Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Wildtortilla posted:

Can I add a random person I'm 1v1'ing?

When the match is done hit X and then select his character and you'll see the option in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tender Bender posted:

My biggest problem is that there's a lack of stages with interesting structures, like Great Bay/Fourside/Corneria. The huge stages are cool but everything else is thin platforms over a larger platform, with too many that fly around and constantly change. Like, I enjoy Skyloft and New Mario U, but I'd enjoy them lot more if they just picked one of their locations, made it a bit more substantial and settled with that. Level transitions suck because too often you or your opponent will get caught at a bad time and the level will fly away as they're trying to recover or something.

And there's a lot of redundancy/odd choices in what they chose to bring back. Did we need Smashville or Lylat Cruise when we have new stages from those franchises, and the returning ones are really boring?

Smashville is kinda weird to bring back but it was a fan favorite from Brawl so whatever. Also Lylat and Orbital Gate Assault are entirely different, even if they are from the same franchise. Lylat is a fairly standard map with platforms and OGA is closer to Poke Floats than anything else. But I wouldn't say that Lylat and Smashville are boring; the basic maps are really good for straight up fighting and provide a good balance to some of the more elaborate newcomers like Mario Circuit.

But this game has a really good variety of stage styles. If you want substantial stages that don't move around much/at all, you've got Duck Hunt, Windy Hill, Wrecking Crew, Mario Galaxy, Gamer and Wii Fit Studio. I think a lot of the returning stages are of the more simple variety because, well, how different can a stage with three platforms be from another? Lylat is really good for what it is, there's no need to reinvent the wheel, and the map designers can spend more time making really cool and neat stages like Gamer, Orbital Gate Assault or Mushroom Kingdom U.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Pegged Lamb posted:

When the match is done hit X and then select his character and you'll see the option in there

And if you forget, the Wii U friend list has a complete list of everyone you've played with or against in any online game and you can send a friend invite from there.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Just played a handful of matches against a Wario who did absolutely nothing but ride his bike back and forth the entire time, and won every time.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You can do almost anything and knock him off his stupid bike. Projectiles or aerials or whatever. He's not wearing a seat belt.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

And disrespect Wario's hog?

I'd rather lose

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Are his farts worth putting the effort into eating stuff

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I kind of wish the lowest form of Master Core didn't make you fight Master Edges of all things. At least the 3DS version started you out with Master Scorpion Dog or whatever that form is called.

I really have no idea how I'm supposed to avoid half of Master Edges' attacks. At least very few of them launch so I guess it's supposed to just be softening you up for later forms.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Nov 23, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What are all these Masters :negative: I lose to Master Hand and Crazy Hand at least once a day

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

noirstronaut posted:

What are all these Masters :negative: I lose to Master Hand and Crazy Hand at least once a day

Have you tried blocking?

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Rocketlex posted:

I kind of wish the lowest form of Master Core didn't make you fight Master Edges of all things. At least the 3DS version started you out with Master Scorpion Dog or whatever that form is called.

I really have no idea how I'm supposed to avoid half of Master Edges' attacks. At least very few of them launch so I guess it's supposed to just be softening you up for later forms.

I have the most trouble with the sword one. Even if you shield the weaker attacks the strong one always rakes you for a ton and its hard to see how to avoid it, and that dogs in and out chomp thing is brutal

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If you're looking for equipment, moves and Mii costumes without a lot of hassle, Master Orders is a pretty good source. The challenges tend to be fairly easy up to what the game considers Hard, and completing harder challenges actually nets you multiple rewards, more than just the one listed. The only downside is that Master Hand loves to be an rear end in a top hat and reward you with duplicates of things you already have, but that's kinda every mode.

Also, here's a tip: If the prize has a "Smash Bros" icon on it, that probably means it's a Mii costume piece. Pretty much everything else will have a character icon, even if it's generic equipment like a Brawn Badge.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

Just played a handful of matches against a Wario who did absolutely nothing but ride his bike back and forth the entire time, and won every time.

