Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Kole's started a complete playthrough of Haunting Ground on the Duckfeed Twitch, if anybody else is bored this morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Losing that Dark Should savegame was just too funny. Made me donate! Shane I don't have time to watch today.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

competition: totalbiscuit posted a video on reviews. I made it 1:07 before giving up. I still have no idea what the hell his point was. Can you do better?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm not even gonna try, so yeah, I can do better.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

double nine posted:

competition: totalbiscuit posted a video on reviews. I made it 1:07 before giving up. I still have no idea what the hell his point was. Can you do better?

Well if it's like the rest of his videos then his point was to pander to redditors by taking some kind of pointless stand on an obvious issue that no one actually disagrees with like "Day 1 DLC that cuts content from games is bad!" so that he can get some more upvotes and subscribers.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Thank you to everyone who participated in our charity stream. $2,600 for Transactive. We're going to go bigger and better next year.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Woffle posted:

Thank you to everyone who participated in our charity stream. $2,600 for Transactive. We're going to go bigger and better next year.

That's so great. Thanks guys. Was really fun to watch and participate. Can't wait for next time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Great job, you guys. From the relatively little that I saw (and participated in... by making Gary and Kole read out a 7-digit number via chat), you guys put on a decent stream.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
I really can't overstate how proud I am of everyone involved in Duckstream, from all the folks streaming to the donors and viewers that gave up sleep to stick around. It was really an awesome time and for an amazing cause. I'm legit proud to say that I donated to it, you guys are all amazing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Has Sean talked about Taylor Swift on Thumbs before? I thought that was a weird cut this week but it also sounded familiar.

He's also talked about going to a Miley Cyrus concert on a previous podcast.

Sean's unabashed, enthusiastic love of pop singers is my favourite thing about him :swoon:

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
That Duckstream was some of the most fun I've had in awhile and I'm glad some of my silly jokes got some laughter. I'll definitely participate next year!

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Beard Yawn posted:

I really can't overstate how proud I am of everyone involved in Duckstream, from all the folks streaming to the donors and viewers that gave up sleep to stick around. It was really an awesome time and for an amazing cause. I'm legit proud to say that I donated to it, you guys are all amazing.

It was so fun!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Wow, this thread went to sleep for a while. Just popping in on the holiday to say that this week's Watch Out for Fireballs! is our live panel from PRGE 2014 about Street Fighter II.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/87

Up next is a three-parter on Morrowind, then Rock Band. We're still trying to settle on our schedule for early 2015, so that will have to suffice.

Happy (American) Thanksgiving.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm just waiting to hear what the Thumbs think of Far Cry 4 after they get a while to play it. Some of the stuff on the last episode was incorrect about stuff in the game, and I'm interested to hear what their take is on the protagonist since he's now asian dude with a north-east american accent. Even the pronunciation of his name is telling when different characters use it - I took some of that to be the NPCs trying to convince the protagonist that he belongs and has a duty to stay and fight (even if every side is in the wrong) and follow in his parents' failed footsteps. It was at least more interesting than FC3 which was, at its base, a slasher-survival movie premise about white kids on vacation, while FC4 is more like Men of War, if Dolph was an islander as well.

If Far Cry slips back to the white guy protagonist killing loads of people in far-away lands, I'd like them to give it a like, Midnight Express background, or just flat say "hey, you're a drug dealer (or maybe Fitty Cent), and you got screwed over and left for dead and now have to go native and get revenge." FC2 had some of that, and a lot of people still feel that was the best iteration of the series.

Also I never played FC2, so I can't gauge how effective fire is in 4 vs 2, but it seems stronger and longer-lasting than in 3.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 27, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FC4 has many of the same problems as 3 does in that the vast majority of the game is essentially just arbitrary grinding, but I find that just the setting itself being so much more interesting than a generic tropical island makes a huge difference. It's a really, astoundingly beautiful world in the way that the last game wasn't.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I find the mechanics of Far Cry 3 and 4 really engaging personally, so I don't need much from a story, just that it not be stupidly offensive as a baseline really. Far Cry 4's change from a white saviour to an expat son of two indigenous resistance leaders goes a long way towards achieving this IMO.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just to inform your Idle Thumb conversation about fighting games, just about all fighting games have balance patches, including Street Fighter. Every iteration (Super-AE-Ultra) are balance changes along with new content. Characters change all the time with frame data and/or new moves.

