Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I've seen it sit in a sideboard once.

I may throw Prognostic Sphinxes into the board. Maybe a Pearl Lake Ancient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
That deck would fold to u/b or w/u control decks if someone's smart enough to keep counters up until they see a threat. You definitely need an additional wincon, even if it's just in the board. I had a similar problem with my creatureless mardu walker control deck, where game 1 was a bad matchup. I added a variety of creature based threats to the sideboard to increase threat density and it really helps.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Fantastic FNM, went 4-0 with the Mardude Walker deck I've been itching to play all week:

Deck: Mardu Walkers

//Planeswalkers
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Ajani Steadfast
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1 Liliana Vess
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Thoughtseize
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Hero's Downfall
4 Crackling Doom
3 End Hostilities
2 Utter End
3 Read the Bones

//Land
4 Temple of Silence
3 Caves of Koilos
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Malice
1 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Sideboard
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Hero's Downfall
3 Despise
2 Bile Blight

Display deck statistics

Round 1: Sidisi Whip - the guy was newly back in the game and still assembling standard cards, but he had Caryatids and a Courser or two. Pretty sure it's a version of the whip deck, I saw Sidisi but not the whip, and he was definitely milling himself. Lost a game to what might have been a bad 6-card keep and just not getting past 3 mana or doing anything to change the board, but his removal (I think he had some Murderous Cuts) was dead against me, and I was able to deal with threats like Reaper and Necropolis Fiend before they could do anything.

Round 2: Borrowed UW Heroic - guy's probably the best player in the group, but has been busy with work and a move so doesn't have a post-Khans standard deck, so borrowed a UW deck. Removal and hand disruption got it done for me, Cracking Doom was a nightmare for him. Definitely not the best build of the deck, no Heliod's Pilgrim and a full set of Eidolon of Countless Battles, which we think should be 0-2 of. He did Defiant Strike on my tokens/Brimazz just for gas, it's probably a good match for me even with a more optimised build.

Round 3: Tedious Esper Control - maybe being over-dramatic but he had 2 Pearl Lake Ancient as a win condition, and I think one Elspeth. Some counters, but it was mostly card draw from Jace's Ingenuity and the usual suspects. I was able to hold off the Ancients enough for him to concede the first game, but it was a bit of a worry since I had a slow start and was on 3 land until I topdecked a Read the Bones. But the removal gathered up and I could nobble his threats. Got the second done with some tokens Sorin and Elspeth left behind.

Round 4: Monoblack Aggro - Master of the Feast pretty much gave me cards and little else. I had enough removal to disable Raid to keep Champions away. He played a Haruspex before attacking with a Spiteful Returned, which I think was a mistake, as I would have used Bile Blight on the Returned if he hadn't. He got a few hits on me that life loss from my own cards was a worry, but a Sorin/Sarkhan/Elspeth combo got it game 1, and game 2 I got to keep Liliana down and fix draws for Elspeth, then Sarkhan to sew things up.

Really liking the deck. I'm starting to think I might want a second Liliana for her tutor ability. Ajani never did much, and I would consider another Chandra.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
Silly question from newbie player. Is there anything aside of free minions that prevents Butcher of the Horde from sac'ing multiple per turn? I'm considering something to generate a few tokens to fuel him as he comes out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

SierraNovember posted:

Silly question from newbie player. Is there anything aside of free minions that prevents Butcher of the Horde from sac'ing multiple per turn? I'm considering something to generate a few tokens to fuel him as he comes out.

Nope, you're not even limited to one for each bonus effect, so if someone tries to exile your Bloodsoaked Champion or something it's better to respond by sacing it and giving the Butcher lifelink. If he comes out and you're willing to give up three other creatures it can have haste, vigilance and lifelink that first turn. Of course after that you won't need to give it haste again.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's probably my favourite curve in Mardu: Hordling Outburst, next turn: Butcher, sac 3 goblins, swing. Then if you get your weenies that are no good anymore you can just feed them one by one to the butcher as needed. Really fixes what would otherwise be dead drops.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can you sac a Butcher to itself?

