Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Seriously love the demystification of arcane game development secrets that the togsters are risking their lives and careers to bring us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Chas McGill posted:

Seriously love the demystification of arcane game development secrets that the togsters are risking their lives and careers to bring us.

You are very optimistic thinking any of us have lives or careers.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's like the magicians code right? You guys could be blacklisted forever for this treason.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Will damage numbers be toggleable in the final build?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Anonymous Robot posted:

Will damage numbers be toggleable in the final build?

I'll ticket this right away.

EDIT: Done. If the ticket goes through, you'll have the option to toggle off the damage numbers and also the HUD. So prepare yourself for those more immersive 180 or 360 no-scope frag vids.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 22, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Gortarius posted:

You are very optimistic thinking any of us have lives or careers.
I don't know anything about gamdevs, gamedevling, game'smakin. You could all be handsome, buff, solid, thick, tight, ono-sendai whizkid cyberwarriors for all I know.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/taqutor/buck-and-miles-a-cross-platform-2d-platformer/description

quote:

Soundtrack by the amazing brentalfloss (Video Games "WITH LYRICS"), virt (Shovel Knight), Eric "cboyardee" Shumaker (Barkley, Shut Up & Jam: Gaiden) and Alexander Brandon (Deus Ex, Jazz Jackrabbit).
Is Barkley 2 not enough vidcon for you, Chef? WE ARE BETRAYED

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Gortarius posted:

I'll ticket this right away.

EDIT: Done. If the ticket goes through, you'll have the option to toggle off the damage numbers and also the HUD. So prepare yourself for those more immersive 180 or 360 no-scope frag vids.

The crowdfunding ethos at work. Burn in piss hell Tim Schafer

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Can we crawfordfund the slaying of a dragon instead?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Chef has abandoned ship.... that rat oval office..................................................

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Gortarius posted:

Chef has abandoned ship.... that rat oval office..................................................

i guess he was corporate attitude

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
smh @ chef selling his music out to big corporate fatcats like ulillillia

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
drat, they sniped like half the people from Barkley and got a guy from Jazz Jackrabbit/Deus Ex? the credentials

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
The guy who is doing it, Dan Norstrom, worked on the original Barkley. He made some graphics and the video, which is the only reason why people know the game. He also happens to be a close personal friend of gamesmasterjasper's and I'm always willing to help a fellow gaming revolutionary. Semper games.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Chef Boyardee posted:

Semper game's.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Building up a world map using pictures of all the maps made thus far. Had to downgrade the pictures to 50% their original size so that MS paint doesn't overload, but now its getting to the point that it is overbearingly tedious to work with. Basically I'm just knitting all these pictures together to form one gigantic world map. Used for checking out that maps all connect properly, and to help the devs navigate the areas. I want B2 to be as well interconnected as Dark Souls 1 was. We'll see how that goes.

I've got one entire area with a few maps of other areas connected in the world map, down to 50%, and its around 4500x5000 pixels with some empty space in some areas where the maps doesn't align so that it would form a perfect rectangle. 10+ megs in size. I've noticed Paint sure as hell isn't designed for this because it keeps loving up in weird ways.

There must be a better way to do this, or then I just have to drop all the pictures down to something stupid like 10% their original size.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Try not using MS paint.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Try not using MS paint.

Thats all the ToG budget can afford after the diaper acquisition.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Gortarius posted:

Thats all the ToG budget can afford after the diaper acquisition.

Shmorky is working on Barkley 2??

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

:thurman:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Gortarius, maybe try using GIMP?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

May I suggest Paint.NET?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Hey here's a neat little "trick", if you have a scanner you can print it out, draw on the page, and scan it back in

Technology sure is neat

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

GNU Order posted:

Hey here's a neat little "trick", if you have a scanner you can print it out, draw on the page, and scan it back in

Technology sure is neat

thread is now about barkley 2 lifehacks

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Great Joe posted:

May I suggest Paint.NET?
Good suggestion.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Gortarius, maybe try using GIMP?
Or even better: http://www.gimpshop.com/

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Hmm. I'll have to check out these programs. If they don't work out, well, I'll just have to draw it by hand on a piece of leather.

