Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Resident Evil 4 - EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU. EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU. WHADDA YA SELLEN? EH HEH HEH, THANK YOU

I seriously think there's a market for a game where you have to play as the shopkeeper in an RE4 type game and besides buying and selling and making money you also have to fight through environments to get ahead of the actual protagonist or lose out on business.

e: Vita progress!

BEAT: SteamWorld Dig - a nice casual digging action platformer. Kinda like Terraria but without the building or challenge or random world. Nice graphics, satisfying gameplay, not too long. A nice game.

NULLED: Luftrausers - I kinda like this game but there's not a lot to it and I'm pretty sure I've gotten as far as I'm going to get as the remaining challenges either seem like complete bullshit or are bugged out. Oh well.

BEAT?: Binding of Isaac Rebirth - I wouldn't really say this is a better version of the original game but it's different enough for me to play it some more. Beat Mom's Heart a bunch of times, I'll probably keep playing this off and on but don't want to get sucked back in too hard. Also the Vita version has some performance issues and is hella dark in places.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Doing a bit of housekeeping before switching to a new PC.
Most of these games are nulled because I have played them a bit and then not touched them for months, which in my book means they are probably not that interesting to me after all.

Euro Truck Simulator 2
It was pretty fun and chill to drive around even though I never got the hang of parking with a big rear end trailer. Steam doesn't even register when I last played it, so farewell trucker on your European journeys.

FUEL
A very pretty open world racing game I really enjoyed after adding that mod that fixed a lot of the original mistakes the developers made.
Again, can't see when I last played it, so good luck race driver, in that strange apocalyptic wasteland you drive around in.

May's Mysteries: The Secret of Dragonville
I had hoped it was a nice mix of different kind of fun puzzles. Well there are plenty opf puzzles, but the game is just boring.

Nimble Quest
This was a pretty drat fun snake game, and I got it for 50 cents, so that made it even better. I know I'll never be able to finish it as I started to rage quit on the later levels, but it was drat fun while it lasted, and if you didn't grab it around Halloween, be sure to check it out during xmas sale.

Puzzle Quest 2
Good God, I had forgotten how much I actually hated the first game. The story was quirky but some of the puzzles where just so loving annoying and everything takes ages to do.
I don't think I even got past the first puzzle before uninstalling.

RUSH
Seems like a pretty chill puzzle thing and I beat the first world without any problems (it's kind of an extended tutorial though), but I just know I'm not in it for the long run.

Unreal Tournament 3: Black Edition
I played the poo poo out of the original UT and also one of the next ones, all Single Player with bots, but this one just didn't work for me. And Steam does not know when I last played it so bye bye manshooter 52.

Beaten
Sea Legends: Phantasmal Light
An OK Hidden Object game. I just needed to have finished something within the last couple of weeks v:shobon:v

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Nulled: Assassin's Creed III
Started it up today, had the thought 'alright let's get through this thing', thought about that thought, uninstalled the game. It's not terrible, it's just that I don't feel any compelling reason to keep going. Game play is fine but I've had my fill of it after five AC games. Instead I'm starting Divinity Original Sin.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Beat:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - This is one of those games where the overall product was much better than it's individual parts/mechanics. The combat was ok. The dodging felt off, although that may be because I played this soon after finishing Bayonetta where the combat mechanics are overall a lot tighter. The Uncharted-style platforming was just kind of boring, and the puzzles were fun at times. The story was whatever, the Patrick Stewart voice acting was ace, and the game was really pretty (outside of cutscenes). I really liked some of the enemies' designs too (the scarecrows and the abominable toys come to mind). Overall a fun game, but I can see why people were turned off quickly. It doesn't help that the beginning of the game just drags. Also 1 titan fight would've been enough, seriously.

Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil and Lost Mission - Does anyone care about Doom 3 anymore? I sure don't. RoE and Lost Mission have all the same problems vanilla Doom 3 has without adding much of value. The gravity gun felt pointless as it was always easier to just shoot demons. The new powers with the heart were kind of neat (sadly not present in LM), and I always like slow-mo. LM's hellscapes were the best so far.

Deus Ex: The Fall - A hilariously shoddy port of an iOS game. A bite-sized DXHR prequel that feels cheap. I understand the budget was probably pretty small but the whole game feels rushed. I ran into numerous bugs in the 5 or so hours it took to beat. The graphics look like a mish-mash of early 2000's 3D and early 2010's stuff. Also that ending :eyepop: At least it wasn't freezing on me every few minutes like on my iPad.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Hey guys, I've got some good news! I finished a game :toot:

BEAT - Full Bore: Excellent block puzzler with some really fun exploring and adorable boar characters. Haven't heard a lot of talk about this game, but anyone who likes puzzlers should definitely give it a shot.

