Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

it pretty much comes down to whoever starts the engagement with the energy advantage

That can be said about virtually any plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
109s are my favorite WWII plane but I'm sorry, P-51s are just plain better and in a situation where both players are experienced and on the same skill level, the Mustang will win. This is assuming that it has the fuel and ammo, which is highly likely unless the thing hasn't landed for over half an hour of aggressive flying.

And yeah, the energy advantage is the biggest deciding factor in any 1v1 dogfight.

Thief fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 22, 2014

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

FaustianQ posted:

Which it'll promptly bleed speed from while the BF109 just regains it within a few moments. The P-51 has an energy retention advantage and a max speed advantage, while the BF109 has advantages in every other category, including ones important for dogtfighting. With two players of equal skill, the BF109 will almost always win.

Not really. With pilots of equal skill, the P-51 has the advantage of being able to just ~fly away~ if it loses the advantage. The reason why you see 109s beating P-51s most of the time is because most P-51 pilots are literally retarded and can't do anything more advanced than a flat turn.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Asproigerosis posted:

Is there a place/game mode where stukas aren't depressingly lackluster to fly?

http://youtu.be/z3J4hxo8a5s
http://gfycat.com/SillyTestyCrocodileskink
http://gfycat.com/LegitimateDefiantJaguar

The D-5 owns in sim mode. Load stealth belts since you'll never run out of ammo and go to town.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Asproigerosis posted:

Generally what I learned from playing SB for a while now.

There is literally no plane that is not viable in sim. Dual prop fighters have actually a place, lovely jets can get quite easy kills. SB is a blast, the new system makes queue times really short, and they are more often than not over faster than RBs and much more exciting.

Get a buddy and shoot some poo poo.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

All Stukas in RB own in their own special way and if you can't appreciate that :frogout:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
In an 1v1 between a P-51 and a 109, with both planes being even energy-wise, I would engage in a turnfight in the P-51 every time. In the 109 I would just hope to be able to climb away to gain the altitude advantage that I need. Being nimbler than your opponent does matter, actually.
Both are good planes. They own.

If we are disregarding just blasting bads in a lovely fur ball or doing head-ons, a 190 absolutely need an altitude advantage to fight anybody. Even then, if you are fighting anybody decent in a decent plane you will still have a tough time killing them. A plane using the elevator will forever avoid you, because yours barely works.

Regarding the P-47 vs a 190: I would say the P-47 can definitely out turn/dogfight a plane that is garbage at dogfighting, like the P-38 or the 190. You wouldn't fly a P-47 that way, if you didn't have to, but you can.
Maybe the two early variants of the 190 are better at dogfighting, but I've spaded those and will probably never fly them again.

related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxGyMw0Y3Q

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
^^^^
It depends a lot on which 109 is facing the P51. A F4 will fight the P51 in a quite different way than a K4.

Fart Car '97 posted:

People parrot the 'P-51 doesn't turn as well as the 109s' mantra but that is only the case at low speeds.

Yeah a fight against a P51 in a 109 K4 is a something you have a hard time winning if the other pilot is smart. A 109 F4 will have an easier time with a P51, since it's more agile. For the same reason the 109F4 can also outmaneuver Beercans with ease. You tend to be on the defense against them. Since they won't attack you if they are at an energy disadvantage. So you have to "invite" them for combat to happen. Dumb pilots are always easy to beat, see: US jets.

Also FW 190 talk:
While the later 190s certainly do face stiff opposition (to put it mildly). The early 190s (especially the A-4) can be a vital part to a team. The amount of firepower and ammo supply do allow them to "spray and pray", similar to what the Tigercat can do. And it also means being able to shoot down lots of targets per round, without going back to base. Similar to the P47. The downside is that a lone 190 will have a hard time killing more agile opponents that know what they are doing.
Being able to swoop in at 800 kph allows a 190 to "appear out of nowhere" and kill people "with one shot". Especially if those are already tunnelvisioned at an "easy target". Flying an early 109, Yak-1 or Mc202 as bait can be fun.

190s are also very agile at high speeds and can pull absurd G-loads, making it "easy" to bag kills on those who just dive away from an attack. They also zoomclimb extremely well, thanks to being nearly twice as heavy as 109s. Allowing them to pounce on lower targets without having to fear a counter attack.

Summary:
Fly a tag team of the Mc202 and Fw190 A-4 and have fun. It works extremely well.

How-to:
1) Climb together, with the Mc202 slightly in front.
2) Dodge the head-ons with the Mc202 (nobody fears a head-on of a Falgore), draw them a bit off to the side.
3) 190 slaughters people turning after the Mc202 or enters head-ons (and wins).
4) Enemies have lost a lot of Energy and are now easy targets.
5) Rest of team arrives and has fun
6) Win.

How not to:
Lose, that's bad and gruesome.

Optional:
Shoot pubbies with the Pasta guns. Also rope-a-dope em with the FW 190 1.5km away. Then watch them explode.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

The first time I saw this I wondered how anyone could be that terrible, but now when I look at it I think that it must be due to some horrible lag/desync. The way that guy bounces around when he shoots is something I see when spectating other goons, just to a lesser degree. Basically Gaijin strikes again.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

It was an old bug when spectating other players. They were actually shooting straight. It still happens sometimes with AAA tracers and sometimes it will just start firing randomly into the sky for the remainder of the round.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I'm getting back into this. What's the best pack to get at this point? I've got Tier 2/3 planes mostly unlocked for most of the nations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Ace Advanced is best value for money, otherwise whatever has a plane(s) you're interested in :shrug:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

So I'm getting back into this. What's the best pack to get at this point? I've got Tier 2/3 planes mostly unlocked for most of the nations.