This but with Ike doing his Up+B and Pikachu doing its Down+B, what a bunch of jerks.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

enojy posted:

If, while playing Wario, I discover that my opponent doesn't know how to deal with the bike, then I will pound them with it again and again, running them over, front tire-slamming them, rear tire-smacking them and varying the timing just enough that they can't easily predict it until I start to feel sorry for them (which usually takes quite a while). Nothing better than KO-ing someone with the front tire-slam then turning around and slowly cruising across the map while doing Wario's bike taunt.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

I won a Sudden Death this way. It was amazing.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Pegged Lamb posted:

Are his farts worth putting the effort into eating stuff

They absolutely are. When properly charged they can kill at low percentages, have virtually no windup, and literally no one expects them.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Squallege posted:

I won a Sudden Death this way. It was amazing.

I did the same with Charizard's side smash attack. why yes I did save that replay

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
There's a theory that Master Core is actually the shining orb on Melee and Brawl's Final Destination, which is why the orb isn't there on the one here. :aaaaa: I always figured it had some significance in the Smash-verse.

I think Amazon has more bundles at the regular price of $99.99. If you want to get one, it may be your best bet. If you want to flip the one you have, you're running out of time I'd imagine.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 23, 2014

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I kinda wish the level editor had more stuff available. Its fun subjecting goons to crappy levels.

Here's some tips.

1) X swaps between grid-locked and grid-free mode. it affects both the grid being shown on screen and how drawing stages with the stylus works.

2) Drawing straight lines makes fall-through platforms while drawing boxes draws solid ground.

3) Magma doesn't kill after a few hits like in the normal stages. meaning you can bounce between magma platforms forever.

4) Drawing with magma over blank space increases your weight a ton. its probably a bug/oversight. Put your lava only where you need it to optimize your weight capacity.

5) Another capacity issue: Stage blocks are immensely cheaper to draw as one solid block rather than multiple blocks. its kind of annoying doing this for complex shapes but helpful if you need to fit in a few more things in a level. Seems to work better with huge blocks rather than smaller ones though.

6) Stages kind of have to have an open top even if you close it down, you'll just spawn up top.

7) Player spawns seem to prefer solid blocks first, and then platforms that are nearest to the center of the stage. players spawn at the top of the center of the stage.

8) Moving platforms spawn in grid aligned but can get un-aligned if you move them in free mode. a bug? can be quite troublesome.

9) Moving platforms, say if they become un-aligned and pierce a wall a little might actually mess up collision on that wall and shoot you through it. for example ricocheting off some lava walls and you land on the platform you'll slide right through the wall. a bug?

10) You can pretty much just end walls 1 tile after after the green line with no problems if you're going for something that attaches to the end of the screen. the camera never does go past that unless you are screenshotting something. again its only for maximizing stuff you can put in a level.

11) Cannons can shoot through springs but cannons can only shoot through platforms from the bottom

Well that is most of it i guess. I really wish it didn't feel like something added on at the last moment but it probably was. Imagine the fun with more toys to play with: ladders, spikes, explosives, better moving platforms, switches, sliding blocks, rolling carts, and other hazards. also smash tour still blows. (really! it does!)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So my friend tried to start farming CDs and Custom Moves and it doesn't seem like you can. He tried the old Sandbag method, because the Sandbag can drop both, but it won't work. The Sandbag will only drop items that are marked as "On.' He tried various combinations of items to figure out what will get the Sandbag to drop the CDs and Custom Moves but in the end he found out that it'll only drop them if ALL items are on.

Basically there's no way to farm this poo poo. :(

sigher fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 23, 2014

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

How many CDs are there to collect? I just want all the music drat it. :sigh:

Unrelated, clowning on people with Villager in 1v1 will never get old. Had this one dude switching characters every fight and eventually started spamming cheap moves as he got more and more desperate to kill me.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The best way to get CDs seems to be Crazy Orders. I've gotten 1-4 of them on each of my last few runs through.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I have this weird thing where menu music doubles itself for some reason, anyone else have the problem?

