Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LorneReams posted:

I want to ask, how important is an MSN vs a BSN? We have a choice of either program and I'm not quite sure what the real world differences are in terms of job prospects.
I think I know one MSN who works at the bedside currently, and she just graduated. Every other MSN I've known is either an advanced practice nurse or doing some form of management. My unit has 3 assistant unit directors, for want of a better description, who also come out of the office and act as charge nurses or occasionally take a patient assignment if we're short-staffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Annath posted:

An A for >80%?! Holy hell I should have gone to school in Oz.

Here an 80 is a C (2.0 GPA) but is only juuust considered satisfactory. You pull constant 80s and the faculty get on your case to improve.

While a 79 is a D, it's still considered a failing grade in that a grade of D for a course will not allow you to progress on.

An A is 94% or better.

The grading system is totally different in Australia, though. It's comparing apples to oranges. I did my non-nursing masters degree in the UK and if you got above a 75% on anything, you were considered a genius.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

LorneReams posted:

I want to ask, how important is an MSN vs a BSN? We have a choice of either program and I'm not quite sure what the real world differences are in terms of job prospects.
An MSN that isn't an advanced practice degree (NP, CRNA) is retarded if you aren't gunning for management.

Edit: I'm retarded let me rephrase that. It's good if you don't want to do advanced practice. It gives you a good option when you're sick of the bedside. Makes you way more competitive for supervisory gigs.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 13, 2014

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
All my managers in my rural but large regional flagship hospital have been BSNs, one had been there a million years and actually got her BSN after already being manager for a few years. We're openly talking about making the nurse managers a business position, with the implication that they wouldn't even be RNs. The effects of such a policy are nightmare fuel to me, go look at the TPS/ office work thread.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

awkward_turtle posted:

All my managers in my rural but large regional flagship hospital have been BSNs, one had been there a million years and actually got her BSN after already being manager for a few years. We're openly talking about making the nurse managers a business position, with the implication that they wouldn't even be RNs. The effects of such a policy are nightmare fuel to me, go look at the TPS/ office work thread.

The best nurse manager I've had as a bedside nurse only had an ADN. The thought of having a nurse manager that has zero nursing experience is asinine.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

NICU and high risk OB clinicals start Wednesday for me. Should be dissapointed, but there is no homework associated with these ones, :D.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Just got my third pharm exam done and I feel like I will be on the verge of pass/fail the entire time in nursing school. Tell me that it is the same everywhere else, goons. :clint: i know it is.. 80 is passing? Come on. Okay sure, whatevs. Every day here is the same poo poo where I don't know if I am passing or not or juuuuust passing.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
i just bombed a third test for critical care that I did not see coming at all. good times.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I just got amazing news that the annoying girl in my cohort who asks stupid questions all lecture, every lecture is dropping and is going to try again next semester. My boyfriend says not to gloat, but.... I can't help it.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Jamais Vu Again posted:

I just got amazing news that the annoying girl in my cohort who asks stupid questions all lecture, every lecture is dropping and is going to try again next semester. My boyfriend says not to gloat, but.... I can't help it.

My rule was no excessive gloating until I pass everything. It worked for me: by the end, I didn't even want to gloat. It was like the end of a war, where every victory is hollow, every face is sallow and tight, and you love your family but they definitely don't know what you know. They don't know anything and eye contact with your loved ones becomes a thing of the past.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I did the math, and for my class this semester, all I need is an 8 (out of 100) on the final to pass the class. Actually not scraping for points is a pretty nice feeling for once. I am so, so much more relaxed this semester.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Lecture is for learning, ask your stupid questions during skills lab. At least we have less and less stupid questions now, as more people drop out and/or fail. The girls that ask stupid questions are still making it but they seem even more lost than before...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My buddy ranted out loud in class during 1st semester patho-pharm when everyone decided that asking mundane questions and trying to be smart was the way to go.

I quote: "I think it's safe to say that we as a group of 1st semester nursing students don't know poo poo about poo poo, so I think its in our best interest to keep what we read on mayoclinic.com or webMD and listen to the person up front to fill our head with exactly what we need to pass the NCLEX. And then, once we've done that, we can ask questions, as nurses."

