Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Phone posted:

Lucas was the only good thing about Brawl.

I like Pikachu a lot better back then as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Olimar still feels really weak. What a shame.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So how long before that Sonic Boom song and an Adventure Mode of some kind are released as DLC?

Also my NNID is KoolDoctorMoney please add me

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So how long before that Sonic Boom song and an Adventure Mode of some kind are released as DLC?

They should release the Sonic Boom version of Sonic as a DLC character. He'd be a hard character to read because half his frames of animation would drop when he moved.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Austrian mook posted:

Olimar still feels really weak. What a shame.

To be fair he's a tiny dude who needs even tinier dudes to do pretty much anything. He should be weak as poo poo.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Is there a quintessential "how to not suck at this game" video? This is my first Smash Brothers game and while I enjoy it, I'm really abysmally bad.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

sleepness posted:

Is there a quintessential "how to not suck at this game" video? This is my first Smash Brothers game and while I enjoy it, I'm really abysmally bad.

All you have to do is know when to block and how to do things quickly. Then reading people. It only gets complicated as hell when you do tournaments. It's not Street Fighter. SF is complicated regardless.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I want to find the person who decided you'd also find the normal b move versions as rewards and punch their dick off.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Is there anyway to set a default control scheme? Having to switch profiles every god drat time you change modes is annoying.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

sleepness posted:

I'm pretty fresh too, and I think the best tips I can give you so far is to realize this isn't a beat-their-HP-down-to-0 game (unless you're playing that mode,) so consider picking your battles wisely, find a character whose moves/general feel you like, and learn the timing of their attacks (both the wind up speed and the recovery delay after hitting/whiffing.) Then, with a rough feel of the character under your belt, try playing defensively. It's easy to run right in and spam attacks and maybe hit or maybe miss, but it's even easier to wait and watch someone else spam attacks, wait for their recovery, and then make your move.

Also use your shield often, maybe even a lot. If you tap left or right while shielding, you roll with some frames of invincibility, and it's super handy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Calaveron posted:

I want to find the person who decided you'd also find the normal b move versions as rewards and punch their dick off.

Yeah. At least I seem to be finding customs way faster then in the 3DS one.

I really like classic mode in this game. It's cool to be able to choose what kind of fights I want and that I can fight fighters on other stages then just ones from their universe. Do the large stages ever appear on classic or are they just rare?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just got a wii u and will pick this game up as soon as I find a GameCube controller bundle for it. How's the jump from 3DS to Wii u?

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
OK, I spent all my time on this game last night setting up My Music, and thus, I am now ready to smash.

NNID: KingFrost

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I can't be certain, but when playing 8-Player Smash against the computer (in Classic Mode, for example) it feels like the AI varies depending on how many characters are on screen. Assuming you're playing stock, the AI fighters seem to fight more effectively as other AI fighters are eliminated. At eight players it feels like half the AIs just kinda wander around and wait to be hit, but once it's down to 1-on-1 you get a real fight from the last enemy.

I could be wrong, but has anyone else noticed this?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just got a wii u and will pick this game up as soon as I find a GameCube controller bundle for it. How's the jump from 3DS to Wii u?

Apparently these things are completely sold out and also one-time things. Your best bet is to walk into Best Buy, sell someone to check "behind the shelf" and hope they don't know what "reserved" means.

Morally, however, you are (probably) out of luck.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

noirstronaut posted:

Apparently these things are completely sold out and also one-time things. Your best bet is to walk into Best Buy, sell someone to check "behind the shelf" and hope they don't know what "reserved" means.

Morally, however, you are (probably) out of luck.

Where'd you hear that they're one-time things? Given how quickly they sold out and how much demand there still seems to be, it'd be crazy if they didn't do a second production run.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

surf rock posted:

Where'd you hear that they're one-time things? Given how quickly they sold out and how much demand there still seems to be, it'd be crazy if they didn't do a second production run.

Every Gamestop i've called (other stores couldn't disclose inventory) said they were "one time shipments and not expecting anymore". It's possible Nintendo just didn't tell them more were coming in order to raise demand.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Is there any character that has an easy time getting the one kill in cruel smash? I tried DK's down-b but no luck. Every time I've tried with anyone I get swarmed and launched instantly.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

TVs Ian posted:

Is there any character that has an easy time getting the one kill in cruel smash? I tried DK's down-b but no luck. Every time I've tried with anyone I get swarmed and launched instantly.

I had a pretty easy time with Ness. I just sat on the edge, spammed PK Fire, then PK Thunder 2'd into the crowd. It took me like 4 tries though - those little Miis are pesky.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

TVs Ian posted:

Try characters with a counter attack - little mac works pretty well.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Eight player smash is goddamn incredible you guys, this game is goddamn incredible, I love it.

I am just really really bummed that they gimped little mac for any level that requires jump recovery. other than that this game is sublime.

Also, gently caress Ike.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

TVs Ian posted:

I used Kirby. Jump off the edge, suck in a Mii while falling, spit out below the platform, fly back up, land, repeat.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

noirstronaut posted:

Every Gamestop i've called (other stores couldn't disclose inventory) said they were "one time shipments and not expecting anymore". It's possible Nintendo just didn't tell them more were coming in order to raise demand.