I'll play a stage or anything that with no problems but when I get put back at the character select the first couple notes of the menu song plays, pauses for a second, then plays like nothing happened.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I have this weird thing where menu music doubles itself for some reason, anyone else have the problem?

I'll play a stage or anything that with no problems but when I get put back at the character select the first couple notes of the menu song plays, pauses for a second, then plays like nothing happened.

It's happened to me too. Physical disc version for what it's worth

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Does playing online take into account your My Music choices too? Or does it have the same music for both people

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Fhate posted:

If, while playing Wario, I discover that my opponent doesn't know how to deal with the bike, then I will pound them with it again and again, running them over, front tire-slamming them, rear tire-smacking them and varying the timing just enough that they can't easily predict it until I start to feel sorry for them (which usually takes quite a while). Nothing better than KO-ing someone with the front tire-slam then turning around and slowly cruising across the map while doing Wario's bike taunt.

I have a tough time with the bike as Ness :(

PK Fire doesn't seem to slow it down, neither does PK Thunder - I pretty much have to go for an aerial, or time my jump to be behind Wario as the bike stops moving and attack.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Short hop to down air should be relatively easy to pull off with Ness against the bike.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
The online play really, really, really makes this game. It's exactly what I wanted from Brawl. My friends could only take so much 1v1 no items Fox only Final Destination.

(Unfortunately I'm loving 30 so I suck at the game now.)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

online surprisingly works fine for me on WiFi but there's no way I'm gonna do "4 player final destination timed matches where 2 of the 4 players are always little mac" so oh well. Wish there were more matchmaking options for stock matches that were on interesting stages, at least put it to a vote or something for stages.

only big annoyance for me is that you have to select your profile for custom controls; so many times I'll forget to put it on and then get hosed for an Master Order or something. Wish I could permanently set ZL=grab, ZR=Shield for everything. The current default setup for them being the same thing on each row is dumb.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I really can't wait until my friends get their copies so we can beat the crap out of each other in HD with less lovely stages (3DS has...more than a few stages I dislike) and more awesome music. Because geez, this game has way too many good songs.

My main complaint about this is how bullshit some Event matches are. The one where Kirby has to eat food to heal was mentioned earlier in the thread, and I want to add to that the invisible match with Lucario because it took me a ridiculous amount of time even when I gave up on the reward. And the one-on-one matches on Hard are...well, hard. Really hard. I beat the Marth vs Lucina one entirely by mistake (she attacked me from behind while on the end of Colosseum, and I countered, so she got knocked out of the stage) and had to give up on Dark Pit vs Pit and win on a lower difficulty.

That said I could spend hours just looking at the trophies. So pretty, so much variety! And completing trophy boxes is addicting. I feel I now play entirely to get trophies to complete trophy boxes. Sakurai knows how to get my completionist heart more than any other developer.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I hate when I run into those Smash savants who are just untouchable. Had this guy just shorthopping and shielding and grabbing me all over the place and there was nothing I could do. If I tried to shield his attacks he'd just recover and grab me first somehow. Normally if someone's better than me I still at least get my hits in and have a good time but it was like he was playing a completely different game. My fingers just can't move that fast.

RyokoTK posted:

Smashville is kinda weird to bring back but it was a fan favorite from Brawl so whatever. Also Lylat and Orbital Gate Assault are entirely different, even if they are from the same franchise. Lylat is a fairly standard map with platforms and OGA is closer to Poke Floats than anything else. But I wouldn't say that Lylat and Smashville are boring; the basic maps are really good for straight up fighting and provide a good balance to some of the more elaborate newcomers like Mario Circuit.

