Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not limited to Africa, so the resolution isn't as good as it could be, but it does have the advantage of covering 5000 years. Obviously this is based on population growth models and whatever records remain, and not a set of complete census data, but it looks sensible enough at first glance.
drat that's a cool map set. It shouldn't be hidden behind a link:

On the current subject of diseases- check out Mexico between 1500 and 1600 for something depressing.

How hard would it be to make a gif of this? It'd be really neat to see this in sequence.

Generation Internet posted:

Australia: "gently caress off, we're full"
In fairness, Australia is really ecologically fragile and almost entirely unsuited for human habitation. It's probably already pretty overpopulated for what its environment can support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eiba posted:

In fairness, Australia is really ecologically fragile and almost entirely unsuited for human habitation. It's probably already pretty overpopulated for what its environment can support.
Yeah, I recall reading that a sustainable Australian population is around 15 million (given their current impact), so they're already 50% over capacity as is. Assuming I recall correctly, and that it was sound science.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Generation Internet might be on to something. Asylum seekers are allowed to stay, provided they colonize the Australian interior. I don't see how it could go wrong.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Eiba posted:

How hard would it be to make a gif of this? It'd be really neat to see this in sequence.

Not too hard.

With speed options

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 23, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
^^ :mad:

i'm kinda curious about how accurate it is though. i thought that strip along russia only came about 'cause of the trans-siberian railway? and i might be completely wrong on this but i have the recollection that the andes were always the more populous part of pre-colombian america

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 23, 2014

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Koramei posted:

i'm kinda curious about how accurate it is though. i thought that strip along russia only came about 'cause of the trans-siberian railway? and i might be completely wrong on this but i have the recollection that the andes were always the more populous part of pre-colombian america

Before the Trans-siberian was built people usually travelled in boats along the many rivers in the region. Presumably people would settle the riverbanks as well.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Phlegmish posted:

Generation Internet might be on to something. Asylum seekers are allowed to stay, provided they colonize the Australian interior. I don't see how it could go wrong.

Similarly, as a Canadian, I propose we colonize the north as fast as the permafrost melts. We must secure our sovereignty over the Northwest passage.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Not to mention above the strip is Siberia and below it is the Taklamakan & Gobi deserts. So it might be less that people settled along the railroad so much as they built the railroad along the only habitable strip in their territory.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Albino Squirrel posted:

As it turns out there was importation of diseases from the Americas to Europe; syphilis is (probably) native to the Americas. It is, however, the only clinically relevant pandemic native to the Americas.

For whatever reason, the diseases native to the Old World were substantially more virulent than those in the New. Maybe because of longer human habitation/co-evolution time?

I think the most important factor here was human proximity to domesticated animals, in Eurasia you had way more species domesticated by people that played a much larger role in day-to-day life and formed a larger part of the diet. In Eurasia there were pigs, goats, cattle, sheep, fowl, horses, camels, dogs etc etc, comparatively in America you had only Llamas, dogs, Turkeys, Guinea pigs and that's about it (I think some parts of Peru had muscovy ducks as well?). Because people lived very closely with their animals, sometimes right alongside them at winter, it was very easy for diseases to jump between them, Measles for example derived from rinderpest that effects cattle. The presence of animals like horses also made long range communication, trade and warfare much easier among various people of Eurasia compared to the Americas, thus diseases could be spread easier. So yeah, when it came to it Eurasians lived in a world way more conductive to incubating disease over the millenia and spreading them out over the landmass, while Native Americans had to deal with thousands of years worth of Smallpox, Measles, Cholera, Diphtheria and a whole lot else crashing into them over a few decades and without any resistance.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Koramei posted:

The population of pre-Columbian americas is basically a guessing game and estimates range from 10 million to 200 million. Mesoamerica did probably have a higher population than the Andes though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Geshtal posted:

Not to mention above the strip is Siberia and below it is the Taklamakan & Gobi deserts. So it might be less that people settled along the railroad so much as they built the railroad along the only habitable strip in their territory.

