Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hypatias Homegirl posted:

Thanks, Green River has been added to the list of canoeing 'wants,' it looks beautiful. What were the fees like to canoe in the park? How was the shuttle?

Fees weren't bad, I don't remember exactly what they were because they were just lumped in our course fees. We rented all our river gear from Tex Riverways, and they drove us out and helped us with our launch. They also picked us up by speedboat on the Colorado and took us back to Moab. Even took care of our port-a-potties when we were all done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Shhh... Don't tell people how awesome the Moab area is. It's actually really horrible. Terrible weather, lovely views, no facilities anywhere.

No, you want to go to Yellowstone. No, really. Yellowstone is where it's at. Don't go to Moab.

I'll take one for the team on this. I'll make the sacrifice. I'll go to Moab and everyone else can go to Yellowstone.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yellowstone in the winter is actually really awesome (but expensive). There will be like six people total standing around watching old faithful go off on a saturday afternoon.

Moab is the poo poo and I have real fond memories of canoeing labyrinth canyon as a kid.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Spime Wrangler posted:

Yellowstone in the winter is actually really awesome (but expensive). There will be like six people total standing around watching old faithful go off on a saturday afternoon.

Moab is the poo poo and I have real fond memories of canoeing labyrinth canyon as a kid.

Yellowstone in winter is cheap if you just bring a tent or snow shovel.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Picnic Princess posted:

My husbands been experimenting with beer can stoves.

:catstare:That is my cat. Give me back my cat.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

TerminalSaint posted:

:catstare:That is my cat. Give me back my cat.

No, he loves me now. He likes to sleep on my down parka.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

I've lured him back with mine.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

Here's a cool hiking related story about a super awesome guy I worked with until I moved to Alberta: http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-11-25/hiking-once-saved-cambodian-refugees-life-and-now-its-his-therapy

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Guess I'll jump in this thread. I was into running as a hobby in NC, but as of last month I'm now living in Tucson AZ. My interest has shifted from running streets to hiking trails.

I already bought my first hydration bladder because, for the first time, a couple bottles didn't cut it. There's something unnerving about being in the desert with no water when it's 85f in November. Different planet out here, and I don't want to die in the spring.

Anyways, I'm in Tucson and I love to hike and explore the desert. I can jump in the op if need be.

Pics!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Dang, I could go for some of that right now. Some one died up here from exposure to cold/fatigue from deep snow while hiking on Saturday.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I was sitting around the other day watching the rain outside and I noticed that the feeling in my toes is completely back after a month or two of persistent numbness and tingling after my jmt hike. Been getting restless to go back out again but its close to winter now. I moved out to the West coast though so next year's season ought to be fun.

Any tips on decent winter camping near or not too far from the bay area?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Yiggy posted:

I was sitting around the other day watching the rain outside and I noticed that the feeling in my toes is completely back after a month or two of persistent numbness and tingling after my jmt hike. Been getting restless to go back out again but its close to winter now. I moved out to the West coast though so next year's season ought to be fun.

Anything in Bishop, Death Valley or the Bristlecone Pine area. All are over the sierras but your version of close my be closer than mine.

There are also a few beaches with camping but I gotta ask my cousin if someone else doesn't speak up.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Yiggy posted:

By winter camping, do you want snow or no snow? Because you can get both within a very short distance from the Bay.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Tigren posted:

By winter camping, do you want snow or no snow? Because you can get both within a very short distance from the Bay.

I have some cold weather camping gear but I'd like to avoid snow to the extent that I can.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
So there's a chance that I might move to Denver next summer...not 100% sure (might be San Francisco instead, or maybe I won't move at all), but since it's grey and wet and cold and dreary now I kind of want to start fantasizing about backpacking trips next year. Anyone have good resources for planning trips etc around Denver? I think I'd really be looking for 2-4 day trips though longer ones would be a consideration as well. I'm more of a hike and camp around lakes and stuff kind of person rather than into bagging peaks.

Going to be real interesting if I do move...being able to do shorter/weekend trips to the mountains sounds great.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Levitate posted:

So there's a chance that I might move to Denver next summer...not 100% sure (might be San Francisco instead, or maybe I won't move at all), but since it's grey and wet and cold and dreary now I kind of want to start fantasizing about backpacking trips next year. Anyone have good resources for planning trips etc around Denver? I think I'd really be looking for 2-4 day trips though longer ones would be a consideration as well. I'm more of a hike and camp around lakes and stuff kind of person rather than into bagging peaks.

