Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Not to derail whatever it is that's going on here, but am I the only one old enough to remember the dude on USENET back in the 80's or early 90's who was (apparently) a hard-core Velikovsky-ite? I think he went by "hTh" on the sci.astro group (I think). He had all sorts of bizarre ideas about how the only way dinosaurs could have actually existed would be that back in the Mesozoic Saturn was much closer to Earth so that its gravity could help the massive animals not collapse into a swamp.

I'm going to go looking for it. There must be some trace of that left; it went on for quite a long time. [edit] Here we go.. Apparently he evolved into a freeper at some point.

There was also the guy ("L. Detweiler", also known as "S.Boxx") on the cypherpunks mailing list and the alt.crypto group who went insane around the time that the original Clipper proposal was floated (1992 or so). He became obsessed with the concept of "pseudo-anonymity", which meant something like people who were real people pretending to be other real people on the internet. It was a pretty weird thing to watch.

:v: new page! perfect time for a random new topic

emfive fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

emfive posted:

Not to derail whatever it is that's going on here, but am I the only one old enough to remember the dude on USENET back in the 80's or early 90's who was (apparently) a hard-core Velikovsky-ite? I think he went by "hTh" on the sci.astro group (I think). He had all sorts of bizarre ideas about how the only way dinosaurs could have actually existed would be that back in the Mesozoic Saturn was much closer to Earth so that its gravity could help the massive animals not collapse into a swamp.

I'm going to go looking for it. There must be some trace of that left; it went on for quite a long time.

Check out this to try to find the guy:
http://wiki.killfile.org/mirror/net.legends/

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Yea I found him. Ted Holden. Man, those were the days.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Schmidling & Co. staked-out 14.313 as their personal turf and set up a swearing/yelling/threatening encounter group that, due to the magic of ionospheric propogation, interfered with the normal activities of amateur radio operators worldwide. The last I heard, the FCC had cracked-down on the 14.313 mob, issuing $10,000 fines and such, and the frequency seems to be rather quiet now. Anyone know if Jack got caught up in the dragnet? Is that why he is now the master.loon of rec.arts.brewing rather than rec.radio.amateur.misc?

quote:

He's back in alt.revisionism again, repeating his oft-disproved claim that Barry Shein maliciously altered a post of his when reposting it in another article.

:allears: Never change, disturbed nerds. Never change.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Conspiracy Thread: I'm fine. I assure you. You're the one with all the problems. 

Man, y'all are ridiculous. We need a new conspiracy to talk about, arguing with that brony is getting old.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Conspiracy Thread: I'm fine. I assure you. You're the one with all the problems. 

Man, y'all are ridiculous. We need a new conspiracy to talk about, arguing with that brony is getting old.

http://beforeitsnews.com/conspiracy-theories/2014/08/this-is-why-they-killed-robin-williams-2464742.html

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Let's get back to conspiracy talk guys. I have really been thinking about Operation Northwoods lately. As far as I can tell Operation Northwoods is a real historical example of the government conspiring to engage in a false flag terror operation and blame it on another country. Doesn't the reality of Operation Northwoods establish a degree of plausibility to the CT claims that there may have been a false flag angle to the 9/11 attacks?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

You know the video of the woman saying Monster energy drinks are the work of the devil? I have a friend who believes her 100%. When I asked him if the part where the M looks like the number 6 in Hebrew could be a coincidence, and he responded with "there's no such thing as coincidence."

Which is something I've only ever heard from conspiracy theorists, now that I think about it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Let's get back to conspiracy talk guys. I have really been thinking about Operation Northwoods lately. As far as I can tell Operation Northwoods is a real historical example of the government conspiring to engage in a false flag terror operation and blame it on another country. Doesn't the reality of Operation Northwoods establish a degree of plausibility to the CT claims that there may have been a false flag angle to the 9/11 attacks?

I hope you're capable of compreheding the fact that a rejected policy proposal does not validate the possibility of a false flag attacks 40 years later.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I hope you're capable of compreheding the fact that a rejected policy proposal does not validate the possibility of a false flag attacks 40 years later.

I understand this, but can't it be used to establish a a historical predilection for such action? Listening to some of the posters in this thread it sounds like you must be also believe in shape shifting reptilians if you think that there are criminal networks that would ever plot a false flag terrorist attack. The existence of Operation Northwoods would seem to undermine this point somewhat. Also, more recently Operation Gladio in Italy had CIA involvement in false flag terror.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I understand this, but can't it be used to establish a a historical predilection for such action? Listening to some of the posters in this thread it sounds like you must be also believe in shape shifting reptilians if you think that there are criminal networks that would ever plot a false flag terrorist attack. The existence of Operation Northwoods would seem to undermine this point somewhat. Also, more recently Operation Gladio in Italy had CIA involvement in false flag terror.