So, Full Bore is being moved into the clean up category because there's only a few achievements to go, meaning I've got an empty slot in my active games!

And according to Steam roulette that spot goes to...Dustforce! Which is actually pretty okay, since I've been meaning to give it a shot for a while now.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BEAT - Wolfenstein: The New Order: You shoot future Nazis in the face with chunky futuristic weapons, fun! Worth overhauling my PC for. Would replay but probably not 100% complete. I'm not an achievement whore and hunting down collectibles in any game is a pain in the rear end.

BEAT - Homeworld: This game has one of the best campaigns in an RTS, and that is saying alot from someone who thinks all RTS campaigns are boring poo poo. Any game that ends with a Yes song gets an A+ in my book. Gearbox better not gently caress up the HD remaster. :argh:

BEAT - XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within: Thank you Guavamoment for gifting me this game, it was a blast. I will admit I finished this on Easy difficultly but that's only because I suck at turn based strategy, despite it set to Easy it was actually pretty intense and stressful, I can't imagine how normal and beyond will be.

NULLED - A whole bunch of crap. Notable entries include Titan Quest: Immortal Throne, Terraria, FUEL, Torchlight I & II and Euro Truck Simulator 2. I enjoyed these games, but have played the crap out of them and want to move on. The rest were junk I didn't like or stupid indie games I wasn't going to play.

NOW PLAYING - Red Faction: Guerrilla: Now that Games For Windows Live has been patched out, I'm willing to give this Space rear end in a top hat simulator another chance. Enjoying it so far, it's like a cross between Saint's Row, Blast Corps, and Total Recall. I fear it will wear out it's welcome however, as most sandbox games tend to do.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 20, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Can you even beat Euro Truck Simulator 2?

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
BEAT
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - This is the ultimate shooting gallery game that's just long enough to stay fun to the end without ever slowing down. Really funny writing, too.
Painkiller: Hell & Damnation - If this was just an HD remake of the original Painkiller it would have been awesome. Instead they crowbarred in a bunch of really stupid poo poo, liberally reworked the game mechanics and later levels and pretty much ruined what little nostalgia I had left for this series.
PAYDAY 2 - It only took me about 147 hours over the past year, but I finally reached level 100 and graduated to Infamous. Now that it's "beat," I'm already up to level I-75 (after just another 17 hours - apparently there was a major tweak to how fast you level over the summer) and only have a few contracts left to do on Death Wish. Once I get those and advance to Infamy V I'll consider it complete.
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel - I really liked this game at first, even the O2 kits and low gravity, but about halfway through it started to sour and the final act was just a chore to slog through, even with a co-op buddy the whole way. We've since re-installed Borderlands 2 since that was a better game and we still need to do the DLC. Back-to-back it's almost painful how much better the older game looks and plays. This is what happens when sequels get farmed out to third-party devs.

NEW
Binary Domain
Contagion
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Somehow I've played MW and MW3 but not this one?
Firefall - This is a really great F2PMMOFPSRPG with incredible detail and production quality. I've sunk 46 hours in, I haven't paid a dime of real money and that hasn't handicapped me at all. Everything you could pay "Red Beans" for is purely cosmetic or quick convenience. You can play as all the classes on one character, leveling up each independently. I've got them all up to level 15 and my engineer up to 20 (out of 40).
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell - Pre-ordered the day it became available because I have no shame.
Blade Symphony
Devil May Cry 4
Transistor
Shadow Warrior
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box

NULLED
Tabletop Simulator - Nothing to "beat," but the Pokémon TCG mod on Steam Workshop is great for some table-flipping rage.

I guess I should also note that I'm noticing more and more games coming out like Evolve and Far Cry 4 listing DirectX 11 in their minimum system requirements. Which means my GeForce 9800's have pretty much hit the end of the line as far as new AAA games go. My Core 2 Duo and eight-year old motherboard aren't helping, either. A new PC is at least a couple of months down the road if I don't spend a dime on anything else, but I will, so I guess I have more time than ever to chisel this backloggery down.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

ACPaco posted:

NEW
Binary Domain

I really recommend you play Binary Domain, it's pretty short (took me 7 hours to beat) and it's fairly underrated. There are some technical issues (The controls suck and the voice command gimmick doesn't work, thank god you can disable it) but it has some really neat ideas and the story isn't bad.

If I had to describe it I'd say it's what happens when you mix Japan, Blade Runner and Gears of War.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Some changes.

Dustforce - NULLED
Didn't think the controls were tight enough for a skill platformer, and since there's not much else to do in the game, I nulled it.

Obulis - SENT TO BACKLOG
Fun game, but didn't feel like a puzzle game with Full Bore still on cleanup, so I sent this back to the backlog for now.

