Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Sanding always takes hours and hours and hours.

But you get results such as these

Question: are there photo-etched parts for 1/144 kits, and if so, do they really make much of a difference over the finished work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I agree sanding adds a lot but you are really going out on a limb to say that sanding makes that. If you included painting, really good painting, and detailing sure. Sanding is just another technique to add more to the model.

From watching Gundam Build Fighters, I kinda want to give the file another try, any tips? Last time I used it was like Texas Chainsaw Massacre for gunpla.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Philthy posted:

Blah, winter is here. My basement where I paint has dropped to around 50.

Paints are fine with the airbrush, but the top coat I use (Liquitex Matte) spits white blobs. Even warming it by the heat vents, and thinning doesn't help. I'm thinking the compressor air which is not heated is what causes this.

C'Monnnnnn spring time.

gently caress.

I feel your pain. I don't have an airbrush yet, but it's bad enough trying to keep a steady hand and be comfortable while working in a room that probably doubles as a refrigerator (unfinished attic space connected to my bedroom). And it's the only place to use rattlecans when it is winter in Michigan.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tenzarin posted:

I agree sanding adds a lot but you are really going out on a limb to say that sanding makes that. If you included painting, really good painting, and detailing sure. Sanding is just another technique to add more to the model.

From watching Gundam Build Fighters, I kinda want to give the file another try, any tips? Last time I used it was like Texas Chainsaw Massacre for gunpla.

I use a hobby knife and a really soft sanding stick (squadron tools, I think), and as long as you're careful not to gouge the plastic with the hobby knife the sanding stick takes care of making everything super smooth, with no big scratches or anything.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I talking about a metal file, not xacto and sanding sticks.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

I talking about a metal file, not xacto and sanding sticks.

well dont do that. A metal file is essentially a saw on plastic.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Fauxtool posted:

well dont do that. A metal file is essentially a saw on plastic.

I use a metal file and a 3-step nail buffing bar, and it works alright. But if you let that file touch a piece with anything remotely approaching the weight of a drat feather, you're gonna chew up your plastic. And you'll need to sand for a good finish no matter how well you file, so you can probably cut the middle man.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've tried making my own pseudo-Squadron sanding sticks but there's some kind of voodoo - the 600 grit 3M sandpaper I glued to foam from the butcher counter, y'know, the kind that meat comes in (No I didn't get it with meat on it, they gave me a couple of unused ones) just doesn't do as well as the medium grit Squadron sticks. Not nearly flexible enough to just get the nubs without flattening out parts. Popsicle sticks are even worse. There's gotta be a better DIY option; the emery boards I got are grittier than the files I'd used before them.

Anyway, I have resigned myself to be painting my Rick Dom. There's Mr. Surfacer on some less-than-stellar shoulder and arm part seams that got almost, but not quite, Extra Thin Cemented properly.
One of these days I will figure out how to actually get a decent seam join with Extra Thin. I came close, but not quite, on my Zaku II 2.0 and close, but not quite, on my Zaku I Sniper.
Next time I'mma try it like this - but feel free to correct or interject if I'm doing something dumb:

1) Lightly sand the surface of the parts to be joined
2) Brush on a coat of Extra Thin on one part
3) Brush on a coat on the other
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3
5) Push parts together save for around a 1mm or less gap
6) Drip some more Extra Thin into the gap and let capillary action happen
7) Push and hold together with vise-like strength as best as my fingers can allow in hopes that the stuff seeping out is plastic and not just excess cement
8) Wait a couple hours and progressive sand to completion

If I'm lucky whatever collateral sanding damage gets primer'd out. I realize this is a fairly elementary skill, and from a very cursory look through the manual, will only affect the remaining bits of shoulder. The bell bottoms look like the seams won't be visible, yay 1999 MG engineering!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Used A file for one of HG Amazing Zaku's feet, it does the work fast but I can get the same results safer with sanding sticks but slower. I guess slow and steady is the way to go for now for me.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
My Tamiya toolkit came with a metal file and it just Eats plastic. It's great. I have to be really careful on corners so I don't round off, otherwise it's way faster than sanding normally. But I'm lazy, so.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Yeah, I've got this Tamiya file set, and I pretty much only break them out if I want a big chunk of something completely gone.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

John Carstairs posted:

Yeah, I've got this Tamiya file set, and I pretty much only break them out if I want a big chunk of something completely gone.