Smash Brawl was the last fighting game that wasn't getting any patches period.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Tae posted:

Just to inform your Idle Thumb conversation about fighting games, just about all fighting games have balance patches, including Street Fighter. Every iteration (Super-AE-Ultra) are balance changes along with new content. Characters change all the time with frame data and/or new moves.

Smash Brawl was the last fighting game that wasn't getting any patches period.

I don't think new editions of SF are the same as a live platform but you're right that Smash Bros is late to the online party. I think the makeup of Smash Bros brings it closer to Dota and other online games than most fighters, though, just because of how much extra crap is laid over the main mechanics.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well if you want a specific example, Street Fighter 4 AE edition got a huge balance patch that was called 2012 that wasn't a new iteration.

I'm not familiar with Dota balance changes, but the Smash 4 changes recently seem to fall in line with other fighting games, like taking out glitches (Yoshi teleport, Item lag cancel), strength changes (changing Luma's recovery from 8 to 13 seconds), frame changes (characters like Wii Fit trainer increases 10 frames landing after an air dodge), etc.

And just in case you mention Smash again, tournaments do want to use Custom moves but the lack of a master memory system to transfer custom moves to multiple systems is big reason why they're not standard yet.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Also re: fight game balance:
I don't remember if it was MK VS DC it MK9 but one of the things netherrealm (/midway) was able to do was change balance without requiring patches by using the title managed storage that 360/ps3 games get to basically store a text file with damage info, etc. and change it without having to go through the cert process.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Keeping the Idle Thumbs fighting game balance chat going...

The different versions of Street Fighter II contain balance changes and new moves for characters, along with the more broad content updates like new playable characters. Sometimes it was in more obvious ways like giving Chun Li a fireball to help her control space or giving Dhalsim a teleport to help him stay away from other characters, but the different versions would also change properties on existing moves and mechanics to balance them within the meta of the game at that time. An example of this is Capcom adding the ability to tech throws by inputting a throw yourself, reducing the damage you take.

The differences between the versions of Street Fighter II have actually split the fanbase of the games to a small extent, as some players prefer the balance and stripped down mechanics of Hyper Fighting compared to the more feature rich and loosely balanced Super Turbo. If you are interested in the meta game changes of a competitive game like Smash Bros. Melee, Super Turbo has seen changing competitive play taking place over 20 years.

Arcade manufacturers were able to patch cabinets by sending out conversion kits to arcade owners. A large amount of older arcade games have multiple versions, even within editions that have the same title. The MAME community has worked on cataloguing all the various versions of arcade releases, it can be surprising to see how many different versions of a game were released. It can be hard to track down version differences for arcade games, but I found some fan made patch notes for the original Mortal Kombat:

code:
Version 0.9:
    Prototype version
Version 1.0:
    First official release of Mortal Kombat
    In a two player game, both players could not choose the same character
    Liu Kang had Uppercut - Flying Kick Combo
Version 2.0:
    Both players could choose the same character
    New Shang Tsung death animation added
    Merchandise promo added
    More blood added
Version 3.0:
    Computer Intelligence increased
    Reptile added
Version 4.0:
    Reptile clues added (shadows on moon)
    Sonya and Kano could fight Reptile
    Block allowed during fatality
    Goro's theme played during all Endurance rounds
Version 4.0: (T-Unit)
    Hardware change (T-Unit)
    "ERMACS" removed from Game Audits
Version 5.0: (T-Unit)
    Bug fix release.
    No points bonus for The Pit fatality.
It's good to know that Midway sat back in their chairs at one point and thought that Mortal Kombat needed more blood.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

weird bleep posted:

The different versions of Street Fighter II contain balance changes and new moves for characters, along with the more broad content updates like new playable characters. Sometimes it was in more obvious ways like giving Chun Li a fireball to help her control space or giving Dhalsim a teleport to help him stay away from other characters, but the different versions would also change properties on existing moves and mechanics to balance them within the meta of the game at that time. An example of this is Capcom adding the ability to tech throws by inputting a throw yourself, reducing the damage you take.

The differences between the versions of Street Fighter II have actually split the fanbase of the games to a small extent, as some players prefer the balance and stripped down mechanics of Hyper Fighting compared to the more feature rich and loosely balanced Super Turbo. If you are interested in the meta game changes of a competitive game like Smash Bros. Melee, Super Turbo has seen changing competitive play taking place over 20 years.