Claire and Always Sometimes Monsters - ACTIVE
Claire seems like a fun simple Silent Hill copy, and Always Sometimes Monsters could be interesting, but seems a bit eh after 15 minutes. Still willing to give it a shot though.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It takes a while for Always Sometimes Monsters to get interesting, but it's an interesting look at life.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

superstepa posted:

If I had to describe it I'd say it's what happens when you mix Japan, Blade Runner and Gears of War.

Not to mentiona really good sci-fi B-movie, especially when it comes to cheesy but great dialogue as well as characters. The story's pacing also felt like it was ripped right out of a good summer Hollywood blockbuster.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BEAT - Red Faction: Guerrilla
I had a blast liberating Mars by driving monster trucks into buildings, blowing everything up in sight and just being a Space rear end in a top hat in general. It's basically a slightly more serious Saint's Row (which makes sense since both are made by the same developer) crossed with Blast Corps and Total Recall. Will likely replay again sometime, don't think I'll go for 100% completion and achievements as they require playing multiplayer, hunting down collectibles, and completing bullshit demolition challenges such as destroying a smokestack with just a propane tank and three pistol bullets, gently caress that.

NOW PLAYING - Red Faction: Armageddon
Kinda on a Mars kick so I'll just continue with the sequel to Guerrilla. I've heard this one has gotten mixed reviews. Can't be that bad, right? :shrug:

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

COMPLETED - Full Bore
All achievements unlocked, though I did use a guide for the "finish the game with less than 10% complete" one. A very, very good game, and everyone should buy it because apparently the developers are still trying to make back the money that went into it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

BEAT - Red Faction: Guerrilla
I had a blast liberating Mars by driving monster trucks into buildings, blowing everything up in sight and just being a Space rear end in a top hat in general. It's basically a slightly more serious Saint's Row (which makes sense since both are made by the same developer) crossed with Blast Corps and Total Recall.

I've been saying for a while now that Volition needs to incorporate Red Faction style building destruction into Saints Row. They have yet to implement this clearly brilliant idea.

quote:

NOW PLAYING - Red Faction: Armageddon
Kinda on a Mars kick so I'll just continue with the sequel to Guerrilla. I've heard this one has gotten mixed reviews. Can't be that bad, right? :shrug:

There's kind of two things going on with all the flak Armageddon gets.

The first is that a lot of people expected Red Faction Guerrilla 2, and were disappointed when what they got was Red Faction 3.

The second and far more severe problem is that while it improves on a lot of things from Guerilla, it also completely fucks up a lot of things. Like, it's more stable and you have a repairgun, but there's less stuff to destroy. The Magnet Gun is the best weapon ever, but 90% of the enemies in the game are incredibly annoying to fight. There's more of a storyline, but it's incredibly brain-damaged. The engine can support much larger and more complex buildings, but you only see this in like one mission and the rest is all shacks in caves. Etc.

I rather enjoyed it, but I think how much you enjoy it will come down to how much the improvements outweigh the complete fuckups for you, because it has a lot of both.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
COMPLETED: Child of Light. The gameplay, art, and soundtrack were glorious. The writing would have been OK if they'd gotten someone of Dr. Seuss's caliber to do the writing. I'm aware that's a tall order. It's still about how good you'd have to be to get away with that. Still, it seems to have made back its dev costs and then some, so that's good. Ubi's midscale game dev range has almost all the "big company" games I care about in it.

BEATEN: Solaris. Yes. For the Atari 2600. I believe this is technically the oldest unbeaten beatable game I had, since I got it about when it came out, nearly 30 years ago. (The Atari was only recently re-hooked up). I got to what I thought was about the endgame and then decided I'd use savestates to get the rest of the way.

I was actually at the halfway point. This game is mean. Even with savestate abuse I locked myself out of victory several times and had to restart.

But I won.

:woop: :cool: :woop: :woop:

NEW GAME: Defy Gravity. 30 cent impulse purchase.
ONGOING: World of Xeen replay, Typing of the Dead Overkill, Sunless Sea content rollouts.
ON DECK FROM THE BACKLOG: Not sure, really. Maybe finally pick up Shadowrun Returns again.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: King's Bounty: Crossworlds

Like KB: The Legend, it's fun for a while, but the fun runs out long before the game does. In KBTL, I played a Mage, but things got extremely tedious towards the end as every fight was "spam most powerful spells, win, run around in circles until mana regenerates". Here I played a Warrior, but that just meant I was trading one kind of tedium for another: having to run all over the goddamn world, through multiple loading zones, to replenish my army every few battles.

Making things worse, the game actively discourages trying out different army compositions. Character skills that provide unit bonuses are race-specific, expensive, and cannot be respecced; most items that provide bonuses are similarly specific; and replacing your army with a different one is ruinously expensive. Storing the old army for later use is a pain in the rear end, too, since castles where you can garrison units are few and far between and each one only lets you store three stacks.

