Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I am enjoying the singleplayer but I'm already like haflway through it. I'm not hating the coop but it's hard to imagine sinking as much time in it as in Revelations/III/Black Flag multiplayer. In fact the last two games' wolfpack was arguably better coop than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

quote:

There is also a uPlay club in AC: Unity for PC players. Once you're out of the prologue, go to My Brotherhood, My Club/Search For Club, search for [SAAC] or Goon_Ass

Is that supposed to be a joke? Because even on PC you apparently have to manually scroll through the entire list of available clubs...

Is there some way to narrow this down? Country etc.?

Edit: NVM apparently the recommended club for me is Goon_Ass, I wonder how that happened.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 23, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

GhostDog posted:

After the initial disappointment I actually ended up getting into Unity to some extent. I wonder what that game could have been if it had been released next season. I think they made an honest effort to give a bit more depth to the core systems (combat, stealth, parkour, assassinations) but got stuck halfway when the deadline rushed up.

Unity was in development for 4 years.

4 years.

If they were working on it that long and still couldn't figure out the core systems without hitting deadline then there's some major management issues there.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

macnbc posted:

4 years.

If they were working on it that long and still couldn't figure out the core systems without hitting deadline then there's some major management issues there.

Oh, I thought this only started proper productiona after 3. Was that yet another team?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Eh, that "Four year development time" is kinda bullshit. They had people working on the game for four years, but I'd bet anything that the bulk of the work and programming and actual implementation was maybe a solid eighteen months.

I'm wrapping up my time with Rogue, and I really wonder what this dev team could do if they weren't tasked with a project Ubisoft clearly didn't give a poo poo about. Considering how much of the game had to be reused (the most baffling is how all of Kenway's combat animations are given to Shay, out of sheer laziness), they actually come up with some very intriguing additions and tweaks to the formula.

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011
I'm pretty sure it was the team that made Revelations that worked on Unity

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

KramFoot posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the team that made Revelations that worked on Unity

The creative director for Unity was also the director for Revelations. I don't know about the rest of the team.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

macnbc posted:

4 years.

Most of what's breaking Unity is on the Uplay end.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Eh, that "Four year development time" is kinda bullshit. They had people working on the game for four years, but I'd bet anything that the bulk of the work and programming and actual implementation was maybe a solid eighteen months.

I'm wrapping up my time with Rogue, and I really wonder what this dev team could do if they weren't tasked with a project Ubisoft clearly didn't give a poo poo about. Considering how much of the game had to be reused (the most baffling is how all of Kenway's combat animations are given to Shay, out of sheer laziness), they actually come up with some very intriguing additions and tweaks to the formula.

please explain how developing a game is distinct from working on a game.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Decided to stop exploring the map long enough in Rogue to finish the main story.

It is entirely too short, but the mission design is top-notch. I can't think of any of the main missions that had me pounding my head against the wall like in AC3 and AC4. There were some really great setpieces and a good variety of activity involved. And no eavesdropping missions.

I like just from between the start of the last memory in sequence 6 through the end of the game it managed to set the narrative stage both for AC3 and Unity. There was a really great moment between Haytham and Achilles at the end that felt like pure fan service.

Honestly if Ubisoft has any sense they'll make a sequel for this one. They certainly left room open for it.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Kin posted:

That can be spun as them having to evolve the tech a little in order to let other people relive memories through someone's DNA.

Yeah, it undoes the importance of the main characters from the first games, but it could be spun that there was more tech in that place where Desmond died that allowed them to enhance the Animus to Helix.

That's actually canon. Some of the hackable files in Black Flag show early attempts at reliving the genetic memories of someone you're not related to, and at some point the game straight-up tells you "yeah we can do this now."

Snuffman posted:

Oh, his skull is in the catacombs. Guess we don't need to worry about Abstergo finding it. Thanks.

I thought that was great. The catacombs are huge, there are millions of skulls in there, and it's very unlikely they'd be able to extract any DNA from the bones. They really don't need to worry about Abstergo finding it, honestly.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Leo Showers posted:

please explain how developing a game is distinct from working on a game.

Technical development vs. game design and content creation. According to a recent article, the first 2 years of Unity's development time were spent on researching potential technological capacity of next-gen consoles (and presumably building the new engine).

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

cuc posted:

Technical development vs. game design and content creation. According to a recent article, the first 2 years of Unity's development time were spent on researching potential technological capacity of next-gen consoles (and presumably building the new engine).

Clearly those were two years well spent.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

cuc posted:

Ok, so those two years of development don't count because it was spent on research, something which could be considered a pretty core part of developing a game.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

macnbc posted:

And no eavesdropping missions.

This is almost entirely true of Unity as well. Maybe enough people gave that poo poo low ratings?

Actually, did Ubisoft ever release statistics about the mission ratings?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I've just started this and I'm not sure what the complaints are so far. The game maintains a higher framerate than rear end Creed Brotherhood on my 2500k / 970, the free running really good and the environments are blowing my mind. The only grumble I have so far is the screen tearing.

