Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

All we know is that the 613 laws are of divine inspiration and attempt to replicate paradise on earth as best possible. Everything else is conjecture on an unknowable nature for which individual belief in existance matters much less than community adherance to a divinely-based and chiseled-in-stone legal code.

I agree with you mostly but would also add that the 613 laws of desert rapists are also conjecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

I agree with you mostly but would also add that the 613 laws of desert rapists are also conjecture.

Yeah, they're conjecture. They're the best conjecture we've had, and their value lies in the traditions of jurisprudence, educational, and social service institutions which developed to interpret, debate, and implement them.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yeah, they're conjecture. They're the best conjecture we've had

I'm not sure about this but I can safely say you've offered some of the worst conjecture I've seen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yeah, they're conjecture. They're the best conjecture we've had, and their value lies in the traditions of jurisprudence, educational, and social service institutions which developed to interpret, debate, and implement them.
If the 613 mitzvot are the best and ideal social system, why are Gentiles only exhorted to follow seven much simpler ones? For that matter, do you think modern jurisprudence, education, and social services are modelled on Jewish institutions?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My Imaginary GF posted:

All we know is that the 613 laws are of divine inspiration and attempt to replicate paradise on earth as best possible. Everything else is conjecture on an unknowable nature for which individual belief in existance matters much less than community adherance to a divinely-based and chiseled-in-stone legal code.

Banishing menstruating women from civilization and beating homosexuals to death with rocks is paradise to you?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

Banishing menstruating women from civilization and beating homosexuals to death with rocks is paradise to you?

Neither of those are in there. Perhaps you've been confused by what "fundamentalists" are told by their pastors in between pleas for another hundred grand for the megachurch's slush fund.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
The Old Testament != Contemporary Judaism.

Hope that helps.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The idea that you need a 'right' to question or judge something is what is itself broken, I thought I made that clear. It's literal thought control. Do you understand how disturbing the idea is free thought can be denied because of 'rights'?

Like, every subject is going to have their own subjectivity. Different subjectivities can clash, that's normal. There are no categorical differences between them and, wait for it, there doesn't have to be. We, as members of a society, can communally enforce our common subjectivity between us and call it 'law'. That's it, there's nothing other than that, there's no such thing as a 'super subjectivity' that trumps others, because a subject only cares about their own subjectivity. My 'right' to free thought does not have to be granted to me, it is not some kind of commodity or property. Every single thinking subject must make their own judgements, in order to be a subject and not an object. So, nothing is 'above' judgement, not Kings and not God.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 22, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm all ears about the social services part, though. MIGF can you give me a good example of one of the laws that can help provide good governance for social service institutions?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Hodgepodge posted:

Just to clarify, do you believe that our decisions are 1. essentially predetermined mechanistically, 2. that social power/discipline ultimately overdetermines our will, or 3. just that we have genuine choice within narrow boundaries?

It's really a mix of all three depending on specific situation you're in calling for a decision, falling more often on 2 and 3. 1 is instinctual reactions, and not really decisions at all: not as common as 2 or 3, but in split-second fight or flight reactions, your brain will tell you to do a certain thing to avoid imminent harm. You can condition yourself to have different reactions, so it applies more to things you have not been educated about yet.

Our decisions are not predetermined, however they're influenced to various degrees mechanistically. (this might fall under 3.) For instance, when under stress, our endocrine system releases various hormones that point the probable action we take in a certain direction and cloud us from making a completely sound judgment. Your brain build and the build of glands themselves direct the chemistry of your brain at the time of decision-making.
In the short term, we have very little control over that; in the long term there are medications you can take to alter hormonal cycles and operations you can get done on parts and glands.

