Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What I don't get about coming out and saying that "no, despite being insanely racist, this was meant to NOT be racist" is, the entire point of these guys job is supposedly to deliver their opinions in a clear, unambiguous manner through imagery. So you're admitting that either they are abysmal at their jobs, or their opinion is completely reprehensible.

matrix ripoff posted:

Well, too bad. This thread is going to remember you having a bad time and a wrong opinion and they'll drag it up EACH and EVERY SINGLE TIME you do a thing they don't like.

They own you now. You're done. Good luck having your voice heard indiscriminately in public discourse ever again!

Innocent Poster: B-b-but I thought it was A Bad Cartoon!
Judgemental Goons: He heh heh.
Corner Kelly: Something Awfully Judgemental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

vyelkin posted:

Maybe this thread has desensitized me, but I didn't think that cartoon was even that racist by conservative cartoonist standards. There have been way worse cartoons posted just in the last week, why get upset over this one rather than an actually abhorrent one?

e: don't get me wrong it's racist, but there have been waaaay more racist cartoons published recently.

The mustache was a bit much though thankfully he didn't have a poncho or sombrero on. The only time I've really disagreed with this thread about the racism in a cartoon was the one that was I think Beeler, about the watermelon toothpaste. Yeah, I know about watermelons and racism, so I'm not ignorant of that, and I'm not going to say it was completely absent of racism, but I feel it was maybe a bit over the top to claim that it was dogwhistle racism. I really do feel it was the kind of situation where neither he nor his editor realized it because toothpaste is a step removed from an actual food, and then realized later "Wait, poo poo, that does kinda look bad now that I think about it." If it had been a guy opening Obama's fridge and there was a watermelon in it then yeah that would definitely be obvious, but toothpaste? Eh.

Fulchrum posted:

What I don't get about coming out and saying that "no, despite being insanely racist, this was meant to NOT be racist" is, the entire point of these guys job is supposedly to deliver their opinions in a clear, unambiguous manner through imagery. So you're admitting that either they are abysmal at their jobs, or their opinion is completely reprehensible.

I don't get why they don't do this sort of editing with every single McCoy cartoon and Obama's lips (maybe that paper doesn't carry either of the Mccoys, I honestly don't know).

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Maybe this thread has desensitized me, but I didn't think that cartoon was even that racist by conservative cartoonist standards. There have been way worse cartoons posted just in the last week, why get upset over this one rather than an actually abhorrent one?

e: don't get me wrong it's racist, but there have been waaaay more racist cartoons published recently.

I think it was mainly that he knew that what he made was racist, and he drew attention to the fact that he knew that it was racist by re-releasing a marginally less racist variant while ignoring that most of the racism is loaded in the premise and not the caricature.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Abyssal Squid posted:

I think it was mainly that he knew that what he made was racist, and he drew attention to the fact that he knew that it was racist by re-releasing a marginally less racist variant while ignoring that most of the racism is loaded in the premise and not the caricature.

Yeah, it's like if somebody posted a racist tweet filled with racial slurs, but then went back to replace the vowels in the slurs with asterisks when called out on it. The intent is still real loving racist, but now the tools used to demonstrate the racism are a little less pointed.

It's a little shocking, but not surprising to see a holiday centered around being grateful for what you have be subtly morphed into FYGM: The Holiday by conservatives. They're very grateful they have what they have, and they'd like to make sure they still feel that way by making sure as few people as possible have what they have too.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 23, 2014

Kwyjibo
Apr 1, 2003
GOP
GOT

NOT
HIN

Where does this guy stash his boosterism-flavored Kool-Aid, anyway? And can I get some? I want to be this unwaveringly happy about everything.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only time I've really disagreed with this thread about the racism in a cartoon was the one that was I think Beeler, about the watermelon toothpaste.

It was Holbert, of Skull Donkey fame.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
KHALIL BENDIB

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM

Mister Beeg posted:

How about a Gahan Wilson

This ran in Playboy in 1969. Copies of the magazine, naturally, got sent to the US Armed Forces. Apparently, the comic became so incredibly popular among GIs over there that enterprising Vietnamese were printing out and selling poster-sized copies on silk.

