Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is 100% nuts, but in knitting, there's such a thing as blocking wires. They're long and thin, and flexible enough that you could weave them in and out of the edge of chicken skin, then trap the ends by poking them through squares of a cooling rack.

If anyone actually does this, you owe me half the skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

These steel bulldog clips are awesome, even if they were triple the price: http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulldog-clips/=uoyiv1

I don't use any other clips in my kitchen.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Safety Dance posted:

These steel bulldog clips are awesome, even if they were triple the price: http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulldog-clips/=uoyiv1

I don't use any other clips in my kitchen.

If McMaster didn't absolutely destroy my budgets with shipping I'd buy from them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Move somewhere closer to a McMaster depot, obvs.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Safety Dance posted:

Move somewhere closer to a McMaster depot, obvs.

Shipping to PR has always been my hobby-bane.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just ordered a box of 36 2 ½ inch clips from Amazon for $8 shipped.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Anova update! It worked well enough to do a cook at 142 2 days ago, though it fluctuated more than was ideal. Today, it's holding 165 dead perfect. I have no loving idea. Still going to try to get it replaced because I don't feel safe leaving it unattended, and I bought it, in part, for multiday cooks.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Test Pattern posted:

Anova update! It worked well enough to do a cook at 142 2 days ago, though it fluctuated more than was ideal. Today, it's holding 165 dead perfect. I have no loving idea. Still going to try to get it replaced because I don't feel safe leaving it unattended, and I bought it, in part, for multiday cooks.

I did steaks Friday with the Anova since I was doing a pancetta with the polyscience. I set it 2F over what I wanted since that seemed to be the delta I am getting between what the Anova reads and what my thermometers read in the water. So at 133F (so the water would be about 131F) for 1 hr with a few new york strips they came out cooked past what I expected, nearly medium rather than medium rare. I will have to run it again and monitor the temp with a good thermometer so see how much variability I am getting in the bath, I am guessing that I am getting some movement.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Were they tough, or was the color wrong? I find if you want a sous vide steak to look red inside you need to let it breathe outside of the bag for a while before searing.

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

I have a friend who recently had a heart attack. In an attempt to stock her freezer with healthier goodies that she doesn't have to cook or do much with while she is recovering at home, I started thinking about the opportunities the sous vide offers - cooking with no added fat, but still being totally delicious, etc. I'd like to find a couple things that I could bag and cook for her and she'd just have to reheat that may be good frozen as well.

Has anyone tried re-freezing after cooking things like chicken or pork? I'd be concerned it would just kind of turn to mush. Is this something that might work, or should I stick to making/freezing foods "traditionally"?

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Chemmy posted:

Were they tough, or was the color wrong? I find if you want a sous vide steak to look red inside you need to let it breathe outside of the bag for a while before searing.

They were fine, not tough just cooked beyond what they would be normally at 131F (maybe like what i expect at 135F with the polyscience) so it makes me think that it isn't holding the temp consistent. I do a lot of steaks sous vide with my polyscience and 131F is how I do them for the family, that is the "medium-rare" that they like. Like I said, I will have to do some again and watch the temp to see if it is fluctuating.

jermsz
Nov 22, 2007

dotster posted:

They were fine, not tough just cooked beyond what they would be normally at 131F (maybe like what i expect at 135F with the polyscience) so it makes me think that it isn't holding the temp consistent. I do a lot of steaks sous vide with my polyscience and 131F is how I do them for the family, that is the "medium-rare" that they like. Like I said, I will have to do some again and watch the temp to see if it is fluctuating.

Ive always done it to 53C which is a touch lower, This allows for you to have a bit of control in the pan when searing.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Electric Sugar posted:

Has anyone tried re-freezing after cooking things like chicken or pork? I'd be concerned it would just kind of turn to mush. Is this something that might work, or should I stick to making/freezing foods "traditionally"?

We do this all of the time-the vacuum bags make it simple. Just put your puddled stuff into an ice bath, stick in the fridge, then freeze. Or bath to freezer if you remember. Then puddle back to 130ish to get warm. No real texture problem.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

jermsz posted:

Ive always done it to 53C which is a touch lower, This allows for you to have a bit of control in the pan when searing.

That is right where I do it if I am the only one eating but that is a but to rare for some of my family. I used the searzall for these so there wasn't much additional cooking.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

dalstrs posted:

I loved this when I made them Sous Vide Carrots

I'm going to be doing these (and pearl onions). I'm blaming you if my Thanksgiving is ruined.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Electric Sugar posted:

I have a friend who recently had a heart attack. In an attempt to stock her freezer with healthier goodies that she doesn't have to cook or do much with while she is recovering at home, I started thinking about the opportunities the sous vide offers - cooking with no added fat, but still being totally delicious, etc. I'd like to find a couple things that I could bag and cook for her and she'd just have to reheat that may be good frozen as well.

Why not just season the raw meat and freeze and cook it out of the freezer?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

I'm going to be doing these (and pearl onions). I'm blaming you if my Thanksgiving is ruined.