2 would be that our actions are a function of the habitus.

quote:

In his most well-known work, entitled Distinction (translated into English in 1984), Bourdieu played on the notion of his book’s title to make a specific argument about class positions in modern societies. Bourdieu (1984) observed that class “distinctions” among individuals were not only linked to their economic capital (as Marxist scholars had argued), but were also connected to their social, educational, and cultural capital. Individuals place their class status on display, he wrote, via their taste or consumption patterns (in essence, what makes us individually “distinct” from other individuals in society). Taste, in turn, is a function of the habitus, which is a complex function of an individual’s social, cultural, and economic capital. The habitus “includes the notion of a habitat, the habitants and the processes of inhabiting it, and the habituating ways of thinking that go with it. It encompasses our position within the social space, the ways of living that go with it and what Bourdieu calls the associated ‘dispositions’ of mind, cultural tastes and ways of thinking and feeling” (Fiske, 1992, p. 32). For instance, a college-educated, middle-class individual might purchase tickets to the opera rather than a vaudeville show because doing so is a clear distinct reminder of that person’s social status. It serves as a tool of self-identity and also provides a visible indicator to others of one’s place in the social hierarchy. Bourdieu (1984) proposed that consumption behaviors, rather than comprising a statement of emancipation from social norms, were inextricably linked to the habitus. Bourdieu sought to connect those sociological variables to the consumption of specific cultural products (such styles of furniture or types of music).
With that in mind, we are limited by the narrow scope of our own personal experiences.

With 3, if one has awareness of 2 - that is, if they are aware of the causes of their decisions and the biases they might face, then they can make changes to the cycle of feedback to alter their own mindset so they can make a more "genuine" choice. This choice is still limited by lack of full knowledge of all choices and by limited experience and by brain chemistry.

Hodgepodge posted:

Well, since the ability and desire to overcome opposition to one's well-being is present in the animal kindgom, your proposition would in a real way make humans who are less than many animals. Possibly in terms of IQ.

I don't so much value humanness as certain qualties we identify with humanity. They aren't exclusive to us- it is increasingly likely that octopi possess forms of intelligence that are quite alien to us, while the difference between and our nearest primate relatives in intelligence seems to be more a matter of degree than kind.

There are all sorts of ethnical issues with altering the physical form of a human being, but in principle doing so is not in itself bad.

Altering human beings to facilitate oppression is pretty clearly bad, though.

It's not really "my proposition;" i'd rather have class free society. It's in case of, as you called it, "endless hell" (ie no major changes to capital's ownership of technology) that you agree you'd do the one with the drugs and at least some concessions to well-being and comfort. (It's also a faulty premise to begin with as the satire is shoddily constructed so that it resembles some kind of steampunk world.)

I think you have to keep in mind that the mere existence of a complex human society with billions of people that monopolizes the global environment for its personal comfort comes at the cost of the detriment/oppression of other species. Many that do not go extinct - we're very likely in the middle of a human-caused mass extinction event - have lower qualities of live because we actively exploit them or indirectly hinder their ability to live freely through environment destruction. Ocean acidification is gonna be a hoot.
And it's too late to simply scale back human development without major consequences; the web of resources we exploit for human comfort is too entertwined with the basic ability to live for many people. Going back to a primitivist way of life would require probably billions of people to die, and it would be those who live on the margin.
No matter what course humanity takes, a bunch of living beings are gonna die and get exploited. I don't think there is any magic way out that doesn't facilitate some kind of oppression of one thing or another.

quote:

Without AI, robots are sophisticated tools. They have no qualities which would suggest a requirement for moral or ethical treatment (other than safety and maintentence standards) anymore than a rock does. Unlike say, a rabit, which already possesses such qualities- capactity for emotion, limited self-awareness, etc. If you added other such qualities to a robot but not intelligence, that would require some moral and ethical boundaries as well.
Since BNW was before computerized automation, huxley may have been imagining an automated workforce drawn from a human source. If you wanted to make BNW relevant to our current trajectory, I think you would have to treat the underclass as a purely automated workforce, something made specifically to be a non-human source of production. (Then treat the rest of society as the "redundant population" or "industrial reserve army" that has no need to work because of extreme automation. In that interpretation, the rest of society is kept up through a welfare state that ensures the well-being of people. John Savage's reaction to this is to shout "what about liberty? what about god?" and other non-material feel-good concepts and then kill himself because he cannot be his own island.)

I'd say you should treat that underclass in that book as an automated, non-human workforce because I think it's important to mention that anything done to the embryos was done only in embryo form, which is consistent with the stated goal of the controllers of wanting to minimize pain in humans.