Yeah, the railroad took a very long time to finish (about 25 years), and as a result it was designed so that it would have ends of phases mostly close to any existing population centers along the general route. Although it was also designed to minimize the need to buy private land, and as such avoided actually entering prominent towns and cities most of the time, and even bypassed the most major city along the way, Tomsk (though that was more due to Tomsk being nearby a portion of the Ob river with very marshy and unstable banks that they couldn't handle crossing by rail).

The city built where the railroad crossed that river, Novosibirsk, is these days 3 times larger than Tomsk is. It would probably be even more if further developments during the Soviet era hadn't provided Tomsk with somewhat better rail and road connections, as it was Tomsk was at the end of a dead end line connected to the Trans-Siberian.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Similarly, as a Canadian, I propose we colonize the north as fast as the permafrost melts. We must secure our sovereignty over the Northwest passage.

It's all Denmark's! :argh: :denmark:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Denmark is the country that couldn't even properly colonize Greenland, where all of five people live. I don't think they're going to be major geopolitical players anytime soon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Torrannor posted:

It's all Denmark's! :argh: :denmark:
When Charles succeeds to the throne, the House of Glücksburg will rule 3 of the claimants to the Arctic. :canada::hf::norway::hf::denmark:

Phlegmish posted:

Denmark is the country that couldn't even properly colonize Greenland, where all of five people live. I don't think they're going to be major geopolitical players anytime soon.
Yeah, we could've made a killing selling authentic Inuit hands.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

I always love how obvious major river valleys are on population density charts and the historical data just makes it more so. I mean in the pre modern maps you can see the individual rivers in the Punjab

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, we could've made a killing selling authentic Inuit hands.

The DRC is considered to be 'the most populous French-speaking country outside of France' (even with half of its population being incapable of speaking the official language), which is quite the accomplishment for such a small state when you think about it.

Here is the approximate geographical distribution of the four national languages of the DRC:

I actually didn't know Swahili reached that far west.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

System Metternich posted:

The article you linked referred to this map of Serbia by ethnicity:

What's up with the northern tip of Mionica which is apparently majority Roma?

Theres another majority Roma sliver in Kursumlija.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Albino Squirrel posted:

As it turns out there was importation of diseases from the Americas to Europe; syphilis is (probably) native to the Americas. It is, however, the only clinically relevant pandemic native to the Americas.

For whatever reason, the diseases native to the Old World were substantially more virulent than those in the New. Maybe because of longer human habitation/co-evolution time?

Domestication of animals. Pre-Colombian America had only domesticated dogs and llamas, they basically didn't have any other animals. Turns out animals are the source of most of the really horrible diseases

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Let's play guess the map!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Do you know when was this map was made?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

King Hong Kong posted:

looks like it's basing it's "this area is uninhabitable by the white man" suppositions on european death rates in Africa before quinine came into use as an anti-malarial prophylactic, so probably before the late 1870s. just in time for the Powers to use while they carved up Africa!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

zeal posted:

looks like it's basing it's "this area is uninhabitable by the white man" suppositions on european death rates in Africa before quinine came into use as an anti-malarial prophylactic, so probably before the late 1870s. just in time for the Powers to use while they carved up Africa!

I found a source saying 1899 but was not sure. Note that the colonies are labeled, so it couldn't be before the 1880s.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

King Hong Kong posted:

It has "Italian Somaliland" so no earlier than 1889, and it has "Congo State," which I take to mean the Congo Free State, so it's no later than 1908.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
The map is from 1899 (or possibly the 1905 reprint) and comes out of a book entitled "A history of the colonization of Africa by alien races", the 1913 update/reprint (which has "Belgian Congo" in place of "Congo State") of which is on Archive.org.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So what's up with the very centre of Madagascar?