Of course, since all recruitable units are randomly generated, you may be forced to try different army compositions. Those necromancers and skeleton archers look like the core of a sweet undead-themed army? Too bad, they're the only ones in the entire game. And you can't even check a guide to make sure.

Based on the number of godstones I have, I'm about 25% of the way through the game. Based on area explored, more like 50%. Either way, it was fun while it lasted but I'm not going to keep playing for another 30-90 hours of not-fun.

Nulled: Manhole

Like Spelunx, this is another one I have fond childhood memories of and will probably show to my son once he stops trying to eat the mouse. But there's no real goal or ending.

Deleted: Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy

I don't own this game nor have I ever, so I have no idea why it's in my backlog. :psyduck:

Nulled: Lugaru HD

It's Quentin Tarantino's Watership Down, basically. Actually pretty fun, but too hard for me.

Nulled: Race the Sun (laptop game)

It was fun for a while. It's not fun anymore; I've been stuck on the challenges for a while now and every user-created level is a plate of wet dog poo poo. Today's features invisible walls, what fun.

Nulled: Marathon: EVIL

First level is large and consists almost entirely of locked doors.
Second level immediately ambushes you with a bunch of bullet-sponge enemies.

Now Playing: Marathon: Missed Island

A single level rather than a whole campaign, this is both a tutorial for some extremely inventive and perverse mapping techniques, and a demake of Myst in the Marathon engine. No, really. It only implements Myst proper, not any of the other Ages, so it's quite short; despite that, I can't figure out how to power the rocket. Resetting the circuit breaker is trivial in Myst but seems to require an Uplink Chip here, which I can't find.

Now Playing: Marathon: Devil in a Blue Dress

The first total conversion for Marathon, remade for Marathon 2 and then updated for Aleph One.

Now Playing: ??? (laptop game)

No idea what I'm going to play on the laptop next. Might just gently caress around with Factorio again, since there's a new version out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Nulled: Lugaru HD

It's Quentin Tarantino's Watership Down, basically. Actually pretty fun, but too hard for me.

Wait, what? I've owned this forever, from back before it was even on Steam, and all I remember was being an animal, just running around. Your description makes it sound actually good.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, what? I've owned this forever, from back before it was even on Steam, and all I remember was being an animal, just running around. Your description makes it sound actually good.

I did an extended writeup earlier in this thread that should disabuse you of that notion.

The physics engine has been updated several times and this has occasionally resulted in different hilarious bugs. One other goon playing this was telling me how every time the main character dropped an object it would vibrate and jitter around on the terrain, never properly coming to rest and occasionally just rocketing over the horizon.

I, instead, got to punt werewolves into orbit. :black101:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Good god, ok, nevermind.

Also, I definitely got this game as part of one of the first humble bundles, back when they were few and far between. Came with Gish, World of Goo, Braid (maybe?) and probably Crayon Physics. This was back in the day before everyone started porting their games to OS X, and even with the dearth of titles available, I STILL didn't play those games (already played World of Goo on Wii, and Braid on the 360).

Man, gently caress Lugaru.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Good god, ok, nevermind.

Also, I definitely got this game as part of one of the first humble bundles, back when they were few and far between. Came with Gish, World of Goo, Braid (maybe?) and probably Crayon Physics. This was back in the day before everyone started porting their games to OS X, and even with the dearth of titles available, I STILL didn't play those games (already played World of Goo on Wii, and Braid on the 360).

Man, gently caress Lugaru.

It was in the very first one, which meant it came alongside World of Goo, Penumbra Overture, and Aquaria; none of those are comparisons it does favourably in.

On the other hand, that bundle also included Gish, so Lugaru manages to not be the worst game in the bundle!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ToxicFrog posted:

On the other hand, that bundle also included Gish, so Lugaru manages to not be the worst game in the bundle!
I knew it wasn't just me!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed the fighting in Lugaru more than the puzzles in Braid, by a long shot. Its a pretty short game to work through in any case. Like 2 or 3 hours from what I recall?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Re: Lugaru. I haven't played the HD version but I remember really liking it, not enough games do physics-based brawling. The difficulty spikes like crazy when the wolves show up, but there are a couple ways to beat them reliably if you don't have the reflexes to counter.

1. They block sweeps a lot less often than they block everything else, and you can do pretty good damage just by kicking them on the ground

2. This way feels like cheating, and you can't do it on every level: drop a sword for them to pick up. They do way less damage with it and the sword is really easy to counter

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BEAT - Red Faction: Armageddon

Going from an open world Mars building demolition funfest to a sometimes dull linear corridor third person shooter feels like a step backwards on the developer's part, I can see why this didn't sell well and killed the franchise. However despite this I had some fun with it and did appreciate the attempt to return to the series' roots. Don't play this for story as it is pants on head retarded and the main character is a huge idiot, it makes Guerrilla's paper-thin plot Shakespeare in comparison.