A pre-human embryo does not have capacity for thought; the prefrontal cortex is not yet developed. That's part of the underpinning of why it is considered okay by current US law to abort a fetus in the first two trimesters but not in the last trimester (roughly; since roe v wade the standard is 'undue burden v individual viability'). The cerebral cortex develops around week 26 (in the third trimester).

I would not want to force drugs upon someone who doesn't want it; living people taking drugs would have to take it by consensual choice in a non-coercive situation. It could only be forced upon another before they are someone; once they are a person, then you start to infringe upon personal rights. Hence why i'm okay with the willfully-caused death of a living thing through abortion but not the willfully-caused death of a fully grown person.

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 22, 2014

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Since it's sort of related to the last post in helping to define my conception of human-ness, and because abortion and Personhood at Conception is a big rallying cry for Christians, here's a post I made in response to some past abortion thread on here:

quote=me]

someone else posted:

That's a good distinction to make. Plants are alive, lizards are alive, and dogs are alive, and toddlers are alive; most people do not assign equal values to those lives, of course, and in fact usually rank them all differently in importance. While life should not be treated callously, assigning the value of an adult person to a fertilized egg is creating a false equivalence and greatly endangers the one that can be proven and demonstrated to have personhood. That's just my personal opinion, of course.

Human life is put on a different pedestal from other biological life in general; a fish's death for a meal is not seen as a moral wrong. So: how is it determined when a being gains humanity? To answer this, you have to get philosophical and ask yourself, 'what makes us us?' The three things I can think of that might be used to determine when life becomes 'human' are a> the soul, b> having biological function (aka ability to live and breathe as an individual human being) and c> having a brain

a>Is it one's 'soul?' If so, what is the soul--does this idea of 'soul' come from a theological standpoint? Would you consider it fair to put your own theological standpoint on those who don't believe in such a thing? (Do you believe that moral purity across the population is more important than a society which allows freedom of religious practice and separates church and state to avoid existentially-motivated conflicts and purges?) Why does the combination of sperm and egg specifically imbue a fetus with a soul--why can't it be possible that a soul develops during gestation or is given instantaneously at birth? Are you in a position of spiritual authority to be certain of the answers to this, and if not, do you know someone on this earth who is (and what makes them so?)?

b>Is it biological function? If so, then at what degree of autonomy does a human being become an individual human being? If functioning is completely dependent on a host/mother up to a certain point, then would you consider a human being to be a human being at conception or at the point at which the being becomes able to live individually? The current national standard for abortions is that none may take place after a certain point where the fetus's viability of survival outside the mother is high (barring certain exceptions).

c>Is it one's thoughts and experiences (the mind?) No other form of life has a brain as developed as human beings' brains, essentially making us the only ones able to assign the idea of humanity to ourselves. If the mind is what makes us human, then human life begins when a being becomes capable of higher cerebral function, which begins rather late in pregnancy. The cerebral cortex, which is what allows us to think, have conscious experiences, do actions voluntarily, remember things and experience sensations of feeling, is the last part of the brain to develop. It starts developing around the 26th week. Before then, the fetus cannot feel anything--not even pain (according to the current scientific consensus) and any responses to outside stimuli the fetus makes are automatic and not perceived, much like the reaction an amoeba has to being poked.

*Though we cannot detect pain in any organisms that are unable to explicitly communicate with us, since we can't map sensory experience, we do know that the part of the brain that humans sense pain with are not present in some animals and also aren't there yet for embryos before the start of the third trimester.
Even if there were some extraordinary way of a brain being able to feel the sensation of pain with a different part of the nervous system that it, for some reason, soon loses the pain connection to, embryos are already naturally kept from feeling anything at all, until birth. This is thanks to the natural sedatives and anesthetics present in embryonic fluid.

My personal belief is C. The current legal standard of abortions being allowed on fetuses before the individual viability point is reached (but not after!) allows for those who do not have the circumstances right for parenthood to be ready and set and good to have the option of not bankrupting themselves over what is, when it comes down to it, something no more human (by that definition) than livestock (which are routinely killed). Some profess that one should not take lives of any animals whatsoever, but that's not an opinion I have. There is an economic reality that I cannot get away from which tells us that mere existence of one thing comes at the cost of other lives; for all of the plants and animals and minerals and energy consumed by one thing could be used by another. Plenty of livestock is raised and killed for the benefit of human society, since we cannot eat some plants that those livestock can eat and millions or billions would not be able to exist without this.[/quote]

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Who would win in a fight?