VV Oh it does. Duh.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 22, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Nope. It says Sacrifice another creature.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Fantastic FNM, went 4-0 with the Mardude Walker deck I've been itching to play all week:

//Planeswalkers
1 Ajani Steadfast
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1 Liliana Vess
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Thoughtseize
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Hero's Downfall
4 Crackling Doom
3 End Hostilities
2 Utter End
3 Read the Bones

//Land
4 Temple of Silence
3 Caves of Koilos
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Malice
1 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
4 Nomad Outpost

//Sideboard
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Hero's Downfall
3 Despise
2 Bile Blight

Display deck statistics

Round 1: Sidisi Whip - the guy was newly back in the game and still assembling standard cards, but he had Caryatids and a Courser or two. Pretty sure it's a version of the whip deck, I saw Sidisi but not the whip, and he was definitely milling himself. Lost a game to what might have been a bad 6-card keep and just not getting past 3 mana or doing anything to change the board, but his removal (I think he had some Murderous Cuts) was dead against me, and I was able to deal with threats like Reaper and Necropolis Fiend before they could do anything.

Round 2: Borrowed UW Heroic - guy's probably the best player in the group, but has been busy with work and a move so doesn't have a post-Khans standard deck, so borrowed a UW deck. Removal and hand disruption got it done for me, Cracking Doom was a nightmare for him. Definitely not the best build of the deck, no Heliod's Pilgrim and a full set of Eidolon of Countless Battles, which we think should be 0-2 of. He did Defiant Strike on my tokens/Brimazz just for gas, it's probably a good match for me even with a more optimised build.

Round 3: Tedious Esper Control - maybe being over-dramatic but he had 2 Pearl Lake Ancient as a win condition, and I think one Elspeth. Some counters, but it was mostly card draw from Jace's Ingenuity and the usual suspects. I was able to hold off the Ancients enough for him to concede the first game, but it was a bit of a worry since I had a slow start and was on 3 land until I topdecked a Read the Bones. But the removal gathered up and I could nobble his threats. Got the second done with some tokens Sorin and Elspeth left behind.

Round 4: Monoblack Aggro - Master of the Feast pretty much gave me cards and little else. I had enough removal to disable Raid to keep Champions away. He played a Haruspex before attacking with a Spiteful Returned, which I think was a mistake, as I would have used Bile Blight on the Returned if he hadn't. He got a few hits on me that life loss from my own cards was a worry, but a Sorin/Sarkhan/Elspeth combo got it game 1, and game 2 I got to keep Liliana down and fix draws for Elspeth, then Sarkhan to sew things up.

Really liking the deck. I'm starting to think I might want a second Liliana for her tutor ability. Ajani never did much, and I would consider another Chandra.

This makes me happy :) I didn't make it in time for fnm tonight so i played casuals in between rounds. Beat or went even with everyone exept my buddy playing u/b control, but I anticipate that as a bad matchup. The looks on people's faces when I get multiple walkers out, especially when I'm pooping one out each turn with liliana/chandra, is fantastic.

Third chandra is definitely to be considered. Ajani is probably the weak link, but I had some super gassy games with him today so its hard for me to want to make a cut. Glad you did so well!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This makes me happy :) I didn't make it in time for fnm tonight so i played casuals in between rounds. Beat or went even with everyone exept my buddy playing u/b control, but I anticipate that as a bad matchup. The looks on people's faces when I get multiple walkers out, especially when I'm pooping one out each turn with liliana/chandra, is fantastic.

Third chandra is definitely to be considered. Ajani is probably the weak link, but I had some super gassy games with him today so its hard for me to want to make a cut. Glad you did so well!

I kept drawing Ajani as my first walker, which obviously isn't what you want, so maybe he'll average out better. He's definitely the worst in isolation. Sorin is far better on an empty board than I first thought when I saw it spoiled. It's not even bad having two in hand, you have the option of -2 on the first in succession, play the second. But you need to be careful, as I'm pretty sure if I tried that against that esper deck I wouldn't get the second one out.

Would also like to note that Chandra won me the last game against monoblack, along with some flood on his part. He had a Tormented Hero and Skullhunter in hand and nothing on board, so they were pretty well dead cards. Just to show that some of the walkers are more effective than might be apparent.

