Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jebeebus posted:

this also applies to his EX lightning legs : )

I prefer the tanden because its not as unsafe on block if you misread the fireball. Both will break armor, but tanden slightly out ranges it.

Legs is probably the more reliable punish since has the invincibility so much faster and tanden can get hit out of startup.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
All versions of Tanden Engine have some projectile invincibility, also EX versions costs 2 bars instead of 1 like a normal EX move which is enough of a reason in itself not to use it too much. EX lightning legs is actually a ridiculously good move when used on reaction to a lot of things.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
wait... EX tanden costs 2 bars??? since when... are you makin' poo poo up Trykt??? and also drat, the USF4 frame data app is saying EX tanden is normal cancelable wat

(i don't have access to this game for a while to test for myself)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jebeebus posted:

wait... EX tanden costs 2 bars??? since when... are you makin' poo poo up Trykt??? and also drat, the USF4 frame data app is saying EX tanden is normal cancelable wat

(i don't have access to this game for a while to test for myself)

yes to both, i just tested it

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
that's um... v.good to know, thanks

(yet another reason why i'm so bad at meter management / this game)

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
A crucial midscreen meterless B&B for Seth is cr.HP xx LP DP -> toe taps into finisher, there are lots of baby Seths roaming the world who only know cl.HP xx HK Legs and they're all very bad. Against some characters you need to do LP DPx2 -> two toe taps into finisher which is significantly harder and IIRC gives you a weaker setup. Seth needs to stay in that rear end no matter what though.

Your frame advantage/disadvantage with Tanden depends on how far away the other player was, the further away they were the more negative it is. Six years of SF4 and I still don't know how that works but you'll get a feel for it if you play enough. Besides catching backdashers and generally loving with people you can trip guard with it which is important because Seth can't grounded anti-air for poo poo unless you jump on his DP.

EX Tanden has always cost two bars because if it didn't Seth could do combos that would last for literally 60+ seconds, maybe 99 with four bars against Honda I forget. You don't want that.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
^ could be wrong, but i thought for some characters it was MP DPx2 (with the 2nd DP delayed as much as possible, can't just mash it out which is why it's hard)

i'm still mindblown about EX tanden costing 2 bars because i would always mess around in training mode and do cr.HP xx EX tanden over and over, how did i never notice

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 22, 2014

tunaism
Dec 24, 2011
Trip report for babys first tournament. I ended up in third place! It started at midnight and ran till like 5am. Everyone was chill and good times were had. I mainly used gouken and I ended up getting bopped by the 2 dudes running the thing. I (barely) put the 2nd place guy in losers earlier in the tournament but he made a great comeback at my expense when I was put there by 1st place guy after winners finals. I got flustered and made a lot of dumb moves and ended up eliminated. r.i.p. Some of it was streamed so I'll try and dig it up later.

Since 1st and 2nd place guys ran the punchman event the prizes went to 3rd 4th and 5th place instead. I left at around 6am with that neat usf4 bible. I'll be going back for casuals tomorrow.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Mio Bison posted:

Your frame advantage/disadvantage with Tanden depends on how far away the other player was, the further away they were the more negative it is. Six years of SF4 and I still don't know how that works but you'll get a feel for it if you play enough.

I used to wonder this too: it's because tanden engine goes into the final recovery frames when the other guy gets sucked in next to you. So if you do the attack from very far away, it goes into recovery very late and you have like -4 frame advantage, but if you do it up close you'll recover faster potentially with frame advantage. It's kind of like how Balrog's dash punch has extra, variable startup frames until you get close, only applied to the recovery of the attack instead of the startup.

