Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
God drat, very last chance at a topdeck off of Jeskai Ascendancy triggers, and Ivan finally topdecks the Springleaf Drum he needed to actually generate the mana to go infinite. From an empty board and 4 mana to start the turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Elyv posted:

The Forest was attached though.

Oh, I misread which card was floating over on the side.
Mtgo is dumb sometimes.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I know this is old news now but man it's gonna suck when I'm not gonna be able to look forward to guaranteed Legacy coverage streaming every weekend. There was honestly no better way to spend a lazy Sunday.

Yeah, after the Texans play I don't have enough of an interest to watch more football. Well, not over Tom Ross piloting Infect or Joe Loesset playing Miracles. :allears:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Jonked posted:

Played someone who got handed that deck, although I didn't see the Ascendancy or Cut. I would have beat him with Temur Prowess Punch if hadn't Dead Drop'd me the turn before I could kill him with my two dudes on the board.

I know all the reasons why Dead Drop isn't a great card, but drat if it isn't back-breaking in the right situation.

Every time I thought about removing Dead Drop from my deck in favor of a yeti or something I'd barely win a game thanks to it. I was also sorely lacking in good removal beyond the Cut.

But yeah most games it ended up being a dead (heh) card in my hand. It's way too slow for Mardu aggro and I definitely should have grabbed something else. Lesson learned v:shobon:v

Serperoth posted:

So Wizards had a Facebook thing where they asked for players' favourite Commanders.

Here's the ones with the most likes.

They forgot Phage.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Toshimo posted:

Most of the decks I've seen on stream in any format are running a handful of 8 mana spells at this point which is why Bob is seeing substantially less play post-Theros (also, burn/aggro getting better).

The meta is generally shifting away from Bob in a lot of little ways. Especially in Modern, where the decks he works best in are grindy attrition decks that want to 1-for-1 their opponent all day-- when someone can refuel with Cruise and Dig that strategy is a lot less appealing. Couple that with the life loss being more relevant in a more aggressive meta and the expensive Delve cards people want to run it's becoming hard on poor Bob. If Cruise gets banned in any format I'd expect to see a corresponding resurgence in that format.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Maybe with cruise and dtt it is duskmantle seer's time to shine

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Has anyone every used Massdrop.com? They have a deal on 600 dragon shield sleeves, I just can't figure out if they ship to EU or how much it's gonna be. Any experiences?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The match camera for GP Ottawa is actually really good for once, they have a nice elegant clean looking table and for once they've angled lighting and such so there's no glare on the cards.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

lockdar posted:

Has anyone every used Massdrop.com? They have a deal on 600 dragon shield sleeves, I just can't figure out if they ship to EU or how much it's gonna be. Any experiences?

It's good, but a little slow since you have to wait for the drop to finish for the order to begin getting fulfilled. I'd expect to wait 2-3 weeks for things to arrive after joining the drop. .

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Owen Turtenwald's opponent has an insane deck.
End Hostilities, Siege Rhino, Crater's Claws and Sagu Mauler, Ghostfire Blade

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

lockdar posted:

Yeah, I'll echo oryx's comments. I've bought a few boxes and unless the drop sells out early, you're waiting until the end then shipping time, so can be slower then normal.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Elyv posted:

Cheon had a colorless Forest attached to his opponent's Tradewind Rider which worked exactly like a normal forest except it was attached to the rider. Also for some reason the Song was just floating off on his opponent's side of the field instead of attached to the Fetters.

It's just displaying wrong. It's on the known issues list.

quote:

C14 | Song of the Dryads enchanting another aura appears incorrectly. The card functions correctly. —scheduled 12/3

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mordieth posted:

I love how he thinks you swords your own guys to gain life and that you randomly have 10 cmc spells in your deck (even without bob!)

In hearthstone, curves are way higher, A control deck is like half 5cmc+. And, all the good bombs are ~10 mana. It's just a consequence of the difference between the mana system in magic and in hearthstone.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mordieth posted:

I love how he thinks you swords your own guys to gain life and that you randomly have 10 cmc spells in your deck (even without bob!)

To be fair, since Hearthstone doesn't have lands and you just gain a mana every turn, decks can afford to run a much wider curve of stuff. There are aggressive decks (not like the turbo-aggressive but still, they're the beatdown) who look to put away the game with a 9 mana play. You don't want to run so many expensive cards that you have no action in the early game, but it's not like RDW where you just straight up can't play expensive things because you won't have the mana.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Steven Dupal with the disgusting topdecks.

Out-Topdecking his opponent twice.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

Steven Dupal with the disgusting topdecks.

Out-Topdecking his opponent twice.

That was some of the most amazing back and forth that I've ever seen. Dupal should've put it away free and clear, though, after his opponent missed land 3 and got his caryatid crackling doomed. But it led to that ending, so I'm satisfied.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Isamaru really is one of the best commanders. He's also in the color of tutoring equipment and enchantments so he's really more like a 5 turn clock. Besides the obvious ways to buff him, put Godsend on him and the other player is hosed. Also, your wrath effects are dope as hell when your commander is dirt cheap. When things aren't going your way, clear the board, he's only going to cost 3 to get him out again anyway. poo poo, have a mana rock out, you can break your opponents with Armageddon.

My favorite Isamaru story is my Zur vs. another guy's Isamaru and 3 other people (every game with Zur is Zur vs. everyone.) Isamaru decides to attack me, despite me warning him this is a bad idea and he should attack someone else. So I take 5, phase Zur out on my upkeep, Miracle the Terminus I had been floating with Top the whole game, and laugh while he does nothing for the rest of the game because his entire deck revolves around having his commander in play.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
People who play Zur are not welcome in our commander games :colbert:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

People who play Zur are not welcome in our commander games :colbert:

I'm new to EDH, how does Zur go off now?