Not sure what the UB deck is now, but I expect Disdainful Stroke is in there, and general counterspells with Pearl Lake Ancient to finish? I think it's the match for Brimaz to come in, ducks under Disdainful Stroke and removal besides Downfall is probably gone. Otherwise try to get the extra mana up and run big spells under cover of Thoughtseize. Ashiok seems pretty poor, Perilous Vault could be a problem if they keep removal for sideboard Revoker. Might warrant more artifact killers in the board.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

FNM Report- I went 4-0 too! With Rabble Red (We can still call it that right?), my first time in a while, I contribute to the win because I picked up my brainstorm sleeves today and they may be my good luck charm :getin:

Decklist-

4x Akroan Crusader
4x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Foundry Street Denizen
3x Frenzied Goblin
4x Stoke the Flames
4x Dragon Mantle
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
4x Hammerhand
3x Lightning Strike
4x Monastery Swiftspear
18x Mountain
4x Titan's Strength

Played against 4c Control with Anger of the gods, siege rhino (!!), Elspeths and Altar of the broods (!?), Mono white Aggro (soldier of the pantheon, seeker of the way, roc, brimaz etc), Temur Aggro (Quite similar to Jeff's Hoogland's list) and Mardu Control (He had 4 sign in blood/pain lands/thoughtseizes for days, he killed himself both games).

Got 4 boosters, promo reclamation sage/throne of tarkir/In Garruk's Wake, considering it was a £2.50 or 1 booster entry, it wasn't bad. Opened a flooded strand too, so very happy overall.

I love the deck. When I first started playing I used to play a similar deck with Burning Tree Emissaries and such and it was such good fun. This deck has a LOT of decisions and learning how to not overextend and used your mana effectively is pretty much key, if you play sloppily with the deck (found this out while messing around with casual games) you are going to get your rear end handed to you by bigger decks.

My least favourite card is Firedrinker Satyr as though it is a 2/1 for 1, is definitely a liability and would prefer a better 1 drop, satyr hoplite is an option but will stick with him for now.

Samael fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 22, 2014

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

2-2 with that grixis control list. Pretty much everything we thought was wrong with it went wrong. Wins against a pre constructed deck and a W/R deck of some sort, losses against mono white heroic and u/w heroic.

Heroic matches were hell, too many answers to the answers. I'm thinking Whelming Wave may be what the deck needs in the four slot to screw up that style of deck. My Mardu deck would have rolled this.

I ran my villainous devotion deck against the U/W deck and steamrolled it fairly hard thanks to Kiora negating the voltron effect then ultimating. I hit the guy with a wealth for 7 and got six land and the white eidolon.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

//Planeswalkers
1 Ajani Steadfast
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1 Liliana Vess
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
4 Thoughtseize
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Hero's Downfall
4 Crackling Doom
3 End Hostilities
2 Utter End
3 Read the Bones

//Land
4 Temple of Silence
3 Caves of Koilos
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Malice
1 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
4 Nomad Outpost

//Sideboard
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Hero's Downfall
3 Despise
2 Bile Blight

Display deck statistics

This deck is cool as hell, thanks for the write-up! I abandoned my Mardu control after feeling like it wasn't matching up too well versus the growing number of blue decks (Jeskai + UB control) in favour of U/W control, but I love this walker-centric list and now that Jeskai has waned I might have to pick it up again. What's your opinion on Lightning Strike vs. Chained to the Rocks here? I'd choose the Strikes as well since they're instant and more castable, but all the Mardu Midrange decks I've seen are making it work and in a tap-out list like this, it's appealing to me to drop a walker + removal that much easier.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone playing Temur? I finally played some standard last night with Temur (tempo?) and had a pretty solid run. I did have a fair amount of trouble against Rhinos. Anyone have any insight?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Soothing Cacophony posted:

This deck is cool as hell, thanks for the write-up! I abandoned my Mardu control after feeling like it wasn't matching up too well versus the growing number of blue decks (Jeskai + UB control) in favour of U/W control, but I love this walker-centric list and now that Jeskai has waned I might have to pick it up again. What's your opinion on Lightning Strike vs. Chained to the Rocks here? I'd choose the Strikes as well since they're instant and more castable, but all the Mardu Midrange decks I've seen are making it work and in a tap-out list like this, it's appealing to me to drop a walker + removal that much easier.

