Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Usually a manner of both, since ultra--however misused--is supposed to mean some sort of final and total evolution of possible iterations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

I Before E posted:

It's what you go out and do with your droogs when you're all hosed up on milk and Beethoven.
I know the term comes from A Clockwork Orange, but I've seen movies with way more gore and sadism so I don't quite know what they meant by it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well referring specifically to A Clockwork Orange the term "ultra-violence" was just one of the many pieces of slang/language that Anthony Burgess (the original author) created to help illustrate how deviant these boys were from mainstream culture and make them seem even more alien and thus frightening to so-called ordinary people reading the book or watching the movie. It doesn't really have a 1:1 correlation to English as we know it beyond "extreme violence."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do victims of ultra violence become infra dead

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Baron Bifford posted:

I know it sounded like a stupid question, but I don't know whether "ultra" means "especially brutal" or "vividly depicted".

Yeah I meant both. Is this a confusing concept for you dudes, really? Batman punching a dude in the stomach is not quite in the same category as

No film can possibly depict this kind of page composition, I'm not even going to bother to ask you to name one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ang Lee's Hulk :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It did try, and it came closer than most (whatever else is good or bad about that movie) but nothing like Quitely at his best.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

No film can possibly depict this kind of page composition, I'm not even going to bother to ask you to name one.

SynthOrange posted:

Ang Lee's Hulk :v:

The movie equivalent of that would be rapid montage of close-ups preceded and followed by a lavish slow-motion shot.

Split-screen in movies is used to show something going on in two (or more) places at the same time (the only people who could do that well are Brian De Palma and the 24 crew), panel size in comics is used to measure the passage of time in depicted images, number of panels determines the number of "cuts".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

panel size in comics is used to measure the passage of time in depicted images, number of panels determines the number of "cuts".

You're still describing it in terms of comics just being films-without-motion, which is only half-correct.

The fact is the reader is completely able to dictate how long they spend viewing any given panel or segment of the page and in what order they do it, which allows for a sense of comprehensive picture on both a micro and macro level that is entirely user-dictated. Since movies move at a constant linear pace there is simply no way for them to replicate the reader's experience of those "cuts" even if they transfer every single panel onto screen in a manner most consistent with the "intended" flow of the page (or even put all the small panels up on-screen at once in motion, which would literally translate the page in a 1:1 way but be far too busy and moving for any viewer to get a full picture of), to say nothing of how those particular Quitely pages use the grouping of small panels to provide a scattershot portrait of the chaos unfolding on one geographic location implied by the broader composition of where the characters are relative to one another.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 23, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

We3's action is also structured like that in support of the story, not just because it looks awesome, which is why I suppose Morrison gets some credit as well - one of the scientists in the story explains that the animals perceive time and motion very differently from humans, and Quitely is obviously trying to portray that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't really like We3 at all but it has some really cool visual tricks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Another thing Frank Quitely did

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is that Xavier or Luthor?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

It's Grant Morrison, but he's holding Xavier in his left hand.

Who is the scantily-clad woman in the top hat, Zatanna, or someone else?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think it's probably both, since there's some free mixing of DC and Marvel characters. At the very least it is certainly Patrick Stewart.

e: oh that's Morrison? Huh he sure looks like Patrick Stewart :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's Zatanna. She was the "name" character Morrison used in his very underrated "Seven Soldiers" collection of mini-series that ran before Final Crisis, and one of the hallmarks of Zatanna's mini was that she was dressed in skimpy--even for her--fetish gear pretty much all the time, which was weird because another mini Bulleteer made the fetishization of female superheroes a central plot theme.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

It's Zatanna. She was the "name" character Morrison used in his very underrated "Seven Soldiers" collection of mini-series that ran before Final Crisis, and one of the hallmarks of Zatanna's mini was that she was dressed in skimpy--even for her--fetish gear pretty much all the time, which was weird because another mini Bulleteer made the fetishization of female superheroes a central plot theme.

Weird! I read Seven Soldiers a few years ago, but I don't remember Quitely drawing Zatanna or her ever dressing like that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Quitely didn't do the Zatanna mini, and honestly she was never dressed that skimpy in the mini, but the top hat is a dead giveaway that it is Zatanna.

E-- \/ \/ \/ Nah that's just part of Quitely's infamous "potato face."

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 24, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Does Grant Morrison always look like he just got out of an hour-long hot tub soak in reality?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He looks sort of like Pete Postlethwaite with less hair and a smaller nose.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I thought he looks closer to Captain Cold in New Frontier.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Something something Spider Jerusalem.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

McSpanky posted:

Does Grant Morrison always look like he just got out of an hour-long hot tub soak in reality?

Here's a photo from the same time as Quitely took the reference photo:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just checked the SS Zatanna mini, and apart from one shot from behind where she's sitting on the floor only wearing fishnets, it's nowhere out of the ordinary.
She's actually wearing pants half the time.

e: Err.. anyhow.. speaking of.. Ryan Sook is a Good/Bad Comic Book Artist.
Too bad he's just on Futures End covers.

e: Great covers, though, they are.

ee: Oh. Actually, I didn't check Zatanna #4 in the 2nd SS collection. I concede!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 24, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah I meant both. Is this a confusing concept for you dudes, really? Batman punching a dude in the stomach is not quite in the same category as

this page is a favorite of mine:

We3 is such a great comic. probably in the top 3 Morrison books for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

thespaceinvader posted:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I'm pretty sure that's Rabum Alal.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

what the gently caress is written in his beard?

Edit: Its a portrait of Alan Moore, and the words written in the beard are various works of his.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 24, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Titles of things he's written. I can see the LoEG, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing at least

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Quitely didn't do the Zatanna mini, and honestly she was never dressed that skimpy in the mini, but the top hat is a dead giveaway that it is Zatanna.

It is from the illustration for the Playboy interview, probably the editor's request :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Frank Quitely does cool things with layouts but he draws ugly as gently caress people.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Frank Quitely does cool things with layouts but he draws ugly as gently caress people.
There are a billion beautiful, sculpted humans shown in comics every week--variety is good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

There are a billion beautiful, sculpted humans shown in comics every week--variety is good.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

zoux posted:

same with Dillon, Infantino, Tan Eng Huat, etc..

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't particularly care for Dillon either.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If I want great looking people and eye candy art I'll look to Sook and Hughes. If i want awesome art and sequential storytelling and layout and so on I'll look to guys like JH Williams aND Quietly. If I want great traditional sequential art and storytelling something akin to a blockbuster I'll go with Immonen or Hitch. For mood and tone someone like Mignolia or Bill S. told through lighting/shade and color.

It's all great and valid but guys like Quietly and Williams are a notch above.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 24, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

zoux posted:

He's come a long way. His work on The Authority was atrocious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And y'all give Noto poo poo for same-face.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Quitely's too busy doing bomb rear end poo poo like

to worry about your :airquote: pretty faces :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
His pages in Sandman: Endless Nights were probably some of his best work, being inked and colored by him too. He's credited as a "painter" but I'm assuming the whole thing was done digitally.