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

BBJoey posted:

That appears to be the area around Antananarivo, which has been the largest population center on the island for several hundred years. The high altitude (~4200 ft) substantially inhibits malaria transmission.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Koramei posted:

It's not the most accurate at getting across population density in the Phoenix Basin and American Bottom around AD 1000, you'd be looking at about 20-30,000 people in the modern Phoenix area and about 120,000 in the St. Louis area based on most estimates.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Squalid posted:

However Sleeping Sickness, spread by the tsetse fly, is to my knowledge confined to Africa. And Sleeping Sickness, besides being extremely dangerous for humans, can kill most large domestic animals in a few days. It was so deadly for horses and donkeys that much of Sub-Saharan Africa was essentially off limits for the animals. Here's a map of the distribution of Sleeping Sickness in Africa:

Huh, I just noticed that this map most definitely qualifies as a politically-loaded map since it calls one of the strains the "Rhodesian strain". I can see why changing the name to "Zimbabwean strain" might cause potentially deadly problems/mixups (you then have one strain with two different names which can cause paperwork mixups, people using both names, confusion over whether they're same thing or not, people not getting treatment that they should, etc) but it's still a reminder of just how deep some of this poo poo goes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don't think it's much of an honour to your old oppressors if the subject is a virulent disease

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I have a map, made by the government of Canada, which claims the above as their "exclusive economic zone" but claims as actual territory a triangle with a point at the north pole itself.

That population map over time is really cool too. I'm surprised the area around Nigeria isn't populated earlier or more quickly. And that in 3000BC, Germancy is apparently more densely populated that Mesopotamia? How accurately can these numbers be known?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BBJoey posted:

It's really really pleasant and pretty bug free up there in the highlands.

Jon Leibowitz
Feb 11, 2004

They could dust off the Roblin City plan, which would have been a Baroque metropolis of 500,000 people with parks and promenades, on the site of what became Churchill.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/poll-how-americans-feel-about-the-states-2013-8 posted:

We asked respondents — 1603 of them — to answer each question with a state that wasn’t their own. The poll was carried out using SurveyMonkey’s Audience feature, which was more accurate predicting the 2012 election than numerous traditional pollsters.

They should do it for Europe too but wars have broken out for less over here.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Somehow that answer seems really obvious. I'm guessing Bavaria would be black on the German version of the map.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, if you want a war, ask which country people want to have kicked out of the European Union.

For a more interesting question: which state or country would you like to join the USA or the EU?

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Well, if you want a war, ask which country people want to have kicked out of the European Union.

For a more interesting question: which state or country would you like to join the USA or the EU?

Puerto Rico because they're very close to being a state, because it would strike a blow to all the 'English-only' nonsense coming out of right wing politicians, and because I just want to see what adding a state is like in my lifetime and they're the territory with the closest status to that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm sure the USA would gladly welcome the United Kingdom as Airstrip One, our 51st state.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is saying I want the USA to join the EU and the EU to become an American state a valid option?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone could civilly agree on the United Kingdom.

Carbon dioxide posted:

That's even easier, it's Norway for all of that sweet, sweet oil money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

cebrail posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone could civilly agree on the United Kingdom.

The reality is probably closer to a more or less even shade across the entire map of Europe.

DarkCrawler posted:

Well, it was born here.

Also, were Europeans. White vs black/brown is kid stuff. Back here we've gotten used to brutally eradicating people who look like us, speak the same language and are probably related to us, just for the reason that they happen to have a different way of worshiping the exact same deity. Or you know we might actually be countrymen for thousands of years right down to the oddly specific branch of another branch of an religion but some of the countrymen happen to adopt a slightly different political philosophy and there we go again.

I mean we could just stick with hating people based on their melanin count like you guys but it's just so easy. I don't think what Europe has been doing can really be called "racism" anymore as it's just some weird general unfocused hatred that shifts main targets every 20 years or so. Some constants remain (the Roma for example are just hated by pretty much everyone) but say a hundred years ago if you put a Frenchman in the same room with a Brit, a German and a Jew, held a gun to his head and told him that he has to slit the throat of one of the others, his only complaint would be that he wouldn't be allowed to do them all.

I know people tend to be all "Europe is oh so civilized compared to America" but really, compared to us you're a bright bastion of racial harmony and tolerance. We're just focused our particular bigotries to such weird, specific degrees and change them every half a century that it's harder to pick up. U.S. is basically a drunken teenager drawing swastikas in the subway. Europe is fifty identical clones of Arthur de Gobineau who all hate each other.