Years later, Gahan received a letter from one Louise Laughlin, wife (widow?) of Larry Laughlin. He put this excerpt of it up on his site:

"For a while, I wasn’t too fearful because all of his letters told me that he and his unit would attack the enemy from far away. But on May 13, 1969, their position was overrun by a Viet Cong unit. Our troops eventually won that battle, but not without a terrible loss of men. At the end of the day, Larry was exhausted, sitting on the ground, alive and uninjured, weeping for the loss of so many men, boys, really, that he knew so well and loved so much. As he was commiserating with himself, he spotted a copy of a Playboy magazine on the ground, its pages flipping in the wind. When the breeze died down, the exposed page contained Gahan Wilson cartoon showing a skeleton soldier covered in soot and blood with a caption reading, ”I think I won.” Larry tore it out, wrote down the terrible statistics of the day, folded it up and carried it in his wallet for the rest of his tour of duty. Sometime during that terrible day, he put himself in harm’s way, saved another soldier’s life and won a Bronze Star medal with “V” cluster--for Valor. He was then and still is my hero."

(Thanks to Tetrominon for passing this to me)

GAHAN! Reading through old National Lampoons and being terribly disgusted by their "offensive" humor it was always nice to get a break whenever one of Gahan's comics came up. There is a gentle sweetness to the stuff he does, even when he takes it to a dark place. I would love to see more of his political cartoons if you find any.

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME
For some reason I only just realized that the Ron Cobbs being posted here are by THE Ron Cobb. What an amazing illustrator. I wish I had his career.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

I got custom pens made because I'm irresponsible with money!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Scene: a man and woman are in a house. The man is lying on a couch while the woman sits against a wall because they spent all their money on pens instead of furniture. The man looks at his wife. "Remember Comet Guy who cried when the feminazis bitched?" he says. "I got you an original commemorative pen."

"Oh em gee," his wife responds, taking the pen from him. "Elly Prizeman's scifi chick pattern?"

"Sam, flip it upside down," the man says.

She turns the pen as if she was going to write with it. "Woah. Their clothing goes away. Man-haters like my sister are gonna demand to know where I got this."

"Tell 'em you know a guy," her husband quips. Then, a moment later, he says "Had another pen done. See?"

His wife looks at the second pen. "Ugh. Obama holding the U.S. flag? Are you-"

"Flip it over so the nib points down for writing," he interrupts.

"Oh! He loses his clothes- he's naked!" She is struck by why her husband has such an array of pens featuring naked people, and makes a mental note to investigate this sometime later.

"I call it the 'Emperor's Pen'," her husband smirks.

"Can I have this? The first one?" she asks.

"Sorry. Sent the prototype to the emperor," he responds.

Cut to: the White House, where Goku has just gone super saiyan on the front lawn. President Obama is currently signing a presidential veto on a bill passed through Congress on party lines, that would order every woman in America to name their firstborn Chris Muir Zed. For some reason he is doing this with a random pen he received in the mail from a crazy person.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"Imagine Obama...naked."
-Conservative Cartoonists

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Rorus Raz posted:

"Imagine Obama...naked."
-Conservative Cartoonists

O M G ! !

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

:golf:

Now watch me drive this joke into the ground in only fore panels!

:golf:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Zed has finished his transition to Sam Elliot and it's really disconcerting.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
First, I zomguh'd. Then I roffeled. Then I sent it to my bieffeffs, but they said they were too busy watching their grandkids and to stop emailing them, so I was like, whatevs!!

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Dick Cheney looking good in a slimming black burqua there.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

i'm sorry you were offended.txt

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I haven't posted MacKay in a while but bunnyofdoom has been picking up the slack from time to time. Here are some recent ones though:

Maybe my new favourite personification of debt.

Stephen Harper maintains very strict control over his entire party, from ministers down to backbench MPs, candidates, and staff.

Major credit to MacKay for including Big Ears Teddy.

