Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Welcome to November! Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and gearing up for the holiday season all await you in this month. Are you ready for the holiday season?

To kick discussion off: are there any games coming out soon that you are looking forward to? Or any shiny new games you just got that you're itching to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This is a very americocentric thread :colbert:

Guy Fawkes day in a couple of days. To celebrate my wife and I will be... going to see stand-up comedy. Obviously.

I'm waiting in eager anticipation for the delivery of the Dungeon Lords/Petz kickstarter, which if they'd done it properly should have delivered in time for Halloween D: Also currently nursing the biggest craving in the world for a game of Mage Knight thanks to Stelas' PbP threads.

Vlaada me dammit.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
I think this one deserves being mentioned: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bullypulpitgames/night-witches

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've backed that ! It's a really good AW hack. There are some very interesting mechanics in this. PbtA games are better the more focused they are on the genre, and it doesn't get much more focused than 200 women in all of WW2. A campaign of this should be a very interesting mix of MASH and Tour of Duty.

There are three stats (Luck, Skill, Guts). There are a couple of other numbers that get used for moves, these are based on things like Medals or Regard. Regard is the replacement for Bonds or Hx. Each playbook has so many slots for Regard, usually four, each one contains a person or plane, and a Tone: Love, Trust, Admire, Respect, Hate, Resent, Pity, and Fear. These aren't exclusive, you can make up more to fit your character. You can change Tone midgame, and the target between sessions. You take +1 when rolling a moving involving the target of your Regard; Regard doesn't stack.

Playbooks are based on birds, each nicely different. Each character also has a Role like Protector, Zealot, Misanthrope, which differentiates characters. Roles also provide opportunities for Advances when you change Duty Stations/

They kept Harm as a term, 1-harm is stressed or short on sleep, 4 is dead. This nicely reflects how flying combat missions in a bad state can get you killed or seriously injured. Much more interesting than Harm are Marks. These are all the ways war can leave its mark on a person; Comfort a dying friend. Betray a friend or lover. Disgrace yourself or your uniform. You get 12, all different, and each time you are marked you check off another one. The last one you pick is, of course, death; or perhaps not, playing a character is a strange thing sometimes. Whichever you pick, work it into the fiction as soon as you reasonably can.

The campaign structure revolves around Duty Stations, each of which has six missions that must be completed; the order is up to the ranking officer who gets to chose. Play alternates between Night, where you play out a mission, and Day, where you rest, repair, and recreate. Every six missions you move West to another Duty Station. Get through all six and the war is over.

There's a lot of historical data in here, and a very useful guide to daily life on an airbase. Even without knowing much about WW2 you should be able to run this game. It's steeped in Soviet-era flavor, keep an eye out for the political officer.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Spincut posted:

Or any shiny new games you just got that you're itching to play?

I just published a new game last week that I'm excited to get to actually play soon: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/138619/Laws-Out--the-AuctionBased-Cowboy-Adventure-Game

It was one of those twenty-four hour game creation dealies.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

gnome7 posted:

I just published a new game last week that I'm excited to get to actually play soon: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/138619/Laws-Out--the-AuctionBased-Cowboy-Adventure-Game

It was one of those twenty-four hour game creation dealies.

I am also excited to play this!

Also I just backed Night Witches, but haven't gotten a chance to read it. Really excited about what I've been hearing.

And I'm going to be starting my first campaign of Feng Shui, using the kickstarter previews and updating our characters as new revisions come out.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Night Witches, hell yeah! I want this game to fly so much, it isn't even funny.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, Night Witches is :krad: and I backed that in a heart beat even if I'll probably never get to play it.

In other news, I was bored the last few days. I had John Harper's ultra-lightweight, one-page, and loosely Apocalypse engine based Lasers & Feelings on my mind. I ended up deciding to do something like Scrolls & Swords (more refined version here) and create a Cyberpunk reskin of it called Chrome & Punks. Managed to cram in both the bonds from Scrolls & Swords and a modified version of the ship trait choices from Lasers & Feelings in. So you can all stop playing the overcomplicated crapsack that is Shadowrun's rules now. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 3, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looks pretty cool :)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've been spending all day downloading my DriveThru library since I've never downloaded all of it, and I want to see how big it really is.

I've been doing this for about 9 hours, I'm just at the start of the "L"s, and I'm already at 11.6 GB pre-decompression.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
My pared down digital copies total 17.1 GB. You add in all the ancient D&D and oWoD books and I think it's in the twenties. This is a shameful loving hobby, I tell you what.

Anyway, I'm tinkering with the core idea for a game system, but it's not even advanced enough that it'd merit posting in the elegance in elfgames thread yet. I wanna see if this is too irritating for use as a regular mechanic.

