Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fruity Tree posted:

I'm so glad Whitehall dropped his German accent in his assimilation period after prison. It's nice to see realistic character development on a linguistic level instead of shoving him into the stereotypical Nazi villain corner forever. Language-wise, that is. Otherwise he's still pretty deep in the stereotypical Nazi villain corner. Ohwell.

Baron Von Strucker in the Captain America 2 midcredits scene still have an accent, but I think he's in Europe most of the time so maybe that's excusable. I don't know about the monocle, though.

Quasipox posted:

What's next? You want the man to drop his funny little salute? Or his appreciation for fine, leather uniforms?

Now that I think about it, no Hydra agent does that double fist heil salute anymore after the first Captain America movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Tree
Aug 14, 2010

Quasipox posted:

What's next? You want the man to drop his funny little salute? Or his appreciation for fine, leather uniforms?

These marginalities will never truly define him. Only his tiny double-monocle Harry-Potter-style glasses can!

Aside from that, the poor guy has got no real background story (yet) and still wants to destroy the world because destroying the world is Nazi-esque.

The MSJ posted:

Baron Von Strucker in the Captain America 2 midcredits scene still have an accent, but I think he's in Europe most of the time so maybe that's excusable. I don't know about the monocle, though.

Here in Europe, we all wear monocles! They've replaced the backward concept of contact lenses.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The MSJ posted:

Now that I think about it, no Hydra agent does that double fist heil salute anymore after the first Captain America movie.

Aside from Kaminski, the over-enthusiactic Hydra goon, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eXPALyvyyI

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Aside from Kaminski, the over-enthusiactic Hydra goon, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eXPALyvyyI

I hope he's still alive

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Wasn't he the goon with the berserker staff that May curbstomped at the start of the season 1 finale?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Not sure if it has been posted here already, but S.H.I.E.L.D. season one is on Netflix now. They foreshadow Ward a bit in the very first episode. I also forgot about the "a little poop, with daggers in it" joke.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kruller posted:

Not sure if it has been posted here already, but S.H.I.E.L.D. season one is on Netflix now. They foreshadow Ward a bit in the very first episode. I also forgot about the "a little poop, with daggers in it" joke.

What foreshadowing did they do there?

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

greatn posted:

What foreshadowing did they do there?

His personality problems. 'Best marks since Romanov, but poop with daggers at people skills!' Turns out, they were understated by a few orders of magnitude. There's actually a lot of subtle hints throughout the season, you just have to sit through the episodes to see them. My favorite was just before the reveal, where he's fighting the SHIELD guys in the hall and he's getting the poo poo kicked out of him. There's a nice shot of the knife on the floor and then the insane grin on his face as he sees it. Then he hurries Skye past the bodies so she doesn't notice they've all been stabbed to death.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The biggest hint was when he threw away Fitz's sandwich because that's when I knew he was a monster worse than Thanos himself.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Gavok posted:

The biggest hint was when he threw away Fitz's sandwich because that's when I knew he was a monster worse than Thanos himself.

When Fitz tried to kill him by suffocation, I expected that to come up.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Wait!
Ward is a middle aged, white, male sociopath with a tragic backstory, who kills countless people, thinks of himself as the hero and has a weird misson focused mentality.

He is a video game protagonist!

Just think about it. He does reckless things like juming out of a flying plane to catch Fitz, or singlehandedly defeating a bunch of enemies. He gets ordered around by a mentor character without really thinking why he advances the plot this way. The first thing he does in the show is make a stupid quip. Now that his mentor is dead, he is on a weird redemption arc which only happens in his head. And the only way you can root for him is by surrounding him with literal nazis, to look good in comparison.

Dogshooting 101 was the tutorial level, where he learned to fend for himself.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's specifically a Ubisoft video game protagonist.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Assassin Dogs: The Grant Adventure

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 22, 2014

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Air is lava! posted:

Wait!
Ward is a middle aged, white, male sociopath with a tragic backstory, who kills countless people, thinks of himself as the hero and has a weird misson focused mentality.