Samson or Achilles?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Extreme0 posted:

Samson or Achilles?

The Viewer :wiggle:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

Neither of those are in there.

You didn't even look, did you? Here, I'll make it easy for you, they're numbers 103 and 572. Seriously, all it would have taken is two seconds not to look like a fool and you couldn't even manage that.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Extreme0 posted:

Samson or Achilles?

Beowulf

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Black Bones posted:

Beowulf Hulk Hogan

Fixed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Extreme0 posted:

Samson or Achilles?

A heel stabbing, hair pulling fight.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus Christ

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/11/21/texas-oks-most-proposed-new-history-textbooks-despite-outside-objections/

quote:

Texas textbooks will teach public school students that the Founding Fathers based the Constitution on the Bible, and the American system of democracy was inspired by Moses.

On Friday the Republican-controlled Texas State Board of Education voted along party lines 10-5 to approve the biased and inaccurate textbooks. The vote signals a victory for Christian conservatives in Texas, and a disappointing defeat for historical accuracy and the education of innocent children.

The textbooks were written to align with instructional standards that the Board of Education approved back in 2010 with the explicit intention of forcing social studies teaching to adhere to a conservative Christian agenda. The standards require teachers to emphasize America’s so called “Christian heritage.”

Go to Netflix and watch Revisionaries and you will see how this happened

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
One benefit of this policy - they have to actually buy new textbooks to put it into effect.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

You didn't even look, did you? Here, I'll make it easy for you, they're numbers 103 and 572. Seriously, all it would have taken is two seconds not to look like a fool and you couldn't even manage that.

Neither of those say what you say. You are the fool.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Evangelicals are wrong about many things.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

“Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so.”

― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

xutech posted:

“Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so.”

I hate it when Fedora wearing neckbearded internet atheist scumbags have no shame and so rudely waggle his huge critical thinking penis brain around in the face of everyone else all like that.

Why can't they leave believers alone. We have never bothered anyone.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
E: Le Sagan like a baws. Spaghetti monster lol and so on.

Who What Now posted:

The only way you could do that is by judging the Almighty as beyond your limitations. And some point you took the known qualities of God and you made a judgement on which category he went in. The fact that you then placed him in an arbitrary category you call "N/A" doesn't negate the first judgement to do so.

I think "judgement" changes meaning the way you use it here, compared to what we were talking about before. To say that our ability to know something is limited is not the same as passing moral judgment on it.

Muscle Tracer posted:

If an entity is beyond your comprehension, what makes you think you can understand any part of it? How can anything be supposed about that which is unknowable?

Even if the totality of the entity is unknowable, that doesn't mean the entity can't make itself understood. Maybe it could take physical form, or reveal things to prophets and so on.

SedanChair posted:

I don't understand why we wouldn't be able to judge a God we supposed to be real and our creator. Why not? Part of taking the authority of judgment on yourself is to be willing to have it turned back on yourself (as the Christian God pointed out, apparently). And we don't judge people by balancing the good they did against the bad they did. Or at least, we weigh bad actions more heavily. For example we don't praise Jerry Sandusky for all the money he raised for good causes, or Hitler for commissioning the development of an efficient car. Certain actions put you beyond the pale. "Creating reality as it is" would certainly be the greatest conceivable crime an omnipotent being could commit.

I disagree. What you say applies to men but not to God. God sets the rules for men, not the other way around, it's not a two-way street. I think people balance the good against the bad all the time, it's just that - as you point out - some things are (sometimes) considered unforgivable and we apply different standards to friends and enemies. But how is creating reality a crime? A crime according to what law? Who is the victim?

rudatron posted:

The idea that you need a 'right' to question or judge something is what is itself broken, I thought I made that clear. It's literal thought control. Do you understand how disturbing the idea is free thought can be denied because of 'rights'?

