Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The interesting thing about this is that all the explanation of materiel, command structures, and tactics seem as much about preparing for a war with the soviets as it is about understanding them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Unthinkable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Was watching this documentary about rape in Bangladesh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7QOlqirns
it contains some :nws: content (a dead body)

It inspired me to look up some maps about women's security around the world, I thought I would share some of them:

All maps are from here: http://womanstats.org/newmapspage.html

I find it sad that so many women the world over are not safe.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 22, 2014

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Kamrat posted:

What the gently caress, Germany?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

BBJoey posted:

There was a vaguely similar one for the Red Army that basically pointed out they did the heavy lifting in the war and were just the same as their American counterparts. Shame that neither narrative stuck. :smith:

e: here it is https://archive.org/stream/PAM21-30#page/n3/mode/2up

It says that Red Army soldiers don't drink while on duty lol

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Albino Squirrel posted:

The culprit are obviously the 15 million people with migration background.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

Kamrat posted:

lots of maps
Little Bhutan doing well though :unsmith:

In 1999, the UK government made an adjustment to the Anglo-Scottish maritime border.

I wonder why they did that?

oh.

(the green blobs are oil fields)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Also Serbia, jesus.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

dadrips posted:

In 1999, the UK government made an adjustment to the Anglo-Scottish maritime border.

oh.

Yeah like Norway wouldn't have claimed those fields if it wasn't for the Act's of Union.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Kamrat posted:

Was watching this documentary about rape in Bangladesh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY7QOlqirns

It inspired me to look up some maps about women's security around the world, I thought I would share some of them:

[citation needed]

Somehow I don't think that Azerbaijan and Armenia really can report 0 rapes per 100,000 people. Taking the official statistics is worthless in countries where there is a "strong cultural barrier to report rape". (I also would be interested in hearing what these barriers are supposed to be in Germany)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

System Metternich posted:

Somehow I don't think that Azerbaijan and Armenia really can report 0 rapes per 100,000 people. Taking the official statistics is worthless in countries where there is a "strong cultural barrier to report rape". (I also would be interested in hearing what these barriers are supposed to be in Germany)

This indeed. They probably need to round these up by orders of magnitude, even though that introduces a whole host of other problems (see: the arguments about how many people lived in pre-Colombian America).

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Glorious Dragon Kingdom of Bhutan free of all rape, hahaha, sure

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

dadrips posted:

oh.

Probably done as one of the last Orders in Council before the Scottish Parliament was convened for the first time.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Might be that they don't have any specific data for rape-cases in those countries, if we look at this map here it tells a different story:

I don't get why they're not greyed out if that the case.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 22, 2014

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

What the hell does no data mean for DRC, Cote D'Ivoire, and Bosnia? That rape isnt illegal?! :stonk:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Riso posted:

The culprit are obviously the 15 million people with migration background.

Wait, have you now begun mocking your own ridiculous opinions so we dont have to do it?

Map:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ekuNNN posted:

Wait, have you now begun mocking your own ridiculous opinions so we dont have to do it?

Map:

Terrible map, Latvia had colony, Trinidad and Tobago.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

ekuNNN posted:

Map:

Where did Greece have a colony? Are they just tallying up the countries on the "List of former European colonies" page on Wikipedia? Because that includes Magna Graecia which happened like 2000 years before all the other colonies...

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For those who are curious, that map is based on this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_European_colonies I had never heard of the failed attempt to colonize the Nicobar Islands by Austria.

Edit: Yeah, they're counting Magna Graecia, which is kind of dumb.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Chicken posted:

Where did Greece have a colony? Are they just tallying up the countries on the "List of former European colonies" page on Wikipedia? Because that includes Magna Graecia which happened like 2000 years before all the other colonies...

The site claims it was based on this list, which indeed lists Magna Graecia (why the Latin name and not Megale Hellas?).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ekuNNN posted:

Map:

That French number should be zero. They were all integral parts of France. :colbert:

I wonder if the Spanish number includes the plazas de soberainia or the English number including Gibraltar.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
A better map would be by population or landmass. "Number of colonies" doesn't say a whole lot.

Also is the colony counted as Austria's actually Austria-Hungary or what?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Also is the colony counted as Austria's actually Austria-Hungary or what?

Edible Hat posted:

For those who are curious, that map is based on this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_European_colonies I had never heard of the failed attempt to colonize the Nicobar Islands by Austria.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

khwarezm posted:

Also Serbia, jesus.