Just think about it. He does reckless things like juming out of a flying plane to catch Fitz, or singlehandedly defeating a bunch of enemies. He gets ordered around by a mentor character without really thinking why he advances the plot this way. The first thing he does in the show is make a stupid quip. Now that his mentor is dead, he is on a weird redemption arc which only happens in his head. And the only way you can root for him is by surrounding him with literal nazis, to look good in comparison.

...and it's right up the Whedon clan's alley, too.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

He jumped to save Simmons, not Fitz.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's a Splinter Cell who is an Assassin and infatuated with a watch_dog.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

greatn posted:

He's a Splinter Cell who is an Assassin and infatuated with a watch_dog.

No, I think he shot_dog.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The weirdest part of that interpretation is his betrayal.
In his mind he just advanced the plot by doing his objectives. Then suddenly every one turned on HIM. He is even willing to forgive Coulson, the murderer of his mentor, but that demon wants to hand him over to be executed by the person he feared the most. Luckily he managed to break free and after a sneaking mission where he had to shake his pursuers, he did a little sidequest, before starting the emotional boss battle against his brother.

Seeing the whole story from Wards deranged point of view is kind of fun. He doesn't seem to feel any regret for his betrayal. So I'm starting to doubt that he even realises that he did anything wrong. "Oh you didn't like that? I didn't know. I'm sorry Skye but it was my mission so I had no choice."

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 22, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Air is lava! posted:

Wait!

Makes sense why some people can't seem to grasp that have that weird Ward blindspot, they're used to characters like him being the hero.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's been eighty pages and no one has coined the term "The Skyefather" yet. I too am at blame.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BrianWilly posted:

It's been eighty pages and no one has coined the term "The Skyefather" yet. I too am at blame.

Muad'dad is just too good.

Also, HER NAME IS NOT SKYE!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Error 404 posted:

Muad'dad is just too good.

Unless you never watched that show, and thus have no fucks to give about it.

Error 404 posted:

Also, HER NAME IS NOT SKYE!

Well, until you tell us what it is, SkyeDad, it's Skye. :colbert:

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Air is lava! posted:

Wait!

It would be ridiculously hilarious if the season finale revealed this has all been an elaborate remake of ReBoot, and Ward's been the Player Character in an Avengers tie-in video game ALL ALONG.

Mend and defend, Coulson!

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Well, until you tell us what it is, SkyeDad, it's Skye. :colbert:
It's Mary-Sue Poots :colbert:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Kheldarn posted:

Unless you never watched that show, and thus have no fucks to give about it.

Yeah I dont get the Muad'dad thing at all

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Republican Vampire posted:

It's Mary-Sue Poots :colbert:

Gonna be funny if that's true.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BlueBayou posted:

He was Paul Atreides aka Muad'Dib in the 80s Dune movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BlueBayou posted:

It's from a not very good movie based on a not very good book.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Aphrodite posted:

It's from a not very good movie based on a not very good book.

The book is a classic :colbert: but I'm with you on the movie.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Why isn't it Mudad'dib, then?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just know him as the mayor of Portland and the guy who fucks Elizabeth Berkeley really hard in Showgirls.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Phylodox posted:

Why isn't it Mudad'dib, then?
Well then that'd just be stupid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's half the cast of Showgirls.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I'm just wondering how the majority of you haven't seen Twin Peaks.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I've seen neither Twin Peaks nor Dune. I too mostly know him as the mayor of Portland.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ToastyPotato posted:

I've seen neither Twin Peaks nor Dune. I too mostly know him as the mayor of Portland.

I know him best as Trey from sex and the city. :shrug:

I keep meaning to watch Twin Peaks so much but my g/f always vetoes it with something else.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Twin Peaks was cool right up until the end...halfway through the second season.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I know him as The Captain from How I Met Your Mother. Man has crazy eyes. :stare:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BSam posted:

I have, I just brought up Dune because:
a. it's what the joke name was referencing
b. it's fractionally more well known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BSam posted:

Dude, I saw Twin Peaks live on air. But that was twenty three years ago. There are people posting here who weren't born yet. We should cut them some slack for not going back to watch a, let's be honest, ambitious but flawed show from before their birth.

Just like I've never bothered to go back and watch Dark Shadows, and ambitious but flawed show that aired before my birth!

• Locked thread