Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's not recommended by Nintendo but mine is working fine.

Good to know!

Also Nobody told me my HDD needed the Y cable plugged in to work, I'll try that and see if it works then. There's no USB port to charge the pro controllers at that point though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I guess I'm part of the club now, I took advantage of the Toys R Us deal plus their 15% off coupon for today and a $10 rewards coupon I had to get Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, and Hyrule Warriors, plus a few Amibos my kids liked. Now I just need the actual console, is there anywhere that is supposed to have a Black Friday deal better than the $200 refurb you can get direct from Nintendo?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Good to know!

Also Nobody told me my HDD needed the Y cable plugged in to work, I'll try that and see if it works then. There's no USB port to charge the pro controllers at that point though...

You can charge with any USB port. Doesn't have to be the one on the Wii U. But unless you have an adapter plugged in, there should be two extra USB ports on the opposite side of whatever side you have that plugged in.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

You can charge with any USB port. Doesn't have to be the one on the Wii U. But unless you have an adapter plugged in, there should be two extra USB ports on the opposite side of whatever side you have that plugged in.

Oh there's 4? I didn't even notice. I was planning on getting an adapter for GC but at least I can plug and unplug that.

Edit: this digital deluxe promotion - it's just as simple as spend $50 get $5?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I think so, yeah. However it's over at the end of this year, so you're not going to get too much out of it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Oh there's 4? I didn't even notice. I was planning on getting an adapter for GC but at least I can plug and unplug that.

Edit: this digital deluxe promotion - it's just as simple as spend $50 get $5?

Yup, two in the front, two in the back.

And also yes, but it's an actual $50. Games go for $49.99, so you'll be a cent short.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Yup, two in the front, two in the back.

And also yes, but it's an actual $50. Games go for $49.99, so you'll be a cent short.

Well gently caress Bayonetta 2 is 49.99
I guess if I get a $60 game now I get $10 then?

Maybe I should just get smash digitally. Got 3d world with the system, and mario kart is cheaper physical than online where I am.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Maybe I should just get smash digitally. Got 3d world with the system, and mario kart is cheaper physical than online where I am.

Bayonetta 1 + 2 are $60, do you have a reason not to get the first one?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If you buy Bayonetta 2 the eShop lets you get 1 for $10 so it comes out to $60 together. You also get $5 back for every $60 spent but that promotion ends on 12/31.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Sorry, yeah. It's $60. However, the same $x.99 math applies.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I would be much obliged if y'all would write "Dear Nintendo please continue the DDP thing forever and also add it to 3DS xoxo" to all your Club Nintendo surveys

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The Mario Kart DLC is great and counts towards the DDP so grab that if you're short for a $5 credit. Also you get DDP credit for any Wii U virtual console games you get from club nintendo, the Wii U election is a bit poo poo this month but they're changing again before the end of the DDP promotion so we may get lucky there.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Exactly 1264MB

How'd you get it to show the size in normal units and not blocks?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The U doesn't do blocks like the 3DS.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Question for you guys - is the memory difference in the 8gb Wii U vs. the 32gb one like a matter of internal memory, or is it just like an included SD card that you could replace off Amazon for like $10-$15? Also, is that DDP thing only applicable to games you buy off the e-shop?

Someone please answer my questions so I can make an informed purchase at deep discounts :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

raditts posted:

Question for you guys - is the memory difference in the 8gb Wii U vs. the 32gb one like a matter of internal memory, or is it just like an included SD card that you could replace off Amazon for like $10-$15? Also, is that DDP thing only applicable to games you buy off the e-shop?

Someone please answer my questions so I can make an informed purchase at deep discounts :(

It's system memory using a drive or whatever nerd poo poo people say. You can't replace it, but you can hook up an external and use that.

And yes.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

raditts posted:

Just a reminder the ddp thing only lasts until the end of this year, so you won't have a long time to take advantage of it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

With the DDP probably ending this year, the only real benefits of the 32gb model are: you can store a few more games on it, it comes with a $5 charging cradle and $10-15 Nintendoland, and it's black.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Pretty sure it only actually lasts til the end of this month.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Do they even still manufacture white Wii Us? I thought they were phasing them out and what remained were unsold stock and refurbished units.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

greatn posted:

Pretty sure it only actually lasts til the end of this month.

It takes about 10 seconds longer to fact check than it does to post something false like a goofball.

In any case, there are still a fair few quality games that could be bought digitally on the platform. If you dropped a lot of money, quickly, you'd take as much advantage of it as people who'd already had the system for the last two years, barring Club Nintendo rewards.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 23, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Do they even still manufacture white Wii Us? I thought they were phasing them out and what remained were unsold stock and refurbished units.

Toys R Us is apparently selling an 8gb white Wii U with that Skylanders game for $200 on Black Friday. I don't give a poo poo about Skylanders and can't really find anything explaining why it's so popular, but I do know I don't want my kids bugging me to buy $20 figurines so I'm trying to gauge whether I want that or just a 32gb refurb from Nintendo.

I've read that a double pack of both the NES Remix games is coming out in a couple of weeks. Those are just snippets of NES games where you try to accomplish goals, kind of like Wario Ware, right? Anyone who's played them that can say whether they're worth a buy for $30?