This is a thing Gamestop says. Nintey five percent of the time their employees are lying to you. The other five percent, they're not talking.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Little Mac and Charizard both have 1) A move with Super Armor (Mac's Smashes, Charizard's Rock Smash) and a move they can use to secure a kill once percentages get high enough (KO Punch for Mac, Flare Blitz with Charizard) without much risk. Use your armored move to build percentages, then finish with KO Punch/Flare Blitz.

Alternatively, ledge scum with Kirby until one of them gets too greedy then cutter their face and ride them all the way down for a kill. You're only gonna get one but that's all you need for Duck Hunt.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bowsercide doesn't work anymore, but Ganoncide does. If you hit someone on a ledge from outside with an air side b, then hold away from the ledge you get the kill first. Most hilarious way I've won a match, cause I had no idea that worked.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I got a few legit kills with Ganon, just move to the bottom left and start smashing/dorf kicking. For some reason going right got me immediately gangbanged but going left gives you a chance to get some hits in as they approach.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I got my kill using counter too. I picked lucina and mashed down b until I got knocked off, almost recovered, and then countered the guys who were chasing me. I got 4 kos with that last counter before I fell :shepface:

Edit: bowsercide still works, you just have to be up a stock :black101:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If it's like the 3ds one I got 4 kills in that with Kirby swallowing them off the edge.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I just used Ike. His fsmash has huge reach and the AI will just walk right into it.

hrpff
Jun 19, 2004
undercooked Wendy's burgers or something
So did anyone ever figure out what the deal was with the blinking Rayman trophy? I unlocked it and it doesn't look like it's animating at all. Also he looks horrifying from other camera angles.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Mr. Locke posted:

Little Mac and Charizard both have 1) A move with Super Armor (Mac's Smashes, Charizard's Rock Smash) and a move they can use to secure a kill once percentages get high enough (KO Punch for Mac, Flare Blitz with Charizard) without much risk. Use your armored move to build percentages, then finish with KO Punch/Flare Blitz.

Alternatively, ledge scum with Kirby until one of them gets too greedy then cutter their face and ride them all the way down for a kill. You're only gonna get one but that's all you need for Duck Hunt.

Flare blitz can be punished hard if your enemy shields it. If they're a fast enough character they can easily get in a smash attack, and most characters can at least get in a tilt. It also puts you in a potentially vulnerable position if you use it too close to an edge and your opponent dodges it, as you'll go flying way off the edge. There's also the fact that you eat a chunk of damage for using it, hit or miss. I wouldn't say Flare blitz is "without much risk", personally. It's not super risky, but it can be costly if used improperly.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If it's like the 3ds one I got 4 kills in that with Kirby swallowing them off the edge.

I got like 6 in the 3DS version this way, got 2 a bit ago on Wii U.

Still just have to unlock ROB and Mr. Game & Watch. I died on some dumb hoard battle in Crazy Order earlier, that mode is fun but dammit it's frustrating to lose and see all the prizes I don't get to keep.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish there was an option to use the c-stick for tilts instead of smashes. I've always had a hard time doing a tilt quickly, it usually ends up being a Smash instead.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fhate posted:

Flare blitz can be punished hard if your enemy shields it. If they're a fast enough character they can easily get in a smash attack, and most characters can at least get in a tilt. It also puts you in a potentially vulnerable position if you use it too close to an edge and your opponent dodges it, as you'll go flying way off the edge. There's also the fact that you eat a chunk of damage for using it, hit or miss. I wouldn't say Flare blitz is "without much risk", personally. It's not super risky, but it can be costly if used improperly.

I think he was specifically talking about Cruel Smash, where you aren't going to get punished for spamming Flare Blitz.

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

KingEffingFrost posted:

OK, I spent all my time on this game last night setting up My Music, and thus, I am now ready to smash.

This and the control scheme were the immediate first things I did. There's an incredible amount of content, but I can't live with tap jump turned on and anything other than You Will Know Our Names playing.

NNID: ViewtifulBro

Feel free to PM, if you're ever seeking a match.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The first thing I did was create a custom control scheme with Tap Jump turned off. Since then I haven't once remembered to use it, but haven't minded either. The tap jump sensitivity is pretty good this time around and I'm not finding myself jumping without wanting to.

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

In all reality, the first thing I should've done is draw a mandatory dick stage.

Sadly, I had a guest with me that doesn't enjoy the finer things (dicks).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rhycool posted:

In all reality, the first thing I should've done is draw a mandatory dick stage.

Sadly, I had a guest with me that doesn't enjoy the finer things (dicks).

Someone already made a Dickbutt stage, don't even bother.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I'm not going to have this until December thanks to loving TRU, but my NNID is liquidypoo. Add me and be sure to say stuff like "I'm playing Smash U and you aren't!" in the friend request message deal-o.

VV They seriously refused to cancel it when I called them and I honestly can't spare any cash to just pick up a different copy right now. I won't have a whole lot of free time for Smashing until after next week anyway.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

liquidypoo posted:

I'm not going to have this until December thanks to loving TRU, but my NNID is liquidypoo. Add me and be sure to say stuff like "I'm playing Smash U and you aren't!" in the friend request message deal-o.

Why not cancel it and just buy it at literally any other store

• Locked thread