PS. Chef bought 600 pounds of diapers to set up a trap for our producer. When he opened the front door of the ToG HQ, all the diapers fell on him and killed him. Chef is the modern day Macaulay Culkin.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Gortarius posted:

Hmm. I'll have to check out these programs. If they don't work out, well, I'll just have to draw it by hand on a piece of leather.

PS. Chef bought 600 pounds of diapers to set up a trap for our producer. When he opened the front door of the ToG HQ, all the diapers fell on him and killed him. Chef is the modern day Macaulay Culkin.

I demand covers of all the Barkley 1 and 2 music, including Space Jam and Eternity, with all the lyrics changed to be about pizza

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Gimp had to reserve 4 gigs of workspace to process the maps, and I was kinda worried the end result would be several hundred megs but in the end they came out as 10 meg .png files.

One of the areas needed a 18944 x 10392 sized template to fit it all. Combining all the areas into one was too much for Gimp to handle. It just crashed.

Just think of how much lovely content you can fit in there. It's like playing four bad games at once.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Anyways, while on the topic of maps and garbage, hold on to your fedoras because there is another awful mapsmake video processing right now. Just 10 more hours and I can begin editing it. Another 10 and I can upload. Another 10 and its on youtube.

I think I'll make this a multiple part thing with making npcs, quest and testing it all out later on. Right now I just got the mapsmake part.

EDIT:

Garbage alert!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMgearUeao

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 24, 2014

PsycArtist
Nov 12, 2011

SWAGGY
A friend of mine pointed me hear.

I did a test file of the size you posted in Fire Alpaca and was able to resize it. Its not set up quite the same as the programs you've been using but its not too bad to figure out.

http://firealpaca.com/en

What resolution are you working at?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Gortarius posted:

Anyways, while on the topic of maps and garbage, hold on to your fedoras because there is another awful mapsmake video processing right now. Just 10 more hours and I can begin editing it. Another 10 and I can upload. Another 10 and its on youtube.

I think I'll make this a multiple part thing with making npcs, quest and testing it all out later on. Right now I just got the mapsmake part.

EDIT:

Garbage alert!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QMgearUeao

so are you, like, the dedicated swamp map guy? all the maps i've seen you make are swamps.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

so are you, like, the dedicated swamp map guy? all the maps i've seen you make are swamps.

In order to cash in on the success of the hit TV show Swamp People, Barkley 2 is nothing but swamp levels.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
All of this talk of X114JAM9 is smoke and mirrors to set up the real protagonist. True doom murderheads take notes, for a certain strapping jock's story is far from ogre.....................

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

PsycArtist posted:

A friend of mine pointed me hear.

I did a test file of the size you posted in Fire Alpaca and was able to resize it. Its not set up quite the same as the programs you've been using but its not too bad to figure out.

http://firealpaca.com/en

What resolution are you working at?

Uhh 1366x768, or something very close to that. I'll check this mysteriouse Fire Alpaca thing out.........

quote:

I'm an idiot first and foremost, but yes, I do like to make those swamp maps. Basically I just look out my cave and try to recreate what I see into a Barkley 2 map.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

This is looking schway as drokk.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Writing up beach bum NPCs as we speak. Maybe even good ones. Only time will tell.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Gortarius posted:

Writing up beach bum NPCs as we speak. Maybe even good ones. Only time will tell.

I'm only interested in garbage, no good please.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

weird bleep posted:

I'm only interested in garbage, no good please.

then pipe up cuz I've got 9 NPC's lined up, each worse than the previous one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Being a garbage NPC is the only viable sunrise on my bleak horizon. Please... make my dream come true..........