Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah and look where it got him. :crossarms:

Dude, F/Z is good and all, I get it, but every time someone complains about these characters doing something different than what people in Zero did, I have to roll my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It removes a lot of the romance of the thing when everyone just murders everyone wantonly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not like "let's duke it out, but everyone retreats at the end" wasn't a constant theme throughout Fate/Zero either.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Fleve posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people. Why doesn't anyone just straight up murder an enemy anymore.

I miss the Fate/Zero Kiritsugu Emiya with his 'gently caress your magic' attitude and a propensity to get poo poo done.
I was also a little frustrated at how many hoops they jumped through this last episode to ensure that the status quo was maintained.

Sure, there's plenty of reasons for why character X let character Y live ( again ), but it felt a little forced. Kiritsugu would have dropped a building on Berserker by now.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's probably frustrating when you don't know how the story is going to go. But most of these Masters are high school kids who barely have knowledge of the true purpose behind the Holy Grail and they aren't hardened killers like Kiritsugu.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Because Kiritsugu wanted to win at all costs to achieve The Greatest Good, Shirou is a doofus and wants everyone to be happy and Archer is just lazy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kiritsugu was a butt, imo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

kiritsugu was a butt, imo

The biggest

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Pretty much.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Y'know, for all his big talk, Archer is every bit as stupid and small-minded as Shirou, just in a different direction. Letting a dangerous enemy live in hopes that maybe they might run off and kill a different, even more dangerous enemy is not a strategy with a high success rate, I imagine. I get the impression that half the reason he did it was to rub Shirou's nose in his coolguy "pragmatism" (ha!)

Yes, I know there's an ultimate reason behind their dynamic, but still, I think this episode did a good job of demonstrating how those two relate to each other.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Squidster posted:

I was also a little frustrated at how many hoops they jumped through this last episode to ensure that the status quo was maintained.

Sure, there's plenty of reasons for why character X let character Y live ( again ), but it felt a little forced. Kiritsugu would have dropped a building on Berserker by now.

And then he gets shanked because dropping a building on Ilya and Herk would've achieved jack and squat. The overall power level of FSN servants is higher, Gil aside.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That poo poo wouldn't have even worked on Lancelot. He'd have just walked out the rubble like "AAAAAAARTHURRRRRRRRR! FORGIVE ME FOR SLEEPING WITH YOUR WIIIIIIFE!"

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Beef Waifu posted:

That poo poo wouldn't have even worked on Lancelot. He'd have just walked out the rubble like "AAAAAAARTHURRRRRRRRR! PUNISH ME FOR SLEEPING WITH YOUR WIIIIIIFE!"

Fixed for accuracy.

And yeah dropping a building on Berserker would achieve precisely nothing except maybe pissing Illya off.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Which is why Kiritsugu always went for the master. I'm glad ufotable seem to be adding that dynamic to FSN more (like with the Rin vs Ilya scene).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Although that may be more Kirei's coaching than anything else.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
It took a lot of willpower to stop watching the Tsubame Gaeshi scene and continue onto the rest of the episode. Goons weren't kidding when they said Ufotable nailed that one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I note that Kiritsugu killed a grand total of one Master in the events of Zero, having fought that one three times previously without anyone dying.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I wonder how people who talk about how cool Kiritsugu was miss that part of the entire point of the franchise is underlining that Kiritsugu's methods were cruel and ultimately meaningless.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 23, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Rodyle posted:

I wonder how people who talk about how cool Kiritsugu was miss that part of the entire point of the franchise is underlining that Kiritsugu's methods were cruel and ultimately meaningless.

All of F/Z was basically leading up to trashing on Kiritsugu really. I feel like people think the cynicism angle that the show took made it cooler and more adult therefore it's better than dumb high school kids in FSN.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Rodyle posted:

While I don't think Kiritugu's philosophy was anything admirable, and I don't particularly like him as a character, the things that happened to him and the things that he did were way, way more entertaining than Shirou, who runs around needing rescuing with more regularity than a Nintendo princess

Like, for example, Kiritsugu would've shot Shinji in the head by now. Does that make him a "better" character than Shirou? Yes, probably.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
UBW makes a lot more sense than people think so far. It's one of the things I like a lot about it. People aren't really that stupid.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Because they he was way more interesting to watch than kids being dumb.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Well, arguing over whether Kiritsugu was a cool guy or not (spoilers, he's a butt) is probably better than power levels. I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not sure why we're talking trash about Shirou, he explicitly did not want to let Caster get away.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, Shirou is more okay with gibbing Servants than Humans.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Genocyber posted:

Because they he was way more interesting to watch than kids being dumb.

Rejoice, boy! Your wish will be granted!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Rejoice, boy! Your wish will be granted!

Saying "It get's better" means nothing fyi.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Genocyber posted:

I just like Kirei.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's kinda unfortunate as from what I understand F/Z isn't supposed to be seen first so that might be why seeing 'Dumb Kids Being Dumb' might not be as engaging as watching Kiritsugu bringing down a building.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Yeah how dare something try to set itself up for later, gratify me instantly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fleve posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people. Why doesn't anyone just straight up murder an enemy anymore.

Didn't he mention how it wouldn't have actually killed Caster if he "finished her off" there?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kiritsugu obviously isn't a good guy, but having people target the master rather than the servant is interesting. That's part of why Caster is cool.

Fangz posted:

I note that Kiritsugu killed a grand total of one Master in the events of Zero, having fought that one three times previously without anyone dying.
He actually killed two, although one of them was revived. He also completely crippled another, and later had them killed.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shiro is cool, Kiritsugu is not. The best part of Fate/Zero was the dumb teenager and his big goofy servant and their idealism so is this one (In different ways though).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kiritsugu wasn't very interesting outside of his flashback. He tore a building down and played the gently caress out of Kayneth but Waver and Iskander clearly stole the show.

Shirou at least has a character arc.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think it's really a matter of good or bad when it comes to Kiritsugu. He's more of a plot device I suppose than an actual character, but he has his uses and his story fits into the larger narrative whole of the Fate franchise well enough. He'll be an interesting case to re-examine after UBW is all said and done at least.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
p sure kiritsugu was the one who sniped the serial killer in the head

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Phobophilia posted:

p sure kiritsugu was the one who sniped the serial killer in the head

in the chest. He wouldn't have had a chance to monologue about how pretty his blood was if he got headshotted.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You're both right.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Squidster posted:

I am gonna mention that although it seems like there was a whole lot of contrivances made here in order to keep things the same (Archer letting Caster live because reasons and Assassin letting Saber go because beauty), to me it felt like it was part of a consistent theme or idea that runs in this franchise. That idea is that although a Servant generally has a personality matching their Master, the Servant and Master are ultimately two entirely different people with entirely different goals. The most obvious one that gets played up in this setting is that the Master sees this as a fight to be won at all costs and thus wants to kill off their opponents quickly and efficiently, while the Servants tend to be heroes from legend who value honor on the battlefield and a whole lot of other tripe nonsense. The end result is that the Servants want honorable and fair battles with each other and get really annoyed when that can't happen, while the Master just wants to end the fight when they have an advantage.

In this episode, both cases where a Servant let another another Servant go were direct results of having goals completely separate and contradictory of their Master's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 24, 2014

• Locked thread