Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nessus posted:

What I kind of wish to see is what kind of social and cultural narratives a genuinely atheistic culture would develop over centuries, just to see if they'd abandon the same drat patterns of biblical narrative or not. Call it a... scientific curiosity.

When you say "biblical narrative," what exactly do you mean? I can't think of any narrative structures that originated in the Bible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Muscle Tracer posted:

So, based on those revelations, why would it not be possible to pass moral judgement on what is known about it? If a man tells me "Hey, there's an omnipotent god up there who created all of this and it's sending you to burn in hellfire in eternity because you don't believe in it," why can I not make a moral judgement on that basis?

Besides which, even just other people are beyond our comprehension. If a person tortures your grandparents to death, do you withhold moral judgement on them or their actions simply because you don't fully understand or can't comprehend them? Because if a hell of a lot of Christians are right, then that's effectively what their God has done to my grandparents.

Because that just presents you with a choice and explains its consequences. It seems crazy to me to judge an omnipotent god that created everything on that basis, but maybe that's just me.

People are not beyond our comprehension in the same way as God. Also, it doesn't really matter anyway, since there are rules by which men are judged. If a person did that then yes, I would judge them. But even that is only because I'm not righteous enough to leave it to God, as I should. Why single out your grandparents? If a lot of Christians are right, God has done that even to infants who never had any choice or say in the matter. But if those same Christians are right then we can't judge God so...

It is very convenient to take only the first part of it into consideration: God is responsible for all the suffering, but anything beyond that is a lie. If that's how you see it, then I understand your position.

rudatron posted:

You don't need a position to judge. Positions are necessary for a judgement to be respected by a group of people, but again, that's political. As a subject, each person has the capability to reach their own judgements - no 'position' required. Like, you brought up this line of conversation because you said you didn't like how atheists discuss the issue: why is a position is necessary for that? And why does whatever you're judging have to be 'accountable'? In discussions on countries here on Something Awful, nothing said on this forum will ever Bring Any Country Into Account. Are those discussion 'invalid'? And mate, everyone has a standard. Everyone judges everything else by their own standard. You can disagree with someone else's standard, but you can't very well deny that they have one.

To demand that you need A Right to judge, A Position to judge, and the ability to bring whatever you're judging to Account is honestly really dystopian: you're denying people their own perspectives and subjectivity simply because they lack power. That's tyranny apologia right there. And I think this brings me to something I've always thought, that religion has always been a metaphor for society. So societies with rigid hierarchies have that same hierarchy embedded into their religion. So the idea that God is unaccountable is functionally a mechanism for social control. It's a mental device to justify tyranny.

So I say, gently caress that poo poo. If god exists and is a fascist, then it's necessary to murder god. I say that both because I mean it, and that it applies to the metaphorical God as much as the metaphysical one: 'God' as metaphor, as an ideological instrument of justifying dictatorship, must be rended limb from limb, so that it can never be put back together again.

To take up your example, a position is necessary here because without it this conversation would be impossible, or pure jibberish. This conversation is possible because we understand one another as human beings (our whatever we call it), even if we disagree about the matter at hand. We both acknowledge, if only implicitly, that the other has some right to be heard and answered (even if only to be rebutted etc.). That's why I think a "position" is necessary in this case. It doesn't make any sense to judge something that isn't accountable. Of course you could, for example, pass moral judgement on something that lacks agency or control over its actions, but that would be pointless and silly. Also, I don't think that countries are accountable, people are. The fact that we're unable to actually bring someone to account doesn't invalidate judgement or make it impossible. It doesn't make a discussion "invalid" to me. I'm not saying that we need the ability to "physically" bring whatever we're judging to account for us to consider it accountable. It is of course perfectly possible to say that something is good or bad without doing anything about it.

My argument was that you have no standard by which to judge God, not that you have no standard whatsoever.

All I'm denying is man's "right" and ability to judge God. By this I don't mean your mental and physical ability to form the thought "god is evil," or to pronounce or type the words. If you see religion as a metaphor for society then I understand why it's so difficult for us to find any common ground. I hope I'm not being unfair here but, as I understand it all our talk about god is actually pointless since, to you, he's only a cudgel in the hands of the ruling class. But you can't murder God, obviously.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Sakarja posted:

But you can't murder God, obviously.

We did once! Ol' bastard didn't stay dead, and he is allegedly cool about the whole thing, but still we got him good that one time!

rahven
Jul 25, 2003

Sakarja posted:

Because that just presents you with a choice and explains its consequences. It seems crazy to me to judge an omnipotent god that created everything on that basis, but maybe that's just me.

In Genesis, what changes took place when Adam and Eve ate the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sakarja posted:

But you can't murder God, obviously.

