Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Maybe one group of players are dumber than the others?

Or at least the dumbest in one group are dumber than the dumbest in the other group? Any evidence that that's not the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

CellarDweller posted:

In the states you have two options to get rid of student debt.

1) Pay it.
2) Leave the country and don't come back.

You forgot one.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If you stopped your heart for a few minutes then were revived, maybe you could argue for a discharge

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Not a Children posted:

If you stopped your heart for a few minutes then were revived, maybe you could argue for a discharge

The standard you have to meet to have your student loans discharged in many US jurisdictions is literally "certainty of hopelessness."

Still breathing? Get to work paying those back, deadbeat. We don't care about interruptions. Oh, you're deaf, blind, and can't speak? Well Helen Keller did OK, so you're not totally helpless; time to suck it up and get to work.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

That being the case, if you're still living with your parents at 30 you should get to have it discharged

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's me. I'm the one who is bad with money.

There's a Japan-only Dragon Quest PS4 coming out on the 11th. 50k yen, aka ~$500, especially after shipping.

...but it has a USB-port-connected liquid metal slime on it and it's gunmetal gray to match and it looks so cool and I love Dragon Quest games.

I am trying to resist, I really am. I'm mostly making this post to strengthen my heart.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's a Japan-only Dragon Quest PS4 coming out on the 11th. 50k yen, aka ~$500, especially after shipping.

...but it has a USB-port-connected liquid metal slime on it and it's gunmetal gray to match and it looks so cool and I love Dragon Quest games.

I am trying to resist, I really am. I'm mostly making this post to strengthen my heart.

Luckily the yen is doing so badly right now that 50KĄ is only $425!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

You forgot one.

Did your parents cosign any of your loans? They still alive? Congratulations, it's now undischargeable debt from hell for them!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Did your parents cosign any of your loans? They still alive? Congratulations, it's now undischargeable debt from hell for them!

This is why my mother is my life insurance beneficiary until I pay off my loan.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I've got the slime controller that came out with DQ8 and all the plasticizer they used on the neoprene is leaching out and it's all gross to hold. It's a shame because it was the best controller to play 3rd Strike on.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

For the extra money you'd spend on that you can get a bunch of USB-powered crap that would be cooler than that.

Under 15 posted:

I've got the slime controller that came out with DQ8 and all the plasticizer they used on the neoprene is leaching out and it's all gross to hold. It's a shame because it was the best controller to play 3rd Strike on.

It's probably also giving you cancer.

Dack Fayden, don't buy that console, it will give you cancer.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I guess that's not bad if you were planning on buying a PS4 anyway, since it's like $400 without anything else.

If you can't really afford to buy it but you're doing it anyway, then we can all make fun of you for being bad with money I guess, if that will make you feel worse/better/alive!/whatever.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Well, at least he's not finding out about this at 35 or older. At 28, with hopefully 10 years left in his career, he should be able to recover. Although the article doesn't say exactly how much he still owes.
Only ever one injury away from being complete financial ruin.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I bought a launch PS4 and have turned it on like 5 times. Bad with money.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Under 15 posted:

Your slime controller is slightly gooey? Sounds like a feature.

Maybe you should play twelve.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

xie posted:

I bought a launch PS4 and have turned it on like 5 times. Bad with money.

I have 4 PS3 games that I bought and still haven't taken the shrink wrap off. Bad with money.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

OatmealRocks posted:

Could you please explain this? I am not aware of this and have friends that could really use this advice.

I was joking ("One weird old trick to burn belly fat that doctors hate!"). It's funny because there is no way to get rid of that debt, maybe except by dying.

Regarding the baseball chat, I don't follow the sport, but I did live in a very backwater part of the Dominican Republic. Every boy wants to be a big time player, and most kids are dirt poor, as in their homes literally have a dirt floor. Anyone who has been recruited at any level is revered as a god incarnate.

I think these Dominican players keep out of bankruptcy for two reasons: 1) The arduous poverty and penurious conditions they endure to become famous gives them some perspective, and they have lots of people, like whole cities, taking pride in their career. I mean most kids can't even afford baseballs and bats-- they practice with bottle caps and random sticks.

