Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Ooh, we got DK2 positional tracking now

:parrot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
On this fine winter's eve I learned that sitting for 11 minutes of optional repairs will still not make your car drivable.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

On this fine winter's eve I learned that sitting for 11 minutes of optional repairs will still not make your car drivable.

Best one is the stockcar thing where they can't clear your radiator so you just drive around for 20 laps until it blows.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
What unit do they measure distance with in the F3 view? Is it seconds?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yep, they use seconds.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's in race units.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

It's in race units.

I blew a twelve unit lead the other day.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

LordPants posted:

I blew a twelve unit lead the other day.

whats the conversion ratio of oval race units to road race units these days?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

OhsH posted:

whats the conversion ratio of oval race units to road race units these days?

It was at lime rock, so that's pretty much the same thing right?

It must have been the greatest moment in that guy's life, something like the six guys in front of him all fell off the track. At least I finished 2nd so I still ground out irating and safety rating.

I think that's the hardest thing transitioning from Ovals to road courses - just hitting your spots lap after lap when there is no pressure. I've found on ovals there isn't enough time to go "gee... what a big lead..." and let your concentration lapse.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

ManicJason posted:

Recording to an SDD is a great way to burn money. They don't take repeated writing at all.

They do now. Good modern SSDs can take enough write cycles that you can write to them non stop for years without burning them out. Even cheap ones will outlast every other component in a system when faced with a normal usage pattern. You could write a 70gig vid cap to one every day and you'll eventually upgrade to a bigger faster one well before it wears out.

Get an SSD, and then you'll kick yourself for not getting one sooner.

Edit: To better quantify this: The Samsung 840, a low end drive whose most notable trait is that it uses flash with unusually low write cycle ratings, will eat around 300TB of writes before it starts throwing errors. That's over 10 years of daily 70GB caps. And that's just about the shortest lifetime drive you can buy.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 17, 2014

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

What do you guys think of Road America and the skip barber course. Was thinking of getting road america at least, seems like a nice track and it will be retained for at least three seasons.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Early in my now extensive two month iRacing career I wanted to know which tracks saw the most use and wanted to buy the best value for the series I run. Now, the only barometer I use for purchases is personal interest. Virginia International Raceway is hardly used, but it's amazing so I want that. Circuit of the Americas is heavily used, but who gives a crap. That's all it comes down to for me. I think personally, I'm more interested in "classic" tracks. Some sort of 70s heyday thing. How can you not love Zolder or Zandvoort?

If you want to stick with Skip Barber, yes Road America will be a good value in that series.

Also, since I kept track of the dates, I'll just say that...
9/10 - Joined.
9/27 - D license, road.
10/21 - C license, road.
11/2 - B license, road.
11/17 - A license, road.

Not bad for a little less than ten weeks.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 17, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I have to say doing that Star Mazda open practice at Spa with goons on Saturday night was fun, especially pubbies (both goons and non-goons alike :doh:) not knowing "Stairs?"

We'll have to coordinate some stuff at Brand Snatch tonight, that's a fun track?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Theris posted:

Get an SSD, and then you'll kick yourself for not getting one sooner.
I have SSDs, just not enough free space on them to be recording hundreds of gigs of video. I'm hoping a 7200 RPM drive will do the job. I'd rather not buy yet another SSD just for recording, but it's interesting to hear that SSDs are better at taking writes now. I was surprised to read that they were so bad at taking repeated writes, but it seemed to be a huge consensus in the fraps/dxtory forums. Maybe it's a misconception at this point.

KingShibby posted:

especially pubbies (both goons and non-goons alike :doh:) not knowing "Stairs?"
"What?"

Ohsh and I ran a race after that went... poorly. We missed being in the same split by something like 25 iRating or else we could have had a decent video. Instead we got a video of me sitting in the pits, getting ten minutes of repairs done while asking, "What's going on in your race? What happened? What was that?" Not exactly riveting commentary.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ManicJason posted:

but it seemed to be a huge consensus in the fraps/dxtory forums.
Ever heard of SH/SC? And I can't believe a goon with more seniority than me has never heard of Stairs?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ManicJason posted:

I have SSDs, just not enough free space on them to be recording hundreds of gigs of video. I'm hoping a 7200 RPM drive will do the job. I'd rather not buy yet another SSD just for recording, but it's interesting to hear that SSDs are better at taking writes now. I was surprised to read that they were so bad at taking repeated writes, but it seemed to be a huge consensus in the fraps/dxtory forums. Maybe it's a misconception at this point.

"What?"

Ohsh and I ran a race after that went... poorly. We missed being in the same split by something like 25 iRating or else we could have had a decent video. Instead we got a video of me sitting in the pits, getting ten minutes of repairs done while asking, "What's going on in your race? What happened? What was that?" Not exactly riveting commentary.

If you saw something a while ago and haven't seen anything about it recently from a reliable source, it's probably not true anymore.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

KingShibby posted:

I can't believe a goon with more seniority than me has never heard of Stairs?

