Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's the etiquette (?) with regards to RPG books that only you own, but the players don't, for online games? If it was an IRL game then it'd be reasonable to just pass around the book during play, but I don't think it's proper to send the whole PDF to someone just so they can read through it, because they'd never need to buy it themselves.

Do you just play with only people who also have it, or write down/explain the relevant rules and mechanics outside of the PDF, or ???

It's kinda a legal gray area, moving towards dark... but I'm guilty of it. I simply can't, in good conscience, ask my friends to buy a $20+ PDF to play a game. I do try to buy multiple books for systems I like, to balance it out, and I always encourage the purchase of sourcebooks, but hell, who has the money in this day and age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

You make a good point though and do so without insulting others so I like you

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

It's kinda a legal gray area, moving towards dark... but I'm guilty of it. I simply can't, in good conscience, ask my friends to buy a $20+ PDF to play a game. I do try to buy multiple books for systems I like, to balance it out, and I always encourage the purchase of sourcebooks, but hell, who has the money in this day and age?

Yeah...I'm guilty of this for the Shadowrun stuff I've run. Some of the sourcebooks have really cool stuff in them like new drones but it's like 5 pages of it total which isn't worth the money they're often charging, especially since the group I play that with often runs at over 8 people.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

I just checked

24 different systems. That's how many different rpg core rulebooks I own but have never run.

I'm not going to count them all but there's a ton of stuff I want to play but never have, like Hunter, Ars Magica, Apocalypse World, Shadowrun, Paranoia etc.

I've been looking for a good space opera type game for forever, as well...not crap like Eclipse Phase, or Rogue Trader which is good but obviously inseparable from Warhammer though.

Dec 26, 2012

zen death robot posted:

Back when I used to IRC takeovers and netsplits were kind of common so it was insane to even attempt something like that. Guess it's probably not that way anymore.

It's not, no. Depending on the system it can be pretty reasonable to run over IRC even - I run 13th age over it and it works swimmingly. Systems that care more about spatial stuff get hairier and will probably prefer to use roll20 or something. 4e is right out.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Davin Valkri posted:

I'm glad to see you have some standards, but please understand. This isn't some vague and ephemeral matter for us--we've already had one poster decide to bow out of SA and traditional games writing entirely because people on this forum were giving her transphobic poo poo. And an awful lot of us are women, gay, bi, trans, and so on. So when somebody talks a lot of transphobic or homophobic garbage they're directly saying "I don't give two whits that you play the same game and roll the same dice as I do. You are Other and therefore Inferior," and that sucks a whole lot. It's not just here on the forums--waaaaay too many people involved with these games are like that (see: RPGPundit, Zack S, Gamergate, etc.) So we--or I, although I hope it's a lot more than me!--do our best to provide a space free of that garbage. There's enough of it elsewhere; no need for it here. And that's why you and Zoq-Fot-Pik and all these other people I've never seen before are getting this reaction. Because intentionally or not you're dragging that garbage in and dumping it on the play table and saying "This is our poo poo, all you Others can suck it up and deal with it!"

I completely understand your point, but I'd like to speak to Zoq's character. He's a good guy, and a strong supporter of equality.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I'm not going to count them all but there's a ton of stuff I want to play but never have, like Hunter, Ars Magica, Apocalypse World, Paranoia etc.

I've been looking for a good space opera type game for forever, as well...not crap like Eclipse Phase, or Rogue Trader which is good but obviously inseparable from Warhammer though.

There are space rules for Shadowrun that can be adapted easily but the vehicle rules are really weird.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I played Shadowrun once, and I'd love to play it again. I was the embodiment of Facebook, and had a quirk where I had to refrain from posting our mission details online.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Davin Valkri posted:

I'm glad to see you have some standards, but please understand. This isn't some vague and ephemeral matter for us--we've already had one poster decide to bow out of SA and traditional games writing entirely because people on this forum were giving her transphobic poo poo. And an awful lot of us are women, gay, bi, trans, and so on. So when somebody talks a lot of transphobic or homophobic garbage they're directly saying "I don't give two whits that you play the same game and roll the same dice as I do. You are Other and therefore Inferior," and that sucks a whole lot. It's not just here on the forums--waaaaay too many people involved with these games are like that (see: RPGPundit, Zack S, Gamergate, etc.) So we--or I, although I hope it's a lot more than me!--do our best to provide a space free of that garbage. There's enough of it elsewhere; no need for it here. And that's why you and Zoq-Fot-Pik and all these other people I've never seen before are getting this reaction. Because intentionally or not you're dragging that garbage in and dumping it on the play table and saying "This is our poo poo, all you Others can suck it up and deal with it!"

