Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

tip shat

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Friends, Debianites, developers, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Ian, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Ian. The noble Bdale
Hath told you Ian was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault;
And grievously hath Ian answer'd it.
Here, under leave of Bdale and the rest, —
For Bdale is an honorable man;
So are they all, all honorable men, —
Come I to speak of Ian's stepping down.
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Bdale says he was ambitious;
And Bdale is an honorable man.

-- Init Freedom

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Shaggar posted:

for ipads/iphones there are management tools so you can lock down their devices if they're on your network and since they're closed source you can trust them. w/ android or just a regular old laptop you aren't gonna be able to lock them down so your choice are don't allow them or let them be used as thin clients that access ur network thru a vpn and remote desktop/app virtualization
https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/190930?hl=en
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.enterprise.dmagent&hl=en

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
no open source will enter this building!! not on my watch!!

- shaggar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

you cant trust any of that

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
welp

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
the one dude in our DevOps group who runs Linux as his os on a system76 hidpi laptop has given it up immediately when offered a retina mbp

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pram posted:

r u telling me we could have the worlds most advanced filesystem in the kernel if it wasnt for loving stallman

more like sun deliberately choosing CDDL to protect solaris

i want a fs with transactions and featherstitch :(((((

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
why do you need that poo poo in the filesystem

end to end principle bro

the fs should be transactional with respect to its own metadata, everything else is an application-level problem

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
If I understand this thread correctly, support for zfs in kernel space is the only thing keeping Linux from breaking through to 1.5% of desktops?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh i think i understand what docker is for now

it's a containment system for fuckup ruby developers

(trying to install gitlab at the moment, it is a fun time)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just use coreos

pram
Jun 10, 2001
also docker owns. a lot of people think its just vanilla vms so they get pissed when it doesnt work how they expect

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sure lemme just go ahead and install 50 copies of all my framework dlls and patch them all separately

and let's have separate database servers that i have to back up separately for each of this thing too

let's just multiply all of my system administration by the number of applications i'm running and run every single version of every single flavour of linux for each of the precious snowflake ruby developers who wrote the poo poo i'm running

seriously is there something like gitlab but written by people who have heard of the fhs and understand why it's a good idea? and who have also heard of concepts like "versioning"? tia

pram
Jun 10, 2001
try gogs, its a gitlab written in Gods own language Go

http://gogs.io/

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

sure lemme just go ahead and install 50 copies of all my framework dlls and patch them all separately

and let's have separate database servers that i have to back up separately for each of this thing too

let's just multiply all of my system administration by the number of applications i'm running and run every single version of every single flavour of linux for each of the precious snowflake ruby developers who wrote the poo poo i'm running

How is this a problem unless you a retard and admin things by hand?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pram posted:

that looks pretty cool

though it doesn't have an integrated wiki and issue tracker (yet?)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

that looks pretty cool

so like all golang things, including the language itself, they implemented the easiest 40% of the problem

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

more like sun deliberately choosing CDDL to protect solaris

cddl was about patents

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

that looks pretty cool

thats the beauty of open source projects mr. dog. just pull up vim and get a pull request going

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i am amused that http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/ is a thing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

im the useless d

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that FAQ is so dark

so edgy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
use less d

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
linked from that page:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/nosh.html

looks like another response to systemd that's heavy on code and light on whining. it actually looks a lot like that "wouldn't be nice if" fractured systemd i sketched out earlier, i'll have to look at it in more detail

i don't necessarily think systemd is some bastion of perfection, i just think it's a gently caress of a lot better than anything else going at the moment. the fact that systemd has been adopted by debian in spite of all the political bickering seems to have kicked some actual competing development efforts into gear.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Cos no-one made an init system until Poettering, then everyone copied him.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
self signed ssl certificate

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

pram posted:

cool

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so like all golang things, including the language itself, they implemented the easiest 40% of the problem

what's wrong with go

pram
Jun 10, 2001
he doesnt know hes just a contrarian retard

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
is there like a good summary anywhere of why systemd is the way it is? i mean i don't really give a rat's rear end what init system ends up winning but i can at least understand why some people might be a little worried about it being PID 1

also learning about init systems seems like a totally good and fruitful use of my time :classiclol:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Avenging Dentist posted:

is there like a good summary anywhere of why systemd is the way it is? i mean i don't really give a rat's rear end what init system ends up winning but i can at least understand why some people might be a little worried about it being PID 1

also learning about init systems seems like a totally good and fruitful use of my time :classiclol:

Systemd won.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Avenging Dentist posted:

read lennart's master post on the subject

my tldr understanding:
- a key goal is to manage dependencies among services
- this management requires direct, reliable information about each service's process status
- the linux kernel provides that information to pid 1 by default
- there are also ways to provide it to a different process (i.e. process grouping and subreaping) but using these merely displaces the work to be done, and all the potential hazards, without otherwise changing them

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 23, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

is there like a good summary anywhere of why systemd is the way it is?

It is the way it is because that's the way it was written. Anything more specific?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its written that way because its emulating how services are handled on far more advanced systems (launchd on osx)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

read lennart's master post on the subject

my tldr understanding:
- a key goal is to manage dependencies among services
- this management requires direct, reliable information about each service's process status
- the linux kernel provides that information to pid 1 by default
- there are also ways to provide it to a different process (i.e. process grouping and subreaping) but using these merely displaces the work to be done, and all the potential hazards, without otherwise changing them

There's also the fiddly little things (set the hostname, set the locale, load the keyboard map, set the machine UUID, etc.) that init takes care of after the initramfs mounts the root file system and starts init and before init can start the system proper. In sysvinit this was handled by a gigantic tangled mess of a shell script custom written for each distribution; systemd came along and looked at what each distribution was doing, chose the least retarded method (typically whatever Debian was doing because they tended towards the least idiotic), standardized on that, and then supplied little C language tools to do that thing, with full backward compatibility for each distribution that was involved in systemd development.

A part of managing system services is keeping track of their event logs, and the standard syslog interface is an unstructured flat text file that programs can fill with any lies they feel like (including basic things like the program name). This makes simple tasks like quickly answering "What were the last 10 log messages from service $X" pointlessly difficult, so the journal was introduced to bring Linux logging kicking and screaming into the 1990s. Log entries are indexed and structured and include trustworthy metadata supplied by the journal daemon itself about the application doing the logging in addition to whatever log messages the application supplied itself. The indexing requires a binary file format, which beardos hate because they can't read it using less, although for some reason the fact they can't read ext4 using less either still doesn't bother them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Suspicious Dish posted:

It is the way it is because that's the way it was written. Anything more specific?

lennart's bigass post (which i haven't read yet but thx for the link) probably answers my question, but i was mainly wondering about why it needed to be pid 1 in particular, since i would have naively assumed that putting everything in pid 1 would have problems (e.g. if systemd crashed or if you tried to update systemd, which i expect would happen a lot more often than a minimalist pid 1)

i mean surely there was some logic to why XYZ got moved into systemd and that's what i wanna read about. hopefully the link will explain that