Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

HorseRenoir posted:

Oneohtrix Point Never already beat these guys to the punch :nws::nms:http://vimeo.com/75534042:nms::nws:
Except that's targeting sick-minded fucks and not otakus. Furries be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Grouchio posted:

Except that's targeting sick-minded fucks and not otakus.
:raise: really

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Grouchio posted:

Except that's targeting sick-minded fucks and not otakus.

You say that like there's a difference.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The OPN video is nothing at all like MEMEME except for that both of them have music and visuals in them.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Pixiv is already full of MEMEME fanart. Naturally.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Actually, isn't this some goon's keyboard?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The OPN video is nothing at all like MEMEME except for that both of them have music and visuals in them.

this is a better comparison
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x114kln_dye-fantasy_shortfilms

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

That is most certainly a better comparison. The only main difference being that MEMEME has a very blunt message for otakus instead of just being some amv horror short.

Also where can I see this pixiv fanart?

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
Pixiv would be a good start

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Reivax posted:

Pixiv would be a good start

If I could get translator to work properly and hot have to pay for premiums.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Forgall posted:

Actually, isn't this some goon's keyboard?

That is horrifying.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Grouchio posted:

Right click -> Translate to English? In chrome, anyway. And I think premium just lets you order search by popularity.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Grouchio posted:

lol if you watch anime and can't navigate pixiv

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i've installed a button on my keyboard that takes me to hetani pages of pixiv, the ones that you can't see unless you donate 666 yen a month

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KaneTW posted:

lol if you watch anime and can't navigate pixiv
I've been watching anime for 12 years at least now and this is the first time I've heard of pixiv! I swear!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I've been watching anime for 12 years at least now and this is the first time I've heard of pixiv! I swear!

You have to create an account to use Pixiv. As far as I know the sign up is available in English now. There are plenty of pixiv account creation tutorials, too.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pixiv has some legit sexy anim babes on it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Holy poo poo this site is amazing. How are most of these made!?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
With one hand.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Guys Anno didn't even work on MEMEME.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Seriously. I think you folks are being very charitable to derive some kind of satiric intent from that video.

As far as I see it's a swirling vortex of the otaku view of women. The helpless moe damstrel waiting to be rescued, the cutesy idols just this side of worksafe, the fearful physicality of women's bodies, the sexy=evil vision of videogames seen from a gunsight, all flipping off masks and morphing into each other, both alluring and threatening and unrelentingly the other.

The video isn't critiquing this view, you are. The video is just giving its audience the mix of horror, fanservice and action they want. I'm gonna bet you not a single woman worked on this.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Fangz posted:

Seriously. I think you folks are being very charitable to derive some kind of satiric intent from that video.

As far as I see it's a swirling vortex of the otaku view of women. The helpless moe damstrel waiting to be rescued, the cutesy idols just this side of worksafe, the fearful physicality of women's bodies, the sexy=evil vision of videogames seen from a gunsight, all flipping off masks and morphing into each other, both alluring and threatening and unrelentingly the other.

The video isn't critiquing this view, you are. The video is just giving its audience the mix of horror, fanservice and action they want. I'm gonna bet you not a single woman worked on this.

I mean, the video may be full of ins anely sexy animes, but you'd really have to not be paying attention to think that it was showing this view in a positive (or even neutral) light.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HellCopter posted:

I mean, the video may be full of ins anely sexy animes, but you'd really have to not be paying attention to think that it was showing this view in a positive (or even neutral) light.

I do think it was showing this view in a neutral light, because *it doesn't present an alternative view*. No woman is a person in this video. They are to be rescued, hosed, shot or be destroyed by. The video exists solely in a world where these are the only alternatives.

As do the people who have the sort of worldview you think it's critiquing.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 24, 2014

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

Fangz posted:

I usually watch from afar when people try to garner a deeper meaning from entertainment media, anime in particular, but in my opinion ME!ME!ME really did try to convey a message at the end. It's open to interpretation i think, and we have lot's of goons who could hazard an educated guess if the crew behind this genuinely tried to make a critic on Otaku culture.

Anyway, tities aside, it was really well put together.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It tried, but failed spectacularly.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I'd say it's certainly not trying to be a feminist or progressive criticism of anime obsession, which could have been more compelling in the long run, but just a moderate and purely male-centric one.

The message is not "find an alternative lifestyle now" or "respect real women" here. It's simply highlighting the idea that "getting too much into this stuff will lead to a vicious cycle from which you can't easily escape" and that's all. There's no attempt to sell the viewer into how to go about reforming himself. It's an interesting piece but not exactly one with a nuanced or intellectual approach to the subject.

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 24, 2014

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Evangelion has made attacking otaku lifestyle a cornerstone of the otaku lifestyle.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

wielder posted:

There's no attempt to sell the viewer into how to go about reforming himself. It's an interesting piece but not exactly one with a nuanced or intellectual approach to the subject.

it's a music video

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yes, we know that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

it's a music video

Yeah, and? Fuckin' Disney musicals can show multiple perspectives on a problem in the same song, or set up a character's plight and suggest better alternatives. It's not that hard.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

OnimaruXLR posted:

it's a music video

Even so, I'm just suggesting it could have probably been handled better. Nothing more, nothing less.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm just saying that there's a limit to the amount of fully formed philosophical arguments that can be presented over the course of 5 minutes or so while sweet techno music is kicking it.

I mean, that short film about the God Soldiers from Nausica didn't have a guide on how humanity can be less lovely, but it pretty clearly echoed the movie's sentiments that humanity is lovely and loving up the planet.

And, again, I don't think it's purely about anime. There's more than one way to callously market women as a shallow fantasy for lonely sadsacks to get obsessed with.

Fangz posted:

I'm gonna bet you not a single woman worked on this.

I saw at least three in the credits, 2 among the key animators

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

this is why we can't have nice things

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
It's a short music video about a young man's decent into, and destruction by, inflated fantasy expectations. Nothing more, nothing less.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://www.taghobby.com/2-0/2-1/%E3...81%BA%E6%A7%8B/

this is extremely hype but lmao at the romanization of killy's name

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Great Rumbler posted:

It's a short music video about a young man's decent into, and destruction by, inflated fantasy expectations. Nothing more, nothing less.
And how it caused him to dump his girlfriend in favor for fantasy girls and how karma's biting him back in the rear end.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Glad to see another Nihei manga is getting an ugly cg adaptation.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

dogsicle posted:

Glad to see another Nihei manga is getting an ugly cg adaptation.

This PV doesn't seem to have any of the framerate issues that the first episodes of sidonia had.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
To be clear, this is a thing that exists within the Sidonia series and is something that the characters watch occasionally. Not really sure how that's going to work, but it's definitely not a full series or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Great Rumbler posted:

To be clear, this is a thing that exists within the Sidonia series and is something that the characters watch occasionally. Not really sure how that's going to work, but it's definitely not a full series or anything like that.

Aww, that sucks.

• Locked thread