Definitely the russian shop.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Sitting on a runway watching 6 bombing passes fail to kill a single medium tank that is preventing us from capping is a treasure I will value for a long time.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

God Bless The United States Of America

e: spot the shameful goon

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Michaellaneous posted:

Generally what I learned from playing SB for a while now.

There is literally no plane that is not viable in sim. Dual prop fighters have actually a place, lovely jets can get quite easy kills. SB is a blast, the new system makes queue times really short, and they are more often than not over faster than RBs and much more exciting.

Get a buddy and shoot some poo poo.

What kind of setup are you using for sim?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Szcwczuk posted:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Flying the current Event with the P40 = fun.
Forgetting that your ISP sheduled maintenance while flying in a squad = stupid.

also :911: (spot the shameful goon without an airkill)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Flying the current Event at all = fun

FTFY. We had the morning crew dominating in P-40s and A6M2s. Our only two losses were based on forgetting that it's not only about shooting down players and that killing enough bots actually can matter if you kill the players too slowly.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Controller worth way more than the game because the game was awful lol

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How the gently caress do Spawn Points work in RB? I'm just getting back into tanking and playing after a few months off and I have no idea how this new respawn system handles.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I missed you in an american game bbjoey, you didn't load in it seemed. Three kills in p47d, you would have been proud :D

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

My net crashed out because Australian internet infrastructure is Good & Reliable. :smith:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Turn away all asylum-seeking packets.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Lassar Responds: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.p...30#entry3692519

1) Admission to hosed up Hs129 and 229 DM, like people have told them ever since the 129s were implemented
2) Gun-toting Canberras and derived in 1.45 quite possibly
3) MC.205 confirmed
4) Bombs not being right/different country to country under investigation
5) "Do something about ridiculous B57s in RB please" - "Some changes will be after 1.45"

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

4x20mm Canberra seems like it'd be hilarious, the only downside is it looks like the cannons are on the very tips of the wings so convergence is gonna mean more than usual

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Night10194 posted:

How the gently caress do Spawn Points work in RB? I'm just getting back into tanking and playing after a few months off and I have no idea how this new respawn system handles.

You earn more points through hits/kills/capping and different vehicles cost different amounts to spawn. Planes are generally the most expensive, AAA is generally the cheapest. You can respawn in RB if you have enough points to buy another vehicle when you die. Don't be too careless in the beginning of the game - people who die early tend to be out of the match without the points to return. On the plus side heavies are a little more competitive after mediums lost their inherent multiple spawns, though it's much easier to work up the points for a second spawn if you started in a medium (cheaper).

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 23, 2014

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

3) MC.205 confirmed

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

3) MC.205 confirmed

Have to wait until the Italian Tech Tree though and gently caress knows how long that will take. :italy:

e: the real prize is the G.56 which was only a prototype but had 3 MG151s, top speed of 700km/h and outmaneuvered the 109G. Please gaijin :ohdear:

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 23, 2014

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

quote:

3. A little while back a bug was found where X-ray was available for planes (It has since been fixed unfortunately

3. Because you found this feature too early. We are going to introduse it in 1.45. With all dm fixes.

Cool.

e: vvvvv I was quoting to point out the "introducing DM viewer" bit, I think we all know by now the damage model situation

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 23, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think it's good that in 1.45 they are going to completely fix all damage models, yep.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Or at least stick to arcade mode until they realize their stupid 5v5 RB mode is dumb, or that it should at least always be on Kursk.

Sard
May 11, 2012

:psypop:

I didn't think it was possible to lose the Pearl Harbor event twice in a row, but Russia has once more exceeded expectations and queuing on the RU server to finish my A6M2 skin unlock ended with not two but three instances of the Japanese team being shot down entirely. Once with only myself and another having any kills. The third one because we only had four Zeroes against a dozen US fighters, thank you B5N2 torpedo squads.
It's okay, though. Now my virtual toy plane looks a little cooler and the only time anyone will notice is if I really screw up and am about to die.

:japan:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Szcwczuk posted:

X55 and TrackIR5

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Is there a point to the tanks with 20mm cannons?

Yeah. With AP belts and careful aim, they can kill, but you have to be surgical with your shots. The general idea is that these kinds of tanks either kill by repeatedly making GBS threads on the one weak spot with really quick shooting, or by knocking out an enemy's ability to fight. If you can't damage a tank, then you'll at least be the toast of the team when you make some big beast's cannon look like a banana peel.

My goodness it's getting hot in here. A few things:

-I'm wondering how the M15 is going to work. Hopefully, it'll be like an AA version of the T-35, where you can shoot the 37mm and .50s separately. Mostly just because I want to.
-M103 in tonk HD yes.
-Shooting in the M3 med. is gonna be kind of wonky in sniper mode.
-I'm guessing they're going to stick with the first test turret on the T32, or that thing will be unbalanced as hell. I know WoT is a bad barometer to go by, but yeesh.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What is the proper way to play the heavy fighters/attackers? They can't kill tanks, and are too slow and plodding to dog fight or intercept bombers. Or am I just misunderstanding.

Basically I just want to roleplay my Me 410 fantasies

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 23, 2014

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

pubbie moron posted:

Is there any ETA for LaGG-3 series 1 which is in current russian ASAP tree?

There are like 6 versions of the same lovely plane but yeah lets ask if they're working on another one.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Asproigerosis posted:

What is the proper way to play the heavy fighters/attackers? They can't kill tanks, and are too slow and plodding to dog fight or intercept bombers. Or am I just misunderstanding.

Basically I just want to roleplay my Me 410 fantasies

Heavy fighters are only really useful in SB. For arcade they pack a decent punch I guess and in RB they will get poo poo over by any halfway decent fighter.

see: Sneak up on enemy plane and blast with multitude of guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hmm, this sim joystick stuff, is it basically just 3rd party mouse aim?

• Locked thread