Is it similar to the Niv Mizzet/Curiosity xombo which basically comes down to nobody has fun?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
He just gets gross card advantage and it is tough to stop. Fun fact: you can put pacifism onto uril the mist stalker with zur's triggered ability!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Wait. People play tuck effects as written against commanders? That is ridiculous. Might as well let people exile them too.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That's the whole point of them making more in the commander sets

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Did owen turtlenwald just fail to flip his morph at the end of the game?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I approve of the direction of Ali Aintrazi's UB Control list.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

I'm new to EDH, how does Zur go off now?

Is it similar to the Niv Mizzet/Curiosity xombo which basically comes down to nobody has fun?

He doesn't "go off" he's just an absurd card. Every single turn you get a free card just for attacking with him. And since you have Phasing, Diplomatic Immunity, etc on him, he's not ever going away. Also my usual combo is RiP, Energy Field, Greater Auramancy, Copy Enchantment on Greater Auramancy, Karmic Justice. Basically, nothing is ever going to hurt me and if it blows me stuff, it's basically a guaranteed board wipe. I don't ever actually win, people just scoop. Once I Blue Sun'd someone for a lethal 43.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Wait. People play tuck effects as written against commanders? That is ridiculous. Might as well let people exile them too.

If I die to 10 poison damage, you're putting your stupid dragon on the bottom of your deck. :colbert:

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 23, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Fair enough.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

If I die to 10 poison damage, you're putting your stupid dragon on the bottom of your deck. :colbert:

Can I just sac Bosh with Grafted Exoskeleton equipped and then copy the effect with Rings of Brightearth instead?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Serperoth posted:

So Wizards had a Facebook thing where they asked for players' favourite Commanders.

Here's the ones with the most likes.

That's old Sliver tech. New hotness is the Hivelord. So much fun.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
If anyone has interest, there's a lot of a bunch of Quinton Hoover sketches on auction ending in about an hour on Ebay.

Also :smith:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A big flaming stink posted:

If anyone has interest, there's a lot of a bunch of Quinton Hoover sketches on auction ending in about an hour on Ebay.

Also :smith:

Man, :smith:.

I took a look, there are artist proofs, some stories he did for a writing class, and sketches of non-MTG stuff he did. I love his art, but it seems really grim to buy his rough sketches and stuff like that.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

theironjef posted:

That's old Sliver tech. New hotness is the Hivelord. So much fun.

Overlord can fetch for Hivelord, but Hivelord can't fetch Overlord. It is significantly cheaper though.
Also, Sliver Queen is on the Reserved List, which makes me sad.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cube sucks

EDIT: Cube probably doesn't suck, but when you play 3 rounds of Cube and only get to play 3 games, poo poo sucks

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 23, 2014

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck
I'm probably being really dumb, but i can't work out how to get into a game of cube on mtgo? can someone give me a dummy's guide? It doesn't seem to have any events running?

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Cauldron Moose posted:

I'm probably being really dumb, but i can't work out how to get into a game of cube on mtgo? can someone give me a dummy's guide? It doesn't seem to have any events running?

In the limited events queue, look for an event titled Legacy Cube. There is a Swiss and Elimination queue for whatever you want to play.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

Sotar posted:

In the limited events queue, look for an event titled Legacy Cube. There is a Swiss and Elimination queue for whatever you want to play.

I swear i did that last time, but i found it now. Maybe it was being slow to load and I was being impatient. Thanks!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cauldron Moose posted:

I swear i did that last time, but i found it now. Maybe it was being slow to load and I was being impatient. Thanks!

Sometimes it just kinda doesn't show you what it's supposed to. I've tried to get into a draft and gotten constructed vintage queues before. Moving away from that screen or restarting will fix it.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

Sotar posted:

I gotta say cube is a blast. I just had the most amazing things happen. It's round 3, game 2, and we both know the other is playing a ton of ramp in green. I was keeping a very risky hand - 3 Forest, Sylvan Library, Elesh Norn, Progenitus, Garruk, Apex Hunter. I figure if i can use Sylvan Library to draw some ramp or a way of cheating something out I'll be good.

He plays turn 2 Sylvan Caryatid, I play T2 Sylvan Library.

His turn 3, he plays Eureka. I just start laughing.

https://imgur.com/gallery/uW7Dy/

Now to go do it all over again!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

My old group actually did some rules modifications around things like infect. It's clearly intended to be half your life total, so in commander it's 20 poison counters to die. Same goes for Sorin Markov's -3 ability, which we errata to say, "Target opponent's life total becomes half their starting life total," since it's pretty busted otherwise and we didn't want to outright ban the card. But to be fair, we do that with Serra Ascendant and Felidar Sovereign, otherwise something like my Oloro deck could abuse that and just win on turn 3 or 4 if no one just has removal sitting in hand.

We do tuck commanders, though. Sometimes Terminus is your only defense against some shenanigans.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My old group actually did some rules modifications around things like infect. It's clearly intended to be half your life total, so in commander it's 20 poison counters to die. Same goes for Sorin Markov's -3 ability, which we errata to say, "Target opponent's life total becomes half their starting life total," since it's pretty busted otherwise and we didn't want to outright ban the card. But to be fair, we do that with Serra Ascendant and Felidar Sovereign, otherwise something like my Oloro deck could abuse that and just win on turn 3 or 4 if no one just has removal sitting in hand.

We do tuck commanders, though. Sometimes Terminus is your only defense against some shenanigans.

You aren't playing EDH/Commander at that point, though. You're playing freeform.

You can play that all you want, but calling it Commander/EDH is disingenuous and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

How dare you insult the good name of Commander, Baron!

• Locked thread