It's a thing that didn't happen fifty some years ago. A list of other things that didn't happen fifty years ago: a MAD nuclear strike, Soviets taking over the entire world, Hitler clones leading a new Reich from Brazil, etc etc. The American intelligence apparatus gets up to plenty enough totally awful poo poo that you don't need to invent more poo poo for them.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Indeed, a conspiracy that was both never carried out and is now also publicly known about is definitely evidence that 9/11 was a false flag operation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I understand this, but can't it be used to establish a a historical predilection for such action?

No, it can't. It's like saying that since I decided to not to eat ice cream for breakfast 3 years ago when someone asked things, I am demonstrating a historical predilection to eat ice cream for breakfast.

I mean you realize that planners also consider scenarios like "what if we have to invade Canada?" and draw up contingencies for that too right? In fact there's plans for "what if we have to invade X" where X is literally any country that currently exists and most countries that previously existed between about 1920 and now. Many of these countries we have multiple plans for, involving various combinations of countries we expect to oppose us and support us when invading say South Africa.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Before the Apollo program the USA had a plan to nuke the moon as a gently caress you to the Soviets. Is a future Chinese taikonaut on the moon in danger of being nuked by the USA y/n?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I wouldn't put it past many of the various sleazy assholes in positions of power throughout history to try to pull off some conspiracy theory-esque type stuff. However, if you are going to make such accusations you better have some good, solid evidence and a speculative false flag that never was carried out fails to meet that standard.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

The existence of Operation Northwoods would seem to undermine this point somewhat.

If you read the plans for Northwood they went out of their way to make sure no US citizens were killed. They could have made it much easier to carry out, keep it secret and have much more impact if they actually shot down a plane full of Americans but it's clearly a line they won't cross. Northwoods actually undermines most False flag claims.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CeeJee posted:

If you read the plans for Northwood they went out of their way to make sure no US citizens were killed. They could have made it much easier to carry out, keep it secret and have much more impact if they actually shot down a plane full of Americans but it's clearly a line they won't cross. Northwoods actually undermines most False flag claims.

Okay I get Northwoods isn't direct evidence of anything pertaining to 9/11 or anything happening today. But documentary evidence of a deception campaign to create a casus belli to convince the American public to attack another country is something that undermines most false flag claims? That seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Most of you guys have also rightly pointed out all the covert things that actually came to fruition and actually caused real deaths by the American intelligence community, enough that any conspiracy theorist can draw upon without relying on northwoods. So I guess Northwoods is either a interesting red herring or icing on the cake depending on which sort of narrative you want to tell yourself about 9/11.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Okay I get Northwoods isn't direct evidence of anything pertaining to 9/11 or anything happening today. But documentary evidence of a deception campaign to create a casus belli to convince the American public to attack another country is something that undermines most false flag claims? That seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Most of you guys have also rightly pointed out all the covert things that actually came to fruition and actually caused real deaths by the American intelligence community, enough that any conspiracy theorist can draw upon without relying on northwoods. So I guess Northwoods is either a interesting red herring or icing on the cake depending on which sort of narrative you want to tell yourself about 9/11.

The point specifically is that a much more rogue and cowboy CIA and DoD proposed a program of false flag attacks much more modest than 9/11 and everyone was like "yeah no."

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

blowfish posted:

Before the Apollo program the USA had a plan to nuke the moon as a gently caress you to the Soviets.

I can just imagine the alternate universe Discovery Channel "documentary" about the alien moon base the US nuked as part of their secret space war.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

blowfish posted:

Freeman Dyson was silenced by BIG POLITICS, who prevented him from building a nuclear bomb propelled spaceship (with optional space cannons using directed nuclear bomb explosions instead of pansy rear end shells or lasers).

e: it's even in his name - the Free Man had to be stopped to keep mankind in mediocrity :tinfoil:

This all sounds incredibly great and maybe if America grew some hair on its ladybits we'd have nukeships and be on Mars by now.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Top conspiracy theorists attracted by this thread:

1) JFK
2) 9/11
3) ????? - have we gotten any moon landing deniers yet?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Why does it seem like a stretch? Even dudes who were happy to install murderous dictators in foreign countries on a Wednesday and get back in time for a round of golf on Friday voted no on the plan.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

The point is that nobody carried out the plan; it was rejected. The fact that a plan was proposed and then rejected is indicative that even the shady as poo poo CIA of the 1960s/1970s wouldn't be willing to do something like a false flag 9/11, so it would stand to reason that today's CIA wouldn't be willing to, either. The fact that the Northwoods plan goes so far out of its way to not kill any American citizens, whereas 9/11 killed thousands, only further reinforces that reasoning.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And yet again, there's forty years and seven administrations between Kennedy and 9/11.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:doh:

zakharov posted:

Top conspiracy theorists attracted by this thread:

1) JFK
2) 9/11

They don't want to get knocked on their rear end by Buzz.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 24, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

zakharov posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MOnehCOUw

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The moon landing nuts are a bit weird because even the Soviets, who were the number one competition in the race to the moon, have not made a single solitary noise to suggest that it was faked. And they're the ones who would stand to gain the most by suggesting so.

