Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Mikemo Tyson posted:

Guess that explains why I can't even get into the character screen after logging in.

Is it only JC? I only have characters on that server, so I can't really check. It seemed fine until about half an hour ago, and now every five minutes it just lags out and boots me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
They're being DDoS'd.

https://twitter.com/lizardpatrol

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

shadok posted:

Is it only JC? I only have characters on that server, so I can't really check. It seemed fine until about half an hour ago, and now every five minutes it just lags out and boots me off.

SWTOR forums are claiming it's the entire east coast server farm. People are speculating it's a DDOS attack.

All I know is I've been up since 5am and I'm off of work and I want to play my space game. :saddowns:

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

shadok posted:

After I finally got to the server selection screen I was able to log onto my west coast server characters without a problem so yeah, East Coast farm is getting blown up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

what a cool dude

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

what a cool dude

I didn't think SWTOR would even be on anyone's radar as something to DDoS. Oh well, guess I'll go spend time with my family. :negative:

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
European server Tomb of Freedom Nadd is offline too. :cry:

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Wondering if they'll extend the XP boost on east coast servers if ths turns out to be to be a longer outage.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
sounds like he's just hitting EA in general and SWTOR's servers are part of that.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mikemo Tyson posted:

I didn't think SWTOR would even be on anyone's radar as something to DDoS. Oh well, guess I'll go spend time with my family. :negative:

Yeah, SWTOR is just collateral damage. You'd think EA would have really state-of-the-art DDOS mitigation by now, since they're world target #1 for this crap if you exclude political opponents of Vladimir Putin.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

shadok posted:

Yeah, SWTOR is just collateral damage. You'd think EA would have really state-of-the-art DDOS mitigation by now, since they're world target #1 for this crap if you exclude political opponents of Vladimir Putin.

I'm just a layman, but how would you 'mitigate' a DDOS attack besides having infrastructure so robust you've wasted money on it at any time other than a DDOS attack?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

WarLocke posted:

I'm just a layman, but how would you 'mitigate' a DDOS attack besides having infrastructure so robust you've wasted money on it at any time other than a DDOS attack?

Well without getting too technical essentially a DDOS is just a user spamming requests for information and the server trying to record and answer all those requests. To prevent a DDOS you just learn to limit the amount of information requests. This gets harder and harder to do as the DDOSer starts creating multiple addresses so it looks like lots of different people and the server has to struggle to determine what is a 'real' request for information or not. Essentially there are ways to better measure and track this information to prevent it but its not easy and technology changing constantly changes how you need to protect yourself.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

Real-time packet analysis that's able to detect malicious traffic, linked to automated filtering. Sakura Internet (ISP) in Japan built a system that's able to detect and nullify DDOS attacks on anything in their network within twenty seconds.

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

going to feel like an rear end if it goes back down, but JC seems fine now.

Edit: welp, nevermind.

Oni Elem fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 24, 2014

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Most of the time, you pay a service provider that has enormous worldwide capacity and filtering datacenters so that you can redirect your traffic through their DDoS mitigation systems (they announce your prefixes in BGP instead of you) and they only deliver the legit traffic to you, filtering the DDoS attack traffic via heuristics or whatever.

Prolexic/Akamai, Radware, and Level3 are big ones that sell service for this in the US.

EDIT: Looks like everything is back online.

Major Operation fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 24, 2014

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
How do you get around this security key catch-22 where the account setup on the website asks you to look at the mobile app for a serial #, then the mobile app won't give you one?

edit: Nevermind, apparently I only had 3 security questions setup instead of 5. Works now.

revenance fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 24, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, got way to drunk last night while playing and finishing the JK story, kind of forgot how it ends. I remember Corellia being a pain in the rear end and something about the Emperor, could someone fill in the gaps?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

pentyne posted:

So, got way to drunk last night while playing and finishing the JK story, kind of forgot how it ends. I remember Corellia being a pain in the rear end and something about the Emperor, could someone fill in the gaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkUnFIJjy78