I support equality for everyone, even though I say bad words online sometimes (and not in this thread).

Widestancer posted:

There are space rules for Shadowrun that can be adapted easily but the vehicle rules are really weird.

I'm sure, but ideally there'd be a dedicated game out there that's also good...One can dream.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I have a notebook which has a pretty much fully written Call of Cthulhu story/game that will likely never be played :(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's good to attract new posters, or else a forum becomes stagnant.

Here's a good question: How many RPG books/pdfs do you guys own that you've never played? I'm embarrassed to check how many I have (I blame Bundle of Holding), but I know there's plenty of obscure games I've wanted to try.

I've owned the old Basic Roleplay Call of Cthulhu for well over a decade and never gotten to run it. Other than that, I've generally gotten a stab at everything I've owned, since I'm perpetually the GM instead of a player.

Still want to run Iron Heroes some day, though, see if it fixes 3.5's feat system some. Oh, and I haven't gotten to run Pendragon yet, but I've got friends who want to play some time when we finish our current games. And I suppose I own but haven't run Monsterhearts.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Here's a good question: How many RPG books/pdfs do you guys own that you've never played? I'm embarrassed to check how many I have (I blame Bundle of Holding), but I know there's plenty of obscure games I've wanted to try.

My GM gave me his hardcover of Mage: The Ascension for my birthday and I swear I'll run that drat thing someday. :shepface:

Aside from that, I have way too many game PDFs that I only read for ideas and nothing else.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Sex Robot posted:

I have a notebook which has a pretty much fully written Call of Cthulhu story/game that will likely never be played :(

Hell, get a crew group together, and I'm in*

*providing my school and work schedule don't interfere, which they will

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

TurninTrix posted:

Aside from that, I have way too many game PDFs that I only read for ideas and nothing else.

I do this with GURPS, haha.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

It's good to attract new posters, or else a forum becomes stagnant.

I consider myself somewhat fortunate that my irl collection could never be too big due to space and travel concerns. but I've got maybe 20 total books split over a half dozen systems.

I've got somewhere around 30-40 GB of nothing but RPG pdfs though.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Dammit now I really want to play more trad games and I kinda wanna post here more gently caress

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Night10194 posted:

I've owned the old Basic Roleplay Call of Cthulhu for well over a decade and never gotten to run it. Other than that, I've generally gotten a stab at everything I've owned, since I'm perpetually the GM instead of a player.

Still want to run Iron Heroes some day, though, see if it fixes 3.5's feat system some. Oh, and I haven't gotten to run Pendragon yet, but I've got friends who want to play some time when we finish our current games. And I suppose I own but haven't run Monsterhearts.

Hahaha Iron Heroes fixing anything. It's still full of the same 'system mastery' bullshit like trap feats and options that look sound until you actually play them.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I am always looking for peeps to play with but i usually get roped (mostly by my self) into running games and then everything seems to implode.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
A friend of mine gave me her dad's old D&D books

so much of it I haven't touched, but there's

-Unearthed Arcana
-Best of Dragon Vol. III
-BoD Vol. IV
-BoD Vol. V
-SPELL LAW
-Arms Law and Claw Law
-The D&D Monster Manual
-BoD Vol II
-D&D DM Guide
- Oriental Adventures
And The Gods of Glorantha.

I've only checked out the last one, and it's super awesome. Totally sold me on Glorantha, and made me mad hype for the 13th Age in Glorantha kickstarter.

Of the above, any worth reading?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Widestancer posted:

Dammit now I really want to play more trad games and I kinda wanna post here more gently caress

good

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kwyndig posted:

Hahaha Iron Heroes fixing anything. It's still full of the same 'system mastery' bullshit like trap feats and options that look sound until you actually play them.

Probably, yeah. One of my old groups of friends from college absolutely loves 3.5 so I'm always trying to look for a way to make 3.5 anything but pulling teeth for me to run, you know?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

-Unearthed Arcana
-Best of Dragon Vol. III
-BoD Vol. IV
-BoD Vol. V
-SPELL LAW
-Arms Law and Claw Law
-The D&D Monster Manual
-BoD Vol II
-D&D DM Guide
- Oriental Adventures

I've only checked out the last one, and it's super awesome. Totally sold me on Glorantha, and made me mad hype for the 13th Age in Glorantha kickstarter.