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 23, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It's insanely amazing how better Smash Wii U is compared to 3DS.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

I've run the numbers and my findings are: they're both real good.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think Smash 3DS is like a demo of the Wii U one. Not that it actually is, but that is feels like one.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

raditts posted:

Toys R Us is apparently selling an 8gb white Wii U with that Skylanders game for $200 on Black Friday. I don't give a poo poo about Skylanders and can't really find anything explaining why it's so popular, but I do know I don't want my kids bugging me to buy $20 figurines so I'm trying to gauge whether I want that or just a 32gb refurb from Nintendo.

I've read that a double pack of both the NES Remix games is coming out in a couple of weeks. Those are just snippets of NES games where you try to accomplish goals, kind of like Wario Ware, right? Anyone who's played them that can say whether they're worth a buy for $30?

NES Remix owns, but I hear the double pack thing actually has LESS than buying both separately. For the same price.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Gutcruncher posted:

NES Remix owns, but I hear the double pack thing actually has LESS than buying both separately. For the same price.

I think that might be the 3DS version that got less. But, if the Wii U retail version actually has less stuff than the earlier digital releases, then what the gently caress Nintendo.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Starhawk64 posted:

While this is true, for me at least, the 3DS version will continue to see use because my brother doesn't have a WiiU and is away at college. I can smash against him at any time now and then play WiiU Smash with him when he comes home for holidays.

vvv e: Reminds me, I haven't tried that mode yet.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 23, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

noirstronaut posted:

I think Smash 3DS is like a demo of the Wii U one. Not that it actually is, but that is feels like one.

Counterpoint: Smash Run owns, Smash Board does not

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Okay, I take it back, both are great. Mechanically they are the same, I guess I say Wii U is better because I feel like it has better stage selection, but then I remember 3DS has the best version of Mute City, Magicant, Gerudo Valley, and Rainbow Road.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Blorange posted:

Bayonetta 1 + 2 are $60, do you have a reason not to get the first one?

I wanted to use the free $10 to pick up bayo 1 actually

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FPzero posted:

vvv e: Reminds me, I haven't tried that mode yet.

Smash Tour is, in fact, very terrible.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I dunno, I kind of find Smash Tour pretty entertaining. I ended up in some fight where it was spawning Mr. Saturns nonstop, and the fight came down to me vs Fox and we were just throwing Mr. Saturns around like crazy, while standing in a weird army/carpet of them.

Also I chose to start a fight with a bob omb, and someone used an item that made me star the fight asleep. And then I just cried and watched Ganon cuddle his bob omb until death.

Also I have fought tons with my Link amiibo in the fight and also left it doing an 8 man Smash for a while. He is now level 49 and very tough. What have I done.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

RyokoTK posted:

Smash Tour is, in fact, very terrible.

Is that the stupid board game thing? Because it sucked so hard.

Also, Nintendo seriously needs to test people's connections before they allow online play. I was in a match today that had a 10-15 framerate because someone's connection sucked. I didn't feel like flailing around for 6 mins to finish the match, so I just sat down my controller to do something else. Then I get a pop up saying I've been disconnected for idling, and I have to wait 10mins for my next match. How loving hard is it to implement online play properly?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

noirstronaut posted:

Exactly 1264MB

Oh, Captain Toad is available for preloading? Guess I should go do that right now then because I am excited for that.

edit: Doesn't appear to be available for preload on the US shop, guess that must be a different region or something.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 23, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Or I'm just cool with someone who knows someone 8)

or I janked it from the Twitter of someone in the gaming industry

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I Finally finished Pikmin 3 tonight after having collected all the fruit and reaching the final stage two weeks ago.

What a game!

The first two games were good, but wow, this one is the top dog. I loved everything about it except the pressure to keep moving in the final stage. I want to do the missions but Hyrule Warriors, Bayonettea 1/2, Fantasy Life, and now Smash Bros. are all staring me down.

What a wonderful time to enjoy Nintendo!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I gotta say, Im liking this Amiibo gimmick more than I thought I would. Sure they couldve just let you save a custom AI dude to an SD card or a Wii Remote or a 3DS Suitcase or something like that, but theres just something stupidly joyful about fighting alongside my little toy pal.

Edit: I will buy a Luigi Amiibo then break Luigi off the pedestal and glue my Waluigi figure on in its place. Ingame I will name it Waluigi and give it the purple costume.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 23, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wildtortilla posted:

I Finally finished Pikmin 3 tonight after having collected all the fruit and reaching the final stage two weeks ago.

What a game!

The first two games were good, but wow, this one is the top dog. I loved everything about it except the pressure to keep moving in the final stage. I want to do the missions but Hyrule Warriors, Bayonettea 1/2, Fantasy Life, and now Smash Bros. are all staring me down.

What a wonderful time to enjoy Nintendo!

I just tried to pick Pikmin 3 back up a few days ago after not having played it for 4 or 5 months, and... I'm gonna have to start over, because it seems way too complicated, and outside of hunting down big rear end pieces of fruit, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing or where I'm supposed to land/go.

I did try out the wiimote/nunchuk controls though, and they're awesome. I didn't end up liking the Gamepad controls in the end, because the thing is just too heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm going to put my amiibo's chip into my watch and make yugioh poses before dramatically summoning my eternal pal King Dedede to my side

• Locked thread