trying to obliterate each other but rather a total rear end in a top hat" push that wasn't just kind of pathetic and forgettable? I can not for the life of me think of a single positive change that came out of it.

• Locked thread