[Tell] me about the Glorantha stuff.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

-Unearthed Arcana
-Best of Dragon Vol. III
-BoD Vol. IV
-BoD Vol. V
-SPELL LAW
-Arms Law and Claw Law
-The D&D Monster Manual
-BoD Vol II
-D&D DM Guide
- Oriental Adventures

Monster Manuals are always good.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Widestancer posted:

Davin kind of nailed it. Be nice, be welcome!

Also, We have lots of threads dedicated to various systems, so if y'all are curious about a game but want to ask questions before dropping cash. I recommend hitting them up.

E: or just asking in here, this is the chat thread and all.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 23, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

There's an honest-to-god game called Space Opera which is (ideally) meant to fulfill that task. However it's from 1980, long out of print, and from the looks of it one of those examples of early game design where MORE COMPLEXITY = BETTER. Which might be your cup of tea, I dunno.

Failing that, WEG d6 can be reskinned easily enough to be pretty much anything. poo poo got relabeled as D6 Adventure/Fantasy/Space and are free on Drivethru.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Probably, yeah. One of my old groups of friends from college absolutely loves 3.5 so I'm always trying to look for a way to make 3.5 anything but pulling teeth for me to run, you know?

Have you looked into 13th Age? It basically takes elements of 3.5, 4e, and narrative-focused games and fuses them together with interesting results.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Making 3.5 tolerable requires changing it to the point it is very little like 3.5 anymore. At least to my tastes. Its the low point if D&D IMO.

Microlite20 is the best D&D offshoot. 13th age isn't that bad either.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I had a lot of fun in an Iron Heroes game, but that's because we exploited the broke-rear end system to make it gonzo as gently caress.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

[Tell] me about the Glorantha stuff.

So, there's all these ancient gods, and people essentially roleplay out the stories of the gods to gain power

Also, dwarves work underground because the elf god suplexed the dwarf god in a wrestling match SO hard that he was buried beneath the earth.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Slimnoid posted:

There's an honest-to-god game called Space Opera which is (ideally) meant to fulfill that task. However it's from 1980, long out of print, and from the looks of it one of those examples of early game design where MORE COMPLEXITY = BETTER. Which might be your cup of tea, I dunno.

Failing that, WEG d6 can be reskinned easily enough to be pretty much anything. poo poo got relabeled as D6 Adventure/Fantasy/Space and are free on Drivethru.

It isn't my cup of tea really, but thanks for the suggestion, and RIP to the ancient game that my dad might've played once.

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

Have you looked into 13th Age? It basically takes elements of 3.5, 4e, and narrative-focused games and fuses them together with interesting results.

I got into it just recently and I think it's really good. Jump in to 13th Age today gamers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

It's not an option. That group is like full on 3.5 grognard. They even hate Pathfinder, which is unusual for that. They refuse to even consider 4e, etc. Like, they're good players and good friends, we have fun playing, but the best I can do is get them into 40kRP or Spycraft.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I am a hardcore 13th Age fan, no lie.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
:staredog:

quote:

Character creation is a long process in Space Opera, typically taking about an hour for a more experienced and indepth character.

Dec 26, 2012

Same.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Night10194 posted:

It's not an option. That group is like full on 3.5 grognard. They even hate Pathfinder, which is unusual for that. They refuse to even consider 4e, etc. Like, they're good players and good friends, we have fun playing, but the best I can do is get them into 40kRP or Spycraft.

The 40k RPs are fun if it's that kind of group, though.
Unless they actually take that seriously.
Then it's not so fun.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Let me assure you that that is on the LOW END for games with roots in that era. Shadowrun and d20 charas can easily take me several hours as I look for options, go back and recheck my math, and figure out how to get my concept on paper.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Putting it this way, I am one of the NPCs in 13 True Ways.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am curious about 13th age, but like I said above, I have one group the won't even consider it, and one group that's more interested in stuff like Pendragon and hates D&D. Also, yes, that group and I had a great time with Deathwatch and Black Crusade, getting up to antics and laying waste to hundreds of dudes while high fiving and trying to one-up themselves, which was the right way to go.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I do this with GURPS, haha.

I don't see GURPs as a system as much as a collection of cool supplements I will eventually tack into another system.

I ran a short-lived Dungeon World game inspired by Hot Spots: Renaissance Florence. That was pretty fun.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Also curious about this, though I'm looking for one with a more military sci-fi bent like Mass Effect. I know about Trinity, though I'm wondering if there's anything else out there.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Night10194 posted:

I am curious about 13th age, but like I said above, I have one group the won't even consider it, and one group that's more interested in stuff like Pendragon and hates D&D.

Man up and get them to play Chivalry and Sorcery

• Locked thread