I use the flat rectangular one regularly, just really lightly then buff out the scratches with 600+ grit. Though I bounce between knife/file work depending on where the nubs are on the piece.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Good news for UK goons: you have what looks to be a decent parts replacement service. I think it's available for anywhere, but shipping is probably going to really hurt.

They only accept MGs and RGs though.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ka0 posted:

Sanding always takes hours and hours and hours.

But you get results such as these

Question: are there photo-etched parts for 1/144 kits, and if so, do they really make much of a difference over the finished work?

What kit is this?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Looks like a super custom Z'Gok.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Looks like a custom build of the Z'Gok E kit.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, it's custom. Too bad, I wanted to buy one.

Found the dudes page that made it, it's really flipping amazing.

http://ameblo.jp/masamunechan/entry-10635572935.html

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

everythingWasBees posted:

Looks like a custom build of the Z'Gok E kit.

Nah, that's just the basic Z'Gok, not the E.

Anyway, I've ordered Cardigan GM, I already have Build Burning, and now I feel obligated to get Lightning too :negative:

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 23, 2014

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Just finished the Powered GM Cardigan. It's a good, fun, solid build — much like the HGUC Jesta/Jesta Cannon. Apologies for the shite pictures.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

BlitzBlast posted:

Good news for UK goons: you have what looks to be a decent parts replacement service. I think it's available for anywhere, but shipping is probably going to really hurt.

They only accept MGs and RGs though.

I have had a lot of good experiences with this guy and his store, stuff arrives quick and is well priced. Not used the replacement service ever, but he's a nice guy and very communicative.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I really hope they make the Powered GM Cardigan into a MG kit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tenzarin posted:

I really hope they make the Powered GM Cardigan into a MG kit.

It was replaced by an SD which definitely won't get an MG. So the odds aren't totally impossible. I god-drat hope so.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Anyway, I've ordered Cardigan GM, I already have Build Burning, and now I feel obligated to get Lightning too :negative:

Friendly reminder, the Lighting Gundam doesn't come with the backpack for its transformation gimmick. You have to buy the Lightning Back Weapon System HGBC kit if you want to be able to transform it to waverider mode.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ugh, I guess I didn't know Action Bases came in different scales when I ordered my MGs forever ago. I finally finished putting together my first one and the stand is for a 1/144.

At least I don't have to buy anything for when I finish the X Maoh.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
you can still use it like a third leg.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

muike posted:

you can still use it like a third leg.
It's how I propped up my MG Exia before I fixed it. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Here's a PDF that's pretty much "Everything I Ever Wanted to Know About Building Models, and Then Some More":

http://funakatown.com/2014/11/download-my-massive-how-to-build-gunpla-guide/

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well that blows the guide I've been working on-and-off on for the last few months out of the water.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yours is still good but this one is really great for painting and high-effort stuff. It skims over a lot of information that people just starting could find useful on the actual building part.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
drat you build fighters, I thought I was gonna be done with high grade. Must order Kamfer Amazing and Powered GM Cardigan.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

PG Unicorn is looking really nice, but no green frame no sale. :colbert:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Whoever suggested a Copic Multiliner SP 0.03, thanks, this thing is great

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlitzBlast posted:

PG Unicorn is looking really nice, but no green frame no sale. :colbert:

just paint it green, people have only messed up doing that several times itt

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

And ruin the LED set-up?

There's going to be a P-Bandai PG Awakened Unicorn anyways.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

And ruin the LED set-up?

There's going to be a P-Bandai PG Awakened Unicorn anyways.

There's no way they won't make every HG and MG variant we've seen so far again in PG.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
We know there's going to be a separate Full Armor accessory package in the near future. I imagine any psyco frame variants will have to exclusives of some kind. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a general release Banshee, though, considering Bandai's love of recolors/remolds.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm not a Unicorn fan at all, but the pics of the full LED setup blazing away like some cheeseball Spencer Gifts novelty lamp have got me questioning my faith a little.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Midjack posted:

There's no way they won't make every HG and MG variant we've seen so far again in PG.

I dunno man, they only made one Astray once they got the PG mold designed, they may actually not bother.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

I dunno man, they only made one Astray once they got the PG mold designed, they may actually not bother.

They'll at least do the Banshee. They won't do the Phenex unless they do a matte, even then it's pretty doubtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

They made a P-Bandai PG Blue Frame a while back.