Sez you :pervert:

quote:

And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

God is afraid of us. He parried our first attack, the Tower of Babel. But we're coming to kill him and take his poo poo

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sakarja posted:

People are not beyond our comprehension in the same way as God. Also, it doesn't really matter anyway, since there are rules by which men are judged. If a person did that then yes, I would judge them. But even that is only because I'm not righteous enough to leave it to God, as I should. Why single out your grandparents? If a lot of Christians are right, God has done that even to infants who never had any choice or say in the matter. But if those same Christians are right then we can't judge God so...

It is very convenient to take only the first part of it into consideration: God is responsible for all the suffering, but anything beyond that is a lie. If that's how you see it, then I understand your position.

I think it's all a lie, but I'm entertaining notions based on what I understand Christianity to be. If there is a certain facet you think I am ignoring and which could balance out what I'm talking about, by all means, tell me. But creating a race of creatures so you can torture all but a select few of them for eternity is, from my perspective, unequivocally evil, and I don't see how anything could redeem it, especially when the being in question is omnipotent and omniscient.

As far as Christians thinking I can't judge God: why should I confirm or reject every part of another person's arguments together? If someone tells me that the sky is yellow and therefore I must give them everything I own, I can debate and discuss the validity of the former argument without automatically agreeing with their analysis of the latter one. That's actually kinda what this entire thread is about.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Muscle Tracer posted:

When you say "biblical narrative," what exactly do you mean? I can't think of any narrative structures that originated in the Bible.
While this is true, I think it's fair to say that a lot of narratives and such are known to the general person FROM the Bible, even if they originated earlier. In this case however I mean having an ideological or cultural structure around atheism that doesn't smack like triumphalist Protestant Christianity with Science replacing Jesus, Critical Thinking replacing Prayer, and Religious Idiots replacing Heathen Unbelievers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SedanChair posted:

God is afraid of us. He parried our first attack, the Tower of Babel. But we're coming to kill him and take his poo poo

Oh, indeed: http://www.theonion.com/articles/nasa-completes-52year-mission-to-find-kill-god,19263/

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Nessus posted:

While this is true, I think it's fair to say that a lot of narratives and such are known to the general person FROM the Bible, even if they originated earlier. In this case however I mean having an ideological or cultural structure around atheism that doesn't smack like triumphalist Protestant Christianity with Science replacing Jesus, Critical Thinking replacing Prayer, and Religious Idiots replacing Heathen Unbelievers.

Ahh, I gotcha, and totally agree. It's ironic to see folks like Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins blame religious belief for the terrible things that happen in the world, when they are already following the exact same patterns. Ask a staunch, militant Atheist why he has such strong faith that there is no God, and we could be having this same thread in reverse.

Agnostics, tho...

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Muscle Tracer posted:

Ahh, I gotcha, and totally agree. It's ironic to see folks like Bill Maher and Richard Dawkins blame religious belief for the terrible things that happen in the world, when they are already following the exact same patterns. Ask a staunch, militant Atheist why he has such strong faith that there is no God, and we could be having this same thread in reverse.

Agnostics, tho...

It doesn't take faith to not belief in an unproven entity, any more than it takes faith to not believe in phlogiston, orgone energy, or aether.

EDIT: Though if you're referring to the brand of New Atheists popping up on the internet, sure.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Agnostics, tho...

This is such an old argument, that atheists are just as bad as the faithful when it comes to their "beliefs".

We don't have a separate term for non-golf players, we don't have to label ourselves as "not biologists", so how is "atheism" even a coherent group, much less one with a single creed in which to have "faith".

Of course, if you have a problem with the provocateurs Dawkins and Hitchens and the like, then I do tend to agree with you, although I'd like to point out that you really aren't against "atheists" so much as "assholes"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

This is such an old argument, that atheists are just as bad as the faithful when it comes to their "beliefs".

We don't have a separate term for non-golf players, we don't have to label ourselves as "not biologists", so how is "atheism" even a coherent group, much less one with a single creed in which to have "faith".

Because self defined atheists create the label.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Of course, if you have a problem with the provocateurs Dawkins and Hitchens and the like, then I do tend to agree with you, although I'd like to point out that you really aren't against "atheists" so much as "assholes"

As an athiest, I stand behind this. You can be an athiest and a hateful rear end in a top hat just as much as someone with faith.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

It doesn't take faith to not belief in an unproven entity, any more than it takes faith to not believe in phlogiston, orgone energy, or aether.

EDIT: Though if you're referring to the brand of New Atheists popping up on the internet, sure.

That's agnosticism, though, not atheism. Atheism is the certainty that there are no deities, often extending to the rejection of anything supernatural, and in the worst cases a rejection of anything not already proven by science, which becomes ironically unscientific. It doesn't take faith to see no reason to believe in, say, the Christian God, but a categorical statement about the belief or disbelief in the possibility of the supernatural does.