I'd really like to see the source for those statistics, because they make no goddamn sense.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Corsica was probably freer as an English protectorate than as a French department. Integral, indivisible part of the Republic :france:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Communist Zombie posted:

What the hell does no data mean for DRC, Cote D'Ivoire, and Bosnia? That rape isnt illegal?! :stonk:

I can't speak about Bosnia, but there was a civil war in Cote d'Ivoire until not that long ago and the eastern parts of the DRC are where the worse conflict since WW2 took place. It's probably that no reliable data is available as a results of those conflicts.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

JosefStalinator posted:

I had to read some primary sources on territorial conflict over Macedonia, and the competing claims there, for my PhD research.

A couple of pages late but I would be very interested in reading these primary sources. Either post them here or I can try to get my e-mail to you somehow. No need to :filez: anything, if they're publicly available a link would be great, if not just give me the name of the report/article/book and I'll see if I have access to it.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Kassad posted:

I can't speak about Bosnia, but there was a civil war in Cote d'Ivoire until not that long ago and the eastern parts of the DRC are where the worse conflict since WW2 took place. It's probably that no reliable data is available as a results of those conflicts.

It's a map of laws. Even if the conflicts preclude accurate measurement of what's happening on the ground, they shouldn't preclude looking up the definition of "rape" in the Bosnian criminal code.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ponsonby Britt posted:

It's a map of laws. Even if the conflicts preclude accurate measurement of what's happening on the ground, they shouldn't preclude looking up the definition of "rape" in the Bosnian criminal code.

That map has Bosnia colored in.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

That map has Bosnia colored in.

Im looking right at the map and seeing grey, unless I misremembered the name for the country Croatia wraps around.

Also find it odd that French Guiana (an integral part of France and so under the same laws as mainland France) and Puerto Rico are also shaded grey. Possibly also some other Caribbean islands, but I cant tell.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Bosnia has a weak central government that has to include members from the three major ethnic groups committee-style at all levels. Bosnia also lost a lawsuit in which a Roma and a Jewish politician sued for discrimination, because the law explicitly bars minorities for the highest office, but failed to implement the judgment.
Then you have the so called entities, with Republic of Srpska in the Serb majority part and the Federation in the Bosniak and Croat parts. They have their own sets of prime ministers, parliaments and cabinets. Furthermore, the entities are divided into cantons, with their own governments et cetera. The country is slightly smaller than West Virginia and inhabited by less than 4 million people. It is the biggest unsolvable problem of Europe.
All of the levels of government are faboulosly corrupt and disorganized. So try and guess why there are no data on rape from Bosnia.

e: typos

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Nov 23, 2014

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Kamrat posted:

Ha, see Switzerland being dark green? yeah? that's obviously not counting the times they sent any girl not adhering to the social norms to the madhouse, or the fact women didn't have the vote until 1971 (in some places it took until 1990).

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

IndustrialApe posted:

Ha, see Switzerland being dark green? yeah? that's obviously not counting the times they sent any girl not adhering to the social norms to the madhouse, or the fact women didn't have the vote until 1971 (in some places it took until 1990).

Because it's only counting how things were in 2011?

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

mcustic posted:

Then you have the so called entities, with Republic of Srpska in the Serb majority part and the Federation in the Bosniak and Croat parts.
e: typos

I've heard that the Bosnian Croats aren't too happy they got talked into the Federation and there's been talk of a "third entity". Is this a representative opinion or mostly a vocal minority / fringe thing?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Because it's only counting how things were in 2011?

Yeah sure, but i am pretty sure that poo poo is still lingering in the minds of certain people.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Bosnia is a joke, run by a foreign dictator. It needs to be split up.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

SaltyJesus posted:

I've heard that the Bosnian Croats aren't too happy they got talked into the Federation and there's been talk of a "third entity". Is this a representative opinion or mostly a vocal minority / fringe thing?

It's an opinion that a majority of Bosnian Croats share with a growing number of Croatians. I think it's a consequence of the total paralysis of the system I mentioned earlier. Unemployment is over 50 percent, there are hungry children living a stone's throw from the EU border, no wonder people want some kind of change.
Personally I support the division of Bosnia into three states. I also think that Serbia should foot the bill for the Serb part, Croatia for the Croat part and the Dutch should take care of the Bosniak part.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Riso posted:

Bosnia is a joke, run by a foreign dictator. It needs to be split up.

Who is the dictator and how does he run Bosnia?

And how should it be split up? Is the solution to the Balkans really more balkanization?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Bloodnose posted:

Who is the dictator and how does he run Bosnia?

And how should it be split up? Is the solution to the Balkans really more balkanization?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Representative_for_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina

It should be split along ethnic lines obviously with the Croatian/Serbian parts going to the respective countries.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And Kosovo to Albania. Of course, none of this is ever going to happen for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Phlegmish posted:

And Kosovo to Albania. Of course, none of this is ever going to happen for obvious reasons.

Maybe we should bomb them?