I'm sure I'll get to the problems eventually but this seems like the series I love atm.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only eavesdrop missions I recall in Unity so far are just getting to the right location, and hiding.

One was a side mission that had you hide in a specific... Closet? Whatever those booths are. The other was a story mission where it's all done in cutscene anyway.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
My biggest problem with the missions is those loving snipers, they see you from miles (edit: in stealth-videogame terms) away. And high amount of guards in general. It doesn't really help that the environment is so detailed and the crowds so big, they just get lost in the visual clutter. I think a lot of my problems trying to properly stealth the missions could be alleviated if eagle vision was infinite distance and not on a timer.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Sorry of this was already posted, but clips of Unity's next DLC have started to leak online.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Leo Showers posted:

Ok, so those two years of development don't count because it was spent on research, something which could be considered a pretty core part of developing a game.

I think the original point was that length of development time doesn't say anything about the actual resources put into it, so it's not paradoxical to say a game might have been rushed despite being developed over so many years.

Like, the project could have been running for 3 years as just a couple of spare guys and a $0 budget. Then in the last year the full Ubisoft workforce joins in and cranks the whole thing out to deadline.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, is there a way to link my AC games to Initiates, or does that just happen automatically after it finishes being hosed? Because I know my level should be a hell of a lot higher, considering I 100%ed most of these drat games.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Daily Forecast posted:

So, is there a way to link my AC games to Initiates, or does that just happen automatically after it finishes being hosed? Because I know my level should be a hell of a lot higher, considering I 100%ed most of these drat games.

It's based off of Uplay.

I have like 4 games that Initiates has logged as 100%, but still doesn't think I finished the story in.

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013
Is there no goon club on PS4? Or (more likely) am I doing something wrong? It can't find any clubs with anything like 'goon' or 'sa'.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, but I have all of those games on uPlay. Shouldn't it just happen automatically? Even if it didn't count games I have on Steam, it still has no data for AC3, which I bought retail, activated on uPlay, and 100%ed. But it says I don't even have the game. Is there something I need to do?

edit: and I still haven't gotten back my loving edward kenway outfit :argh:

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 23, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Purple Prophecy posted:

Is there no goon club on PS4? Or (more likely) am I doing something wrong? It can't find any clubs with anything like 'goon' or 'sa'.

It's lljk

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Daily Forecast posted:

Yeah, but I have all of those games on uPlay. Shouldn't it just happen automatically? Even if it didn't count games I have on Steam, it still has no data for AC3, which I bought retail, activated on uPlay, and 100%ed. But it says I don't even have the game. Is there something I need to do?

Yes, it should happen automatically. No, it's not working properly at this time. No, there's nothing you can do. They just need to fix their poo poo.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Answer I was looking for, thanks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Assassin's Creed - Every game is the worst game. Don't worry next title people will be in here saying this is still the worst game while the new game's post will have people saying that it doesn't hold a candle to Unity. It is the game cycle for the somethingawful posts.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Tenzarin posted:

Assassin's Creed - Every game is the worst game. Don't worry next title people will be in here saying this is still the worst game while the new game's post will have people saying that it doesn't hold a candle to Unity. It is the game cycle for the somethingawful posts.

Actually, pretty sure everyone agrees that 3 is the worst, and 4 is one of if not the best, with some people rating brotherhood up there as well.

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013

sellouts posted:

It's lljk

:doh: I should have thought of that. Thanks!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Thread title suggestion:

Assassin's Creed Unity - an actually pretty excellent game if you can ignore all the

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Khisanth Magus posted:

and 4 is one of if not the best

Only because it's barely got anything in common with any of the other games and because it's got a shallow sailing/pirate simulator in it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
What really disappointed me in 4 is that I figured they were gonna do something new with the combat because you aren't really an assassin. I was pretty excited after you find the wrist blade you just throw it away but nope, a little while later you get them again and it's business as usual :( Interesting I've only talked to one person who outright disliked 4 because of the sailing, they were more interested in the story, climbing, etc than the games try at something vaguely different.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Tracula posted:

What really disappointed me in 4 is that I figured they were gonna do something new with the combat because you aren't really an assassin. I was pretty excited after you find the wrist blade you just throw it away but nope, a little while later you get them again and it's business as usual :( Interesting I've only talked to one person who outright disliked 4 because of the sailing, they were more interested in the story, climbing, etc than the games try at something vaguely different.

The true cruel irony of AC4 is that sidequesting and running around doing random poo poo was way more fun then actually playing through the story. I'd argue that AC4's worst missions were in the main storyline.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Tracula posted:

Interesting I've only talked to one person who outright disliked 4 because of the sailing, they were more interested in the story, climbing, etc than the games try at something vaguely different.

After an hour of playing it i could tell it was going to be the Ubisoft standard and that the next 14 hours of sailing were going to be filled with the exact same actions/animations i'd just seen. Then the novelty disappeared and the game became a slog.

