Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
lol they literally cant even move takamura forward for another weight class can they

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So 1078 raws are out. Takamura goes full frontal.

http://mangahead.com/Manga-Raw-Scan/Hajime-no-Ippo/Hajime-no-Ippo-1078-Raw-Scan

tbp posted:

lol they literally cant even move takamura forward for another weight class can they

This is actually addressed in the latest raws. Kamogawa has told Takamura to unify each weight class he's in before moving up.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 15, 2014

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1078 is out.

Takamura is still great.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Chapter 1079 is out.

In it Takamura is dropping some truth bombs.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
That...was maybe the best Ippo chapter I've read in a long time, I haven't been this invested in whats going to happen next since the Miyata/Randy Boy fight.

I bet its the Miyata rematch thing that breaks him out of it

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was a really good chapter.

This is why I enjoy characters like Takamura. Yeah he may be a cocky dude but he knows his poo poo. He does have a point, why does Ippo want to keep fighting? If it's Miayata, that dream is dead if I recall, they can't ever have a match. I forgot which chapter it was but someone pointed out they won't be able to cross paths anytime.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Huh. That was actually an interesting chapter.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Isn't Ippo's house in that direction? How's he gonna get home?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Isn't Ippo's house in that direction? How's he gonna get home?
He has to live in the streets now. The world is a cruel place.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
"The old man wanted you to not understand why you lost and complain so he could get mad at you."
"But I totally know why I lost. I wasn't good enough and he beat the poo poo out of me."
"Well then you should quit boxing. Sorry, only crazy people who power through brain injuries without ever changing their tactics can cross this line."
"?" .... "????????"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Fabricated posted:

"Well then you should quit boxing. Sorry, only crazy people who power through brain injuries without ever changing their tactics can cross this line."
"?" .... "????????"

Of course you're confused, seeing as how you've completely managed to miss every point.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

"The old man wanted you to not understand why you lost and complain so he could get mad at you."
"But I totally know why I lost. I wasn't good enough and he beat the poo poo out of me."
"?" .... "????????"

If Ippo admits that he was outclassed by Gonzalez as opposed to saying that he had an off day or his arm hurt or his joystick got unplugged, he's admitting that he's not good enough to become world champion. Takamura, on the other hand, is 100% confident that he is the best in the world. If Ippo isn't good enough to become world champion, it's time for him to quit.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Y'all might be missing the quotation marks around ?s in that thing you're quoting.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Saying, "Yeah that guy totally kicked my rear end, I wasn't good enough." isn't the same thing as saying "welp I guess I can't ever get better".

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
i cant speak for everyone but im willing to overlook that in case it brings actual lasting change to a character in this series that is older than me

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I dunno I think it was a pretty decent chapter to set up Ippo to find some actual motivation to continue boxing. It has nothing to do with whether he can or can't get better, or can or can't change his style of fighting, but it's simply Takamura trying to get him into the sort of mindset he needs to actually keep going. He lost Miyata as a goal, and "world champion" was just kind of a justification to keep doing it more than it actually seemed like he was interested in achieving. Look at all the folks Ippo has fought and want to surpass him, hell look at Vorg, they have that drive and motivation to keep improving to prove to themselves they're the best. Ippo has really just been going through the motions for ages and he finally ran into a wall in Gonzales where that wasn't enough. It's not the development I was expecting, but it does grant a good opportunity for character growth.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Maybe Ippo should actually quit like everyone is telling him to.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
No, the happy ending is one in which he gives himself permanent brain damage to appease them.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
I hope this is actually a stealthy "final" chapter, with the manga ending next issue with Ippo just giving up. After all the stupid poo poo readers of this series have sat through, it'd be a "perfect" ending.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like how someone finally loving addressed That Ippo's motivation of "being strong" is stupid. It was pretty obvious when he became the Japanese champion that he was strong. A better motivation for Ippo would be helpful.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I like how someone finally loving addressed That Ippo's motivation of "being strong" is stupid. It was pretty obvious when he became the Japanese champion that he was strong. A better motivation for Ippo would be helpful.
"I want to win"? Ippo seems to need many sessions of therapy and soulsearching to be able to figure that out though.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Saying, "Yeah that guy totally kicked my rear end, I wasn't good enough." isn't the same thing as saying "welp I guess I can't ever get better".

Yeah, sure, but this sort of rational thinking and careful distinction doesn't necessarily get you too far as a boxer. Rational thinking tells me I can just quit running and it's okay, I'll run an extra mile tomorrow. Irrational thinking is a trainer yelling in your ear "If you quit now you might as well give up forever." Which one makes you a world champion?

Takamura of all people is motivated by 24/7 delusions of grandeur and does crazy poo poo like promise to win a fight in one punch, that's what keeps him going. Some of it is obviously for show but if he didn't honestly straight up believe he was an unbeatable superman, would he still be doing what he does? It's impossible to answer, he would literally be a different person and approach all his fights a different way.