Are you that confident you can get a Mountain out in the early game with just the 2 and the Mires? I wouldn't risk it.

This Mardu list looks very interesting, I've got all of it besides the Sorins and a couple Crackling Dooms. I would love to play it next week at my FNM.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

Anyone playing Temur? I finally played some standard last night with Temur (tempo?) and had a pretty solid run. I did have a fair amount of trouble against Rhinos. Anyone have any insight?

I've been playing Temur Tempo. Its about sticking something on the field and denying them anything. Post-Board is a much easier game with Disdainful Stroke and Hunt the Hunter.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

Are you that confident you can get a Mountain out in the early game with just the 2 and the Mires? I wouldn't risk it.

This Mardu list looks very interesting, I've got all of it besides the Sorins and a couple Crackling Dooms. I would love to play it next week at my FNM.

I absolutely wouldn't use chains over lightning strikes in the current lists we've been posting about. I've used strikes to close out a few games, plus it has uses against walkers (namely killing a xenagos). Three damage is super relevant right now, way more so than two, which is why I wouldn't use magma jets either.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Deckit posted:

I've been playing Temur Tempo. Its about sticking something on the field and denying them anything. Post-Board is a much easier game with Disdainful Stroke and Hunt the Hunter.

Do you have a list that you are running?
I've played a couple of FNM with RDW, and now looking to move to something a little different. People are starting to twig what I'm playing! If I can get a second deck running, I can switch week to week and keep people guessing.

I have the pieces for Temur (minus Sarkhan's and a few lands) and the same could be said for Sultai (but without DTT, Courser and a few lands).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I absolutely wouldn't use chains over lightning strikes in the current lists we've been posting about. I've used strikes to close out a few games, plus it has uses against walkers (namely killing a xenagos). Three damage is super relevant right now, way more so than two, which is why I wouldn't use magma jets either.

I would probably look at Bile Blights before Chained, and only after taking a full set of Strikes. I would also have to change the land to take more basic Mountains, six counting the fetches isn't enough to my mind. With the embarrassment of instant burn and removal open to the deck, I don't fancy it, and in a 3-colour list in this environment it can be difficult to satisfy the conditions. If I have a mana spare after the cost of casting a walker, I think I'd rather check the coast is clear with Thoughtseize.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Somebody posted this deck in the comments of Frank Lepore's most recent article and it seems so bad and so awful and unable to win that I don't think I'm going to be able to resist spending the 10 tickets or whatever it'll cost me to get the missing parts on MTGO:

4 Akroan Horse
4 Altar of the Brood
3 Grindclock
4 Profane Memento
3 Pyxis of Pandemonium

4 Banishing Light
4 Font of Vigor
4 Dictate of Kruphix
3 Aetherspouts
3 Whelming Wave

4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Tranquil Cove
4 Radiant Fountain
6 Island
6 Plains

SB:
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Clever Impersonator
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Cranial Archive
4 Dissipate
2 Dissolve

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

After playing mono red aggro for a couple of FNMs, I have been brewing mardu aggro in between time for the next rounds and I really like how it works, but the mana base is still a little sketchy and I know I need help with fine tuning/sideboard options, here is the list-

4x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Bloodsoaked Champion
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
3x Butcher of the Horde
4x Mardu Ascendancy
4x Crackling Doom
4x Stoke the Flames
4x Lightning Strike
3x Sorin, Solemn Visitor
4x Battlefield Forge
4x Caves of Koilos
4x Mana Confluence
4x Bloodstained Mire
2x Mountain
2x Swamp
2x Plains

Samael fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 29, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Boco_T posted:

Somebody posted this deck in the comments of Frank Lepore's most recent article and it seems so bad and so awful and unable to win that I don't think I'm going to be able to resist spending the 10 tickets or whatever it'll cost me to get the missing parts on MTGO:

4 Akroan Horse
4 Altar of the Brood
3 Grindclock
4 Profane Memento
3 Pyxis of Pandemonium

4 Banishing Light
4 Font of Vigor
4 Dictate of Kruphix
3 Aetherspouts
3 Whelming Wave

4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Tranquil Cove
4 Radiant Fountain
6 Island
6 Plains

SB:
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Clever Impersonator
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Cranial Archive
4 Dissipate
2 Dissolve

Do enjoy your boss sligh and heroic matchups

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Grindclock is the closest thing it has to a win condition, why does it only run 3

YoshiStomper
May 13, 2011

The reject.
I know it'll never be anything more than garbage-tier, but is there anything I can do to this deck to make it more competitive?