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Scourge has told you that the Emperor doesn't give a poo poo about the war against the Republic, it's just a pretext to use gigantic weapons of mass destruction to kill as many people as possible while secretly performing a dark ritual to use the mass deaths to fuel the Emperor's personal immortality. His endgame is to kill everything in the universe, thus becoming powerful enough to create a new universe according to his own design with himself as God. On Corellia you disable three WMDs and defeat Tol Braga, the guy who led the attack against the Emperor in chapter 1, who has been working for the Emperor ever since. He gives you the Emperor's physical location on Dromund Kaas, and Scourge uses his knowledge of Imperial security to get you and your crew to the Imperial capital. You go through the Dark Temple, get to the Emperor's chamber with T7 as your companion, and after probably swearing at the game for making you use a companion who likely has level 20 green gear, you fight the Emperor and win. You get a choice to kill him outright or try to turn him to the light, which doesn't work (duh) and he pulls the roof down on himself. Then Scourge asks you why you didn't kill him, because he can still feel the Emperor's presence. So you maybe killed the Emperor (the Sith Warrior storyline explains that part of things) and then it's back to Coruscant for tea and medals.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

shadok posted:

Scourge has told you that the Emperor doesn't give a poo poo about the war against the Republic, it's just a pretext to use gigantic weapons of mass destruction to kill as many people as possible while secretly performing a dark ritual to use the mass deaths to fuel the Emperor's personal immortality. His endgame is to kill everything in the universe, thus becoming powerful enough to create a new universe according to his own design with himself as God. On Corellia you disable three WMDs and defeat Tol Braga, the guy who led the attack against the Emperor in chapter 1, who has been working for the Emperor ever since. He gives you the Emperor's physical location on Dromund Kaas, and Scourge uses his knowledge of Imperial security to get you and your crew to the Imperial capital. You go through the Dark Temple, get to the Emperor's chamber with T7 as your companion, and after probably swearing at the game for making you use a companion who likely has level 20 green gear, you fight the Emperor and win. You get a choice to kill him outright or try to turn him to the light, which doesn't work (duh) and he pulls the roof down on himself. Then Scourge asks you why you didn't kill him, because he can still feel the Emperor's presence. So you maybe killed the Emperor (the Sith Warrior storyline explains that part of things) and then it's back to Coruscant for tea and medals.

They've fixed the T7 problem now, you can pick up a set of items for him right outside the door to the final battle.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

shadok posted:

So you maybe killed the Emperor (the Sith Warrior storyline explains that part of things) and then it's back to Coruscant for tea and medals.

Cross-story spoilers: In the Sith Warrior storyline you find out that 'the Emperor' is actually 'the Emperor's Voice', just a shell that the actual Emperor inhabits and controls. The Emperor himself (itself?) is a force spirit and cannot be killed, he/it will simply transition into another Voice when the current one dies.

This is why nobody in the Empire has seen the Emperor in decades, since the current Voice has been locked up and prevented from dying in a force user trap temple thing (on Voss IIRC).

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

This is why nobody in the Empire has seen the Emperor in decades, since the current Voice has been locked up and prevented from dying in a force user trap temple thing (on Voss IIRC).

Yeah, Baras did that so he could sideline the Emperor, claim to be the Voice of the Emperor himself and take over control of the Dark Council and the Empire that way. The physical body defeated by the Jedi Knight was the next poor sap the Emperor took over after the Sith Warrior killed the Emperor's Voice on Voss, on the Emperor's orders.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

This page looks like a declassified NSA dossier.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oh hey, so if you get a pre-paid subscription voucher, don't input the code until your subscription is about to expire. Turns out this game is retarded and doesn't add time to the subscription like every other paid subscription service on earth and instead just changes your subscription. So, say, you had 15 days left before your subscription auto-renewed and you input a 60 day time card, you now have 60 days not 75.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Medullah posted:

Oh hey, so if you get a pre-paid subscription voucher, don't input the code until your subscription is about to expire. Turns out this game is retarded and doesn't add time to the subscription like every other paid subscription service on earth and instead just changes your subscription. So, say, you had 15 days left before your subscription auto-renewed and you input a 60 day time card, you now have 60 days not 75.

This did not happen to me. I had 15 days left on my monthly sub, just as in your hypothetical sitatuation, and added a 60 day game card on to it to have 75 days left. I just checked my time left and it says I have 63 days remaining. Although I might have cancelled the recurring sub first. Does that affect things?

