Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

i am harry posted:

That sounds terrible...:cripes:

Other people said it but it's actually not as bad as you would think. I just had that realization while playing it, though. Lots of chasing map objectives to click on them or kill/collect bear asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Weird thing I found. After Blackwall randomly showed up in my Inquisitor's bedroom and kissed her, (was not even trying to romance him), there was a guy standing in the wine cask area. He asked me if I was ready for the "Quizquisition" and asked me some trivia questions. I failed, and he disappeared.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

GreenBuckanneer posted:

:|

I dont want to waste a perk on that...

Hopefully, a future DLC will allow you some easier method to gain Inquisition perks. As of now, it never seems like you have quite enough.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
before I go much further in the game, can you be hurting for time on doing things on the world map? just curious if I can relax and just do all the things on the world map, or if it ends up I'm having to make a lot of decisions

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Where in the Fallow Mire do I find wisp essences? Finished the beacon subquest, but haven't seen any wisps or essences thereof in this miserable zone.

Because people have been telling you wrong, there are three areas where about 5 or 6 of the green floating enemies spawn. There is one among them who is a special type who drops those essences. You'll know him because he always has a barrier and takes a bit to kill.

They're at the island near the bottom right of the map, one at the far left, and one near the center. The areas are the Old Thoroughfare, Weeping Spires, and Granite Point.

Knight Enchanter is so fun.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Finished that stupid Orlesian ball mission. At least the boss fight was cool. Nice mask, rear end in a top hat.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Diogines posted:

It should actually. The Chantry being in France Orlais seems to be drawing inspiration to when the Pope was in Avingon, France? 7 popes had their papacy in France.

Except the Popes in Avingon resulted in one of the worst Schisms and conflicts over whether the Pope was a Pope or the Anti-Pope and as much as I'm enjoying my first few hours into this game I suspect its never going to be as interestingly nuanced as medieval Europe was.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So, 20 hours in, and I am astounded with how good this game really is. At best, I wanted a game to hold me over until Witcher 3, but didn't actually expect a game to be able to compete with it. I haven't seen this much content in a story driven RPG since Baldur's Gate 2.

Also, gently caress the haters, I like Sera. I like everyone actually.

If this is the new direction for Bioware, I can't wait until Mass Effect not-four.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think goons were overdoing the whole LOL RANDUM Sera bit a little too much, but her voice is pretty awful.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Namirsolo posted:

According to Gaider, the Anderfels are as close to Germany as Dragon Age gets.

If I remember correctly the Anderfels are described as a land of steppes and mountains of extremes of heat and cold, and peopled by bearded barbarians who are led by a ruthless military order (the Grey Wardens) and practice ritual scarification.
If that's what they think Germany is or was like, then I am quite baffled.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eonwe posted:

I think goons were overdoing the whole LOL RANDUM Sera bit a little too much, but her voice is pretty awful.

She introduces herself by stealing the pants from the enemies around her and does things like sends you on a mission to get a jar of beeeeeees (sic) with a document with a butt drawn on it. I'm not sure it's possible to overexpress how Randomly Wacky she is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This thread moves to fast and I bet this has already been answered fifteen pages ago, but can I change the clothes my inquisitor wears while in the base? Everyone else is a fancy motherfucker but my inquisitor is wearing this awful tan thing that makes her look like a villain on Star Trek (even more so than being a Quanari).

edit: this game is really good.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

This thread moves to fast and I bet this has already been answered fifteen pages ago, but can I change the clothes my inquisitor wears while in the base? Everyone else is a fancy motherfucker but my inquisitor is wearing this awful tan thing that makes her look like a villain on Star Trek (even more so than being a Quanari).

Doesn't seem like it.
Annoys me quite a bit as well.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Randarkman posted:

If I remember correctly the Anderfels are described as a land of steppes and mountains of extremes of heat and cold, and peopled by bearded barbarians who are led by a ruthless military order (the Grey Wardens) and practice ritual scarification.

Maybe they meant Prussia :razz:

Teutonic Knights, Grey Wardens, who can tell the difference?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Randarkman posted:

Doesn't seem like it.
Annoys me quite a bit as well.
Oh...huh. You can craft six billion things for your characters and your castle but not that? Seems like a bizarre oversight.

Also, I was surprised that the game didn't ask for my EA/Origin login when it first started up (on the PS4). Did they get a brain and realize everyone hates that, or is there some other reason?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Randarkman posted:

I hope this is true just for hilarious lack of historical understanding it would show, there was no real such thing as Germany at the analogous historical point the Dragon age universe corresponds with and even the most prevalent state (being Prussia) was nothing like that at all. Gaider is almost self satirising at this point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh...huh. You can craft six billion things for your characters and your castle but not that? Seems like a bizarre oversight.

