Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So far as I've noticed, not taking a hit during a boss fight has been a near 100% chance at a devil room spawning. Except on the first floor, I dunno that I've had any devil rooms on the first floor. Angel rooms are much rare though, much to my irritation when trying to get to Mega Satan. Just gotta hope you get Dad's Key sometimes because it's more likely than two angel rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
You can open the chest/dark room door with dad's key? that's pretty funny.

But yeah, I mean, maximizing your chance by not taking red heart damage on the floor your chance is still a little higher than 33%, and though I haven't seen a list of them, there are supposed to be even more items that effect the base chance of a door spawning after the boss fight. On top of that, the book of belial functions like the goat head while you're holding it, meaning 100% spawn chance for a room after boss fights.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Jibo posted:

There is absolutely no reason to believe that this hasn't been changed in some way. I know that I personally get back to back devil rooms pretty frequently and see more devil rooms in general in Rebirth.

Yeah, for real any decently large amount of soul hearts (so I don't get dinged for red heart damage) basically ensures I get consecutive Devil/Angel rooms.

it is way way easier to get them this go around

AndroidHub posted:

You can open the chest/dark room door with dad's key? that's pretty funny.

Sure, why do you think collecting the key for the door unlocks it in the first place?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

omeg posted:

Holy poo poo finally :sweatdrop:

Glad I remembered that staying still with 3 orbitals makes you pretty much immune to bullets.
Finishing solar system with half a heart buddy. :hfive:

My run was the same, got no familiars, a single cube of meat, and no good trinket. A decent spacebar item was the only thing working for me but I still pulled through somehow. I was just watching Northernlion do the challenge and was a little pissed when he got bob's brain which apparently works on the solar system challenge. I suffered to win. :argh:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Yes, Dad's Key unlocks Mega Satan's door, this is how I managed to fight him the second time. Also I found that if you find an Angel room that yields you the 2nd Angel (and hence the 2nd key piece instead of the 1st), you can still make the key if you find another Angel room, the order of the key pieces doesn't matter.

Should I not be bothering with Lost runs on normal by the way? I've only killed Satan and beat the Chest once with him, but if all the final unlocks like Godhead are behind Hard mode then doing normal kind of seems like just doubling my aggravation playtime with him for no reason other than those unlocks.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I think the floor damage knocks off a chunk, and so does boss damage, but I remember reading that if you don't take damage on the floor and then get hurt to the boss it counts as both floor AND boss damage and sinks your chances down to around 5%.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Manatee Cannon posted:

So far as I've noticed, not taking a hit during a boss fight has been a near 100% chance at a devil room spawning. Except on the first floor, I dunno that I've had any devil rooms on the first floor. Angel rooms are much rare though, much to my irritation when trying to get to Mega Satan. Just gotta hope you get Dad's Key sometimes because it's more likely than two angel rooms.

I got a Devil room on the first floor once. After the second boss from a curse of the labyrinth. I think Devil room chances are only affected if you take red heart damage... kinda like how the no-hit achievements work.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Logan 5 posted:

Yes, Dad's Key unlocks Mega Satan's door, this is how I managed to fight him the second time. Also I found that if you find an Angel room that yields you the 2nd Angel (and hence the 2nd key piece instead of the 1st), you can still make the key if you find another Angel room, the order of the key pieces doesn't matter.

Should I not be bothering with Lost runs on normal by the way? I've only killed Satan and beat the Chest once with him, but if all the final unlocks like Godhead are behind Hard mode then doing normal kind of seems like just doubling my aggravation playtime with him for no reason other than those unlocks.

Only Godhead is locked behind hard mode, but none of his other unlocks except maybe the Mind are really strong for doing The Lost, so if you're going for Godhead you might as well start with hard mode.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm pretty sure I've had an angel room in Basement 2 at some point. As far as I'm aware refusing to buy something from Satan only decreases the chance of devil rooms spawning, and thus increases the chance of an angel room.

I might have gotten lucky and picked up one of the items that increase the chance of an angel room appearing, though.