As an attack process, I'm thinking of ripping off Fire Emblem, so

1) Roll under (To Hit - Enemy Avoid) on a d100. If hit,

2) (STR + Weapon Damage) - (Enemy Defense) = damage.

3) If enemy survives, counterattack.

On one hand, you're making two rolls each attack at most, and probably just one if you're doing it right. On the other, there's a lot of comparative math going on every step of combat resolution, and sometimes you'll have to do it twice in a row just for one player's action.

Good and crunchy or too much garbage?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

To ease the math, maybe use smaller numbers? 1-10 or 1-20 instead of 1-100? Though you lose a LOT of granularity that way.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Don't forget weapon triangle bonuses :v:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I have 13th Age every other Tuesday, Iron Kingdom every other Saturday, Mage:TAw every Sunday, Shadowrun every Thursday, D&D 3.5 every Monday, a PBP D&D 4E, and Friday Night Magic every week. And someone else wants me to start doing a boardgame night every other Wednesday.

I MIGHT HAVE A PROBLEM YOU GUYS

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
You have the problem of making me envious. :sigh:

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Reene posted:

I have 13th Age every other Tuesday, Iron Kingdom every other Saturday, Mage:TAw every Sunday, Shadowrun every Thursday, D&D 3.5 every Monday, a PBP D&D 4E, and Friday Night Magic every week. And someone else wants me to start doing a boardgame night every other Wednesday.

I MIGHT HAVE A PROBLEM YOU GUYS

Sundays: GURPS Cavemen
Mondays: Blood and Smoke
Tuesdays: Actual work
Wednesdays: Actual time with girlfriend
Thursdays: Mage: The Awakening
Fridays: DnD 5th edition
Saturdays: Fellowship

You have a problem?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Spincut posted:

To kick discussion off: are there any games coming out soon that you are looking forward to? Or any shiny new games you just got that you're itching to play?
A couple weeks ago I participated in Mikan's TradJam thing, resulting in a mini dark magical girl RPG called Magical Fury, which I really want to try out at some point (and which will definitely influence Magical Burst whenever I get back into it). It would up being a kinda-sorta Powered by the Apocalypse game in the vein of Sundered Land and Murderous Ghosts.

I picked up both of the currently available sets of Seiji Kanai's Lost Legacy (Starship and Flying Garden), and I really want to try them together.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really want to try running Iron Heroes. I know it's a 3.5/D20 game and I swore them off, but Spycraft 1.0 was a lot of fun and 3.5 generally becomes way more fun when it doesn't have D&D Wizards running around, plus I just got into using Roll20 and would actually be able to use a map and tokens as the game expects.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Night10194 posted:

I really want to try running Iron Heroes. I know it's a 3.5/D20 game and I swore them off, but Spycraft 1.0 was a lot of fun and 3.5 generally becomes way more fun when it doesn't have D&D Wizards running around, plus I just got into using Roll20 and would actually be able to use a map and tokens as the game expects.

I'm listening to Role Playing Public Radio's Let's Play of it and sometimes they make it sound so cool ... and then other times it takes them 5-10 mins just to get the rules down for whatever specific thing they're trying to do and I just shake my head.

No Wizards though ... sometimes I feel tempted too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It really is amazing, from playing Spycraft 1.0 and all, how much just removing the magic system improves 3.5. Suddenly, being the guy who has a lot of HP, the best armor, and great combat abilities actually matters! Specialties actually mean something because there isn't this huge cancer hanging off the system doing everyone's job better than they do, and you can have characters who actually have niches, roles, and that helps build relationships. Like my Spycraft Soldier being hilariously bad at doing any of the spying stuff (to the point of being comic relief), but when the party needs someone to step in front of all of them and give 'em cover fire with a hand-fired machine gun or wield a 23mm anti-material shotgun without a brace to kill loving space gorillas with plasma guns, there's Sergeant Gallagher. It gave everyone a time to shine and cool stuff they could do, and I'm hoping if I run it some day IH will do the same.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I assume Spycraft 1.0 also adds a whole lot more options and abilities (I've never played it), because playing 3.5 entirely with noncaster sounds... horrifyingly boring.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.
I got a sneak peek at Vincent Baker's new game a couple weeks back- it's a dungeoncrawl card game called Temple of the Frog God. I printed the sample deck (he's local for me) and it looks super fun. Very lighthearted and zany. I'm looking forward to seeing the rules!

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Doodmons posted:

Sundays: GURPS Cavemen
Mondays: Blood and Smoke
Tuesdays: Actual work
Wednesdays: Actual time with girlfriend
Thursdays: Mage: The Awakening
Fridays: DnD 5th edition
Saturdays: Fellowship

You have a problem?

How do you do this? Is some online and same face to face? All the same group or multiple?

