Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Marth got nerfed pretty hard in this game, but gently caress it, he's still the best and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

This game is pretty much amazing and online just makes it doubly so. I'm getting the odd laggy match, but there's not much that can be done about laggy people so I don't mind. Now I just need that goddamn adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
What's the best way/Is there a way to farm CDs?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So Wavebirds are actually confirmed to work. Like its been tested by now and isn't just some PR speak by Nintendo of Australia?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Anidav posted:

So Wavebirds are actually confirmed to work. Like its been tested by now and isn't just some PR speak by Nintendo of Australia?

I can confirm that Wavebirds work just fine with the adapter.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Why wouldn't they work?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is there a good way to farm CDs?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
SomethingAwful forums poster Maple Leaf, I'm calling you out

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Duck hunt dog is best character. So much fun to play.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Oh god, I just realized the Amiibos look like trophies from the game.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I got tomorrow off work. Most likely gonna spend it Smashing.

Also, my NNID is rustbukkit.

Asshole Businessman
Aug 8, 2007
I heart Donald Trump.
Initial thoughts:

- Bowser still sucks
- Ness got nerfed hard, as well as Fox
- Fox sounds loving stupid
- Most of the new characters are really awesome
- Most of the old characters play the same and that's ok
- The game still feels floaty and slow like Brawl
- Overall its a cool game but melee and project M are more fun to play

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

rear end in a top hat Businessman posted:

Initial thoughts:

- Bowser still sucks
- Ness got nerfed hard, as well as Fox
- Fox sounds loving stupid
- Most of the new characters are really awesome
- Most of the old characters play the same and that's ok
- The game still feels floaty and slow like Brawl
- Overall its a cool game but melee and project M are still more fun to play

Ness is actually really good, bowser and fox are both fine, this post is from gameFAQS.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
actually bowser rules and nerd fox is dope

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Bowser is amazing, what are you talking about.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I for one am glad the Space Animals finally got hit hard with the nerf bat because I am sick as gently caress of seeing them dominate or at least consistently place super high in Smash games.

On the other hand Olimar got hit really hard too (even with his new crazy good recovery) and that makes me sad.

Asshole Businessman
Aug 8, 2007
I heart Donald Trump.

A cool drat horse posted:

Ness is actually really good, bowser and fox are both fine, this post is from gameFAQS.

Good one.

No Bowser sucks, he's slow and gets knocked around way too much for a supposedly heavy character

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lol this game looks way better than Brawl and will probably form a FGC which will have a healthy 5 year lifespan. Ya'll are forgetting balance patches, that poo poo will keep it alive far more than Brawl and its Wario chain grab, tripping and IKE DESTROYS EVERYTHING AT 30% bullshit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

Bowser is amazing, what are you talking about.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Good one.

No Bowser sucks, he's slow and gets knocked around way too much for a supposedly heavy character

Seriously though all reports are saying Bowser is just as good if not better than he was in Brawl. Same with Ness. There was a bit of a learning curve as people got used to Sm4sh's style but I've personally seen and had my rear end kicked by a lot of good Ness and Bowser players online.

Besides all the Heavy characters are getting knocked around a lot now. Just seems to be part of the physics now.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
lmao at the nerds who wont accept that Ike is the most powerful character in smash bros canon and dont think gameplay should reflect that

Really, though, if Ike is wrecking you at 30% just stop getting hit by his smash attacks. I guarantee you that whoever you are playing has a way to interrupt a forward or up smash. Most characters will interrupt him with their own goddamn FSmashes, even if you start them after Ike starts winding up.

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 23, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Yeah Ike is an extremely easy character to bait and counter.