The teacher almost cried as she thanked him.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
You will find that the NCLEX is a remarkably low bar. You may extrapolate from there.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

When you work with some nurses it makes sense. :D
Of course I took all what... 265 questions? So I wonder what that says about me.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

MurderBot posted:

When you work with some nurses it makes sense. :D
Of course I took all what... 265 questions? So I wonder what that says about me.

Oh buddy, that's. . . well, you got the license I guess.

Peach
Mar 13, 2005

not only am I right, I'm a better penpal than you are.
Can someone explain how NCLEX works? I live in New Zealand, finished my degree up at the end of October and just sat my registration exam last week. It was a standard 180 question exam that all potential nurses have to sit (and pass) before they get their registration. I couldn't imagine answering 260?!

Also does no one else in this thread work PHC? :( hospitals blow.

Peach fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 24, 2014

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Peach posted:

Can someone explain how NCLEX works? I live in New Zealand, finished my degree up at the end of October and just sat my registration exam last week. It was a standard 180 question exam that all potential nurses have to sit (and pass) before they get their registration. I couldn't imagine answering 260?!
It's a variable difficulty test. If you're doing well it'll start giving you just hard category questions and then potentially end your test after 75 questions. If you aren't doing so hot it'll lower the difficulty of the questions and throw you more until you convince it your competent potentially up to the max of 265 or what ever. So if your test ended in 75 and you passed you kicked the poo poo out of it. If the test took you all the way to 265 you were probably borderline failing the whole time but eventually passed it. The end result is the same though, you never get a score other than pass or fail.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 24, 2014

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So there's this app called Figure 1 that has really cool medical cases and discussion about them. It's a pretty great place to learn random medical stuff that you might not normally encounter in your field.

Edit: oh yeah, pictures on app are obviously :nms:

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 24, 2014

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

djfooboo posted:

So there's this app called Figure 1 that has really cool medical cases and discussion about them. It's a pretty great ace to learn random medical stuff that you might not normally encounter in your field.

Edit: oh yeah, pictures on app are obviously :nms:

Awesome, thanks!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

It's a variable difficulty test. If you're doing well it'll start giving you just hard category questions and then potentially end your test after 75 questions. If you aren't doing so hot it'll lower the difficulty of the questions and throw you more until you convince it your competent potentially up to the max of 265 or what ever. So if your test ended in 75 and you passed you kicked the poo poo out of it. If the test took you all the way to 265 you were probably borderline failing the whole time but eventually passed it. The end result is the same though, you never get a score other than pass or fail.

75 questions could be you straight up failed it too and there was no point in attempting to reconcile With more questions.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

MurderBot posted:

75 questions could be you straight up failed it too and there was no point in attempting to reconcile With more questions.

True. But it'd have a to be a spectacular failure.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Finally got all my registrations paperwork ($$$) done through Michigan and got the ATT. Just have to review a couple more things and then I'll have my date to write the NCLEX.

Peach - What kind of stuff do you do? I was looking at public health when I was looking for a job but as a new grad I wanted the first thing available.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/27465528/nurse-injects-lethal-dose-of-coffee-milk-into-patients-iv-drip

Woo! Yeah way to go student overseers!

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).
When people see you guys do they say "hellooooooo nurse" like the animaniacs

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

chinchilla posted:

No, because I'm a fat male nursing student, so they either assume I'm an orderly or a Doc depending on the presence of a lab coat.

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).

quote:

Ribeiro's daughter, Loreni Ribeiro, said she witnessed the incident.

"I saw my mother was agitated, she opened her mouth, and this youngster put coffee with milk into the veins of my mother. Half a glass," Loreni said.

This sounds like the nurse poured coffee directly from a cup into an iv bag or something??

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

chinchilla posted:

This sounds like the nurse poured coffee directly from a cup into an iv bag or something??

From what I understood, the patient had both an IV line and a PEG tube (tube going through the skin into the stomach, to feed the patient if there is a problem with swallowing).

Nurse went to feed the patient coffee (the patient getting coffee through a PEG is odd since they wont taste it, but not really harmful) but instead of grabbing the PEG tube she pushed the coffee through the IV line.

I could maybe kinda see that sort of mistake? Maybe? However:

A. Where was the supervisor? This was her 2nd-3rd day on the job, and she was not familiar with the procedure. Why was she flying solo?
B. I think PEG tubes are bigger than IV tubes, so pushing through the IV should have been more difficult. But if the student has never done a PEG feeding, she has no basis for comparison, so....

