Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

I was playing the Dr Fetus challenge, and came up to a room with a narrow walkway and a red poop right next to all 4 doors. I was at 2 hearts and I didnt have any room to shoot a bomb to kill the poop. I was lucky that I had dropped a Hanged Man card a few rooms before, but that was very nearly a run ender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can already move the minimap.
Someone tell me how to do this. I know you can expand it with tab but I don't see an option to move it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That does move it. :v:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Pyromaniac is such an amazingly good item. It almost feels like cheating.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Pyromaniac is such an amazingly good item. It almost feels like cheating.

It's powerful, but situational. It doesn't heal you if you've been getting mostly soul hearts and selling away your heart containers, and you'll rarely hurt yourself with explosives unless you have Dr Fetus or Ipecac. It also procs when Mom or Satan stomps on you, but honestly those fights aren't all that hard anyway. Being basically completely immune to Satan's third form is good fun, though.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja

Highest Cactus posted:

I was playing the Dr Fetus challenge, and came up to a room with a narrow walkway and a red poop right next to all 4 doors. I was at 2 hearts and I didnt have any room to shoot a bomb to kill the poop. I was lucky that I had dropped a Hanged Man card a few rooms before, but that was very nearly a run ender.

Those rooms can suck a fat one, because if your character model is too big, and you are just running through rooms to get poo poo done, you will almost always take a hit.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Slime posted:

It's powerful, but situational. It doesn't heal you if you've been getting mostly soul hearts and selling away your heart containers, and you'll rarely hurt yourself with explosives unless you have Dr Fetus or Ipecac. It also procs when Mom or Satan stomps on you, but honestly those fights aren't all that hard anyway. Being basically completely immune to Satan's third form is good fun, though.

Getting it when you have 30-99 bombs is cheating. You just heal yourself to full whenever you want, including abusing heart machines/devil beggars.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Getting it when you have 30-99 bombs is cheating. You just heal yourself to full whenever you want, including abusing heart machines/devil beggars.

And that's why it's situational. You need to get lots of explosives, pyromania, and you need to have not given your heart containers to good old Stan. It's just like shops. They have some good stuff in them, but to get them you need to get the good stuff to appear, have the money to buy the stuff, and have a spare key to open the shop.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Got Lord of the Flies & Guppy transformation on the same run. And then I got Monstro's Lung which combined with my very high damage/tear stats was just ridiculous, and then I got Spoon Bender one room away from the Lamb...which didn't matter much because my flies ate him alive in a second.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Slime posted:

It also procs when Mom or Satan stomps on you, but honestly those fights aren't all that hard anyway. Being basically completely immune to Satan's third form is good fun, though.

It procs on a lot more things than you'd think. Any enemy bullet that explodes, it procs obviously. But this gets increasingly more common the later in the game you go.

The ground pound thing some enemies do where it sends bits of the grounds out in shockwave, that procs it. Incredibly fast proc'ing too. I think it's good and not really that situational since even failing everything else, having an item that just flat out prevents damage from a decent chunk of sources is a good drat item.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The lost starting with the holy mantle would be a good balance fix. It would increase the number of viable runs exponentially, allow you to use curse rooms, and also any other items that depend on taking damage without taking too much away from the main drawback of the lost. It fits thematically as well.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
So today I learned not to stack Ipecac, Monstro's Lung, Rubbet Cement, and Cricket's Body without Pyromania.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I feel like a more "in-the-spirit-of-Edmund's-vision" solution to the "people scumming for Holy Mantle or 9 Lives with The Lost" problem would be to make those items not work with The Lost at all. :v: That or a repeat of the Eden Tokens mechanic. Maybe you need to defeat Mega Satan for a Lost Token? :v: That'd at least give Mega Satan more of a purpose.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I feel like a more "in-the-spirit-of-Edmund's-vision" solution to the "people scumming for Holy Mantle or 9 Lives with The Lost" problem would be to make those items not work with The Lost at all. :v: That or a repeat of the Eden Tokens mechanic. Maybe you need to defeat Mega Satan for a Lost Token? :v: That'd at least give Mega Satan more of a purpose.

