Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I'm currently borrowing the new Sigma 150-600. It is a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

azathosk posted:

I'm currently borrowing the new Sigma 150-600. It is a monster.

It looks orgasmic for wildlife. Though the Sport version is double the weight of the bigma, which is already a challenge for extended periods of time...

Quick question, the 150-600 is a full frame lens. But this would still work on an APS-C like the d7000 right? From a quick online search it seems so, with no real issues, but maybe someone can better confirm that here?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It'd work on APS-C, and you would crop even tighter than on FX (900mm equiv at the long end, which is loving *long*).

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

evil_bunnY posted:

It'd work on APS-C, and you would crop even tighter than on FX (900mm equiv at the long end, which is loving *long*).

I once rented a 2x teleconverter for a big football game that I knew would be crowded, limiting my ability to move around. I stuck it on a 300 2.8 on a D300, ending up with a 600 5.6 x 1.5 = 900 5.6.

It was awesome. I could sit in the end zone like it wasn't no thang and shoot kickoff returns and beginning drives (great stuff when they ran it in the middle especially) and then could pop it off and shoot at the 450 equivalent, having a 70-200 on another body as they got even closer.

Auto focus was acceptable in the bright sunlight. Image quality was fine, especially for newsprint and web sizes. The one problem though was that our such a long distance, heat waves coming up from the turf at times would distort the photo so badly it was unusable, or else make the background look utterly bizarre. I did not think of that, but it ruined a fair few photos.

Edit: an example

dakana fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 17, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dakana posted:

Edit: an example

Holy poo poo those OOF areas look mental

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

If I understand correctly, doesn't using a teleconverter cause you to lose aperture? As in, a 2x teleconverter on a f/5.6 would make it an f/11? And if you wanna use full frame terms, with a crop sensor and a 2x teleconverter, you would have a 900mm f/18 lens (x1.5 then lose two stops?) I'm not trying to nitpick terms, I'm legitimately asking as I've just read up on this stuff. I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Hurrr, looks like I'm the one who's confused. See below for correct answers. Or even the link that I posted myself.

More reading: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2009/01/teleconverters-101

powderific fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 17, 2014

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

powderific posted:

You're confused on how much. 2x teleconverter loses 2 stops, so 5.6 become 8. And the crop sensor doesn't work like that—it might be noisier than an equivalent full frame sensor but it's not the same kind of calculation.

More reading: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2009/01/teleconverters-101

5.6 to 8 is 1 stop. f/11 is 2 stops - 2X on an f/5.6 lens results in f/11 max aperture

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

In the site you linked, they're saying a 1.4x tc would make a f/5.6 into an f/8. But a 1.4x only makes it one stop slower.

Also some Tony Northrup video seemed to explain the crop-aperture thing in a way that makes sense to me (even if I don't quite like him.)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
As mentioned in that link, it's strongly advised to not break f/8 or else you're stuck manual focusing. Crop sensor doesn't effect the aperture meaningfully though.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Rotten Cookies posted:

In the site you linked, they're saying a 1.4x tc would make a f/5.6 into an f/8. But a 1.4x only makes it one stop slower.

Also some Tony Northrup video seemed to explain the crop-aperture thing in a way that makes sense to me (even if I don't quite like him.)

f/5.6 to f/8 is 1 stop - full stops go
1, 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22

The other stuff is equivalence debate. The focal length and aperture of the lens are the same regardless of which format it's mounted on - equivalence is just how people compare behavior (angle of view and depth of field) on different formats. A 50mm f/1.8 lens is a 50mm f/1.8 lens regardless of what the sensor size is, because those are physical properties of the lens itself.

When you're calculating exposure, it's still an f/1.8 lens

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

If I understand correctly, doesn't using a teleconverter cause you to lose aperture? As in, a 2x teleconverter on a f/5.6 would make it an f/11? And if you wanna use full frame terms, with a crop sensor and a 2x teleconverter, you would have a 900mm f/18 lens (x1.5 then lose two stops?) I'm not trying to nitpick terms, I'm legitimately asking as I've just read up on this stuff. I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding it.
Using a full frame or film camera doesn't affect the aperture at all. Using a teleconverter does because it basically crops the center of the lens' image circle then magnifies it to cover your sensor again.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

timrenzi574 posted:

f/5.6 to f/8 is 1 stop - full stops go
1, 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22

The other stuff is equivalence debate. The focal length and aperture of the lens are the same regardless of which format it's mounted on - equivalence is just how people compare behavior (angle of view and depth of field) on different formats. A 50mm f/1.8 lens is a 50mm f/1.8 lens regardless of what the sensor size is, because those are physical properties of the lens itself.