Last fall I tried running three separate games on a very irregular every other week cycle and that (plus playing in one "every other week" game) was just too much.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

frankenfreak posted:

You have the problem of making me envious. :sigh:

I also have the opposite problem to that: zero gaming.

I've tried meeting up with local groups, and using meetup.com, but "no gaming is better than bad gaming". So far its been nothing but bad experiences. I'm actually suspecting I may just drift out of it altogether while I focus on other hobbies like the gym or taking up archery. At least until I can find some likeminded friends around here. :smith:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

I backed that. I have a group of friends who would all be down for that. It should be pretty neat.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Scrape posted:

I got a sneak peek at Vincent Baker's new game a couple weeks back- it's a dungeoncrawl card game called Temple of the Frog God. I printed the sample deck (he's local for me) and it looks super fun. Very lighthearted and zany. I'm looking forward to seeing the rules!

Man I live in Chicago, how can I be friends with Vincent Baker and playtest his stuff.

Tell him I'm cool, Scrape.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Sionak posted:

How do you do this? Is some online and same face to face? All the same group or multiple?

Last fall I tried running three separate games on a very irregular every other week cycle and that (plus playing in one "every other week" game) was just too much.

All are face to face. I'm a university student at a university with a very active and really good Trad Games society. This term is the first term in three years I haven't been either running or playing in a society game, however, since you've seen my RPG schedule. All of those are different groups made up entirely of people I've met through the society. There are a few common players, like 3/4 of the Fellowship game are in Mage and the other player is in GURPS and in D&D along with 2 of the others from Fellowship. There are some players in every game who are only in that game, though. B&S is the most separated game in that none of its players or the GM are in any of my other games - not since the B&S GM dropped out of Fellowship. It is a game that's been going on weekly for 2 years, however, and the rest are new this term.

At least I'm only running one of those games, though. This time last year my schedule looked the same except I was running three of those weekly games. I got GM burnout big time and with the ending of my 2 year Reign campaign, I'm trying to cut back heavily on how much GMing I do. I simply don't have time for university work and the prep work required to run a campaign, so prep and rules light systems like Dungeon World are my godsend right now.

On an unrelated note, it's Naga Demon! For those of you who aren't quite masochistic enough to do Nanowrimo, it's also National Game Design Month. Make a motherfucking game in one month. I'm writing a game about a gang of thieves in a fantasy city. Hustle: Ankh Morpork basically. I'm totally procrastinating on Enemy Action and I figure bashing out a similar game in a month will give me a bunch of good ideas for it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
That's certainly an...interesting shortening. Probably better than Nano Wrimo, anyways.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Doodmons posted:

it's also National Game Design Month. Make a motherfucking game in one month. I'm writing a game about a gang of thieves in a fantasy city. Hustle: Ankh Morpork basically. I'm totally procrastinating on Enemy Action and I figure bashing out a similar game in a month will give me a bunch of good ideas for it.

Did that already. Unless adapting a previous work to a new genre doesn't count. :v:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

In other news, I was bored the last few days. I had John Harper's ultra-lightweight, one-page, and loosely Apocalypse engine based Lasers & Feelings on my mind. I ended up deciding to do something like Scrolls & Swords (more refined version here) and create a Cyberpunk reskin of it called Chrome & Punks. Managed to cram in both the bonds from Scrolls & Swords and a modified version of the ship trait choices from Lasers & Feelings in. So you can all stop playing the overcomplicated crapsack that is Shadowrun's rules now. :v:

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Oh huh. I should probably take that as a sign to put to paper this silly idea for a 4e-based tactical strategy Castlevania game.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ElegantFugue posted:

Oh huh. I should probably take that as a sign to put to paper this silly idea for a 4e-based tactical strategy Castlevania game.

Go on.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Sionak posted:

SR, Mage, and D&D are online games for me. Only Iron Kingdoms, 13th Age, and FNM are face to face things.

I got really lucky finding groups actually. The IK game is run by a goon who saw my LFG post and has cool people in it by some miracle. The 13th Age I was invited to by my best friend from high school and his friends are really cool people. And there is only one lovely person at my FNM venue. Admittedly he is kind of extremely lovely by doing poo poo like hugging me and patting me on the head but hey at least it's only one guy.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

grassy gnoll posted:

As an attack process, I'm thinking of ripping off Fire Emblem, so

Someone in one of my games on IRC cooked up a homebrew Fire Emblem system a few years ago that worked decently, if a little inelegantly. If you want to see if any of the math is worth salvaging from it I can toss it on Drive when I get home.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Luceid posted:

Someone in one of my games on IRC cooked up a homebrew Fire Emblem system a few years ago that worked decently, if a little inelegantly. If you want to see if any of the math is worth salvaging from it I can toss it on Drive when I get home.