Instead of fighting an oppressive corporation or military like in previous Red Faction games, you fight....alien bugs that aren't really that fun to fight, and occasionally evil cultists that appear to have escaped from Warhammer 40K. Early on it's okay, but I got real tried of fighting the bugs especially once they started bringing out the bullet sponges who can take almost all of your rocket ammo to kill, there should have been more cultist battles because those guys are fun to fight.

The weapon selection is okay, but nowhere near as good as Guerrilla's. There's no arc welder, no exploding sawblade launcher, and the nanorifle got hella nerfed. The magnet gun is alot of fun however and you also get a unicorn that farts out rainbow lasers either for completing the game or as an hidden easter egg, which is neat, and I'm kinda surprised it didn't show up in Saint's Row 4, which is all about silly weapons. You also get some Mass Effect style powers which are fun to use, and a character upgrade system. There's also some vehicle segments which were good, the best basically being a tribute to Descent, they should make a new Descent using this game's engine.

Would I complete Red Faction: Armageddon? Hell no, some of the achievements seem like they'd be a huge pain in the rear end to get. Would I replay it? Maybe, there's a new game plus feature. For now though I want to play something else.

Now playing

Not really sure yet. That Descent section in Armageddon is making me want to play Descent 3, but I'm also thinking of running through the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, I thought it was kinda meh when I first played it but I got DLC that lets you play as a mad scientist so we'll see how that plays out. I do dig Helsing's Romanian dark gothic steampunk setting and it plays similar to Torchlight. A hack and slash loot em up game might be a good palette cleanser after two 3rd person games set on Mars, but I want more running around and blowing up stuff so I may try to finish Just Cause 2 instead. Then again, the new Pokemon game is out but I still need to finish Pokemon Y. Haven't finished Zelda: Link Between Worlds yet either. I'll probably try to finish the two 3DS games between work shifts since I work at home and the idea of sitting at the same computer all day and night doesn't sound too appealing to me. Gotta get up and stretch once in a while, right?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I also bought Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition, might give that a whirl too. I've already beaten the original.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 28, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
My favorite part of Red Faction: Armageddon that game is how you have a magical device that can fix anything but you don't use it to fix the MacGuffin you're chasing the equally worthless villain for. It's seriously one of the worst game stories I've ever experienced and it's made worse by the very obvious jumps around where content was cut out.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yep, the story was pretty stupid, but so are most videogame stories, so whatever. Storytelling isn't Volition's strong suit. :v:

It was a relief finishing that game however, the ending parts just dragged on and on and on, definite case of padding.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

My favorite part of Red Faction: Armageddon that game is how you have a magical device that can fix anything but you don't use it to fix the MacGuffin you're chasing the equally worthless villain for. It's seriously one of the worst game stories I've ever experienced and it's made worse by the very obvious jumps around where content was cut out.

This is the thing that everyone complains about, but honestly, it didn't bother me that much. When it happens, they've been totally outmanouvered and caught off guard, and it makes sense they might want to fall back and regroup rather than potentially rush it for some emergency repairs and get everyone murdered in an ambush; later on, the game all but tells you outright that the leaders of Bastion are deliberately undermining any plans to repair the Terraformer because the "ongoing crisis" gives them an excuse to retain total control.

On the other hand, the main character is constantly and exceptionally brain-damaged. I found that way more irritating than the fact that the Terraformer wasn't immediately repaired. The low point is probably when you go off on a suicide mission to kill the alien bug queen thing (kicking off the worst two levels of the entire game, plus bonus arbitrary killing off of one of the few remotely likeable characters to generate some cheap motivation for the PC) despite knowing that repairing the Terraformer will kill the aliens anyways, but there's no shortage of examples; IIRC I complained about this at length when I originally posted about it in this thread.

E: yep

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I've been without internet for a few weeks and instead of beating a ton of short games I mostly played a bunch of long ones. :shepface:

Beaten:

Super Sanctum TD
The regular sanctum games never appealed to me but this spinoff game was quite fun, it's a nothing new and simple Tower Defense game.
I'd go for full completion if the game wasn't a tad too slow paced, replaying levels just takes longer than I have the patience for. Still I paid €0.39 and I don't regret it.

Terraria
I know I didn't really beat this one but I'm counting it.
I killed the wall of flesh, entered hardmode and died horribly. But I did build up my amazing hideout so that's good enough for me.
It's a really fun game but I didn't find many people to play with, not surprising by end of 2014. Still it's a fun game.