Like, every subject is going to have their own subjectivity. Different subjectivities can clash, that's normal. There are no categorical differences between them and, wait for it, there doesn't have to be. We, as members of a society, can communally enforce our common subjectivity between us and call it 'law'. That's it, there's nothing other than that, there's no such thing as a 'super subjectivity' that trumps others, because a subject only cares about their own subjectivity. My 'right' to free thought does not have to be granted to me, it is not some kind of commodity or property. Every single thinking subject must make their own judgements, in order to be a subject and not an object. So, nothing is 'above' judgement, not Kings and not God.

You did make it clear, we simply disagree. The right to free thought has in fact been denied to some extent by many regimes and societes throughout history. You present your own worldview as if it was something self-evident and indisputable, when it is in fact a very recent invention. But that is not the issue here. We're not talking about men judging each other. The point is that there is a categorical difference between God and man, between the sacred and the propane. There is always a right involved when we pass moral judgement. We assume that we are in a position to judge, that the entity is accountable and that there exists some standard by which to judge it. In the case of God we are not in any position to judge, He is not answerable to us and we have no standard by which to judge Him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Berk Berkly posted:

Why can't they leave believers alone. We have never bothered anyone.

I believe you are in a sub-forum called Debate and Discussion, not :qq: Don't attack my sacred beliefs :qq:

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I believe you are in a sub-forum called Debate and Discussion, not :qq: Don't attack my sacred beliefs :qq:

In a thread started by a believer wanting to debate and discuss(or more accurately preach), no less.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Hodgepodge posted:

Isn't the idea, in the wider context in which the Old Testament was written, that Satan is a title that is closer to "devil's advocate" than what we think of as the literal devil? Hence Satan asking God for permission to torment Job (apart from the faithful normally being protected from his power)?

Well, no. It literally means "the adversary", so his role is more prosecution and persecution. Judaism traditionally assigned this role to angels like the Metatron, Samael, Mastema, etc. that are described as malevolent in esoteric texts. Within that context, he's the designated motherfucker of heaven. Job does have a fairly interesting alternate (almost Gnostic) reading when you look at it in conjunction with Genesis and Proverbs, but it's not a theistically Satanist one.

SedanChair posted:

What about Genesis

That's a snake, not an angel, fallen or otherwise, outside of the context of Christianity. It's also fairly clearly a just-so story serving as the outer core for the theodicy argument at the core of the Garden of Eden story, just like the Noah's Ark story and the story of Sodom and Gomorrah provide other theodicy arguments.

Who What Now posted:

God created and controls all evil acts, thus all injustices are directly his fault and responsibility. Satan in not culpable for his actions, only God can be.

Angels lacking free will is only a conceit of some versions of Islam, not of Christianity or Judaism.

Who What Now posted:

He's responsible for all good things and bad things and it just so happens that the bad things waaaaaaaaaaaaay outweigh the good things. All the cute puppies and sappy love stories in the world don't make up for war, famine, diseases, and everything else.

Actually, they do, because life is worth living. Thus, God, if such a being exists, does more good than evil. You agree with this deep down.

Rodatose posted:

1. has the drug destroyed their sense of self in a way that they are not aware of being 'someone' anymore
2. does the drug overpower the negative neural receptors so that existence in their brain is perceived as enjoyable and not suffering

An observer watching someone wash dishes might say "they're being oppressed" but that is attributing one's own perception on someone else's individual situation. I like washing dishes because I have cultivated a taste for it and find it relaxing. That observer might not like washing dishes. So being asked to wash dishes would be suffering and oppression for them but not oppression for me.

Now if the person who asks me to wash dishes gives me drugs to go along with it to make it not just relaxing but enjoyable, then that's even better.

(note: the following paragraph isn't directed at effectronica; it's more something I thought of based on my last post)
I see some online socialists carry with them a fear of what they assume to be menial tasks (even though it's necessary labor- also i'm talking about things like farming and trade skills, not factory work) and they attribute this hatred of menial tasks to things working class folks may have grown used to in places that don't have all of the conveniences of middle/upper class society. Those other folks may have grown used to daily routines and the opiate of religion has even allowed some of those folks a certain peace with their task. That's why cries from an outsider of "you're being oppressed" do not always fall on listening ears; you have to find a way to work with individuals' cultivated tastes and views so that they don't reactively oppose your aims and find the sections of society for whom the predominant culture doesn't satisfy. One individual school of socialist thought isn't the 'right way' as a universal fix-all just as one sect of religion isn't the 'right way'; maybe something might work better for a larger percentage of people but nothing will work for every local situation or every individual. (Of course, individualism requires sapience enough to distinguish the self from others).