When you're calculating exposure, it's still an f/1.8 lens

I know that 5.6 to 8 is one stop. I'm saying that a 2x teleconverter slows the lens down by 2 stops equivalency.

I know that the properties of a lens don't care what camera you put it on. I'm talking about equivalency in all my posts. Sorry if I didn't make it apparent. It started with Dakana saying he/she was using the equivalent of a 900mm f/5.6 lens. Like you said, the numbers on the lens don't magically change when you put it on a crop body, but it does behave differently. And I want to know how they behave differently. I think I should know something like that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It doesn't behave differently, you only record a smaller part of the projected image circle.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Rotten Cookies posted:

I know that 5.6 to 8 is one stop. I'm saying that a 2x teleconverter slows the lens down by 2 stops equivalency.

I know that the properties of a lens don't care what camera you put it on. I'm talking about equivalency in all my posts. Sorry if I didn't make it apparent. It started with Dakana saying he/she was using the equivalent of a 900mm f/5.6 lens. Like you said, the numbers on the lens don't magically change when you put it on a crop body, but it does behave differently. And I want to know how they behave differently. I think I should know something like that.

Yeah - 2x converters take 2 stops away. So f/5.6 becomes f/11

Mainly they behave differently (or more accurately, you perceive them differently? that might be a better way to put it) in angle of view & depth of field. What Tony Northrup is talking about in his video there is taking it another step farther, because he says that since ISO 250 or whatever on a 135 format sensor, looks the same as ISO 100 on an APS-C sensor (noise wise) , that it affects exposure also. Which then you can argue for by saying it's a valid observation about comparing lenses between formats, or against by saying it's purely a function of the sensor itself and the lens wouldn't even have to be attached for the cleanliness to be different at the same ISO. (Whereas you actually need the lens to talk about the AOV & DOF it offers)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Somehow I confused myself, wrote what the site I linked myself said wrong, and forgot how stops work. Oh well. That's what I get for trying to post during meetings.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

timrenzi574 posted:

Yeah - 2x converters take 2 stops away. So f/5.6 becomes f/11

Its helpful to keep in mind that f numbers are ratios of (focal length)/(objective diameter). So the 300mm f2.8 has ~107mm opening and when you add a 2x TC you are changing the focal length to 600mm while the objective diameter remains the same so 600mm/107mm = f/5.6 A 400 f5.6 has a ~71.4mm opening; add a 2x TC and it goes to 800mm/71.4mm = f/11.

I realize that you, timrenzi, probably already know this but I wanted to throw it out there for other people reading because I think its neat how it works out.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Also as a general pro tip that I'm sure everyone already knows, the next stop is 1.414 * the current stop. Well technically it's the square root of 2 but gently caress getting out a calculator.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

SoundMonkey posted:

Also as a general pro tip that I'm sure everyone already knows, the next stop is 1.414 * the current stop. Well technically it's the square root of 2 but gently caress getting out a calculator.

i just twiddle an imaginary dial to the next stop like a Chinese kid using an imaginary abacus

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

SoundMonkey posted:

Eh, just remember 1 and 1.4 and double those numbers repeatedly to get all the rest.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Shellman posted:

Eh, just remember 1 and 1.4 and double those numbers repeatedly to get all the rest.

I prefer this one as well

2 stops = double the f-number

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Mango Polo posted:

It looks orgasmic for wildlife. Though the Sport version is double the weight of the bigma, which is already a challenge for extended periods of time...

Quick question, the 150-600 is a full frame lens. But this would still work on an APS-C like the d7000 right? From a quick online search it seems so, with no real issues, but maybe someone can better confirm that here?

It's big and heavy. The Bigma is nothing compared to it. I used it handheld at a hockey match and it was suprisingly easy, but I recommend a monopod.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

azathosk posted:

It's big and heavy. The Bigma is nothing compared to it. I used it handheld at a hockey match and it was suprisingly easy, but I recommend a monopod.