Deck: mono white

//Land
18 Plains
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

//Creatures
3 Soldier of the Pantheon
3 Favored Hoplite
3 Hopeful Eidolon
3 Phalanx Leader
3 Archetype of Courage
3 Hero of Iroas
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
1 Soul of Theros

//Spells
3 Gods Willing
3 Feat of Resistance
2 Devouring Light
2 Spectra Ward
3 Ajani's Presence
2 Spear of Heliod

//Planeswalkers
1 Ajani Steadfast

//Sideboard
3 Erase
3 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Reprisal
3 Hushwing Gryff
3 Mass Calcify

Display deck statistics

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Preeminent Captain seems good there. Looks like you've got a decent number of soldiers.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Samael posted:

After playing mono red aggro for a couple of FNMs, I have been brewing mardu aggro in between time for the next rounds and I really like how it works, but the mana base is still a little sketchy and I know I need help with fine tuning/sideboard options, here is the list-

4x Soldier of the Pantheon
4x Bloodsoaked Champion
4x Goblin Rabblemaster
3x Butcher of the Horde
4x Mardu Ascendancy
4x Crackling Doom
4x Stoke the Flames
4x Lightning Strike
3x Sorin, Solemn Visitor
4x Battlefield Forge
4x Caves of Koilos
4x Mana Confluence
4x Bloodstained Mire
2x Mountain
2x Swamp
2x Plains

I used to run a very similar list and found that running 12 monocolored 1-drops with painlands didn't really pay off, even if I was able to get Sorin online for lifelink. You do so much damage to yourself that siege rhino becomes even worse than it already was and you reduce the amount of burn that jeskai needs to kill you.

This is the list I've been playing for the last couple weeks, it's the Mardu Aggro deck that took 2nd place at the SCG open in Columbus and it's a ton of fun to play.

If you want to play this with minimal changes though, I'd ditch the Soldiers of the pantheon, throw in an Urborg and shift it to be heavier more black or read versus the almost even distribution of all three colors that you have now. I'd also cut Mardu Ascendancy since Rabblemaster is the 3-drop that you really want to be playing on turn 3, and is less taxing on both your life total and mana.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Is there a reason you're not running 4 of anything? Streamlining your deck with more high quality cards and less filler seems like step no. 1.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Still not played much with this yet, might go a little further for a standard FNM on Friday, but I just got a second Liliana (which annoyingly doesn't match the Duel Deck one I already have) which I think might go well given how potent a fixed draw can be, along with how it works with Chandra. Also considering switching painlands for more Scry Temples, I think the scry is worth the ETBT given I barely play spells before T3, and they make 2-land hands much more playable.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I am debating building this since I have most of it and what I don't have is fairly cheap. I haven't been to FNM in some time so I can't really comment on the meta, but in general does this seem playable enough? I've been playtesting it a bit on tappedout but I figure I can use all the input I can get.

Deck: Budget Sidisi Whip

//Lands
4 Forest
2 Island
3 Llanowar Wastes
4 Opulent Palace
2 Swamp
4 Temple of Malady
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
3 Hero's Downfall
4 Murderous Cut
3 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
2 Doomwake Giant
3 Elvish Mystic
3 Hornet Queen
4 Nighthowler
3 Nyx Weaver
4 Satyr Wayfinder
4 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
1 Soul of Innistrad
4 Sylvan Caryatid

Display deck statistics

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Now that I've had my fun with Empty the Pits, I've retooled MarduKing into this:

Deck: MARDUKING

//Lands
3 Bloodstained Mire
1 Mana Confluence
4 Mountain
2 Nomad Outpost
3 Plains
5 Swamp
2 Temple of Silence
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Spells
3 Crackling Doom
2 Hero's Downfall
4 Lightning Strike
3 Mardu Charm
2 Murderous Cut
4 Raise the Alarm

//Creatures
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Seeker of the Way
3 Tymaret, the Murder King

//Sideboard
3 Thoughtseize
3 Erase
1 Hero's Downfall
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 Utter End
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
1 Murderous Cut

Display deck statistics

Obviously short a Crackling Doom and I have no Butcher of the Horde to slot in anywhere. Thoughts?