2) Those who want to splash out can live like feudal lords for practically nothing. Some o obscure player from a little shithole of a town in my area was building himself a huge gaudy mansion. I bet it didn't cost $50,000. He could add on an army of full time live in servants for a couple hundred a month more (labor is ridiculously cheap). Also, to throw major parties in true Dominican fashion all you need is a few cases of cheap beer, rum, and a maybe a roast goat.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

TLG James posted:

Honda Fit masterrace. I wish I would have waited one year to get the ones with backup cameras though.

I know this is from a few days ago, but hell yeah I love/hate my Fit. It's ugly as sin and it's suspension feels like it's trying to throw me out of the driver's seat, but it hasn't failed me yet considering how little maintenance I do on it. It's a backwards love/hate relationship where the car loves me but I treat it like crap.

In the year and a half that I've owned it, I've put 40k miles on it and all I've done to it is regular oil changes, a new battery, new wheels, and new brakes, only because the batter/wheels/breaks were all stock and it's a 7 year old car. The battery died, I forgot what it felt like to use the breaks without the ABS kicking in, and I got a gash in the wall of one of the tires and I said "gently caress it" and got 4 new tires. The treads weren't completely worn out and I could have kept using them but I could tell the grip wasn't what it used to be.

As far as bad with money goes, I consciously made a bad with money decision recently but I might as well see everything through. I've been having a little bit of hand/wrist pain for the last few months, but in the past two weeks it's been getting significantly worse. It's not bad, just some mild discomfort after 4-5 hours of work and I decided to get a doctor to look at it before it got really bad.

The bad with money is that I haven't hit my 2014 deductible yet, and the deductible resets on January 1st. Of course the doctor ordered a battery of expensive tests, so I really should have just held out until January to get them done. I've waited this long with the pain, and the wrist brace he gave me helps a ton, so I could have easily held out another month and a half.

edit:

Thesaurus posted:

I was joking ("One weird old trick to burn belly fat that doctors hate!"). It's funny because there is no way to get rid of that debt, maybe except by dying.

Regarding the baseball chat, I don't follow the sport, but I did live in a very backwater part of the Dominican Republic. Every boy wants to be a big time player, and most kids are dirt poor, as in their homes literally have a dirt floor. Anyone who has been recruited at any level is revered as a god incarnate.

I think these Dominican players keep out of bankruptcy for two reasons: 1) The arduous poverty and penurious conditions they endure to become famous gives them some perspective, and they have lots of people, like whole cities, taking pride in their career. I mean most kids can't even afford baseballs and bats-- they practice with bottle caps and random sticks.

2) Those who want to splash out can live like feudal lords for practically nothing. Some o obscure player from a little shithole of a town in my area was building himself a huge gaudy mansion. I bet it didn't cost $50,000. He could add on an army of full time live in servants for a couple hundred a month more (labor is ridiculously cheap). Also, to throw major parties in true Dominican fashion all you need is a few cases of cheap beer, rum, and a maybe a roast goat.

Wow, that kind of poverty is really sad :(

At the same time, I like the way they party. Cheap beer and a roast goat sounds like a good time to me.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 23, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's actually a good question - what's the best/safest place for an American to move to and live like a king off of not-that-much American money?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

That's actually a good question - what's the best/safest place for an American to move to and live like a king off of not-that-much American money?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's never going to be really safe in a country with that kind of wealth disparity, at least not without getting used to a culture of bars, gates, and high walls. "Feudal lord" is right.

Edit: But if you don't want to have to worry about a language barrier, you can buy a whole block in Detroit and hire Blackwater to protect your Forbidden City.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There's a whole city of old Americans living in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Costa Rica is pretty popular for that, from what I hear.