That would be extremely rad, so yes please.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
So, since NaNoWriMo is mentioned here and I am doing it, I also found it it is NaGaDeMon AND it is... let me look up the shortening for the other one. Here it is: WoShoStoMo or something like that: World Short Story Month (you are meant to read a short story each day).

I think NaNoWriMo is already turning out to be punishing enough. I have done 5k words or so in the first couple days and have to go and write some more now since I haven't done anything for today yet relevant to that. So, I am off to sacrifice to the writing gods.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I stopped doing those monthly things of pretty much any sort because the scheduling is just too stressful for me, especially this time of year.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gah, stop with the pseduo-acronyms. :psyduck:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

grassy gnoll posted:

That would be extremely rad, so yes please.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ARkjUUAdkzZGxZNER4Q0JwT1U/view?usp=sharing

That's the PDF he made a few years ago, it's kind of unfinished but it works well enough to play. I don't have any of the other tools on me like the spreadsheet that made making a character way easier, but if you can get any mileage out of the stuff in there, go wild.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Well, it'd be set up sort of like Jimbozig's Strike! in that it'd be a flat low-numbers math, no-ability-scores sort of deal.

Classes are things like Vampire Hunter, Half-Vampire, Power Mimic, etc., and each one gives you a different set of power options. The categories are as follows:
    Passive powers (stuff that's always active, or that you don't specifically 'activate' to use, like cutthroats being able to climb walls or power mimics being able to steal attacks from dead enemies)
    At-wills (pretty much the same as 4e)
    Once-per-Encounter (same as 4e's encounter powers)
    One-per-Encounter (these replace dailies; in each encounter, you can choose one and only one of these to use) [name not final]
Each class will have a set of 3-7 options to choose from in each of the four categories, and they'll be able to take 1-3 from each set. How many of each will vary from class to class.
Going to try to keep the overall number of combat options to keep track of down to somewhere around upper Heroic tier from 4e.

Not really oriented for long campaign play, more of a "DraculaThe Vampire Lord has risen again, and it's up to the Belmonts and friendsyour allegiance of supernatural warriors to fight through his castle and slay him once more before the night ends" thing. There'd be at most one or two levels of 'advancement' of some significant kind for each class, probably just an extra tier of Power options.

Everybody gets a choice of a subweapon, which you can use every turn sort of like an at-will minor attack. Probably with some sort of limited recoverable ammo mechanic like hearts. Maybe with its own Item Crush One-Per-Encounter power available as an alternative to your classes' One-Per-Encounters.

Rules for swarms of no/low-HP enemies that act as unintelligent groups that can be resolved about as quickly as full monsters.

And guidelines for lots and lots of interesting terrain like clock towers and living garden mazes and flowing waterways and ghost-filled ballrooms.

The main thing that's been holding me back is anything out-of-combat. There's gotta be meat in the walls but heck if I know what sort of system should let you find it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

ElegantFugue posted:

Well, it'd be set up sort of like Jimbozig's Strike! in that it'd be a flat low-numbers math, no-ability-scores sort of deal.

Classes are things like Vampire Hunter, Half-Vampire, Power Mimic, etc., and each one gives you a different set of power options. The categories are as follows:
    Passive powers (stuff that's always active, or that you don't specifically 'activate' to use, like cutthroats being able to climb walls or power mimics being able to steal attacks from dead enemies)
    At-wills (pretty much the same as 4e)
    Once-per-Encounter (same as 4e's encounter powers)
    One-per-Encounter (these replace dailies; in each encounter, you can choose one and only one of these to use) [name not final]
Each class will have a set of 3-7 options to choose from in each of the four categories, and they'll be able to take 1-3 from each set. How many of each will vary from class to class.
Going to try to keep the overall number of combat options to keep track of down to somewhere around upper Heroic tier from 4e.

Not really oriented for long campaign play, more of a "DraculaThe Vampire Lord has risen again, and it's up to the Belmonts and friendsyour allegiance of supernatural warriors to fight through his castle and slay him once more before the night ends" thing. There'd be at most one or two levels of 'advancement' of some significant kind for each class, probably just an extra tier of Power options.

Everybody gets a choice of a subweapon, which you can use every turn sort of like an at-will minor attack. Probably with some sort of limited recoverable ammo mechanic like hearts. Maybe with its own Item Crush One-Per-Encounter power available as an alternative to your classes' One-Per-Encounters.

Rules for swarms of no/low-HP enemies that act as unintelligent groups that can be resolved about as quickly as full monsters.

And guidelines for lots and lots of interesting terrain like clock towers and living garden mazes and flowing waterways and ghost-filled ballrooms.

The main thing that's been holding me back is anything out-of-combat. There's gotta be meat in the walls but heck if I know what sort of system should let you find it there.

Add in rules for playing your descendants as they battle against resurrected Dracula then link me the Kickstarter so I can throw money at it.

• Locked thread