Weight is why I'm keeping an eye still on the Tamron 150-600, which compares well in performance. Though the Nikon mount is out of stock everywhere so I can't even try it out.
I already lost a (cheap) lens due to bad weather, so the Sport's weather sealing is a huge plus. I tend to drag my camera through snow, dust, rain and humidity quite a bit.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Mango Polo posted:

Weight is why I'm keeping an eye still on the Tamron 150-600, which compares well in performance. Though the Nikon mount is out of stock everywhere so I can't even try it out.
I already lost a (cheap) lens due to bad weather, so the Sport's weather sealing is a huge plus. I tend to drag my camera through snow, dust, rain and humidity quite a bit.

I don't have any experience of the sigma, but the Tamron is very nice. Works a treat on my d5100, though it looks hilarious mounted on such a small camera. I'd definitely recommend a monopod- I was lugging it around all day and halfway through switched to the 'pod- it made a world of difference. I was shooting in pouring rain, in a thunderstorm without problems.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ostensibly Sony's going to announce the A7II very soon, with 5-axis image stabilization on the sensor. God, that makes feature envy even worse.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In fact, here it is:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/20/sonys-alpha-7-ii-full-frame-mirrorless/

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

"Most camera manufacturers will milk a popular model dry, but not Sony"

Well I guess that's one way to spin "more bodies than lenses" and "no firmware updates, ever".

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Helicity posted:

Well I guess that's one way to spin "more bodies than lenses" and "no firmware updates, ever".
I thought getting it right the first time was a pretty good excuse for no firmware updates.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Jesus, maybe I ought to wait for Sony to come out with an A7sII with in-body stabilization.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What is the best ~17 to ~55 lens for my Canon that is $500 or less?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Tamron 17-50

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

1st AD posted:

Tamron 17-50

This one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-SP-A016-17-50-mm-F-2-8-Di-II-XR-IF-AF-Lens-For-Canon-/201213471095?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2ed941e977

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

http://www.xumeadapters.com/

Magnetic quick release filters. Has anyone played with these before? This might be a solution for trying to put filter systems on the Fuji MF cameras with the stupid sliding hood.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

eBay posted:

This lens DOES NOT include VC (vibration compensation).

Yes. This is the lens the Dorkroom loves.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This is the one then?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-SP-B005-17-50-mm-F-2-8-Di-II-XR-VC-IF-AF-Lens-For-Canon-/111524601230?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item19f7625d8e

Sorry there are so many Tamron 17-50mm.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I think you misunderstood. VC is to be avoided. The vibration compensation version of that lens includes some changes to the rest of the optics that makes it slightly less sharp - at least, that is my understanding.

VC adds cost and apparently causes loss of image quality. Get the one without VC.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

I think you misunderstood. VC is to be avoided. The vibration compensation version of that lens includes some changes to the rest of the optics that makes it slightly less sharp - at least, that is my understanding.

VC adds cost and apparently causes loss of image quality. Get the one without VC.

Thanks. So the one that is cheap AND better quality. Seems like a no brainer.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hey guys. I've been shooting with a 7d and 6 Carl Zeiss c/y for years and recently I've been kind of losing interest in photography. I want to jump to full frame to change it up, I was going to to get the Nikon d610 but it looks like there's no real way to adapt my c/y glass :(. I've been looking into the Sony a7, it's right in my price range but I'm still unsure of the trade offs with say, the 5d mk ii. I know people complain about battery life and the shutter lag/black out time. How's the a7 for portraits with off camera strobes?

Would anyone here still choose the 5d mkii over the a7?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Google Butt posted:

Hey guys. I've been shooting with a 7d and 6 Carl Zeiss c/y for years and recently I've been kind of losing interest in photography. I want to jump to full frame to change it up, I was going to to get the Nikon d610 but it looks like there's no real way to adapt my c/y glass :(. I've been looking into the Sony a7, it's right in my price range but I'm still unsure of the trade offs with say, the 5d mk ii. I know people complain about battery life and the shutter lag/black out time. How's the a7 for portraits with off camera strobes?

Would anyone here still choose the 5d mkii over the a7?

Honestly, the main advantage to a mirrorless camera, to me, is the fact that it's so much smaller and lighter. The fact that you won't think of taking your camera with you as a total pain in the rear end will probably spice up your photography on its own. That's certainly true for me, I hate lugging my 60D (and 3 lenses) around and borrow my brother's X100 all the time. I think I'd love to own a Ricoh GR for the same reason. Full frame would be fun, too, and the A7 is very adaptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Read some books, look at some art, or find whatever muse it is that inspires you. I guarantee it'll cost less than a new camera.