Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
This thread is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
There are lots of cool improvements and changes being made over time. The manipulator can be upgraded and last I heard it will dig up all materials and upgrades are just to make it cooler, and dropped the changed of need to unlock the privilege of diggin up iron in the first place so you can actually make that anvil.

I am just horribly obsessive over the combat/survivability :airquote: progression, as it has been, still is, and most recently stated plans for the future.

EDIT: vvv See, stuff like this is why I'm still looking forward to next stable in REDACTED BY TIME TRAVELERS. So much cool game, and new toys being added. I'm just very down on the whole "+1 enemies will kill you in 3 hits, forever. If you have the very bestest armor for that tier you will survive 7 hits... Now, go dig up your FTL parts on the moon, where you will need to use Snow Gear instead of armor to survive the cold temperatures... Wait, poo poo." dev plan as most recently stated on the combat end.

Though I figure eventually it will get tuned up better once the beta process is not entirely in a mode where the devs have suggested you activate godmode in the past. That could be skewing research numbers on combat, just maybe. No matter how polished or not the next Stable is, it should hopefully provide some better long term basis for beta tweaks than nightly.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 15, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

There are lots of cool improvements and changes being made over time. The manipulator can be upgraded and last I heard it will dig up all materials and upgrades are just to make it cooler

Yep and its speed is decent enough to start, though it only digs a 2x2 square until you finish the tutorial quests and unlock the ability to upgrade it (which just costs resources aboard your ship and currently by the time you finish the tutorial and can leave your starting planet you should have it up to a 4x4 square.) A further upgrade lets it pick up liquids.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Afraid of Audio posted:

Gotta grind out those troll cheevos

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Dominic White posted:

They're holding off until releasing a new 'Stable' build until everything is working properly, because they don't want to break mods every few weeks.

I think that having a new version break mods every few weeks would truly suck, but at this rate it's more like they don't want to break mods more than once a year. By the time the new stable is out, how much of the previous version's mod developers will have moved on to a newer, more troll-friendly Early Access game?

I really am looking forward to more of the game, along with the various different ways of progressing through it - like farming or whatever. Maybe they will add a character class that lets you harass the colonies on each planet, some kind of Pirate or... Space Troll.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I thought the whole point of building the modding system right in was that mods don't break with every update, so long as the mod hooks haven't changed fundamentally.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

I thought the whole point of building the modding system right in was that mods don't break with every update, so long as the mod hooks haven't changed fundamentally.

And here's the thing: They HAVE changed the hooks fundamentally. They've done a major engine rewrite since last stable release , and now they've got that whole custom HUD layer that allows completely custom UI interaction with the game world and vice versa. They've got to get that all squared away before they roll it out to the public.

That scanner mod that they showed as an example was pretty amazing. If that's what they're just using as a first-gen suggestion, the sky is the limit once the new system is fully implemented.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

hopefully the modders come back in 2016 for v1.0

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Speaking of mods, there's a total conversion mod floating around that's leaps and bounds ahead of the nightlies

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

oddium posted:

Speaking of mods, there's a total conversion mod floating around that's leaps and bounds ahead of the nightlies

I can't find enough coal to fuel the spaceship and also I can't find the spaceship? Also I can only be human this game sucks 0/10 lovely ripoff

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

oddium posted:

drat, this looks like a really nicely polished mod. I'd say it must have taken years, but Starbound hasn't been out that long, so that would just be inaccurate.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Why would you play a game where you can't be a Bird? I can't understand this mod or its purpose...... who is this for???

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Reiley posted:

Why would you play a game where you can't be a Bird? I can't understand this mod or its purpose...... who is this for???

Unchain your mind from your preconceived notion of what a bird looks like, friend

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Reiley posted:

I can't understand this mod or its purpose...... who is this for???
Anyone who wants to play Final Fantasy 5 characters apparently... Sprites are straight rip off

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Um did Final Fantasy 5 character's have a 40 frame powerjogging walk cycle ?? You might as well call coal a diamond

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not sure why that conversion mod went in the direction of mmo grinding and giant damage zones that fly at you constantly. poor choice, imo.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm not sure why that conversion mod went in the direction of mmo grinding and giant damage zones that fly at you constantly. poor choice, imo.

staying true to the source material

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Tenebrais posted:

I can't find enough coal to fuel the spaceship and also I can't find the spaceship?

I found the spaceship but I can't get it to move?? Somebody help

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Jackard posted:

I found the spaceship but I can't get it to move?? Somebody help

Afraid of Audio posted:

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

TangentEnigma posted:

I am going to pretend this game does not exist for another year and maybe by then it will be done enough to live up to all the hype. It was nice looking but completely lacking in depth and polish and actual content the last time I tried it.

Playing little iterations completely sucks the fun out of games for me. It is like reading a book one page a week. This game and Wasteland 2 are really shining examples of the downfalls of these multi-year work-in-progress betas. Maybe it works for some people but I do not like it.

The people who are mad at the video game should consider doing this too.

Ok I only waited 6 months and so far I can't tell that anything has changed.

Wasteland 2 was pretty good though. I am glad that I did not play the beta.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Theres a huge new patch packed with three years of work coming ANY DAY NOW, so dont uninstall just yet!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kly posted:

Theres a huge new patch packed with three years of work coming ANY DAY NOW, so dont uninstall just yet!

It'll be a full download anyways so they might as well.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Man... Hadnt logged into steam in like 3 weeks. Had 32 items queued to download. Thought "starbounds gotta be in there!" and so I looked and it wasn't. I was actually sad :(

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

grimcreaper posted:

Man... Hadnt logged into steam in like 3 weeks. Had 32 items queued to download. Thought "starbounds gotta be in there!" and so I looked and it wasn't. I was actually sad :(

Letting go is important in the healing process.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's what the developers did, after all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why isn't this thread gassed yet?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Because the posts may be whiney and terrible but at least there on topic whiney and terrible.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
man what a disappointing sack of poo poo game this turned out to be

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jack Trades posted:

Why isn't this thread gassed yet?

I can only rate it 1 once unfortunately.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I can only rate it 1 once unfortunately.

What the hell is this yellow quote thing?
I've been on the forums for 4 years and I've never seen that before.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zo posted:

man what a disappointing sack of poo poo game this turned out to be
But it hasn't turned out yet, isn't that the point? That it's still under construction?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

But it hasn't turned out yet, isn't that the point? That it's still under construction?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
don't get hyped for games just take them as they come; fable and spore taught me that well

idk I paid like $15 or something for this and it held my interest for a while and there's some cool mods. was fun. if it gets updated cool if not whatever.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i didn't pay anything for this

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't deserve this

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

mutata posted:

I don't deserve this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-TZ8Z5S9rI&t=31s

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ive gotten 200 hours out of starbound. Well worth my money and I will continue to support ChuckleFish because it's an awesome game.

risk of rain is also awesome.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

Ive gotten 200 hours out of starbound. Well worth my money and I will continue to support ChuckleFish because it's an awesome game.

An opinion rings out from the top of the book warehouse. The governor, a YCS veteran and avid poster, recognizes the tone and shouts, "Oh, no, no, no. My God. They're going to troll us all!"

grimcreaper posted:

risk of rain is also awesome.

A second opinion. The thread rocks gently. Back, and to the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

This thread is bad and needs to die.

• Locked thread