these are all terrible ideas

That said, I agree that Mega Satan needs something because as it stands all he unlocks is one of those ending videos and that is it. Kinda lame.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think the Eden Tokens could have been done better since its so easy to get a start that there is no point continuing on. Due to randomness Eden can be one of the characters that you will want to reload with the most unless you are hella determined to win no matter what. Which can be fun of course but if I start with 1 heart and 1 speed my will to continue is not strong. Plus if you are playing a lot and going for unlocks like me and the other crazy people in this thread then you'll essentially have an unlimited amount of them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I think the Eden Tokens could have been done better since its so easy to get a start that there is no point continuing on so Eden can be one of the characters that you will want to reload with the most unless you are hella determined to win no matter what. Which can be fun of course but if I start with 1 heart and 1 speed my will to continue is not strong. Plus if you are playing a lot and going for unlocks like me and the other crazy people in this thread then you'll essentially have an unlimited amount of them.

The problem with Eden is that the majority of times I've played as Eden my start has been utter garbage. Like, one in all stats and starting with the kamikaze was merely slightly worse than normal.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That's what's so good about it; Eden's the only character I'll actually play a bad/mediocre run with 'cause I don't want to waste the token. I hope they don't change it.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
So I just beat Mega Satan with Cain. I got nothing? No achievement or item?
Is it bugged or what?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Simple Simon posted:

So I just beat Mega Satan with Cain. I got nothing? No achievement or item?
Is it bugged or what?

Mega Satan doesn't reward you with anything except an ending, he's the Secret Super Bonus Final RPG Boss of this game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Mega Satan only gives you the last ending, no unlocks.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
Oh thank god. Thought I hosed up by not beating ??? first.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why does Pin always die at like 10% health?

e: whoa just got attacked by 4 pin after posting this, and the four of them didn't die until the health bar was all the way to one sliver of red. Must be a bug with solo Pin.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 23, 2014

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
I just screwed up a Dead Cat+Death's Touch+Proptosis run the with The Lost. :saddowns:

My solution for The Lost is to make all HP Up items give him a life, instead of a heart. It would still be hard, but it would give him an easier access to the slight leeway people depend on the Holy Mantle and Dead Cat for.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress you gently caress you oh my god I'm so frustrated at this video game. It popped up directly beneath me and gave me no chance to dodge it. I seriously could have won so easily with this loadout.

edit: It feels kinda good to be killed by something that is objectively not my fault for once though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 23, 2014

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations
Well just had an Eden brimstone + guppy + tammy's head run. That went fast.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Guess which four. :v:

Time to start trying to abuse the D6.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Make Eden the reward for killing Mega Satan, remove the concept of Eden tokens entirely. Two birds, one stone.

Koramei posted:

That's what's so good about it; Eden's the only character I'll actually play a bad/mediocre run with 'cause I don't want to waste the token. I hope they don't change it.

I reset bad Eden runs way more often than I do any other character. At least with them I'm guaranteed a decent start, whereas Eden can be even worse than ??? and there's just no point. I'm constantly sitting on 30+ tokens since getting past It Lives isn't hard, so the entire concept is meaningless. It changes nothing, just adds an artificial limit that I'll never actually reach.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 23, 2014

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Iny posted:

What would you guys fix if you were patching this game?

- The option to leave the boss room after you defeated mom.

- Make The Haunt do no damage to you while it is still in it's ghostly form.

- Make PHD get rid of the useless pills like 'Are u a wizard', Paralysis and Amnesia

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I have to question the randomness of the RNG sometimes. Just restarted 3 games in a row because I kept getting XL Cellar at the start.

Normally I wouldn't restart, but with 2 item rooms and a D6 you'd think I'd be able to get at least one good item. First game, Magic Fingers & Bum Friend. Reroll Bum Friend into My Reflection. End up restarting just due to the annoying nature of the floor itself. Get pretty much the same exact floor, rooms and everything on the next one. Next run, I get Roid Rage and Mom's Eye Shadow. Reroll Roid Rage into Little Steven. Ok I guess I can deal with this. On to the bosses. Wooden Spoon and Speed Ball.

In all honesty, this is pretty standard for my Isaac D6 runs. I never seem to get any good items at all despite the fact that I'm rerolling the poo poo ones.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Is there some mechanic behind Angel/Devil rooms staying when you leave to explore the rest of the floor? Sometimes they stay forever, sometimes they disappear as soon as you walk out.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Pwnstar posted:

Is there some mechanic behind Angel/Devil rooms staying when you leave to explore the rest of the floor? Sometimes they stay forever, sometimes they disappear as soon as you walk out.