e: just some clarifications:
I would not want to force drugs upon someone who doesn't want it; living people taking drugs would have to take it by consensual choice in a non-coercive situation. It could only be forced upon another before they are someone.

by "carefully moderated heroin drips" I was assuming you meant by the "carefully moderated" part some kind of drug regimen that can sustainably and safely upheld over time without chemical resistance developing. I put aside the actual properties of heroin for a hypothetical wonder drug that could be moderated effectively. Heroin currently does not have those qualities.

Some quote from gravity's rainbow

Well, that's a lot of thoughts, but really the basic issue is that if we define oppression or suffering in the colloquial way, I don't see them as purely subjective entities. Someone that is depressed should receive help and care. Someone that is schizophrenic should receive help and care. They are both suffering, even if the depressed individual appears publicly happy or the schizophrenic insists that they're perfectly all right. These are of course far more extreme examples than mere menial labor, but the basic question of whether someone is suffering if drugs prevent them from feeling their body rot away is still worth considering.

In fact, Buddhism, which is supposedly all about how suffering is subjective, still has half of the Eightfold Path be about the objective, physical world.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sakarja posted:

Even if the totality of the entity is unknowable, that doesn't mean the entity can't make itself understood. Maybe it could take physical form, or reveal things to prophets and so on.

So, based on those revelations, why would it not be possible to pass moral judgement on what is known about it? If a man tells me "Hey, there's an omnipotent god up there who created all of this and it's sending you to burn in hellfire in eternity because you don't believe in it," why can I not make a moral judgement on that basis?

Besides which, even just other people are beyond our comprehension. If a person tortures your grandparents to death, do you withhold moral judgement on them or their actions simply because you don't fully understand or can't comprehend them? Because if a hell of a lot of Christians are right, then that's effectively what their God has done to my grandparents.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

xutech posted:

Come on now, that's Not Helpful. That doesn't address the matter at hand, which is

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You don't need a position to judge. Positions are necessary for a judgement to be respected by a group of people, but again, that's political. As a subject, each person has the capability to reach their own judgements - no 'position' required. Like, you brought up this line of conversation because you said you didn't like how atheists discuss the issue: why is a position is necessary for that? And why does whatever you're judging have to be 'accountable'? In discussions on countries here on Something Awful, nothing said on this forum will ever Bring Any Country Into Account. Are those discussion 'invalid'? And mate, everyone has a standard. Everyone judges everything else by their own standard. You can disagree with someone else's standard, but you can't very well deny that they have one.

To demand that you need A Right to judge, A Position to judge, and the ability to bring whatever you're judging to Account is honestly really dystopian: you're denying people their own perspectives and subjectivity simply because they lack power. That's tyranny apologia right there. And I think this brings me to something I've always thought, that religion has always been a metaphor for society. So societies with rigid hierarchies have that same hierarchy embedded into their religion. So the idea that God is unaccountable is functionally a mechanism for social control. It's a mental device to justify tyranny.

So I say, gently caress that poo poo. If god exists and is a fascist, then it's necessary to murder god. I say that both because I mean it, and that it applies to the metaphorical God as much as the metaphysical one: 'God' as metaphor, as an ideological instrument of justifying dictatorship, must be rended limb from limb, so that it can never be put back together again.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 23, 2014

CowOnCrack
Sep 26, 2004

by R. Guyovich

xutech posted:

The existence of God and a savior Christ has profound consequences for our spiritual condition, the fate of humanity and our world, and the afterlife.

An invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire does not.

Not all subjective ideas and belief systems imply the same consequences for our existence. Somehow, we can tell the difference, even though rationally they are the same.

"Is reason alone baptized? What of the passions?"

-Søren Kierkegaard

Carl Sagan was a baller and a childhood hero of mine, but his philosophical worldview is essentially logical positivism which even most philosophers have abandoned.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

CowOnCrack posted:

The existence of God and a savior Christ has profound consequences for our spiritual condition, the fate of humanity and our world, and the afterlife.