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Two Urborg might be awkward without ways to fling an excess land like Tormenting Voice. but I'm bad at mana bases. With 18 sources of Warriors (All the creatures plus Mardu Charm), what about Raiders' Spoils? Anthem and card draw, and immediate impact vs Purphorous. Other than that, the deck is brilliant and I love it.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Definitely like the idea of a real anthem to go with all those tokens rather than purphoros who is only mediocre once the tokens are already down. Raider's spoils is the tits especially with Seeker of the way but I don't know if it's worth a 4play spot with that aggressive manabase.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Don't forget, Purphoros has additional text besides "Shock each opponent". He may not do anything the turn he comes down, but he pumps your whole team for cheap.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

Don't forget, Purphoros has additional text besides "Shock each opponent". He may not do anything the turn he comes down, but he pumps your whole team for cheap.

Agreed, I wouldn't drop the Big Guy as he's another anthem too. I've just had personal success with a single Spoils in my own MARDUKING list which is why I've suggested it.

Related, I've been panicking about my matchup vs Sidisi Whip. Well, Whip of Erebos, really. As is, the sideboard is:

4 Despise
3 Thoughtseize
1 Crackling Doom
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 End Hostilities
1 Mardu Ascendancy
2 Utter End
1 Raiders' Spoils

Am I packing too much discard? I really value 4 Despise against Abzan/Mono-Red/Mono-Black/creatures.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I took my own copy of the Mardu Walkers ist to FNM today. Went 2-1, so I was pleased with my performance. The maindeck is the same but instead of Revokers in the sideboard I put in 2 of the JOU guy that gives you Hexproof. There is no Azban at my store, but alot of Mardu and Jeskai Burn/Doom decks. Putting him in there makes them waste a spell on him instead of my PWs/me, saving me precious turns to stabiize with a Sorin.

Round 1 I faced the Grixis Riddle of Lightning/Delve combo-y deck. Beat me game one with Digs on the top before I could turn it around. Games 2&3 were not close, as I could Seize/Chandra draw my way out.

Round 2 was Temur Monsters. Lost both games. Game 1 was super explosive and Game 2 I ran out of cards needing 2 turns to draw anything against a Polukranos and never got it.

Round 3 was Mardu Aggro. Game 1 I could Anger of the gods out of his attack and got Sorin/Sarkhan out to stabilize. Game 2 was me stabilizing with a Chandra and then Dooming him to death. In Rounds 1 & 3 both people sided in Dictate of the Twin Gods, which is very popular here (slow-roll a lightning strike or two after you pop that out, and the game ends quickly.)

I really like the deck. The only thing I am not sure of is Read the Bones, but I was playing against aggro decks. Maybe Act on Impluse could work for card draw?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

I really like the deck. The only thing I am not sure of is Read the Bones, but I was playing against aggro decks. Maybe Act on Impluse could work for card draw?

I think read the bones is the right card, but I do board it out vs aggro/jeskai burn decks. Act of impulse is only better much later in the game, and in a lot of matchups the filtering from RtB is pretty important.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Don't like it, Bones is playable T3 in a deck that often does nothing until that point, Impulse needs to leave free mana or the turn's land drop. Bones can also dig deeper and creates lasting card advantage. Against aggro I'm probably switching them for Bile Blights and Rams.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Frozen_flame posted:

Two Urborg might be awkward without ways to fling an excess land like Tormenting Voice. but I'm bad at mana bases. With 18 sources of Warriors (All the creatures plus Mardu Charm), what about Raiders' Spoils? Anthem and card draw, and immediate impact vs Purphorous. Other than that, the deck is brilliant and I love it.

Spoils may actually be a good candidate to replace the Purphoros in the sideboard.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Spoils may actually be a good candidate to replace the Purphoros in the sideboard.

Looking back, definitely. When would you bring in God number 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Sideboard was partially a toss together, but I was expecting to need the fourth against things running banishing light.

• Locked thread