Arcade manufacturers were able to patch cabinets by sending out conversion kits to arcade owners. A large amount of older arcade games have multiple versions, even within editions that have the same title. The MAME community has worked on cataloguing all the various versions of arcade releases, it can be surprising to see how many different versions of a game were released. It can be hard to track down version differences for arcade games, but I found some fan made patch notes for the original Mortal Kombat:

code:
Version 0.9:
    Prototype version
Version 1.0:
    First official release of Mortal Kombat
    In a two player game, both players could not choose the same character
    Liu Kang had Uppercut - Flying Kick Combo
Version 2.0:
    Both players could choose the same character
    New Shang Tsung death animation added
    Merchandise promo added
    More blood added
Version 3.0:
    Computer Intelligence increased
    Reptile added
Version 4.0:
    Reptile clues added (shadows on moon)
    Sonya and Kano could fight Reptile
    Block allowed during fatality
    Goro's theme played during all Endurance rounds
Version 4.0: (T-Unit)
    Hardware change (T-Unit)
    "ERMACS" removed from Game Audits
Version 5.0: (T-Unit)
    Bug fix release.
    No points bonus for The Pit fatality.
It's good to know that Midway sat back in their chairs at one point and thought that Mortal Kombat needed more blood.
:goonsay:

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Everyone loves my overly detailed video game knowledge.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I used to believe the same thing!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Counterpoint: That was a bunch of poo poo I didn't know and was actually kind of interesting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Mortal Kombat arcade machines had a bunch of revisions between them. I also remember a modchip for MK2 that sped up the gameplay and mixed the singleplayer ladder, it was basically the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo version of MK2 and the first time I'd seen a modded arcade board.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

coyo7e posted:

I used to believe the same thing!

No actually it was a pretty sweet post.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This is the gaming podcast thread, you can just say sensible or informative things, you have to butter people up with at least 45 minutes of fast food chat beforehand.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Nah, keep it classic and start out with energy drinks.

Also SF2 Rainbow Edition for lyfe, scrubs.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
My arcade had Koryu i believe, it was the most mind-blowing thing for me and my friends

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Get out of here with that. That was a good-rear end post.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

weird bleep posted:

The differences between the versions of Street Fighter II have actually split the fanbase of the games to a small extent, as some players prefer the balance and stripped down mechanics of Hyper Fighting compared to the more feature rich and loosely balanced Super Turbo.

And this is why the comparison isn't particularly valid.

Everyone knows there are a million versions of Super Ultra Street Fighter II Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha, but these are all discreet games which can and do coexist.

A game like DotA (or apparently SSBWiiU) doesn't have a myriad of competing editions which are played competitively, it has one version, the constantly updated latest version.

Strett Fighter has never been a 'game as a service' in the way that DotA or other competitive online games are, it's a totally different model.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

This is what I meant by that conversation being muddled btw. Also the arcade cabinet facts are totally fascinating and good. I love when podcast conversations result in people sharing arcane knowledge. The "game as service" model seems to be very much about keeping a multiplayer community as non-fragmented as possible, at least on Valve's part that is probably always going to be a response to the existence of Counter-Strike 1.6 v CS Source-and-later, an intractable rift in that game's community (and history). They've gone so far with Dota 2's "it just works to update under the hood, don't worry" nature that people suspect Dota 2 is actually running on a newer Source engine than it was when the game launched, and you can't even tell because it just happened silently one day, with the only difference being the particle effects got nicer. That system and its goals (keep updates painless, allow for heavy tweaks and evolution but in a locked down semi-black box way that doesn't let users branch off into fragmented sub communities) is very different from traditional version updating systems. That's not to say other games don't do it, but it felt notable coming to Smash Bros, maybe just because it's Nintendo (who is not known for supporting online platforms or services well, but has found themselves the reluctant parent of one), and maybe because Smash's varied maps and aggressive asymmetric character classes and wacky game-modifying items give it the Valve-like "potential game as service" feeling more than most traditional fighters.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Someone should write in with fighting game balance knowledge to questions@idlethumbs.net

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
So I bought Giant Bomb premium because it was on sale and I was curious about Metal Gear Scanlon, which is turning out to be worth the money. Dan Rikert may be a loving mess in terms of eating habits but drat is he entertaining. Anything else that I should check out now that I have premium?