Canada sent six planes to help bomb ISIS, but our planes are really old and require huge amounts of maintenance. Periodically they just fall out of the sky. We're supposed to replace them with the F-35, but well, it's the F-35.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I've been wondering why people like Muir are still going on about Matt Taylor's shirt long after he apologized. My theory is that realizing you might be wrong and honestly apologizing for it is anathema to modern conservative thinking and they can't possibly imagine doing so except under duress.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

vyelkin posted:

I haven't posted MacKay in a while but bunnyofdoom has been picking up the slack from time to time. Here are some recent ones though:

Stephen Harper maintains very strict control over his entire party, from ministers down to backbench MPs, candidates, and staff.

I thought that was aparticularly unfaltering take on Rona Ambrose, but I guess she does have a fairly thick neck.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Dark One posted:

I thought that was aparticularly unfaltering take on Rona Ambrose, but I guess she does have a fairly thick neck.

Is that unfaltering a typo? Because it sounds like you're saying that it was an apt caricature.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I guess we can add Muir to the "conservatives who are oddly obsessed with Obama being naked" pile.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

I've been wondering why people like Muir are still going on about Matt Taylor's shirt long after he apologized. My theory is that realizing you might be wrong and honestly apologizing for it is anathema to modern conservative thinking and they can't possibly imagine doing so except under duress.

It's more that he cried during the apology so the spin is that those evil feminists were just so MEAN to him that it hurt his feelings really bad and therefore they're all terrible people for picking on this poor man. If he hadn't cried then they probably wouldn't have talked about it for this long.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

The Dark One posted:

Whoa, did she used to wrestlenor something?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's more that he cried during the apology so the spin is that those evil feminists were just so MEAN to him that it hurt his feelings really bad and therefore they're all terrible people for picking on this poor man. If he hadn't cried then they probably wouldn't have talked about it for this long.

Which is an amazing turnaround from how these types usually treat men who cry.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Or how they usually treat people who say that their feelings were hurt/people were saying mean things to them.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Cut to: the White House, where Goku has just gone super saiyan on the front lawn.

So weird...There's a repeating shape or two in there; maybe he tried to draw something and merged his layers, then ran out of step-backwards? For someone who pays such close attention to the curves of the naked woman he's tracing, this has me stumped.

Plague of Hats posted:

Which is an amazing turnaround from how these types usually treat men who cry.

Unless those men are admitting to an affair with an aid/prostitute or are Speaker of the House recollecting a sad memory...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Is this supposed to be an Ebola toon? Someone please remind me of Ebola's resounding success in the United States. :rolleyes:

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

RyokoTK posted:

Is this supposed to be an Ebola toon? Someone please remind me of Ebola's resounding success in the United States. :rolleyes:

The shark is angry and white. The naive fish is green.

This is obviously allegory for people to put their money where their mouth is.

Yea, I have no idea either.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

That's not how the czar system works.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
Shark Czar would be a rad as gently caress Civil Service position.

"Mr. President, I have some sudden and shocking news about sharks. They are loving rad." :coolfish:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Mister Beeg posted:

Few more Ron Cobb cartoons:

Allen Wren posted:

This dude is utterly brutal, and I love it.

...when I'm not crying into my sleeve over how doomed we are.

He reminds me a bit of Franquin during his "Idées noires" days:

(this is from the late seventies/early eighties)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

My eyes!!!!!! :stonk:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

IndustrialApe posted:

He reminds me a bit of Franquin during his "Idées noires" days:

Just in case anyone asks:

"Oof! No use deceiving myself... I'm a nobody"
"I'll always just be one among millions of others..."
"I'll never understand how some manage to achieve more... to climb faster and higher than others..."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This seems to be another one of those times when I only thought about what the labeling meant for a split second and got confused, but that's already more time than the author spent thinking about it.

edit: maybe I'm just confused because the emperor never gets his clothes back in the fable.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

lol, 7oden, Terry Wise and CAM :qq:ing about Gary Varvel getting slapped down: https://www.facebook.com/glenn.foden/posts/10205830724026716:0?pnref=story

• Locked thread