Good one.

lmao

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Every single match I've had in 1v1 FG has been against Shulk. I guess they're really feeling it!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bowser is actually really good, what are you talking about? Not only is he faster and most of his moves can actually hit things now, pretty everything he's got is useful in some way and like the slowest move he has is the dropkick which is his moneymaker, so of course it is.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Also Ness is really good. What are you smokin?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

TheKingofSprings posted:

SomethingAwful forums poster Maple Leaf, I'm calling you out

Gimme half an hour.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As a Little Mac player, Ness is the loving bane of my existence.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My biggest problem is that there's a lack of stages with interesting structures, like Great Bay/Fourside/Corneria. The huge stages are cool but everything else is thin platforms over a larger platform, with too many that fly around and constantly change. Like, I enjoy Skyloft and New Mario U, but I'd enjoy them lot more if they just picked one of their locations, made it a bit more substantial and settled with that. Level transitions suck because too often you or your opponent will get caught at a bad time and the level will fly away as they're trying to recover or something.

And there's a lot of redundancy/odd choices in what they chose to bring back. Did we need Smashville or Lylat Cruise when we have new stages from those franchises, and the returning ones are really boring?

The Crotch posted:

Pretty sure there is?

_Endgame_ posted:

There is, simply go to controls and put the c stick on "attack" instead of "smash"

You're right! Thanks friends.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Now that I'm seeing it in action, the cross-console parity of the 3DS and Wii U versions feels really weird. You can't edit characters you export between versions. Unlocks and equipment can't carry over. It makes me wonder why they even touted the cross-console parity as a feature.

I probably would have preferred if they'd just let Smash Bros 3DS be more its own game (like they did when porting games like Mario Party and Mario Tennis to handhelds) and let each be the best game it can be. Ice Climbers being cut because the 3DS couldn't handle them is just depressing now because it would barely impact either game to have console-exclusive characters.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ice Climbers probably still would've been cut over 8-player Smash, RIP bad gimmick character no one will miss.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
Is the level 9 CPU really good or am I just really lovely?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nadir posted:

Is the level 9 CPU really good or am I just really lovely?

Level 9 CPUs cheat. Ya know how in the first Metal Gear Solid, Psycho Mantis could read your button inputs to avoid your attacks?

They are like but with their shields

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I'm bad at Home-Run anyways, but can someone give me a tip for:
"Play Charizard and get 328 ft. or farther without using the bat in Home-Run Contest"

Thanks!

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here

Macaluso posted:

Level 9 CPUs cheat. Ya know how in the first Metal Gear Solid, Psycho Mantis could read your button inputs to avoid your attacks?

They are like but with their shields
Yeah it's pretty absurd how they dodge every attack

Son of Isaac
Apr 22, 2008

Fritzler posted:

I'm bad at Home-Run anyways, but can someone give me a tip for:
"Play Charizard and get 328 ft. or farther without using the bat in Home-Run Contest"

Thanks!

Do a right smash, and then keep down smashing. Use a fully charged right smash, and you should be good to go.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
How do I not suck at this game?

The controls feel like the original Mortal Kombat as far as sluggishness goes.

Manual says I need to double tap on the thumbstick and hit a button to do a smash attack - I thought you just hold it down after doing direction + attack?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

oswald ownenstein posted:

Manual says I need to double tap on the thumbstick and hit a button to do a smash attack - I thought you just hold it down after doing direction + attack?

It's not a double-tap. To do a Smash, press a direction and A at the same time. To perform a faster, lighter attack (aka, a Tilt Attack) press in the direction slightly before you press A.

And yes, charge up Smashes by holding the A button and releasing. Tilt attacks can't be charged (though I'm sure some day there will be a character who has charged Tilts and then we'll all be in trouble).

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

oswald ownenstein posted:

There are three levels of normal attacks. Just hitting A without pressing a direction is your simple jab, lightly tilting the stick a direction and hitting A is a more powerful attack, and tapping a direction and hitting A is your smash attack. You can also hold a smash attack to charge it up for more damage and knock back.

You can also just use the right stick for smash attacks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there a reliable way of getting Crazy Orders tickets? I'm sore I hosed up and lost when fighting Crazy Hand and losing the Jerghinga music CD as a reward and I want to loving try and get it again.

• Locked thread