I can confirm that you can get an Angel Room on Basement 2 if you pick up the Mitre.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Protip: For those of you who (like me) were stuck on the Solar System challenge, make sure you're checking the shops for the BFFS! item. It makes your orbiting flies bigger, makes the blue fly do as much damage as the red fly, and makes the red fly annihilate anything in its path.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Finishing solar system with half a heart buddy. :hfive:

My run was the same, got no familiars, a single cube of meat, and no good trinket. A decent spacebar item was the only thing working for me but I still pulled through somehow. I was just watching Northernlion do the challenge and was a little pissed when he got bob's brain which apparently works on the solar system challenge. I suffered to win. :argh:

Yeah, I was excited to get Satanic Bible early, then got pretty much nothing good. Found Sharp Plug in the shop but it turned out to not work if the active item is not at empty charge state (and takes spirit/black hearts anyway). Was kind of surprised to beat mom, then played pretty recklessly and somehow managed to finish the drat thing. Cat challenge was way easier.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Logan 5 posted:

Given that Godhead is only unlocked by beating everyone on Hard with the Lost, you might as well just stick to Hard.

This doesn't include the Boss Rush, but if all the symbols don't match, then what's the point? :v:

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Is anyone else experiencing total ps4 hangs if they set down the controller until it powers off? I have to hard restart my ps4 every time by unplugging. This only happens in boi.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Crosspeice posted:

Given that Godhead is only unlocked by beating everyone on Hard with the Lost, you might as well just stick to Hard.

This doesn't include the Boss Rush, but if all the symbols don't match, then what's the point? :v:

Yeah I've come to that conclusion, unfortunately only after I've unlocked two of the most useless items for the Lost, Isaac's Heart and the Body. Well, at least I got the Mind too, that's not bad.

Slowly finishing everything else up in between Lost runs for variety. This is how you win the Head Truama challenge apparently: telepill into the Devil Room in Basement 1, pick up Scythes, and in Basement 2's Devil room get Krampus and lump of coal. Add some range up pills and...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I feel like Telepills are super rare now for some reason. I gobble down pills like crazy and I think I've only gotten a few in this game and have still never seen the ERROR room.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
DEAD BOY ACHIEVED! :neckbeard:

Now I just need to figure out the missing items in my items list are so I can hunt them down for Platinum God. Is there a site that shows every item arranged in where they are in Rebirth's Item List?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Waffleopolis posted:

DEAD BOY ACHIEVED! :neckbeard:

Now I just need to figure out the missing items in my items list are so I can hunt them down for Platinum God. Is there a site that shows every item arranged in where they are in Rebirth's Item List?

Yeah I'd be interested in this too. I have 15 to go. I know what a few of them are but some I am totally clueless.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Are there any differences between the red and blue candle besides the flame staying for the red one? Did the blue candle get buffed in any way? It seems kind of silly that it takes 900 coins to get the blue candle when you get the red one for 400 and it's way more useful.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Are there any differences between the red and blue candle besides the flame staying for the red one? Did the blue candle get buffed in any way? It seems kind of silly that it takes 900 coins to get the blue candle when you get the red one for 400 and it's way more useful.

From what I've seen, Blue Candle's flame is VERY strong, but doesn't stay as long as Red Candle's flame. So Red is good if you can lure enemies to the flame, but blue can dish out way more damage but it goes out fast.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 24, 2014

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah I'd be interested in this too. I have 15 to go. I know what a few of them are but some I am totally clueless.

This lists the items as they appear on the collection page: http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Collection_Page

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the Blue Candle recharges faster than the Red Candle too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Neat. Well that's good to know then. I like the red candle, it's good for when you have a low tear firerate because you can nuke anything stationary with the constant fire damage.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The flames from the red candle can be put out by your tears, but the flames from the blue candle are immune to your tears so you can't accidentally put them out by attacking.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

So for regular Platinum God, I am missing Skeleton Key, Transcendence (The Noose), and Missingno. Is there way to get these early on, other than luck?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Waffleopolis posted:

So for regular Platinum God, I am missing Skeleton Key, Transcendence (The Noose), and Missingno. Is there way to get these early on, other than luck?

IF you can get an item to spawn in a secret room, it will reroll into a secret room item. I suggest getting a card to spawn a blood bank, those have a pretty good rate of dropping IV/blood bags.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Waffleopolis posted:

Transcendence and Skeleton Key are in the Secret Room item pool, with Transcendence at least found only in the Secret Room. Scum starts until you get X-Ray Vision, the Spelunker Hat, or maybe even Undefined, Book of Secrets, Dad's Key, or a shop with the Blue Map.