Grand Theft Auto III
I actually played this when it came out on the PC in like, 2002 :stare:, and got to the last mission before VC came out.
I played a shitton of VC and even replay that game once in a while, but I never really finished GTA3.
Well now I did, and man this one did not age well in some regards; whilst VC and SA have somewhat clunky controls they are at least decent enough. GTA3 was really barebones even for the time and aiming, camera control and swapping through targets and stuff is just frustrating.
The base gameplay is still fun but the combination of the above and unforgivable make it less fun then my memories told me.
Still I'm glad I beat it after all these years.

Age of Empires III: Complete Collection
There is an absolute ton of content in this game to go through, 54 missions to be precise.
I was never impressed with AoE 3 at release because I liked the setting and gameplay of Mythology just so much better. After picking up AoE3 complete for steam I decided to give it another go. I have to say that the game is actually really good, but just never spectacular.
The missions suffer a bit too much from "start in age 1 and build up" as opposed to previous entries and other games in the genre starting you a bit closer to your goal.
The story is bad, but kind of charming and the in-engine cutscenes just look silly and endearing now.

Completed:

Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry
This is a standalone version of the Freedom Cry DLC for AC4: Black Flag, so it's pretty much more of the same but that is alright.
I think the setting (Caribbean slavetrade) is a good one and you can tell they tried to do a more serious story. that makes it the more painfull that the quantity of freed slaves becomes a sort of currency threshold you need to achieve for unlocks.
Still I had a fun 9.5 hours out of it to 100% it and Adewale is a good protagonist, if you liked Black flag pick it up.

In progress:
King's Bounty: Armored Princess A fun game in the style of heroes of might and magic, I picked a mage though and there is no armor; the game is lying to me. I gather 6/8 plot mcguffins and most fights now are pretty easy so it won't take much longer to beat this one.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

So I got a new laptop from school, so of course the first thing I'll do is put Steam on it and see what games I can run on Linux. There's over 250 of them :(

Anyway, new category - LINUX GAMES! Adding two into this one; 39 Steps which I've already started a while back and enjoyed, and Journey Down - Chapter One, which I started back when it was free, but never got around to finishing. Here's for second chances.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I've gone the anti-Fart of Presto route. Screw clearing out a dozen crap indie games this time. I played some things that were actually fun. (And some that weren't that great cause drat.)

Beat - Amnesia A Machine for Pigs : I wanted to like this a lot. I really did. I did not. I kinda liked it in a half assed way through sheer brute force of will, but I think it was more a case of me refusing to believe that it was such a step back. Oh well. Play Amnesia if you want to know what a great horror game is like. On the up side, I did like the setting. It's just that the story was pretty dumb and the game kinda forgot about the whole "Horror games are supposed to be scary" part. Christ.

Beat - Defense Grid 2 - Beat in that I went through the campaign once. This will stay installed for a long rear end time though, as there are 10 or so modes for each level, and I'm a sucker for the original Defense Grid - over 100 hours on it. If you liked the first, this is basically more of the same with better graphics and new modes. Plus online support, and a lot of other bells and whistles.

Beat - The Dream Machine chapters 1-4 - In a recent bundle, and it looked good so I installed it right away instead of losing it in the backlog. Good stuff. Point and click adventure game with a cool story and a great art style. Ripped through the 4 chapters that came with the bundle in the same day. Chapter five out now and wishlisted in hopes of it being cheaper during a coming sale. Thumbs way up if you're into adventure games.

Beat(sorta) - Four and a half nights at Freddys - Meh. Guess how far into the game I got? I'm still putting beat since there's just not much to the game. Kinda fun for being kinda original, but whatever. Watch a lets play video if you want. You'll get the gist.

Beat - Home - Boring. Walked around for 45 minutes as a big pixel guy. Apparently I killed my wife and her lover or something. Had heard it wasn't good. It's not. But it's short, so I finished anyway.

Beat - Saints Row IV - Ohhhhh. So that's how they were gonna up the ante after 3. A bit too heavy on the run around and collect things front (And making him shout YEAHHHH!!! every time he collected one of those energy balls got annoying as poo poo.) but still a great time if you just want to run around a sandbox game and wreck things.

Beat - State of Decay - Installed months ago, played for a bit, and then sat on it. Finally wrapped it up. Meh. Decent, but never really grabbed me. Never cared about upgrading my home base that much, nor swapping out characters, so I just played the same initial guy until he could run really well and bash zombies in the head with cricket bats really well. Enjoyable, but just not for me. Going to skip the one DLC that I have for it. Sounds like a chore from what I read of it.

Beat - Tomb Raider - Huh. 2014 and this was the first Tomb Raider game I ever played. Positive reviews well earned. That's all. I'm sure most of you have played this by now. Insert joke about hair graphics here. Oh. Did Lara really do all that crap after falling and having a piece or rebar impale her through the kidney though? I mean, of the 1001 impossible things that happened, why did that bother me?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's been a while!!