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent

pentyne posted:

I was afk when you completed it and didn't get a chance to congratulate you. Then you logged in and out quick on Pri'us and i was in the middle of the fight so didn't notice. Belated congrats, i could FEEL you grinding it out.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dunno, my 90 day recurring was set to expire on December 5th, I applied the card and it says I have 60 days left.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Some notes from the SOR press event

The new "solo flashpoints" thing is pretty cool, and the "jesus droid" they're describing could be fun. I wonder if the loot will be non-existent in these - I suspect it will be so people can't farm recovered relics and the like.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Man, I just got an Esseles Scoundrel Jacket from the FP of the same name and it looks awesome on Corso but it's only medium armor. :emo:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

WarLocke posted:

Man, I just got an Esseles Scoundrel Jacket from the FP of the same name and it looks awesome on Corso but it's only medium armor. :emo:

You will hate him soon anyway, so it won't matter. Just make sure the stats are correct, I'm pretty sure he use aim, while a medium armor will be strength or cunning (cunning on this, since it's a scoundrel jacket)
Once you are done with Nar Shaddaa, you'll get a better companion that is more useful to you. Get a gamorean axe for him.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Well poo poo, I just got around to reading the changes to Rage Juggs -

•Destruction passive used to give Smash 100% damage at 3 stacks, now it only give you 15% damage boost at 3 stacks. This is a serious nerf to Smash damage.

Ughhhhhh

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Medullah posted:

Some notes from the SOR press event

The new "solo flashpoints" thing is pretty cool, and the "jesus droid" they're describing could be fun. I wonder if the loot will be non-existent in these - I suspect it will be so people can't farm recovered relics and the like.

http://prettylittlesith.com/2014/11/24/ea-redwood-shores-press-event-shadow-of-revan-preview-qa-transcriptaudio-link/

Even more stuff on SoR.

Edit:

Oricon Lessons

Swtorista: Oricon was received pretty well by the community; it was done differently with the daily areas leading into the operations. What are some things you learned from that planet and are taking forward into Shadow of Revan?

Dev: Great question. Shadow of Revan definitely draws on all of our learnings – it draws almost as much on RotHC as Oricon – RoTHC there were some opportunities for improvement there. So we learned a lot. Like… dense, mission-packed, make it worth the player’s time, like Oricon is very worth your time. And what we took into Shadow of Revan is to make sure “Is this worth the player’s time?” Make sure that it’s rewarding. One of the things that happened with RotHC is that many players leveled without ever going there. We spend so much time building these cool worlds and these cool stories, so we made a big effort to draw on the last expansion to make it very worth player’s time.

Dev: I think as well, doing a solo story leading to the operation, it had its pleasant ideas – we really wanted to get solo players more aware of how cool an operation can be, give them something that’s like “no, really!” Like you said, in the Dreadmaster story, there’s cool stuff happening here that maybe they weren’t familiar with or didn’t even realize existed. So you know. That’s what we’ve tried to do with SoR. Have the story lead into an operation. Downside to that was [in Oricon] you couldn’t see the very end of that story unless you played an operation and so I think learning from that was, we always need to try and make sure there’s a solo way to experience the coolness, the main parts of the story, the story of SoR.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 24, 2014

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Holy crap @ 2,4 and 6 piece set bonuses.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I might be taking a bit of a hiatus until a couple weeks or so after SoR comes out. Don't gkick me or something.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxF87TNU7kc

New trailer for SoR (pretty badass)

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I might be taking a bit of a hiatus until a couple weeks or so after SoR comes out. Don't gkick me or something.

I make no promises

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think after the expansion hits we'll re-evaluate the guild members...we're hitting 500 like every other week right now, and the last time I trimmed we're at the point where I removed people that hadn't logged in less than 60 days. I'm trying to keep mains in, even if I kick alts, but you guys are going nuts with your alts. :P

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

Medullah posted:

I think after the expansion hits we'll re-evaluate the guild members...we're hitting 500 like every other week right now, and the last time I trimmed we're at the point where I removed people that hadn't logged in less than 60 days. I'm trying to keep mains in, even if I kick alts, but you guys are going nuts with your alts. :P

I don't know what you are talking about. (rolls another alt)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

hopefully the rampant alt-itis will cool down after SoR comes out; I know I made a bunch because of the 12xp.

As long as hennimore and jonjonbanks survive, you can probably kick my other alts and I won't even notice (zzapp the sorc, howser the jugg, and robertcop the PT, who i've probably played for maybe an hour before getting bored)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't be surprised if I don't ever do anything with my sorc again beyond maxing her synthweaving so I can get that cheevo for having maxed all crew skills.

• Locked thread