Does this vast conspiracy of silence not only extend to the thousands of people who worked on the project, all their family members, all the people who were tangentially associated with it (independent contractors etc), but also to the equal amount of people in a completely different, politically opposed country?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ddraig posted:

The moon landing nuts are a bit weird because even the Soviets, who were the number one competition in the race to the moon, have not made a single solitary noise to suggest that it was faked. And they're the ones who would stand to gain the most by suggesting so.

Does this vast conspiracy of silence not only extend to the thousands of people who worked on the project, all their family members, all the people who were tangentially associated with it (independent contractors etc), but also to the equal amount of people in a completely different, politically opposed country?

As a former moon landing denier myself I'll field this one. The moon is a hollowed out planetoid brought artificially to Earth's orbit millenia ago and serves as a base of operations for the Reptilians in our solar system. We have never landed on the moon because the Reptilians/their slaves the "Gray's" warned us not too. The moon landing was faked as a way to cover up where all the money that went into the real space program was spent. Our actual space program has craft capable of traveling to the moon within 90 minutes and even has some craft capable of traveling to nearby solar systems, everything NASA does is just theater to keep us distracted.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that both Russia and the US are deeply permeated with Illuminati agents, which is why the 2 countries secretly work in tandem so often while publicly pretending to be rivals.

Edit: The moon landing footage was filmed by Stanley Kubrick with an agreement that if he did this none of his films would ever be censored again. He pushed this too far and revealed too much when he made Eyes Wide Shut (which deals with the truth of Monarch programming and the Satanic orgies the Illuminati love to indulge in) and he was killed so that a toned down edited version could be released without the danger of his objections. Kubrick was actually a hero at the end of his life because he was trying to fight back and get the truth out there despite having been a willing participant for so many years.

Second Edit: Let me blow ya'lls mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HLwuzIHGkw

If you guys want I can start posting poo poo like the above that only the real hardcore conspiracy theorists have ever even heard of. Truth be told with most CT's stuff like the faked moon landing or 9-11 false flag material is just baby food being fed gently to the ignorant masses because they aren't ready to handle the real REAL truth yet.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 24, 2014

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Ddraig posted:

I love how the typical :tinfoil: comeback to this is "umm...grain shipments or something".

It's probably come up in the thread already but what's the truther crowds response to the glaring problem of how the same brilliant shadow government that pulled off 9/11 couldn't plant even a single convincing WMD lab in Iraq post-invasion?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Prester John posted:

As a former moon landing denier myself I'll field this one. The moon is a hollowed out planetoid brought artificially to Earth's orbit millenia ago and serves as a base of operations for the Reptilians in our solar system. We have never landed on the moon because the Reptilians/their slaves the "Gray's" warned us not too. The moon landing was faked as a way to cover up where all the money that went into the real space program was spent. Our actual space program has craft capable of traveling to the moon within 90 minutes and even has some craft capable of traveling to nearby solar systems, everything NASA does is just theater to keep us distracted.

Oh, and I guess I should mention that both Russia and the US are deeply permeated with Illuminati agents, which is why the 2 countries secretly work in tandem so often while publicly pretending to be rivals.

Edit: The moon landing footage was filmed by Stanley Kubrick with an agreement that if he did this none of his films would ever be censored again. He pushed this too far and revealed too much when he made Eyes Wide Shut (which deals with the truth of Monarch programming and the Satanic orgies the Illuminati love to indulge in) and he was killed so that a toned down edited version could be released without the danger of his objections. Kubrick was actually a hero at the end of his life because he was trying to fight back and get the truth out there despite having been a willing participant for so many years.

Are there no moon landing deniers who draw the line there and don't go in for the deeper illuminati/reptilian stuff?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BBJoey posted:

Are there no moon landing deniers who draw the line there and don't go in for the deeper illuminati/reptilian stuff?

There are, the most common rebuttal to that one is that the whole Apollo landing was automated. We couldn't send real dudes becaue the Van Allen belts would kill them. We actually sent a craft to the Moon with nobody on it. Don't ask about the visible signs of human activity on the Moon's surface.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

BBJoey posted:

Yes, but in my experience not very many, and because of the nature of Conspiracy Theorists most of these eventually move on to joining UFO nuts. There are two broad but often bitterly divided groups of UFO nuts. The "nuts and bolts" camp that holds that UFO are physical 3 dimensional machines created by advanced intelligence's for interstellar travel. And the "spiritual devices" camp that holds that UFO's are often non-physical thought manifestations created by advanced intelligence's for the purpose of changing vibration frequencies so that they can interact with our low vibrating limited 3rd dimensional consciousness. This gives the appearance of interstellar travel but is actually quite different,

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

AceRimmer posted:

I love how the typical :tinfoil: comeback to this is "umm...grain shipments or something".