BEATEN: The Novelist - I like story games okay?? You play a ghost in a house who influences this lovely deadbeat writer dad into choosing between 3 different outcomes each day, one that benefits the dad, one that benefits the mom, or one that benefits their kid. If you zap through everyone's memories and find all the notes/letters, you can also make a second 'compromise' choice that leaves one party SLIGHTLY happy. There's no way to placate everyone, and for my playthrough, I just let the lovely dad's writing career tank further and further because gently caress you, lovely writer dad. Spend some time with your family.

BEATEN: Betrayer - Another story game, but this one has some bow & arrow combat (and really slow-loading pistols). You traipse around in a beautiful but bleak monochrome world, exploring vacated colonies from pre-America, talking to ghosts, finding their crime scenes, getting clues, asking other ghosts, and allowing them to let go and move on. It's somewhat low budget and has really bad cartoony sound effects for no reason. Also in order to find clues you have to use audio clues which might drive you up a wall if you can't deal with it.

BEATEN: The Last Remnant - Definitely a top 10 RPG, for me, despite the fact that it requires a manual. You head coach teams of RPG fighters into battle, watching as they try to execute your playcalls to success. Sometimes you call a bad play, and they get eviscerated. Sometimes you're coaching the New York Jets, and there's no playcall that can save you, they're just the Jets. You hosed up. Well, you and your GM, which is also yourself.

BEATEN: Ghostbusters: The Video Game - An average game elevated by its license. The gameplay loop is not really that fun but the world is fun, the story is silly, all the original actors are present (although Winston's is the only one who seems to really give full effort into his performance) and it feels like a legit Ghostbusters sequel.

BEATEN: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Bought it today, started it today, finished it today. Which tells you: a) how good it was, b) how short it was (4 hours). It does have flaws (the lack of handholding is great but not when you have to pixel hunt for items), but it's absolutely gorgeous, and you'll want to take a ton of screenshots in-game. The story's typical video game MEGATWIST is not even that crappy! It made some sense!!

ONGOING: Paper Sorcerer, Child of Light, Legend of Grimrock

UP NEXT: Assassin's Creed Liberation, and...... THE CONSOLE BACKLOG BEGINS :getin: Parappa the Rapper 2, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Ni No Kuni

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I just looked at my previous post history, man, it's been a while.

BEATEN / COMPLETED PILE:

COMPLETED: Stick it to the Man - All the charm and wit of a Double Fine game without any awkward game mechanics or RTS segments. The game feels like it's a spiritual successor to Psychonauts, not just with the mind reading powers. The art design is suitably flimsy like a model world should be and the voice acting and music are spot on for an adventure game. Hopefully this will get a sequel and if not, I can't wait to see what the devs come up with next. It's also nice and short, so the jokes would grate on you too much. I'd highly recommend checking this out.

BEATEN: The Legend of Korra - For a €15 game from Platinum Studios, I wasn't sure what to expect. The combat is fluid, the combos can be pulled off easily enough, the game is also criminally short and isn't something I'd see myself replaying (even though it is designed with that in mind). The sound and art style are true to the show but the story is paper thin. I'd recommend this on sale, though the Naga racing sections can go to Hell.

COMPLETED: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - I was not expecting anything good about this game, but I saw a Let's Play for it and was blown away. The world is filled with danger and you'll be forced to run for your dear life at the start. Eventually though, after all you die about one hundred times, you find your stride and become a murder machine. The game looks great, I played it both on my 4+ year old laptop and my new work / gaming rig and it ran smoothly on both. I played this for 35 HOURS and with the DLC coming out soon I'm sure I'll sink in a few more hours, so I would definitely recommend picking it up.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:

• Borderlands 2 - I beat the first one about a year ago and this one feels like more of the same.
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts - I bought this during the summer only to find my laptop couldn't handle it. This new computer runs it like a dream so time to see how this game compares to the others in the series.
  • The Longest Journey: Dreamfall Chapters: I'm glad this finally got released, it's a shame the characters are flat and uninteresting at the moment. Here's hoping this changes over time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

BEATEN: Betrayer - Another story game, but this one has some bow & arrow combat (and really slow-loading pistols). You traipse around in a beautiful but bleak monochrome world, exploring vacated colonies from pre-America, talking to ghosts, finding their crime scenes, getting clues, asking other ghosts, and allowing them to let go and move on. It's somewhat low budget and has really bad cartoony sound effects for no reason. Also in order to find clues you have to use audio clues which might drive you up a wall if you can't deal with it.

The helmet shot sound effect is glorious you shut your mouth.

What did you think of the end boss? I thought it was goddamn terrible and I have no idea how it would be possible on some of the harder difficulties.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

What did you think of the end boss? I thought it was goddamn terrible and I have no idea how it would be possible on some of the harder difficulties.