I think it rolls the appearance chance every time you enter the boss room until it fails. Don't leave the devil room unless you have the goat head.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Can you get anything out of Fiery Mind with Pyromaniac? I just got it while I'm working on a cheesing Bandage Girl/Meat Boy run and have D6/Pyromaniac/Sharp Plug and just need the Epic Fetus/Dr. Fetus/Ipecac/Pyro recharging element to set up the D6 loop.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I reset bad Eden runs way more often than I do any other character. At least with them I'm guaranteed a decent start, whereas Eden can be even worse than ??? and there's just no point. I'm constantly sitting on 30+ tokens since getting past It Lives isn't hard, so the entire concept is meaningless. It changes nothing, just adds an artificial limit that I'll never actually reach.

The concept of Eden Tokens makes total sense, though. If you could play as Eden infinitely for free then you could just restart until you have a superpowered loadout from the beginning and don't tell me you wouldn't do that because absolutely everybody would. There has to be something keeping you from infinitely restarting as Eden and even if you do build up a lot of tokens, you can't just throw away runs forever or you'll run out again.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The concept of Eden Tokens makes total sense, though. If you could play as Eden infinitely for free then you could just restart until you have a superpowered loadout from the beginning and don't tell me you wouldn't do that because absolutely everybody would. There has to be something keeping you from infinitely restarting as Eden and even if you do build up a lot of tokens, you can't just throw away runs forever or you'll run out again.

I restart every character until the starting room is connected to a treasure room with something good inside anyway.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I restart every character until the starting room is connected to a treasure room with something good inside anyway.

Man there's no way to do that on the vita. There's also no way to drop pills/trinkets. I only can use pills by tapping the screen but it won't work if I'm also touching the back screen which makes me think the back screen can be used for something but I can't figure it out. I can't find any control instructions anywhere but I can play on the toilet so I'll make do.

Also no seeds that I get off the internet work.

Also certain sound effects like "whoa, a secret room" or the brimstone hellbarf yell just get disabled and won't happen again.

e: I just picked up the broken remote so until I find a new trinket or figure out the controls this game is pretty unplayable.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 23, 2014

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but starting an Eden run with Soy Milk then getting Dr Fetus first treasure room is :smith: incarnate

Does the shell game just never end as long as you have money if you've already won Skatole previously? I sat in a room for like fifteen minutes with Placenta, Portable IV, Fanny Pack, and seven Luck bars getting an ungodly amount of keys/bombs/coins/hearts, and it never even popped up with the Skatole peek.

Also, Dry Baby and other followers that block shots completely trivialize Isaac/???. Didn't get hit on either fight, it was nuts.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: I bought PhD one the second floor in that run, and my pool ended up being:

- Luck Down (into Up)
- I Found Pills
- Bombs are Key
- Lemon Party
- Tears Up (extremely rare)
- 48 Hour Energy

My Spacebar to start was Kamikaze so 48 Hour Energy was useless until I bought the Pill Bottle later, and even then that combo wasn't nearly as useful as I figured it would be given the drat pill pool. I had a shitload of luck so I ended up with plenty of bombs/keys, but jesus 2/3 of those "good" pills were worthless, and I only got like three Tears Up out of literally ~30 pills. I just wanted a Speed/HP Up or I Can See Forever at least :(

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 23, 2014

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

You're a bitch

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Man there's no way to do that on the vita. There's also no way to drop pills/trinkets. I only can use pills by tapping the screen but it won't work if I'm also touching the back screen which makes me think the back screen can be used for something but I can't figure it out. I can't find any control instructions anywhere but I can play on the toilet so I'll make do.

Also no seeds that I get off the internet work.

Also certain sound effects like "whoa, a secret room" or the brimstone hellbarf yell just get disabled and won't happen again.

e: I just picked up the broken remote so until I find a new trinket or figure out the controls this game is pretty unplayable.

Don't worry I'm on PC and my drop items button doesn't work either.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

You gotta hold the button down for at least a good two seconds or so. If it doesn't work your controller's hosed up or something. (Can't speak for Vita though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Color Printer posted:

You gotta hold the button down for at least a good two seconds or so. If it doesn't work your controller's hosed up or something. (Can't speak for Vita though)

I'm using the keyboard and I could hold it down until the cows come home but it never works for me even after I tried changing what button it is.