Also, I was surprised that the game didn't ask for my EA/Origin login when it first started up (on the PS4). Did they get a brain and realize everyone hates that, or is there some other reason?

If you're playing it on a console your origin/EA login is tied to your console-specific user name(s).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lol gently caress Sera.

They did a good job of making a character I'll never use.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

StoneOfShame posted:

I hope this is true just for hilarious lack of historical understanding it would show, there was no real such thing as Germany at the analogous historical point the Dragon age universe corresponds with and even the most prevalent state (being Prussia) was nothing like that at all. Gaider is almost self satirising at this point.

To be fair I think it's a tiny minority of people (especially in America) who know this at all, let alone among game devs.

It's not that surprising.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

If you're playing it on a console your origin/EA login is tied to your console-specific user name(s).
Oh, really? So like, it knew already from my playing Battlefield 4 or whatever what my EA username was, and just used it?

edit: vvv yeah, I recognized immediately that that's what Sera's purpose was. If you want to gently caress the equivalent of some high profile Tumblr user, she's your girl.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 23, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Also, gently caress the haters, I like Sera. I like everyone actually.

When Sera is just chatting normally and not slipping British chav slang into every sentence she's actually a decent character. There's definitely a good back story to her being an anti-establishment agitator. It's just that it almost never happens and she's constantly dropping British slang like "innit" and "arse" and saying "shite" instead of "poo poo" like everyone else and generally being 'lol I'm so random'

I'll give Bioware credit, they wrote Sera for a specific section of their fanbase and absolutely nailed it. Reddit, Neogaf, tumblr etc. all absolutely love Sera like she's the second coming.

If Sera was given a similar accent to the other Fereldan characters and dropped the constant London trash slang she'd be much, much more tolerable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, really? So like, it knew already from my playing Battlefield 4 or whatever what my EA username was, and just used it?

Yep. It even carries across consoles if you link multiple accounts to it. I've got stuff on my Sony one from when I played X-Box versions.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

To be fair I think it's a tiny minority of people (especially in America) who know this at all, let alone among game devs.

It's not that surprising.

Just because there wasn't a German nation state in the Middle Ages doesn't mean that you can't have a united not-Germany in a fantasy game (even though as I said the Anderfels sound nothing like Germany, thoug part of it sounds a bit like the Teutonic Order State, but only in the ruled by military order category)

Also just because the Free Marches have city states and the game depicts a roughly medieval society, that doesn't mean they ARE medieval/renaissance Italy, if anything judging from their status as a border regions, the mention of large influential clans, and some of the Free Marchers' accents it really seems to have been drawn more from the English-Scottish border regions, just with independent city states instead.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:siren: Sera Thoughts :siren:

I actually agree that the blame has to be shared between the writing and the voice actress.

To say nothing of the actual content of her dialogue, the mere inflection and dialect of her speech is really off-putting because no one else in the entire three games talks like she does. So it doesn't make her seem provincial, it just makes her seem brain-damaged, like everyone else in Thedas (including her Friends) should be staring askance at this random girl who makes no sense.

And then we get to the fact that the actress's delivery, most of the time, simply doesn't sell what the writers are trying to get the character to be. Like, I know exactly what the writers are going for, here; it's a very Whedonesque, Fireflyesque unflappable patois, and requires a very specific -- I'm not sure how else to say this -- intent to get across. This actress just doesn't get it. I'd be surprised if she herself even knows what Sera is saying most of the time.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

so you can find out why the exalted marches on the dale happened. turns out an elf warrior fell in love with a human girl which caused a misunderstanding and ended with a human settlement being slaughtered by elf warriors. then the chantry marched their asses into the dales. like romeo and juliet if everything hosed up even worse.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

pentyne posted:

When Sera is just chatting normally and not slipping British chav slang into every sentence she's actually a decent character. There's definitely a good back story to her being an anti-establishment agitator. It's just that it almost never happens and she's constantly dropping British slang like "innit" and "arse" and saying "shite" instead of "poo poo" like everyone else and generally being 'lol I'm so random'

I'll give Bioware credit, they wrote Sera for a specific section of their fanbase and absolutely nailed it. Reddit, Neogaf, tumblr etc. all absolutely love Sera like she's the second coming.