I don't see why an unsubstantiated conjecture having ~profound consequences~ makes it somehow more believable than other ~profound consequences~. If the dragon's death freed humankind from mortality forever, would that suddenly make it reasonable for me to believe in it? If belief in Christ is the only road to damnation, rather than salvation, would it be of paramount importance to disbelieve in him?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I also really like Sagan but there's sometimes this weird strand of "obviously we've basically got everything figured out, meaning all previous ideas that don't fit our current situation now need to be brought into harness with our One True Way, and if they aren't, gently caress 'em" which don't work out so well when you aren't in a hegemonic position like the Catholic Church was in Western Europe. (And even there, I gather the Orthodox roundly critique the RCC for its wholesale adoption of pagan philosophers.)

This does not, of course, mean that the scientific method is somehow wrong, or that rational inquiry is somehow bad, but to date everyone who's predicted the end of history has been pretty wrong. It would be awful convenient, and very flattering, if it DID occur while we were alive, of course...

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

CowOnCrack posted:

What about an immortal, transcendental cosmic horror that feasts on the fears and doubts and hopes of all sentient creatures that seeds universes so that life that it can feast upon when conscious beings that can conceive of its existence in all of its cruel madness?

Its not really hard to change the variables so that match up to meet those qualifiers but the points remains the same in all honesty.

The only real difference is "I like this one better" or perhaps more sincerely, "I'm already attached this one and hold it in special reverence."

Nessus posted:

This does not, of course, mean that the scientific method is somehow wrong, or that rational inquiry is somehow bad, but to date everyone who's predicted the end of history has been pretty wrong. It would be awful convenient, and very flattering, if it DID occur while we were alive, of course...

I think that most assaults on logic, scientific rationalism, empiricism, and so on occur because they tend to at best not directly support, to outright discredit and dismiss, something the opposing group holds dear or build a lot of their ego upon. This could be anything from crank physics theories and pseudo-science bullocks, to various flavors of absurd/silly Fundamentalism, such as Kent Hovind and the like.

But the biggest assault comes to those who demand absolute certainties and crystal clear detail with no loose ends. And Science in general really can't do that since it requires falsifiability and works with the assumption of incomplete and imperfect data. At some point the answer to a question is going to be "We don't know" and that is an invalid and unacceptable response to some.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 23, 2014

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Farecoal posted:

lol if u believe in a god

I can only understand this if you were taught to believe in one from a very young age. How full grown adults can suddenly begin to believe in stories (AKA "Convert") written 1400 or 2000 years ago about talking snakes or sky virgins—I'll never know.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Vaall posted:

I can only understand this if you were taught to believe in one from a very young age. How full grown adults can suddenly begin to believe in stories (AKA "Convert") written 1400 or 2000 years ago about talking snakes or sky virgins—I'll never know.

Because humans as a whole are pretty loving dumb. We literally had to invent a whole discipline(Science) and spend centuries refining and integrating that discipline with both the empirical and metaphysical tools needed to help ourselves slowly become slightly less dumb over a long period of time. But on the whole, we are still really stupid.

You can't blame a fish or a bird for not realizing weather is driven by the Sun and Geo-atmospheric interactions. Perhaps only a human is intelligent enough to be stupid enough to think it is a supernatural entity you can persuade with ritual sacrifices.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 23, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Berk Berkly posted:

Because humans as a whole are pretty loving sinful. We literally had to receive a whole revelation(Jesus) and spend centuries developing and integrating that revelation with both the empirical and metaphysical tools needed to help ourself slowly become slightly less sinful over a long period of time. But on the whole, we are still really sinful.
What I kind of wish to see is what kind of social and cultural narratives a genuinely atheistic culture would develop over centuries, just to see if they'd abandon the same drat patterns of biblical narrative or not. Call it a... scientific curiosity.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Vaall posted:

Belief in religion isn't about religion for plenty of individuals; its about the community which forms under those shared values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My Imaginary GF posted:

Belief in religion isn't about religion for plenty of individuals; its about the community which forms under those shared values.

For most people, yes. But there are absolutely true-believing converts.

• Locked thread