I tend to think that the people who constantly sing the highest praises for 4 took longer to pick up on that, are in the "AC is still a good series" camp or are just so chuffed about being a 3rd person pirate with seamless land/ship/ship boarding that they're willing to swallow a lovely Ubisoft game based around it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

After an hour of playing it i could tell it was going to be the Ubisoft standard and that the next 14 hours of sailing were going to be filled with the exact same actions/animations i'd just seen. Then the novelty disappeared and the game became a slog.

I tend to think that the people who constantly sing the highest praises for 4 took longer to pick up on that, are in the "AC is still a good series" camp or are just so chuffed about being a 3rd person pirate with seamless land/ship/ship boarding that they're willing to swallow a lovely Ubisoft game based around it.

Eh. "The next (X) hours are going to be pretty much the same with minor variations" describes the huge bulk of open world games. They're generally more about immersion than strong core gameplay. If the specific gimmick works for you tends to be more important than anything and the pirate gimmick worked for a lot of people.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. "The next (X) hours are going to be pretty much the same with minor variations" describes the huge bulk of open world games. They're generally more about immersion than strong core gameplay. If the specific gimmick works for you tends to be more important than anything and the pirate gimmick worked for a lot of people.

I get that repetition is a factor but usually there's a good deal of stuff that's repeatable. With AC 4, even the ship stuff felt really shallow.

There are only like 3 boarding/ship conquest types. Blowing a ship out of the water ends up being the exact same, ram em to death or get next to them and blow em up with the side canons, mortars.

Progressing through the game doesn't even increase the difficulty, you end up coming up against just 3 or 4 ship types that get more and more health and damage, nullified by you getting more health and damage causing the whole thing to just be the same all the way through. The only exceptions are the bonus special ships with "unique combat". If this unique combat is something that's reserved for special fights then there's something fundamentally wrong with the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

I get that repetition is a factor but usually there's a good deal of stuff that's repeatable. With AC 4, even the ship stuff felt really shallow.

There are only like 3 boarding/ship conquest types. Blowing a ship out of the water ends up being the exact same, ram em to death or get next to them and blow em up with the side canons, mortars.

Progressing through the game doesn't even increase the difficulty, you end up coming up against just 3 or 4 ship types that get more and more health and damage, nullified by you getting more health and damage causing the whole thing to just be the same all the way through. The only exceptions are the bonus special ships with "unique combat". If this unique combat is something that's reserved for special fights then there's something fundamentally wrong with the game.

Like I said, that describes pretty much every open world game. I mean, to use a different recent example, Shadow of Mordor is probably the most fun I've had with an open world game in years but in the end it is honestly super-repetitive unless you specifically go out of your way to vary your abilities and moves. The same applies to everything from Infamous to Grand Theft Auto. Even the latter tends towards "lovely minigames" to pad out what amounts to 'drive from place to place" or "shoot the same kinds of enemies in the face over and over." (GTA probably has less enemy variety than AC, honestly.)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

True, but at the same time there's a level of depth and complexity to the stuff in Shadow of Mordor and those other games that makes those areas of repetitiveness (the overall "endless combat" case in SoM) a lot less repetitive. In most of the games you mentioned, i wouldn't really say you've got ot "go out of your way" to overcome the repetitiveness, which is the thing that's different with AC4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

True, but at the same time there's a level of depth and complexity to the stuff in Shadow of Mordor and those other games that makes those areas of repetitiveness (the overall "endless combat" case in SoM) a lot less repetitive. In most of the games you mentioned, i wouldn't really say you've got ot "go out of your way" to overcome the repetitiveness, which is the thing that's different with AC4.

Well, that's the thing I'd disagree with. Some of them are certainly better about it than others (the Nemesis system in SoM) but at the end of the day they're literal sandboxes where it depends on player interaction to keep up with things. I mean I obviously found SoM to be less repetitive but there's someone in the thread who did nothing but spam throwing daggers 24/7 and hated it.

In the case of AC4, there's actually a fair amount to do. It's repetitive as hell at its core but if the illusion works for you then it works for you. You can go diving or take down forts or battle the giant super-ships or try to capture ships in different ways or whatever. You don't need to do most of that and in the end it does involve doing the same things over and over, but the illusion of those same things being worthwhile tends to be the important thing. That is why the Nemesis system is such a neat idea. You're basically fighting the same Orcs over and over again but it provides just enough of an illusion of difference that it disguises the repetition and lack of enemy types.

I mean variety is a good thing but at the end of the day there are no sandbox games that really have enough original content to pad out their game worlds. What really matters is if the content they do have manages to grab you. (And obviously isn't a broken mess or whatever, which AC unfortunately is kind of iffy on providing.) I think AC4 worked for people because it really did provide the idea that there was a lot to do. You could go in a direction and have something to do, even if it was just diving in a wreck or liberating a plantation or solving one of the gylph puzzles. You could even pop out of the Animus and go exploring Ubisoft to play minigames if you wanted. lovely minigames but whatever.

In comparison Unity feels really empty and barren. There's not much there besides the co-op missions, climbing things and a few lackluster side missions. The world is huge and detailed but despite not being that much more repetitive than AC4 it feels more repetitive.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 23, 2014

• Locked thread