Whole thing is hosed, but throwing the poor girl under the bus isn't gonna accomplish anything at all.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

chinchilla posted:

People think I am the pilot when and ask why I'm playing with their monitor when were packaging patients. :/

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 26, 2014

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Annath posted:

B. I think PEG tubes are bigger than IV tubes, so pushing through the IV should have been more difficult. But if the student has never done a PEG feeding, she has no basis for comparison, so....

Whole thing is hosed, but throwing the poor girl under the bus isn't gonna accomplish anything at all.

Yeah, this used to happen all the time in the States until someone had the painfully obvious in retrospect epiphany of making it so that peg tubes and IV lines had different connectors and you can't physically plug feeds into an IV or use a feeding syringe with an IV port.

It went from a "well this just happens sometimes" cause of death to nearly nonexistent, although every now and then someone jury rigs a fix and McGuyvers their way into killing a patient.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Annath posted:

No, because I'm a fat male nursing student, so they either assume I'm an orderly or a Doc depending on the presence of a lab coat.

I thoroughly enjoy being confused for a doctor all the time.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

This reminds me of a student nurse we had about a year ago. She was taking care of a patient who was NPO, had a central line, and requested pain medication. The patient's MAR had IV dilaudid and norco or percocet or whatever PO pain med. Hospital policy was that students could give PO meds without a preceptor if they had passed their checkoff, but all IV push meds required a preceptor/instructor to supervise administration. Now, in a brilliant display of critical thinking, this student nurse decided that she didn't want to bother her busy preceptor or instructor with something so mundane as pain meds, so she was going to give the norco, which is a PO med and therefore not subject to supervised administration. The patient, however, is NPO, so this student had to be clever. She decided the best route was obviously to grind up the norco in a pill crusher, dissolve it in tap water, and inject it into the central line. Thankfully, she was interrupted by her preceptor somewhere between the "dissolve in tap water" and "inject in central line" steps.

Needless to say, my hospital now requires ALL medication administration by students to be supervised.

Peach
Mar 13, 2005

not only am I right, I'm a better penpal than you are.

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Peach - What kind of stuff do you do? I was looking at public health when I was looking for a job but as a new grad I wanted the first thing available.

EVERYTHING. From the cradle to the grave. Today I dealt with vaccinations, phone triage (usually "please call an ambulance/please come and see a Dr") routine assessments of DM/COPD/CHF, mental health referrals and a bunch of wounds. We do basically everything at my GP clinic. There is always a huge variety in my day and there's no shiftwork, no nights, no weekends and no poo :')

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Peach posted:

EVERYTHING. From the cradle to the grave. Today I dealt with vaccinations, phone triage (usually "please call an ambulance/please come and see a Dr") routine assessments of DM/COPD/CHF, mental health referrals and a bunch of wounds. We do basically everything at my GP clinic. There is always a huge variety in my day and there's no shiftwork, no nights, no weekends and no poo :')

Good for some but I love my four days off. Every week. >:D

Post about new grads loving things up in icu forthcoming.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

This reminds me of a student nurse we had about a year ago. She was taking care of a patient who was NPO, had a central line, and requested pain medication. The patient's MAR had IV dilaudid and norco or percocet or whatever PO pain med. Hospital policy was that students could give PO meds without a preceptor if they had passed their checkoff, but all IV push meds required a preceptor/instructor to supervise administration. Now, in a brilliant display of critical thinking, this student nurse decided that she didn't want to bother her busy preceptor or instructor with something so mundane as pain meds, so she was going to give the norco, which is a PO med and therefore not subject to supervised administration. The patient, however, is NPO, so this student had to be clever. She decided the best route was obviously to grind up the norco in a pill crusher, dissolve it in tap water, and inject it into the central line. Thankfully, she was interrupted by her preceptor somewhere between the "dissolve in tap water" and "inject in central line" steps.

Needless to say, my hospital now requires ALL medication administration by students to be supervised.

I love that the LPN scope of practice (at least here) doesn't allow them to IV push meds, yet a bumbling nursing student can push whatever the gently caress they want. Fwiw, my clinical sites didn't allow IV push by any nursing students, even supervised. I imagine there's a reason for that...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Fwiw, my clinical sites didn't allow IV push by any nursing students, even supervised. I imagine there's a reason for that...