It's probably come up in the thread already but what's the truther crowds response to the glaring problem of how the same brilliant shadow government that pulled off 9/11 couldn't plant even a single convincing WMD lab in Iraq post-invasion?

They never intended to plant WMD's, the whole point of the Iraq invasion was to see if the American public could be pushed into accepting a war on premises that would be revealed as false. Its kind of how like the Dams were blown in the aftermath of Katrina as a way of beta testing firearms confiscations and forced population relocation's into FEMA camps. In both cases success was achieved.

I'll be around all day if you guys just want to fire questions at me.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Prester John posted:

Yes, but in my experience not very many, and because of the nature of Conspiracy Theorists most of these eventually move on to joining UFO nuts. There are two broad but often bitterly divided groups of UFO nuts. The "nuts and bolts" camp that holds that UFO are physical 3 dimensional machines created by advanced intelligence's for interstellar travel. And the "spiritual devices" camp that holds that UFO's are often non-physical thought manifestations created by advanced intelligence's for the purpose of changing vibration frequencies so that they can interact with our low vibrating limited 3rd dimensional consciousness. This gives the appearance of interstellar travel but is actually quite different,

do these people get their understanding of how the universe works from watching Fringe or something

please tell me there are entire conspiracy theories based around fringe

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What's with the whole "two original moons" thing where one destroyed Lumeria (sp?) and Atlantis. Also, how big is the Thule society? I've noticed a lot of rightwing and deeply racist views crop up in CT circles, is my sample selection just off or do you think CTs and racism are related?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BBJoey posted:

It was pretty funny when this showed up in Interstellar.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

AddMEonFacebook posted:

Use better grammar if you want me to reply.

Jesus Christ, shut up. Wait I don't want you to reply so...

Shut Jesus, up, you Christ won't you not! please,,,your psots suck the poo poo...!!

You're gimmicks's not funny or interesting and the thread's not that great to begin with but it has its moments.

None of those moments involve your contributions

Are you that bored that making GBS threads up a 3-star thread has become your stupid calling in life? You suck. Stop posting.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 24, 2014

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Shbobdb posted:

What's with the whole "two original moons" thing where one destroyed Lumeria (sp?) and Atlantis. Also, how big is the Thule society? I've noticed a lot of rightwing and deeply racist views crop up in CT circles, is my sample selection just off or do you think CTs and racism are related?

I don't know about two original moons, that one is new to me.

As far as the inherent racism, that has more to do with particular quirks of American CT's (which largely drive the CT movement). I am nearly at my internet limit for the month from phone tethering so I can't link it but look up the John Birch Society as well as an article called "The Paranoid Style in American Politics" which was published in Harpers? (I think) in the 60's. While Birch Society crap is itself racist, it was also marketed quietly to racists for many years following the very real conspiracy between William F Buckley Jr. and Barry Goldwater to demonize the John Birch society in Conservative circles/America broadly.

The Thule society was an Illuminati front organization that schemed Hitler into power as a pretext to launch their 2nd great war as per the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. In the circles I ran in understanding the meanings of Thule symbolism was considered important, but the group itself was thought to be just one tentacle and not all that particularly interesting outside of their involvement with Hitler.

If you want a real potential Conspiracy Theory that might not actually be pants-on-head retarded then consider that the father of the Koch Bro's was one of the founders of the John Birch Society. Alex Jones (who is widely acknowledged to be a power hungry maniac behind the scenes) vomits Birch Society bullshit verbatim, and if you are an aspiring truther you will too unless you want Alex Jones coming after you behind the scenes. Alex (and by extension the majority of prominent CT'ers) has shown a remarkable hesitancy to criticize the Koch's, even going so far as to praise them on a number of occasions. Alex has also played a massive but under-appreciate role in Cliven Bundy, the founding of the Tea Party, and the rise of Ron and Rand Paul, to say nothing of the 9-11 truth movement being probably 85% the result of his work. Koch bro's conspiracies are strangely rare on the internet as a result, and almost none of the usual crazies even bother researching the Kochs or creating any amusing/bathsit theories about them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shbobdb posted:

We probably actually did have two moons for a while after whatever impact we had that made the moon - and as a result the conspiracy theory about this being true and covered up kinda died out. No fun in touting a conspiracy theory once it has some evidence behind it.

Thule society isn't very big, people who believe in it and have other conspiracy theorist views are just plain old neo-nazis. Otherwise they wouldn't care about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Jones is also on Putin's payroll.

• Locked thread