One of us, one of us!
So far I have done cranberries and sweet potato sous vide for thanksgiving, doing garlic mashed retro graded sous vide tonight. Tomorrow will do Turchetta.
I think the only things NOT sous vide that I am making are the deep fried whole turkey and sautéed Brussels sprouts. Those get a pass because they are cooked in hot fat.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Choadmaster posted:

I'll take the blame as long as when they are awesome you tell you family it's my fault.

Edit: My family did a small Thanksgiving dinner since I will be in Cancun over the rest of this week. I sous vide a bone in turkey breast. 144F for almost 5 hours. Then I salted, pepperd and dried in on a rack for 30 min. Then into a 450F degree for 10 min to ensure the outside was dry, then broiled until it was nicely browned. It was some of the best turkey I have ever had.

I love my sous vide machine.

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 26, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What's another cut of beef that's full of connective tissue that would benefit from long cook times. Oxtail?

edit: okay, so some googling turned up people doing oxtail for 100 hours, which sounds intriguing:
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149168-oxtail-sous-vide-best-times-and-temperatures/

Also, as a side discussion there it seems that a lot of meat sold as "boneless short rib" is throwing off people's sous vide results, because instead of being actual short rib meat, it's meat from the general vicinity which cooks very differently, and it's hard to tell what's what until you cook it.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 26, 2014

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Has there been any talk of any deals/sales going on for black friday?
I missed out on the $169 Anova and I was wondering if I needed to stay up late or get up early to catch any sort of deals.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

Also, as a side discussion there it seems that a lot of meat sold as "boneless short rib" is throwing off people's sous vide results, because instead of being actual short rib meat, it's meat from the general vicinity which cooks very differently, and it's hard to tell what's what until you cook it.

That's informative. It's quite nice, but it's not the same magic trick level of result.

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

Whiteycar posted:

Why not just season the raw meat and freeze and cook it out of the freezer?

Because I have the sous vide, not her, so it needs to be re-frozen. I am trying to cook food that she can eat later while she is recovering.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Electric Sugar posted:

If you are going to do this you should read up about how to cook-chill correctly, there are food safety things you need to worry about.

I think baldwin's practical guide to sous vide cooking covers it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So what can I do with the leftover juice from doing short ribs for 72 hours?

From what I've read on the internet is ranges from use it in a balsamic something sauce to get rid of it there's not enough. Anyone have any good recipes?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Plinkey posted:

FWIW I've never once had success using bag juice for anything. I always end up with weird poo poo coagulating in it. Others don't seem to have this problem though. :shrug:

dalstrs posted:

I'll take the blame as long as when they are awesome you tell you family it's my fault.

They were well received, so thanks. I don't know if I'd go as far as awesome, but then both they and the turchetta I did ended up doing an extended stay in the bath (just warming at 130 degrees) because the guy doing the ham showed up late with the ham still cold. This did more harm to the turchetta (not super moist) than the carrots though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno most bag juice is garbage but when I do 72 hour short rib the bag juice seems to be awesome ready-made jus

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno most bag juice is garbage but when I do 72 hour short rib the bag juice seems to be awesome ready-made jus

Yeah, I've only done 2-3 ribs at a time before but I'm doing around 7 pounds at the moment so I might try to make something out of it...maybe just a little red wine and whatever I have laying around so it's not too thick.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

My Anova yesterday started reading "System: Error" after spending a couple of hours doing vegetables at 183f. It's fine this morning, though. It's ten months old - should I try to swap it for a new unit?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Plinkey posted:

From what I've read on the internet is ranges from use it in a balsamic something sauce to get rid of it there's not enough. Anyone have any good recipes?

Bag juice is terrible, just get rid of it and make a sauce separately.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

What's the best way to thaw a large amount of frozen meat that was cooked sous vide then chilled and frozen? I have more than I can fit in my water bath.
I have a cooler that can fit all the frozen bags, but my Sansaire can't really work with that much volume. I'm thinking hot water at 170F will drop to 140F when I add 8 large bags of frozen (previously cooked) meat. Am I crazy?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I literally just googled this equation so hopefully I'm doing it right (the result seems reasonable):

(mass 1) (Δt 1) (specific heat capacity 1) = (mass 2) (Δt 2) (specific heat capacity 2)

Assuming you have an approximately equal mass of water and meat (you said lots of meat!), we can cut mass out of the equation. The specific heat capacity of water is about 4.2 and meat about 2.8 (actually varies a lot depending on what meat but this is a good average I think). So:

(x - 30) * 2.8 = (170 - x) * 4.2

So x = 114. That will be your final equilibrium temperature. That will be thawed. The real question is will it happen fast enough (the last bit will take forever really, so to pull a number from my rear end you might be looking more at closer to 110 in the center of the meat) and is that warm enough to feel right if you just sear and eat (probably not).