Bottom-line: Seth actually recovers earlier if you use it up close than if you use it at range or whiff it.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
What's up with the timing on Cammy's cr.lk cr.lp cr.lk xx spiral? Or really any combo ending in cr.lk xx spiral. The special cancel timing seems to be different but I can't tell if it's dependent on when I do the special cancel or when I input the last low short.

edit answering my own question it seems like I have to input the last low short pretty late. leaving this here in case i'm wrong and someone can correct me

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 23, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Synonamess Botch posted:

What's up with the timing on Cammy's cr.lk cr.lp cr.lk xx spiral? Or really any combo ending in cr.lk xx spiral. The special cancel timing seems to be different but I can't tell if it's dependent on when I do the special cancel or when I input the last low short.

edit answering my own question it seems like I have to input the last low short pretty late. leaving this here in case i'm wrong and someone can correct me

I'm gonna assume that you need to link, not chain, the last cr.lk for it to be cancelable, as with almost every combo involving a light move and a cancel.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
i think there was a vid explaining how that specific combo or chain cancelling is bugged and harder than it actually should be, but you shouldn't be using it anyways because that combo has become obsolete since AE

instead go for:

cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.mp xx hk spiral (2f link)
cr.lk, cr.lp, cr.mk xx hk spiral (1f link, for situations when the cr.mp wont reach)

on the few characters where the hk spiral only hits once, you want to use mk spiral instead for optimized dmg

edit: here is said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8fhpT1UFv4

but again, shouldn't matter unless you're playing Super Cammy in edition select

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 23, 2014

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Ah thanks jebeebus. I usually go for cr.lp cr.lp cr.mp xx hk spiral anyway because it's easy enough, any reason to open with cr.lk or not? i'm guessing cr.lk hits low.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
yeah that's exactly it, great for stuff like empty jumps into cr.lk, or opening with cr.lk after a delay during blockstring to try and catch them trying to walk away, etc.

i always just input the cr.lk as a crouch tech as well (cr.lp+cr.lk) so that you can OS any throw attempts during said situations above

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 23, 2014

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
just go for full sako every time.

Toilet.Duck
Jul 13, 2006
Cleanest ever!
Can anyone throw some words at me for help picking up Rufus? I've never really played a dive kicker and I'm mainly looking for what mentality I should use to approach. I'm used to fireball poking chars (sagat/poison) and I'm having a hard time adjusting to the idea of actually jumping at people.

I get the idea is to get on their head then crush crouch techs with more dive kicks and frame trap pressure, are there any spacing sweet spots I should be aiming for and strings to get me back there after pressure?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toilet.Duck posted:

Can anyone throw some words at me for help picking up Rufus? I've never really played a dive kicker and I'm mainly looking for what mentality I should use to approach. I'm used to fireball poking chars (sagat/poison) and I'm having a hard time adjusting to the idea of actually jumping at people.

I get the idea is to get on their head then crush crouch techs with more dive kicks and frame trap pressure, are there any spacing sweet spots I should be aiming for and strings to get me back there after pressure?

not their head, their feet and knees.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Toilet.Duck posted:

It's hard to give specific strings cause divekicks land at different spacings most of the time, depending on height spacing angle etc. Usually you follow divekick with standing lk, and do more stand lk or crouch lp. Stand lk can tick into throw or you can do another divekick. And, of course, it links into st.hp (this is Rufus's only hard link and you have to learn it). But you have to play it by ear based on spacing. Aim low with divekicks for more frame advantage afterwards. You can frame trap with stand lk stand mp as another pressure option

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

As for getting in, switch up your divekick timing to beat their antiair if they're using normals to antiair you. You can also do j.hp or hk instead of divekick. Your antiair is cr.mp, or air to air j.hk, or ex snake strike. J.hk juggles into ex snake strike or ultra 1. Always pick ultra 1. You want to be dive kicking and throwing them, and push them to the corner. Once you have them in the corner, don't let them out. And... Bait their reversals, cause a fat man stepping on your face repeatedly scares people.

As a side note, df. Mk can be a good way to get in too. Or landing a sweep.

burger time fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 24, 2014

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Patch v1.04 announced for mid/late December after Capcom Cup with as-yet unrevealed balance changes, new trials and all 44 of your favorite furries.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FINGER PUZZLES ARE BACK!!!!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2014/11/24/patch-104-content-information

quote:

If you thought our support for USFIV for was going to stop anytime soon, let me be the first to tell you that you’re sadly mistaken. Shortly after Capcom Cup, we’ll be releasing a patch full of all the things that will make your USFIV experience that much more entertaining: Edition Select online, New training mode trials, Omega Mode (online and offline) and compatibility files for the Wild costumes.