Just happened to play through this over the past two days. Thumbs up from me. The 1600s colonial setting was pretty cool, and the period weapons added a bit to the feel of the game for me. 80%+ of the time I stuck with a long bow since you can shoot it fairly quickly. The pistols and rifles are flint lock or something and reload times are terrible.

In case anyone is turned off by the monochromish screen shots, they've added in color controls to the game now. You're able to make it look more or less normal by playing around with contrast and saturation controls. I did just that - it's a pretty nice looking game when in color. (There's a strange spirit world of sorts that you phase in and out of while searching for clues that goes B&W. You can control that color scheme as well though I left it at it's default setting. The change back and forth is nicely jarring.)

Didn't mind the audio at all - sound effects or the using sound to pin point clues thing. (There's a visual component to it on your hud compass - if your speakers are terrible or in mono for some reason, you're still able to track things down easily enough.)

Final boss was utterly impossible for me even on easy until I did something specific to the plot that I won't spell out here. Once I completed that task it was a snap and I passed it on the next try.

So yeah.

Beat - Betrayer - Thumbs up. And currently available through a groupees bundle for a buck.
https://groupees.com/bm16
Well worth a play through in my book.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I pulled it off. The thing is, you're supposed to wrap up every investigation, talk to every ghost, convince them to move on, etc. I think the more you do the less difficult the final encounter is. I had a glitch where the bell was not attachable in one region which prevented me from doing this, but I also had super powerful weapons at that point and could take down the skull/deerskull enemies in 3 quick arrows. It did help to use a tree as cover though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: Marathon: Missed Island

Super cool, but I can't figure out how to reset the circuit breaker. I'm not sure if it doesn't work properly in recent versions of Aleph One or if I'm missing something. And it's old and obscure enough that there are no walkthroughs or VLPs of it or anything.

Nulled: Marathon: Devil in a Blue Dress

One of the earliest full-length campaigns for Marathon, and I think the first using an original setting rather than being Marathon fanfic (or plotless). Unfortunately, it shows its age; it's from the era when people still hadn't figured out that things like "unmarked teleporters that send you back to the start of the level" and "doors that are secretly controlled by entering a room on the other side of the map" aren't actually fun.

Nulled: Perimeter

I enjoyed it back when it first came out, but RTSes have come a long way.

Beaten: Recettear

I beat this ages and ages ago. Not sure why it was listed as unfinished.

Nulled: Sam & Max Season 1

I liked Abe Lincoln Must Die, but I've been stuck on Situation: Comedy for a year now without any real desire to go back to it. I'm just going to skip to Season 2.

Nulled: Second Sight

The game (I now know, having asked a friend for spoilers) has a loving brilliant twist at the end, but it's just way too janky for me to actually play to that end.

Now Playing: Myst V: End of Ages

There's nothing I really want to play in N, but also nothing I want to permanently write off, so I'm going to do another M and then skip N entirely this time around. Myst V has been on my list for a long, long time, but I've never gotten around to actually playing it. I understand it uses a variant of the engine that powers Realmyst; this is going to be weird after playing the first four games.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 29, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

I pulled it off. The thing is, you're supposed to wrap up every investigation, talk to every ghost, convince them to move on, etc. I think the more you do the less difficult the final encounter is. I had a glitch where the bell was not attachable in one region which prevented me from doing this, but I also had super powerful weapons at that point and could take down the skull/deerskull enemies in 3 quick arrows. It did help to use a tree as cover though.

Oh weird yeah there were a few left that I didn't do until after the end boss. Bizarrely the game never acknowledges that you actually completed everything in any way.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Like every other post I've made on here, it's been awhile. I play through games way too slowly, and I'll never get through them all. I suppose that's why I pick the ones I know I'll enjoy. Which brings me to:

Beat - Half-Minute Hero (some stupid subtitle): I enjoyed this at the beginning; then it started feeling like a bit of a slog; but then it got better again. I beat the first act, and the mini-games showed up - which all seemed like half-baked concepts that the devs still wanted to throw somewhere. After you beat those, you get to the final act (and bonus super-hard act) which were both really challenging and fun. I think, overall, I enjoyed the game, but I probably spent too much time on it trying to get every title and item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Oh weird yeah there were a few left that I didn't do until after the end boss. Bizarrely the game never acknowledges that you actually completed everything in any way.

If you talk to the girl in red prior to finishing them all off, she'll tell you that it will be easier if you do send all the ghosts on their way. The pain in the rear end for me was realizing that one of the ghosts you must convince to leave was the one that you met earlier on the same map as the final boss. I first tried the boss without sending ghosts away and lost horribly. Then cleared all but the final map - the girl in red said something like "Good, but still not done." I tried the boss anyway and got killed. Then I sent the last ghost home and the boss was easy. It also triggered an achievement letting you know you were done.