From living in Thailand I know that you can get a retirement visa (have to be over a certain age, the concept of being super good with money and retiring early apparently didn't occur to them). Foreigners cannot own land but as long as foreign ownership of a condo complex is under 50% that's all good in the eyes of the law. (Or I think you can do a 99 year freehold or something, if you want to own a house.) I imagine other places in Southeast Asia might even be better, Cambodia is cheaper and you might even be able to own land there for all I know.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Excellent callback. :golfclap:

This looks like decent info: http://www.numbeo.com/common/

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Why do people hate on Iowa so much? It's beautiful, the people are nice, and there's great fishing and outdoors activities. Low cost of living, low unemployment. Y'all a bunch of haters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We all had to do The Music Man in high school.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Anyplace in the US is still expensive, what does it cost, $20-25k a year to live in Iowa? Sounds like you could move houses each year in another country for that much.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

I have 4 PS3 games that I bought and still haven't taken the shrink wrap off. Bad with money.

I only own one game, and I've even played it a few times. :smugdog:

I will probably use it enough to justify its cost over the entire life of the system, but drat. I really thought I was going to play The Show a lot more.

oops quote != edit, oh well

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Dik Hz posted:

Why do people hate on Iowa so much? It's beautiful, the people are nice, and there's great fishing and outdoors activities. Low cost of living, low unemployment. Y'all a bunch of haters.

gently caress Corn.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dik Hz posted:

Cost of living and unemployment are both reflections of how much people want to live someplace. Compare Iowa to the Pacific Northwest, which is high on both counts (and also on weed): it puts Iowa to shame with its natural beauty and available outdoor activities, and the people are even nicer if anything.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MJBuddy posted:

gently caress Corn.

Driving through Iowa during my cross country trip, so much loving corn. Iowa and Nebraska.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

When people from the coasts hate the Midwest, I feel like they're doing it because they want to be cool, or they heard somewhere that it was awful. I think if you really want to hate a place, you should learn the real reasons to hate it. Corn ain't it.

When Midwesterners hate the coasts for lovely traffic, awful superficial people, and the ocean, we're just dumb country mice. That's not fair. Problems are problems, but they're not exclusive to the region.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We hate your conservative politics. I mean, how loving stupid do you have to be to vote against your own interests based upon some fantasy that you'll be a billionaire one day so, you know, better start voting like one now to protect my future fortune.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's also the jello salad.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

Look what you started! We just got off that derail.

silvergoose posted:

There's also the jello salad.

Ok, that one's legit.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Cost of living and unemployment are both reflections of how much people want to live someplace. Compare Iowa to the Pacific Northwest, which is high on both counts (and also on weed): it puts Iowa to shame with its natural beauty and available outdoor activities, and the people are even nicer if anything.

Yeah everyone loves Hawaii and their high COL isn't supply chain based at all.

Like high COL makes sense; high unemployment probably doesn't. But even COL isn't 1:1. Some places are expensive for structural reasons, and given that the entire West Coast shares a high COL, it's probably structural to a certain degree (longer drives for truckers, lack of local fuel sources http://www.eia.gov/oil_gas/rpd/conventional_gas.pdf, which shale will alleviate but of course West Coasters hate that).

I'm sure Iowa is fine, and Pac-NW is fine, and most places are fine, but trying to spin the shittiest parts of living somewhere as signs of how awesome it is isn't always going to work.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You can't burn shale gas in a truck. Getting crude to the refinery is a tiny tiny part of the cost of fuel at the pump, and I'm sure the west coast has plenty of refineries.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Cultural Imperial posted:

We hate your conservative politics. I mean, how loving stupid do you have to be to vote against your own interests based upon some fantasy that you'll be a billionaire one day so, you know, better start voting like one now to protect my future fortune.

I did a percentage breakdown of the last presidential election, made the map to reflect it, and almost every state was purple. Most red states were only very slightly reddish purple, and most blue states were only very slightly bluish purple. It was really more a population density thing. Doing a county by county breakdown, California was mostly solid red by area, but the coastal cities tipped the state blue.

I lived in the Midwest for over two decades and I liked the people and activities just fine. There are big cities and college towns, just like on the coasts. I left because I can't stand the weather. Plus, now I have mountains and an ocean. I don't do much more than look at them, but I like looking at them.

Old Fart fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 24, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Looking at elections by area is a dumb loving thing and yet another reason that people hate the Midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just curious if the french foreign legion is still a good option for escaping your debts?

• Locked thread