Why not throw it in the fridge to slow thaw the day before, then warm half in the sansaire and the other half in the cooler? Monitor the cooler closely though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

I literally just googled this equation so hopefully I'm doing it right (the result seems reasonable):

(mass 1) (Δt 1) (specific heat capacity 1) = (mass 2) (Δt 2) (specific heat capacity 2)

Assuming you have an approximately equal mass of water and meat (you said lots of meat!), we can cut mass out of the equation. The specific heat capacity of water is about 4.2 and meat about 2.8 (actually varies a lot depending on what meat but this is a good average I think). So:

(x - 30) * 2.8 = (170 - x) * 4.2

So x = 114. That will be your final equilibrium temperature. That will be thawed. The real question is will it happen fast enough (the last bit will take forever really, so to pull a number from my rear end you might be looking more at closer to 110 in the center of the meat) and is that warm enough to feel right if you just sear and eat (probably not).

Why not throw it in the fridge to slow thaw the day before, then warm half in the sansaire and the other half in the cooler? Monitor the cooler closely though.

If I do the cooler thing I will keep replenishing with boiling or hot water. I might just use the pot from my turkey fryer, if not the burner too and reheat that way.
I think I have 20 lbs of meat to reheat. I will make sure it gets to 140 in a safe amount of time.

Apparently at least two other people are bring meat too. Fifty pounds. Each.

We will be making tamales for days.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You're forgetting latent heat (the thawing) in the (heat lost = heat gained) equation above, but looks like it doesn't matter at this point.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hed posted:

You're forgetting latent heat (the thawing) in the (heat lost = heat gained) equation above, but looks like it doesn't matter at this point.

Well I know that it would be totally stupid for me to dump 20 pounds of frozen meat into several gallons of 170 F or maybe even boiling water and expect it to be both hot and safe to eat. The more I think about it the more I think giant turkey frier pot of water on the large turkey frier burner might be the way to go.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Wondering if anyone in the UK can suggest a supermarket option for suitable bags? Tried a large Waitrose and a Sainsbury's but they are all non-microwave.

Can source suitable ZipLocs via Amazon but would prefer to pick some up this weekend if I can!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't really see why a non-microwavable bag wouldn't be suitable for this. The way they heat up and the temperatures reached are very different

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Hed posted:

I guess this is why I got a C in physics. :science:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The tamale meat came out really well. The weird greenish look some of the meat got when first cooking was a total non issue, and cooking sous vide, frozen, and reheated in a big fuckoff pot of water kept to 145F for a couple hours resulted in meat that could be shredded easily in the bag and tasted amazing. I reduced the pot full of bag liquid from the six bags and added a little chile sauce and now I have sauce for Chile Colorado that is the beefiest chile-ist sauce ever.
The chicken that I did at 140 for a couple hours with chile sauce and then mashed in the bag and froze was pretty much unanimously everyone's favorite. Reheated in water on the stove monitored and kept to 140 for an hour or so.

Seriously, cooking and freezing sous vide had pretty much no detectable impact on quality when reheated gently (at or below original cooking temperature).

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Im stuck on how I should proceed unit wise.
My options as of this weekend considering black Friday/holiday sales:

Anova One $200
I could wait and see if Amazon drops this again to $169 or $149 in the future. It might happen I guess but who knows. Also at say $169 is this unit in any way better than the new Precision cooker if they are around the same price come January?

Sansaire $200
Im not seeing this on sale anywhere :(

Anova Precision Cooker $180
Currently has a coupon code 'HOLIDAY' which drops it to $149 with free shipping. The catch is I will have to wait until January to get it but in doing so, I would get the newer model.

Nomiku $300
Currently has a black Friday/cyber Monday deal with coupon code 'CYBERNOMDAY' that drops the price to $200. The unit at $300 I wasn't really considering. At $200 its a better catch but I think Id rather have the new wifi unit that is around the corner.

Nomiku Wifi $200
Id probably pick this up but waiting until April-ish is a long time away.
The Anova seems far and that's just January.

If everything was available now, I think Id be torn between the Anova Precision Cooker and the Nomiku wifi.

Im confused a bit as to why the older out of date equipment is so much more cost wise vs the new stuff on the horizon. It seems both the Nomiku wifi and Anova Precision are gaining features but at the same time dropping cost. In doing so are there some crazy features getting cut or omitted from the new ones to make them cost so much less?

What to do, what to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I can't speak for many of the cookers you listed but I have an Anova One and have been really impressed with it. I impulse bought it during a Goldbox deal for $130 after getting tired of waiting for my Anova Precision (that I'm still waiting for :saddowns:) and now after reading some of the other first impressions of the Precision in this thread, I'm kind of feeling like the One is the better of the two anyway.

So far my impressions of the One:

Pros: powerful, quick to heat, accurate temp controller, reliably keeps 4.5 gallons of water at temp without issue (I've gone up to 190 with no problems), solid construction

Cons: a lot bigger than expected (doesn't easily attach to any of my pots), sort of janky UI, some features missing i.e. ability to start timer automatically when temp is reached, no mobile support.

If the One goes on sale tomorrow for Cyber Monday I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up. Assuming mobile support isn't a must have for you, and you can deal with a little bit of UI quirkiness, it does what it's designed to do extremely well.