I will always remember my first clinical. Taking report, going to med room to retrieve IV Push Morphine and going to repack GSW's. I love inner city clinical sites!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I work trauma-surgical icu. We have had an influx of new nurses recently. Many have thrived, some have not.

One special little snowflake has not shown a growth in critical thinking and has demonstrated poor assessment habits.

On one occasion she attempted to do an ET tube tape change on a very obese patient with a mallampati airway score of three or five. She failed to maintain definitive airway control. She had to shout for help as I walked by the room. At a total loss what to do she had also failed to take corrective action to maximize oxygenation while the tube was semi dislodged. No increase in FiO2, left the ventilator alarming low volume instead of switching to ambu bag.

When I got in there I ended up just extubating to mask, guy was fortunately awake and following commands and I was familiar with his condition.

On another occasion same nurse infused antibiotics mixed NS into the patients IV instead of the continuous bladder irrigation it was meant for. The bright pink sticker that said IRRIGATION ONLY apparently didn't arouse get suspicion until thirty minutes before the end of our twelve hour shift. Incident report blah blah, pharmacist said no adverse effect because it was mixed and packaged for IV, which is why she assumed it was that route. Concentration wouldn't be therapeutic in the bladder but that's all.

Our special little buddy continues to act blaise about her patients and conditions, failing to prioritize correctly. Taking a blood pressure on an active GI bleed new admission is a higher priority than cleaning your patient with CHG wipes.

She failed to recognize a failed and bleeding AC IV, failed to recognize her meds pushed through that Iv didn't work, and why they looked shocky. Labs showed a five point drop in Hgb. Charge was busy with crashing patients but noticed blood on the floor and located the cause. Nurse in question tried to insinuate it must have " just happened " but the coagulation implied otherwise.

Not progressing, not showing critical thinking, watches loving anime at work instead of using the extensive learning resources we have available. Anime for fucks sake.

We have another new grad that managed to lose a sutured IJ. Didn't assess the line well and said before it was removed it " looked funny " but declined to seek a more experienced opinion. Then after her and our nurse from the previous stories were turning her they noticed it had come out. New grad thought the big plastic line was just one lumen. She didn't hold pressure on the wound or lay the patient flat. She told our charge, which is good, but left the patient to do it. Which is bad. No adverse outcomes fortunately.

A third nurse who was a transfer from our stepdown unit with about a year experience helped with a central line placement then didn't get the xray for placement confirmation then ran everything through one lumen. When asked why she didn't check compatibility she claimed "I didn't have time" which shows a severe lack of cognitive activity.

It's fine to not know. It's very bad to not ask, it's worse to not try to learn proactively.

Regarding peg vs iv mismatch our peg/og kits come with a small blue og type syringe to leur lock converter. Given the infrequency that's ever used, including them in the kit should be viewed as a significant safety risk.

Students should absolutely be pushing iv drugs in clinicals. I've seen a lot of nurses, however, who view students as either a resource or a burden. They should be viewed as an opportunity to improve the peers you will work with. I had a single preceptor for each clinical so they could follow our progress. With a closer working relationship greater progressive autonomy can be achieved.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
The only drugs we don't do are IV push drugs(stat) and although I have pushed drugs before I like that we have our nursing instructor around for it. Always good to know what she is thinking.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've had some really awesome experiences in clinical.

I've also had times where the staff nurses literally said "yay the CNAs we don't have to pay are here" (which really freaking pissed off a CNA when I mentioned it as a "haha that's funny" anecdote)

And then I've had terrible experiences with staff nurses who literally argued over having to pair with students, left the unit for multiple half hour stretches, and actively attempted to "lose" students by sending them to take vitals in a room and vanishing while the student was occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I've mostly had good experiences with Nurses in my clinicals North of the Border, but I suspect things are a little different here. We're separated into groups of 6-8 students on one floor with one instructor, and we take over patients 1/1 for the duration of a shift, reporting back to the nurse as needed.

Recently a student was kicked out due to a fuckup, which is one of the first times we've had this happen to our cohort, but due to the teachers putting the fear of God into her clinical classmates, all I've understood is that she hosed something up and tried to hang the blame on someone else.