Maybe not everyone has to be Takamura but well, you can see where Takamura might think so. You see this in real life too. When have you ever heard of a fighter going into an interview like "Well if I'm honest, I'd only give myself 40% chance of winning this next fight"? People psyche themselves up to the point that defeat is unimaginable, even if that's profoundly unrealistic.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ippo has also been doing a lot of self-criticizing. For example he keeps telling himself he's not at world level and can't do all these 'mind games' and 'predictions' that the champions have. If you don't even believe you do, then yeah you'll suck at it.

There's a lot of reasons Ippo lost - not only his boxing style but also his mindset.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

at the end of the day, Gonzales just had a better shounen rival

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

McNerd posted:

Rational thinking tells me I can just quit running and it's okay, I'll run an extra mile tomorrow.

...um, no? How is that rational? I think you're confusing the word "rational" with something else.

I would imagine that in the world of elite professional boxing (or any sport) that serious analysis and carefully planned/scheduled training is actually quite important and that people aren't just guts-ing their way to the top.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ytlaya posted:

...um, no? How is that rational? I think you're confusing the word "rational" with something else.

I would imagine that in the world of elite professional boxing (or any sport) that serious analysis bribing and carefully planned/scheduled training rigging is actually quite important and that people aren't just guts-ing their way to the top.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Haha, yeah I guess that's also true.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

I would imagine that in the world of elite professional boxing (or any sport) that serious analysis and carefully planned/scheduled training is actually quite important and that people aren't just guts-ing their way to the top.

I don't think you understand manga

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So like is the old dude ever going to take responsibility for training Ippo in a manner that almost got him loving killed

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Rei_ posted:

So like is the old dude ever going to take responsibility for training Ippo in a manner that almost got him loving killed

I was hopeful for that when we saw him flash-backing to that other trainer mocking him after the Woli fight, but recent chapters make it seem like that's simply not going to be addressed in favour of "Ippo needs to learn a backwards-rear end lesson again."

With the power of excuses his head will be able to take unbelievable amounts of punishment.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Maybe Ippo should actually quit like everyone is telling him to.

Then we can finally turn the manga into Takamura no Ippo.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Soth posted:

Then we can finally turn the manga into Takamura no Ippo.

It would be a much better series if it was called Takamura, no Ippo.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Soth posted:

Then we can finally close this thread

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Picked up Ippo from where I left it a couple of months ago, at chapter 753. It's been pretty good to this point, honestly can't really complain, but is this gonna turn into poo poo at some point? This thread seems to be all about that.

Also Ippo has been wanting to "get stronger" for years now and after so many fights. How come all of this is still about his self-esteem? I understand how "beating himself" would have been his motive at first but jesus christ still? People get over that even without boxing.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

ManOfTheYear posted:

Picked up Ippo from where I left it a couple of months ago, at chapter 753. It's been pretty good to this point, honestly can't really complain, but is this gonna turn into poo poo at some point? This thread seems to be all about that.
Tremble in fear when the name "Woli" appears. That's the point where you might want to close your eyes for the next 50 chapters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bisse posted:

Tremble in fear when the name "Woli" appears. That's the point where you might want to close your eyes for the next 50 chapters.

Yeah, Woli is the worst part of the entire manga. Not long after that Vorg shows up for a while and the manga gets really good at least for a while.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ManOfTheYear posted:

Also Ippo has been wanting to "get stronger" for years now and after so many fights. How come all of this is still about his self-esteem? I understand how "beating himself" would have been his motive at first but jesus christ still? People get over that even without boxing.
Yeah, it's weird that he still is like "What's it like to be strong???" after having beaten like a dozen and a half trained fighters to complete unconsciousness, with a statistically significant amount of them either being carted out on a stretcher or having to go the hospital because he loving broke their eye sockets and ribs.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, it's weird that he still is like "What's it like to be strong???" after having beaten like a dozen and a half trained fighters to complete unconsciousness, with a statistically significant amount of them either being carted out on a stretcher or having to go the hospital because he loving broke their eye sockets and ribs.

I kinda get confused with the anime meaning for "strength" from time to time: If it's a fantasy setting like DBZ or something "getting stronger" literally means everything and can only serve you good, because you have to protect yourself and your friends from the bad guys etc. and there are no reprecussions, but Ippo is about real life boxing, so getting stuck on the concept of "getting stronger" is a bit off. Ippo's getting brain damage and other injuries in his search for "strength" and that strength is very relative, because if he tries some other sport - like MMA or some poo poo - he won't be strong at all. If Ippo would have been all about winning that world championship belt it would have been much more understandable, but just trying to "get strong" via boxing after the beginning part of his career goes over my head.

What are we trying to accomplish here? Achieve some sort of Nippon Spirit? :japan: Kill a young man through the manifestation through that spirit? If a dude can't even ask a girl out and he somehow tries to get that "strength" through boxing I think he would really need some sort of other training. Like therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

I kinda get confused with the anime meaning for "strength" from time to time:
Dont overthink it; just remember these are comics for little boys in Japan. Stereotypically it's expected and considered natural that little boys want to be big and strong, and you want them to channel that in a constructive way rather than just beating people up. Thus, a profusion of manga characters hung up on debating "the true meaning of strength" and discovering that real strength is about working hard and helping your mom out around the house, and fake strength is about bullying and being in a gang.