But this game has a really good variety of stage styles. If you want substantial stages that don't move around much/at all, you've got Duck Hunt, Windy Hill, Wrecking Crew, Mario Galaxy, Gamer and Wii Fit Studio. I think a lot of the returning stages are of the more simple variety because, well, how different can a stage with three platforms be from another? Lylat is really good for what it is, there's no need to reinvent the wheel, and the map designers can spend more time making really cool and neat stages like Gamer, Orbital Gate Assault or Mushroom Kingdom U.

Eh, maybe I need to play them more but Duck Hunt, Mario Galaxy and Wii Fit Studio seem kind of featureless. Guar Plains and the larger ones like Palutena's Temple are cool because they have structure and aren't just a flat platform with things platforms above it. As for returning stages, the ones I mentioned (Great Bay, Fourside, Corneria) aren't three platforms, that's why I would've liked to see them. Temple is a good stage to bring back for example because it offers something different. Maybe the stage selection will grow on me but for now it's kinda uninspiring to look at the level select screen and see most of the options are either a few thin platforms over a larger platform, or stages where you swap through locations and spend most of the time on thin platforms over a larger platform.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 23, 2014

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

MinibarMatchman posted:

online surprisingly works fine for me on WiFi but there's no way I'm gonna do "4 player final destination timed matches where 2 of the 4 players are always little mac" so oh well. Wish there were more matchmaking options for stock matches that were on interesting stages, at least put it to a vote or something for stages.

FWIW I haven't had more than a handful of online matches where there are multiple Little Macs and I've been playing quite a bit online. And if you play "For Fun" you won't be playing on only FD and friends.

I do wish there were more options for online though.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I bought a third party GameCube controller adapter a while ago for mario kart. My adaptor plugs into a wiimote so the game reads my GameCube controller as a wiimote. The wiimote controller options do not allow turning off tap-to-jump.

Is there a work around? Or do I need to adapt?

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Is there an irc where goons are congregating? I dont think I saw anything in the OP or the OP for the 3ds version.

My NNID is TarantulaHawk, probably be online on and off today.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Lame Devil posted:

I bought a third party GameCube controller adapter a while ago for mario kart. My adaptor plugs into a wiimote so the game reads my GameCube controller as a wiimote. The wiimote controller options do not allow turning off tap-to-jump.

Is there a work around? Or do I need to adapt?

I think it reads as a Classic Controller if it has to pass through the Wiimote to work. I have no idea if that information is useful or not. I could try myself since we have the same one (probably; Mayflash?) but I am a lazy man.

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

noirstronaut posted:

I think it reads as a Classic Controller if it has to pass through the Wiimote to work. I have no idea if that information is useful or not. I could try myself since we have the same one (probably; Mayflash?) but I am a lazy man.

Yesssss. You are right. No more accidental jumping for me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What in god's name am I supposed to do in the Wrecking Mario event? It's not killing the Warios, and I spent two minutes blowing up bombs to no avail.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I didn't play much Yoshi in the 3DS version.

Holy gently caress he's strong in this game :stare:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Blaze Dragon posted:

My main complaint about this is how bullshit some Event matches are. The one where Kirby has to eat food to heal was mentioned earlier in the thread,

I can't even beat that poo poo on easy, whereas I've beaten most of the others on hard. I don't know if it's ever gonna happen; it's too annoying to play. I mean I have a Sixty Five Inch TV, and I still can't make out the food when the camera pans all the loving way out.

Calaveron posted:

What in god's name am I supposed to do in the Wrecking Mario event? It's not killing the Warios, and I spent two minutes blowing up bombs to no avail.

You just keep hitting bombs until the game decides you've successfully wrecked the building. I think getting all of the hammers (thus keeping them away from Wario) is key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

enojy posted:

You just keep hitting bombs until the game decides you've successfully wrecked the building. I think getting all of the hammers (thus keeping them away from Wario) is key.

I'm pretty sure there's a set number of floors to the building, it's just a really high number and takes forever to complete. Letting the Warios grab the hammers can be helpful, too. They can't climb ladders with the hammer, so you get some breathing room. They'll also detonate any bombs they pass with it.

• Locked thread