No idea about Missing No., I havent seen it yet despite unlocking it ages ago.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Logan 5 posted:

Transcendence and Skeleton Key are in the Secret Room item pool, with Transcendence at least found only in the Secret Room. Scum starts until you get X-Ray Vision, the Spelunker Hat, or maybe even Undefined, Book of Secrets, Dad's Key, or a shop with the Blue Map.

No idea about Missing No., I havent seen it yet despite unlocking it ages ago.

Missing No. is also a secret room item. Someone hasn't been looking for secret rooms!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ariong posted:

Missing No. is also a secret room item. Someone hasn't been looking for secret rooms!

I've been in both secret rooms and the super secret rooms over a 100 times total and seen no items in either. ever.

I think my copy might be bugged. It's always coins/sin heart, respectfully. Every time.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This game is perfect for lying in bed vita play. The frame rate does suffer sometimes though.

Should I be doing challenges when I get them or should I beat the game with every character first? Or does it not matter at all?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Duggler posted:

This game is perfect for lying in bed vita play. The frame rate does suffer sometimes though.

Should I be doing challenges when I get them or should I beat the game with every character first? Or does it not matter at all?

Doing them early can help, some of them award you amazing items.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The Duggler posted:

I recommend doing the challenges early. That way, some of the more tedious ones will gain some entertainment value from the novelty. I've seen people complain that the Tank one was a slog, but I enjoyed it because I had never gotten Leo or Thunder Thighs before.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Ariong posted:

Oh god dammit. I guess I've found every other Secret Room item but that one, because I try my damnest to get in every one of them I can. Welp, time to take my own advice!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is Guppy's Collar useless on The Lost? I've never had it activate.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I waited to do most of the challenges until after I had unlocked some of the store upgrades, since those are one of your main sources of items getting some upgrades really helps in pretty much every challenge.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Logan 5 posted:

Oh god dammit. I guess I've found every other Secret Room item but that one, because I try my damnest to get in every one of them I can. Welp, time to take my own advice!

I've only found it once, but it was on the suicide king challenge. Big help.

RatHat posted:

Is Guppy's Collar useless on The Lost? I've never had it activate.

No, it works. I've had it save my rear end a couple of times.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, poo poo. I was so sure for until around the Necropolis that this Samson run was a total bust, but man did I turn it around. Not only did I beat ??? in the Chest, but I killed Mega Satan to boot! I got so much health in the Chest so I spent a bunch of time taking hits on purpose to boost my damage, and I'd found the Book of Belial in a library in Necropolis I or II. I had like nine hearts, plus a Lovers card that I never actually ended up needing. The biggest boon had to be the Trinity Shield, though. Totally negated most of the damage I might have taken. Just goes to show that even when you don't think a run is going well, it can still turn completely around.

edit: You think different characters have different base sin and faith? I got like three angel rooms with Samson, and I'd never used him before tonight. When I was actively trying to get to Mega Satan I was using Azazel because of how well he starts off, or Isaac for the D6. Azazel in particular almost never gets angel rooms, but I dunno if that's bias on my part or not.

edit 2: ahahah wow beating Mega Satan doesn't even count as a win

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 24, 2014

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Doing them early can help, some of them award you amazing items.

Yep. Some of them amazing, some of them good.

But don't bother doing 7 or 11 until you're going for completion. Those two give you Suicide King (a card which spawns pickups around you in exchange for killing you instantly) and Rules Card (which displays one useless line of fortune-teller-style cryptic bullshit when used) respectively.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I beat waka waka and unlocked something really cool, and then tried solar system and lol

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You know, I could live with The Lost runs; the stupid deaths, the brimstone spiders, seeing the haunt on floor 1... I could deal with all of it if I didn't end up holding R for 10+ minutes between attempts trying to get a viable start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I could've sworn I made this post earlier but apaprently not.

Anyways, I hadn't realized how many improvements had been made until a friend got this for me for my birthday. It's surprisingly good.

I wish I'd realized you could drop trinkets sooner though; I'd accidently gone into the boss rush the first time and kept getting stomped by Mom's Toenail. Luckily there was a million hearts around anyways. I ended up dropping it by accident later when I had Pyromaniac. :negative:

Is there a way to cheat to unlock characters/items, though? I'd rather not have to re-beat the whole game to get Judas.

Also what happens if you pick up Brimstone as Azazel?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 24, 2014