Podcast hosts out there: please play Dragon Age Inquisition. The moment to moment combat is pretty mediocre, and the ui is meh, but the high level and story stuff is keeping my interest. I want to hear what others think about this.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Ulta posted:

So I bought Giant Bomb premium because it was on sale and I was curious about Metal Gear Scanlon, which is turning out to be worth the money. Dan Rikert may be a loving mess in terms of eating habits but drat is he entertaining. Anything else that I should check out now that I have premium?

Podcast hosts out there: please play Dragon Age Inquisition. The moment to moment combat is pretty mediocre, and the ui is meh, but the high level and story stuff is keeping my interest. I want to hear what others think about this.

Come over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601551
Read the OP
start posting about pears and bananas

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

Ulta posted:

Some recent stuff:

The Mario Party streams. The whole crew is playing through all of them. They're up to MP2 so far.
Here's MP1.
Here's MP2.

All of the Demo Derbies. Starring Drew and Dan. They play old PS1 era demo discs.
Here's the first.

Giant Bomb Unplugged: Avalon. Watch the crew + two GameSpot folks play Avalon, a tabletop game, and discover the power of Danny O'Dwyer and Marry Kish.
Giant Bomb Unplugged: Avalon

RetroHelix fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 30, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dan Ryckert was the best man for the job to step in after Ryan died. His penchant for being an unrepentant shithead in competitive games combined with getting super into anything he's playing means the Mario Party streams are truly something magical. His contributions to the podcast are fantastic too, though mostly for his Forrest Gump-esque life history.

Dan loves Mario Party as a series. Every single other person in the office hates Mario Party. Hate hate hate hate hate Mario Party. Hate it. Hate every simpering stupid vacant player-insulting moment of it. Hate the sensibility that thought anyone would like it. Hate the implied insult to the players by its belief that anyone would be entertained by it.

But boy oh boy is their misery our entertainment.

thanks ebert

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Dan Ryckert has the strangest accent I've ever heard and for the first lot of episodes I thought he was originally from Europe or something. I have never been off of the east coast, that probably explains it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tae posted:

I'm not familiar with Dota balance changes, but the Smash 4 changes recently seem to fall in line with other fighting games, like taking out glitches (Yoshi teleport, Item lag cancel), strength changes (changing Luma's recovery from 8 to 13 seconds), frame changes (characters like Wii Fit trainer increases 10 frames landing after an air dodge), etc.

And just in case you mention Smash again, tournaments do want to use Custom moves but the lack of a master memory system to transfer custom moves to multiple systems is big reason why they're not standard yet.

DOTA 2 changes are complete overhauls in some cases. Like you'll have something equivalent to changing Luma Recovery and adding or removing frames, and then you'll have something like "Nobody uses Falcon Punch so now it's Falcon Shoot instead and it shoots a falcon"

Also one of the complications with special moves is that both Custom Moves and Equipment are locked behind a Customization: On/Off switch. Custom Moves introduce some really cool differences to the game, for some characters it's almost like choosing a loadout, or to continue the Dota comparison it's like choosing a different skill build on a hero to counter what the enemy is doing which is cool and dynamic. The problem is that equipment is straight up broken a lot of the time to the point where someone with the best Attack equipment can kill a character in one hit. They've already had customization on tournaments where people snuck in some equipment hoping nobody would notice because people are assholes. Unless they patch these two things to be separate you'll probably have Custom Off tournaments for the time being.

They've actually been patching things, and these days Nintendo is actually doing some really good DLC so I'm hopeful for the game. I'm enjoying Smash 4 a lot more than Brawl.

I used to play in Melee tournaments around 2006 and now when I look at what the top players can do it's so beyond the level of everyone playing back then. When I moved back home to Kuwait after college the scene had mostly moved on to Brawl, which wasn't great competitively, and our Melee scene never recovered. Kuwait has a really strong 2D fighter scene though, it used to have the best King of Fighters players in the world outside of Japan.

These days my competitive gaming is mostly based around Dota because you can actually play at a decent level with people as far as Europe. A lot of my friends these days all live in different countries, and it's cool to get on a Europe server as a team of 2 guys in Kuwait, one in Europe, and 2 on the east coast of the US and all play together, where if we tried that in Smash it would be unplayable.

Chris Remo posted:

Someone should write in with fighting game balance knowledge to questions@idlethumbs.net
We have some very knowledgeable players in the various Fighting Game threads scattered all over the place, is there anything specific you're looking for?

• Locked thread