If Sera was given a similar accent to the other Fereldan characters and dropped the constant London trash slang she'd be much, much more tolerable.
The idea and concept of Sera is neat, the execution is just terrible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

so you can find out why the exalted marches on the dale happened. turns out an elf warrior fell in love with a human girl which caused a misunderstanding and ended with a human settlement being slaughtered by elf warriors. then the chantry marched their asses into the dales.

Elves have been haughty long-lived, arrogant bow-wielding, orc-slaughtering, tossers in fantasy for so long that I am content with the elves of DA having to suffer for that by proxy at human hands. gently caress Elves.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Darth Windu posted:

It isn't. It's a massive single player RPG with lots of very optional MMO style quests.

It's seriously the best RPG - probably the best game - of the last few years. Probably the best game Bioware has ever made.

Yeah. I'm pretty astonished, and I was really down on Bioware because of DA2 and ME3. I really wasn't expecting them to make something this expansive and this good.

Also, Sera makes me think of - like - some sixteen year old British kid. This is kind of weird because of the whole 'romance' thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Harlock posted:

The idea and concept of Sera is neat, the execution is just terrible.

If I have it correct, Sera was adopted/abducted by a wealthy Human woman and raised to despise her own culture or something. There are many real world examples of that happening, the Aborginals in Australia, and it could make for a compelling story but its mired in tumblr randomness.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah. I'm pretty astonished, and I was really down on Bioware because of DA2 and ME3. I really wasn't expecting them to make something this expansive and this good.

Also, Sera makes me think of - like - some sixteen year old British kid. This is kind of weird because of the whole 'romance' thing.

Sixteen's legal in Britain (I'm not looking through the smilies list for a pedo one...)

Elektrostasia
Oct 3, 2013

pentyne posted:

The voice and conversational style is definitely part of it but I also think some of it is that she's really quite different from everyone else in your party, in a bad way. Just about all your other companions understand things like duty and responsibility and stuff and seeing them talk about it and the different ways they view that stuff is cool, but Sera's just so out of left field that you don't get anything out of her. Maybe I just haven't heard the right banter? All of my conversations with her have basically had like, a kernel of a decent idea caught up in what honestly comes off as flat out ignorance and selfishness.

Which is cool and all, but why approach the Inquisition then?

I tried taking her out with Solas, who was probably the other most anti-establishment person out of the companions and you can guess how that went.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
So, I'm liking this game. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do when fighting dragons though. The one in the Hinterlands I had to solo because my party died instantly.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GreenBuckanneer posted:

:|

I dont want to waste a perk on that...

Someone mentioned that you beat the game at Inquisition level 10 or so. I'm 6 and am just about to wrap up Act 1 from the looks of things. Unless the rest of the game is literally a race to the finish or the point requirements skyrocket, I'm going to have some freedom with my points, so I went ahead and took the knowledge perks like History and Politics. They come in handy as alternatives for hiring Agents if you didn't bring the right companion to handle it for you.

Still need to find enough agents or pick a perk to waste in secrets so I can get Deft Hands. All those locked doors bug me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is there a way to get rogue skills like Twin Fangs to actually loving hit half the time? 90% of the time it feels like they miss because an enemy moves forward just one step and it doesn't leap at them or it decides that even though you were right behind them it counts as the flank and does poo poo all damage. Locking on doesn't seem to do anything.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I've been playing all day and night and after reaching what I imagine is about the halfway point story-wise I can say without hesitation that this is my favorite game of all time. The last game that had me so enraptured was Mass Effect 2 and Bioware has clearly learned a ton since then.

Now someone tell me where to find elf-specific medium armor if it exists. I keep finding dwarf and human-specific armor sets and I want my confused elf to look her best.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Why is the hair in the game so shiny, it's driving me nuts

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is there a way to get rogue skills like Twin Fangs to actually loving hit half the time? 90% of the time it feels like they miss because an enemy moves forward just one step and it doesn't leap at them or it decides that even though you were right behind them it counts as the flank and does poo poo all damage. Locking on doesn't seem to do anything.

I had this problem a ton when I first started out with my rogue. As I've gotten more used to the combat system, I've gotten much better at landing it almost every time. I think it's just practice and learning your enemies. Some do a lot more lunging and moving than others, but they all telegraph their attacks so pay attention to those.

Elektrostasia
Oct 3, 2013

Yaws posted:

Why is the hair in the game so shiny, it's driving me nuts

Turn your mesh setting up to ultra

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I have the same problem so I only use it when a target is frozen. I think you get a huge damage bonus that way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

How many inquisition perk points do you get total?

• Locked thread