Continue on for a more detailed breakdown of what’s to be included.

Version Number

The game will now display “Version 1.04” in the options menu after the update.

Edition Select Online

Street Fighter IV Now players will be able to test out their favorite dream matches against all challengers across the globe. For the uninitiated, Edition Select allows players to pick any version of their favorite character from any version of SFIV that they’ve been in, balance and all. We’ve also added icons per version so that players will be able to adjust their strategies that much quicker.

Which character is the strongest? Pick your best fighter and go online* to find out. I’m sure an army of Vanilla SFIV Sagats and AE Yuns will be waiting for you.

*You can now turn Edition Select ON/OFF in Custom Match search settings or when creating Custom Lobbies for Endless, Team, Tournament and Online training modes. Edition select is only available for unranked matches only.

New Training Mode Trials

Take your game to the next level as you try to complete all the fun and challenging trials for Yun, Yang, Oni, Evil Ryu, Hugo, Elena, Decapre, Poison and Rolento! In addition to trails for these characters, you’ll also find updates for characters whose USFIV battle balance changes made a few of their previous trials no longer possible. Once you master these trials, take your newfound skills online and style on the competition.

Omega Mode Online

Are you ready to experience your favorite SFIV characters re-imagined in the all new Omega Mode*? Every character has been given new specials, as well as adjustments on their normal attacks to make them that much more fun and hype. Once you get a feel for them, take them for a spin online** and see what others have cooked up with their favorite characters.

*Omega Mode is not actually its own mode, but an edition of the characters located in Edition select.

**Please take note that Omega Mode places a larger emphasis on fun, rather than balance, and therefore can only be used in unranked matches.

Updated Battle Balance

We’ve heard your requests throughout the year and have made some changes to the cast, with the ultimate goal of making everyone viable *cough DeeJay cough cough*.

Bug Fixes

Both the Vega and Yun bugs will addressed and fixed in this patch.

Compatibility files for the Wild costumes

Compatibility files will also be added allowing players to be able to use the Wild costumes immediately after purchase. Speaking of the wild costumes, here's some screens:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When's the last time they did actual balance changes and not bug fixes that weren't sold in the next edition?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
:cawg:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kappa Honda is just another checkmark on Combofiend's "How Can I Troll Mike Ross" list.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
no netcode fix lol

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Good, play against people you know, loser.

Tae posted:

When's the last time they did actual balance changes and not bug fixes that weren't sold in the next edition?

AE 2012

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I do play offline 90% of the time but it would be nice to be able to play online after work now and then

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Tae posted:

Well it sounds like they will try and make DeeJay not the worst character in the game (which means he'll be second worse ahead of Dan).

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
trials hype furry hype

Tae posted:

AE v2012
SFxT v2013

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yuck, they are just wearing literal fursuits, not just the characters as animals

And 2 wolfs, cmon capcom there a plenty of animals to pick from

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
What the hell is Rolento supposed to be?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Archenteron posted:

What the hell is Rolento supposed to be?

awesome.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Honzo Gonzo of course.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I didn't know 'fun' and 'balance' were mutually exclusive

makes u think

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Cool, Edition Select online. The thing I've wanted from Day 0 but didn't get until now.

The PC netcode being broken is about the only thing preventing me from buying it at this point.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I don't understand why Omega Mode and Edition Select needed to be smashed together?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Wezlar posted:

I don't understand why Omega Mode and Edition Select needed to be smashed together?

Because Omega Mode is an edition that you have to select via Edition Select. I don't get why not, it means you can pit standard characters against hilariously overpowered versions for maximum fun.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Because Omega Mode is an edition that you have to select via Edition Select.

Yeah but do people really want to play Omega Mode vs some dude playing 2012 Yun?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Wezlar posted:

Yeah but do people really want to play Omega Mode vs some dude playing 2012 Yun?

Yeah, why not? Sounds like a larf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Yeah, why not? Sounds like a larf.

It just seems to me like a decision that doesn't really benefit people interested in either of the modes :shrug:

• Locked thread