We were all on Mumble and messing with you.

edit: Thanks for the SSD SH/SC link. I hadn't thought to look there. That info looks way more credible than whatever I read before.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 17, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I thought you said bears.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Cojawfee posted:

I thought you said bears.

Do you have bears in your house? Get out quick!

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
i had my in game voice down super quiet so i was probably just rambling

ManicJason posted:

but to expand on this, yeah we have access to the goonrathi mumble if you ever want on,

mumble.goonrathi.com
password: mellon

we pretty much use it for practicing/races, all chilling and shooting the poo poo is still done mostly in the #racinggoons synirc channel.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I've been having some router issues, which are now hopefully resolved. Until now, though, I've been dropped from quite a few races due to these issues, which results in a forfeit. Therefore, my iRating has plummeted like a sack of wet potatoes.

I hopped into a Skippy race tonight at Road America in the second of two splits with only three practice laps and no qualifying - I know the track and I never went off in practice, so I'll just ride at the back of the pack to grind iRating.

Race starts, and I'm 4th on the grid. The cars ahead botch the start, so I am in the lead at the first corner, thinking ohshitohshitohshit...

I won the race by 32 seconds.

... I think I was in the wrong split.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CaseFace McGee posted:

I won the race by 32 seconds.

So, about half a straightaway?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Curbs at Brands Hatch be like

* (or "kerbs", if you will)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ManicJason posted:

:ohdear: I didn't even realize we had a Mumble channel after reading the OP :haw:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C1jnx-57XM

A new event for Gooncar races?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

You think Goons can actually make it to the Chase without crashing? :v:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

That would be a lot of fun with unlimited quick repairs, just turn off fast towing and that would be an amazing event!

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Are there any hot deals right now for returning players, like three months for the price of one or something?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
They're doing 1 year for $49, but you have to already have an active sub, so just buy 1 month, then buy the year for $49

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The rear end Stooge posted:

Are there any hot deals right now for returning players, like three months for the price of one or something?

I got a code a month or so ago where I could resub a year for $49. My account was inactive for a week only before I got it. So good timing I suppose. Maybe you got one too?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 23, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If you're making a NEW account, I've still got a handful of 12- and 3-month codes. PM me if you want one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Had a hell of a time in the Mustang at Watkins last night. Actually went into turn 5 three wide (I made it two going low, another guy went high to make it 3) and came out the other side both intact and ahead.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

My favorite video of the Bathurst jump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-hqStPU8B0

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Had a hell of a time in the Mustang at Watkins last night. Actually went into turn 5 three wide (I made it two going low, another guy went high to make it 3) and came out the other side both intact and ahead.

Yeah it was a good race until that guy a lap down took you out. But to be fair you did kind of cut over on him...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Yeah it was a good race until that guy a lap down took you out. But to be fair you did kind of cut over on him...

Different race :v: That first one I went clean flag-to-flag.

I saw him, I just kept thinking "there's no way he's going to try up the inside of 2..." Nope. Got the spotter warning pretty much right as we made contact, and it was even light enough to be a 0x at first.

Whole reason he was a lap down (and on fresher tires) is because he did the same thing to someone else coming into the last corner. I probably would've been fine if I'd stayed outside on 2 but I guarantee he would've forced the issue somewhere between there and 5. The guy has managed to be on iRacing for two years without ever moving past a low D license.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

The guy has managed to be on iRacing for two years without ever moving past a low D license.

lmao jesus gently caress

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I just got started in this with a used G27 setup. Ho boy is this fun.

A lot of issues I'm having can probably be attributed to lovely seating. My chair does not have a full-size back and is not lockable, and my desk gets in the way of my knees when I heel-toe.

That reminds me; how many of you actually go full-realism with controls? My best lap around Laguna right now is like a 1:47 in the Roadster and I see guys turning laps never missing shifts and I wonder if they're just using auto-shift.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Beach Bum posted:

I just got started in this with a used G27 setup. Ho boy is this fun.

A lot of issues I'm having can probably be attributed to lovely seating. My chair does not have a full-size back and is not lockable, and my desk gets in the way of my knees when I heel-toe.

That reminds me; how many of you actually go full-realism with controls? My best lap around Laguna right now is like a 1:47 in the Roadster and I see guys turning laps never missing shifts and I wonder if they're just using auto-shift.

Practice more and you won't miss any shifts either :v:

I'm at maximum reals, and when I was still in rookies I would miss maybe one shift a race in the Miata which was usually right after I slowed for a wreck or something. I miss some now when I drive a standard transmission, but that's because I'm almost exclusively driving the Skippy (and still kinda sucking) and you don't need to use the clutch to shift it. Dogbox transmissions are fun, but it makes me sloppy.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

There's always a bit of frustration in driving synchromesh H shift transmissions in iRacing since you get no feedback. The good news is that very few cars in the service have H shifter synchro transmissions (Miata, Solstice, Spec Racer Ford, Mustang.) The dog box H shifters are much more forgiving.

I very rarely miss shifts in the SRF in a race, but I usually miss a couple in practice when I jump back into it until I remind myself to take it easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Star Mazda at Bathurst.

Welp...

• Locked thread