Going to be real interesting if I do move...being able to do shorter/weekend trips to the mountains sounds great.

Wild Basin, I know i am a broken record with Wild Basin but it's one of the most beautiful spots on earth. But yeah it is not a 3-4 day trip.

There is also the colorado trail, the 14ers, and many other trails are accessible from the Denver metro.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Levitate posted:

ORIC online has about the best trail suggestion listing and trail info, but there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive local hiking/backpacking forum or anything that I've found (man do I miss nwhikers.net).

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ropes4u posted:

Wild Basin, I know i am a broken record with Wild Basin but it's one of the most beautiful spots on earth. But yeah it is not a 3-4 day trip.

As in it's a shorter trip than that or longer? Assuming shorter since I found a Thunder Lake hike in Wild Basin that was 13-ish miles from the trailhead. Shorter trips are great if they're something I could do on the weekend

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Does no one else like hiking guidebooks? When I'm just getting to know an area, I find they're a good resource for learning what's out there, and a good starting point for building my own outings. Quality is variable, but I find them more consistently useful than crowdsourced stuff like AllTrails, which is often illegible garbage.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Levitate posted:

As in it's a shorter trip than that or longer? Assuming shorter since I found a Thunder Lake hike in Wild Basin that was 13-ish miles from the trailhead. Shorter trips are great if they're something I could do on the weekend

It's short but worth the time. I have traveled to world and it one of my favorite places to spend time. You will have little company after the first 3 to 5 miles.

Now that it's on my mind i might have to go there this Sunday to do some snowshoeing.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I'm moving to southern New Hampshire in January. I know about the White Mountains to the north, but what is else is good in Massachusetts, Vermont, and western Maine?

Can anybody recommend specific destinations in the Whites for 2-3 day trips?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Levitate posted:

Anyone have good resources for planning trips etc around Denver? I think I'd really be looking for 2-4 day trips though longer ones would be a consideration as well. I'm more of a hike and camp around lakes and stuff kind of person rather than into bagging peaks.

+ wild basin in rocky mountain national park for a few reasons. It's one of the less popular areas because you have to hike decently far to get to the scenery. It's a busy trail up until the waterfalls then it really starts to thin out.

Ouzel and upper ouzel are nice sites worth checking out and incredibly scenic. The only problem is you have to backtrack to get to thunder lake. The view from the toilet on ouzel is breathtaking. Even though it was 20 degrees and 4" of snow on the ground I was speechless while doing my business.

Thunder lake is great. The sites are fairly separate from one another and there are a few. There is a great day trip from thunder lake up to boulder grand pass and I would not go to thunder lake without checking it out. The views from on top of the continental divide are amazing. You can get up higher to a few easy peaks once you're up there.

To extend the trip, head to lion lakes and snowbank lake. We never made it up there but I hear it's a nice way of making it a longer trip.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Awesome, thanks all. I do poke around guidebooks but I feel like it's pretty good to get some first hand info as well, plus like I said I don't know if I'll end up moving there for sure. Haven't ever done any hiking or backpacking in Colorado so that'd be a fun bit of exploring, and not too hard to get to the Wind Rivers from there as well...still a bit of a hike to Idaho or the Sierras though

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Interesting polar bear attacking a guy story http://www.vice.com/video/polar-bear-man-full-151

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

turevidar posted:

I'm moving to southern New Hampshire in January. I know about the White Mountains to the north, but what is else is good in Massachusetts, Vermont, and western Maine?

Southwestern NH has a lot of small mountains that make for good day hikes, and the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway is a 50 mile trail with shelters if you're looking for a multi-day close to home(though naturally not as dramatic as the Whites). I was a ranger at Monadnock which can be a nice day-hike if you stay off the main trails, or go off-season; it's good fun in the winter if you've got traction. I'd be happy to answer any Monadnock specific questions you might have.

I wish I could give you more advice regarding the Whites, but I'm a lazy bum and couldn't be arsed to make the drive up more than once or twice a year.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Verman posted:

+ wild basin in rocky mountain national park for a few reasons. It's one of the less popular areas because you have to hike decently far to get to the scenery. It's a busy trail up until the waterfalls then it really starts to thin out.

Ouzel and upper ouzel are nice sites worth checking out and incredibly scenic. The only problem is you have to backtrack to get to thunder lake. The view from the toilet on ouzel is breathtaking. Even though it was 20 degrees and 4" of snow on the ground I was speechless while doing my business.

Thunder lake is great. The sites are fairly separate from one another and there are a few. There is a great day trip from thunder lake up to boulder grand pass and I would not go to thunder lake without checking it out. The views from on top of the continental divide are amazing. You can get up higher to a few easy peaks once you're up there.

To extend the trip, head to lion lakes and snowbank lake. We never made it up there but I hear it's a nice way of making it a longer trip.

Have you been in the last few weeks? If I can drag my wife out of the comedy club early tonight I was thinking about a snowshoe / hike to lake tmr?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
No I've only been out there a few times and between May and August.

You will definitely need snowshoes and certain points might already be impassable due to steep narrow parts of the trail.

Boulder grand pass is a class 3 scramble with good conditions and would be impossible without cramp ons and ice climbing gear in the winter.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Verman posted:

ice climbing gear in the winter.

If not tomorrow next weekend will find me on snowshoed. Snowshoeing is actually pretty fun and a nice distraction until summer.

Wrong thread but I so taking a class on ice climbing this winter, just need to find one.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

turevidar posted:

The Whites are my favorite and will definitely be your destination for a normal weekend hike. Definitely check out Acadia as soon as you're able, and Baxter/Katahdin and Mansfield are worth visits. Monadnock is okay, but it's ridiculously crowded in good weather. Pick up the AMC guidebook to the Whites and put your own routes together off the descriptions, it's a fantastic book.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Heading to Yosemite over New Years and was curious if theres a recommended cheap-ish pair of snow pants of some sort. I have no idea what to really look for and we'll only be there for 3-4 days.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just wanna say thanks to whoever recommended Salomon GTX boots earlier on. Picked up a pair of 4D GTX at REI and goddamn these are the most comfortable hikers I've ever worn. Put on 15 miles on the first weekend I had em and didn't have a single issue at all.

KoB posted:

Heading to Yosemite over New Years and was curious if theres a recommended cheap-ish pair of snow pants of some sort. I have no idea what to really look for and we'll only be there for 3-4 days.

In the same vein, I'm looking for a slimmish waterproof shell pant for hiking. My current pair are super baggy and I feel like I'm wearing JNCOs.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 9, 2014

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

KoB posted:

I've been using Marmot Scree Softshell Pants for snow and cold weather hiking. The DWR and softshell fabric shed snow with no problems. The pockets and waistband are fleece lined for warmth. And the ankle zippers are generously high to allow for pulling the pants on over boots.

Don't know how well they would do with rain (haven't worn in that condition yet). For snow they are great.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

I'm getting tired of my plastic sporks snapping in half! I'm looking for a good compact kit with plates, cups, utensils for two people and utensils like a spatula and possibly whisk for my teflon pot. Preferably everything would fit russian doll-style.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I want to walk up a big hill (approx 1100m) but it's a long way from where I live, can I work up to it by climbing a local 150m hill 8 times or is that not how it works?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

How high is it total in elevation? Ascending over 3000 feet might introduce some altitude issues if you're already starting from a decent height (like going from 5k feet to 8k feet or more). Other than that, I think it'd be really drat boring goingg up and down a hill 8 times to prep. You'd probably do better just hiking miles in general and making sure you have comfortable footwear. If you're going up over 1000 meters then I assume you'll also have to come back down which makes for a pretty long day.

Then again it's just walking and as long as you take care of your feet and legs you'll probably be ok!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Unless you're in terrible shape you could probably just do it. Your legs might be sore by the end of it but there shouldn't be a need to build up to it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It doesn't hurt to practice on slopes before going big, but I'd do that just to see how my joints are holding up. If you have decent endurance it should be simple. My first real hike was 1000m up on a 9km round trip trail, back in 2003. I was actually quite out of shape but managed anyway.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I took a fun 8 mile hike yesterday with my favorite hiking buddy and my new camera.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Any suggestions for SLC/Logan UT area hikes? I don't want to have to bring my entire winter kit (snowshoes, etc.) but I'd be cool for, say, a microspikes-needed tour. TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
Can I get some boot suggestions? I need something that's $150 max, wider toebox, waterproof, and very preferrably resoleable. Preferably something on the lighter side, I mostly day hike or ultralight short backpack. I'm in Washington so it really does need to be waterproof. Cheaper is always fine, it's just more I can spend on other goodies.

Also my big toes point outward a lot more than most people and I get massive callouses on the sides of my big toes when I hike. Is my best bet polypropylene liner socks with soft wool outer socks? Or is there a better way to go? Should I even be wearing boots? I haven't tried trail runners or shoes because I rarely see anything I trust to stay dry.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 16, 2014