Let me put it this way: my father was an ex-Lutheran-turned-militant-Atheist, who connected with Hitchens and Dawkins and so on, and believed religion to be evil. I asked him once, "if you woke up one day and God was up there in the sky, telling everybody that, seriously, they ought to believe everything in the Bible, and everyone around you changed their lives to accomodate that, what would you do?" His response was, "I'd know I was hallucinating or had gone insane, because there can be no God." That is faith, and if someone doesn't feel *that* strongly about it, I'd argue they're agnostic rather than atheist. It's this type I'm talking about.

I'm not "against atheists," but thanks for trying to make me look like a bigot I guess? I'm skeptical of the specific subset of atheism that I described, which I wouldn't have described if I'd meant "all atheists."

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Muscle Tracer posted:

That's agnosticism, though, not atheism. Atheism is the certainty that there are no deities

Nope

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Every atheist is by definition an agnostic. An agnostic knows he can't know, and may live life as though a god or gods exist, or don't exist. An atheist knows he can't know, and lives life as though there are no gods since he has no reason to believe there are any. It is simply living without theism.

e: I suppose I should clarify it as "every rational atheist" since god by definition is impossible to prove or disprove. Well, some potential types of gods, anyway.

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 24, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just wondering but what would people consider believing that say the Christian god exists but is inaccurately described? Because a whole bunch of people seem to believe no gods exist because, say, the Christian god would be evil if it existed. As if actually being what the people who wanted you to believe in it said it is is required to exist.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kit Walker posted:

Every atheist is by definition an agnostic. An agnostic knows he can't know, and may live life as though a god or gods exist, or don't exist. An atheist knows he can't know, and lives life as though there are no gods since he has no reason to believe there are any. It is simply living without theism.

e: I suppose I should clarify it as "every rational atheist" since god by definition is impossible to prove or disprove. Well, some potential types of gods, anyway.

That is not true. And gets thrown around a lot by those of faith: "Well you are just an agnostic, because athiesm is just agnosticism" :smuggo:

Athiesm is the disbelief.
Agnostic is thr belief that god/gods/goddesses are simply unknowable.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just wondering but what would people consider believing that say the Christian god exists but is inaccurately described? Because a whole bunch of people seem to believe no gods exist because, say, the Christian god would be evil if it existed. As if actually being what the people who wanted you to believe in it said it is is required to exist.

Christ could only be evil if his love/forgiveness is limited to a select few.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm not questioning their beliefs (or lack thereof), I'm remarking on the eerily parallel framework of a lot of the rhetoric and stuff. It isn't just an artifact of both being expressed in English; the feeling I have gotten, for want of a clearer formal term, is that there are a fair number of internet posters on atheism and so forth, who are essentially just performing (a very particular form of) Christianity with the words changed.

Not entirely related but also annoying are the people who say 'well, if not Jesus, then look, this progress graph would have totally proceded upwards in a direct linear line from the Greeks/Roman era -- and see how much higher our Sciencefinding rating would be, after an additional two thousand years of this stuff I like!' Which is just titanically historically ignorant.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Black Bones posted:

Christ could only be evil if his love/forgiveness is limited to a select few.

Isn't it though?

Romans 9:18, NLT posted:

So you see, God chooses to show mercy to some, and he chooses to harden the hearts of others so they refuse to listen.

Seems like God is purposefully excluding some, making the Bible seem contradictory and false to them so that they will turn away from the religion and be damned to hell. Why? Well:

Romans 9:23, NLT posted:

He does this to make the riches of his glory shine even brighter on those to whom he shows mercy, who were prepared in advance for glory.

Some people are pre-selected to be saved, while others are pre-selected to have their hearts hardened so that they turn away and deny God. God does this so the people he does save feel even more special.

Go ahead, read the whole chapter, tell me I'm cherry-picking to twist the message. I'm not.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

CommieGIR posted:

That is not true. And gets thrown around a lot by those of faith: "Well you are just an agnostic, because athiesm is just agnosticism" :smuggo:

Athiesm is the disbelief.
Agnostic is thr belief that god/gods/goddesses are simply unknowable.

I'm saying it as an atheist. I think it's intellectually dishonest to say we can prove that there isn't a god. God could, after all, be a malicious intangible creature that created a world of suffering and will torture most of us for all eternity after death. I can't disprove it any more than I can disprove invisible pink unicorns. It doesn't mean I believe it or live my life as though it's a possibility.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I'm afraid God's love is somewhat greater than the author of Romans.

Paul worked with the intellectual and moral tools that he had, and did a pretty good job considering. His "we are all one in Christ" is closer to the truth than his desire for petty retribution against his future murderers.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I have no 'position' relative to you, I cannot force your or bring you to account over any reply you make. But okay, you acknowledge that it's not necessary to 'bring to account' to judge. You even admit that it's possible to form an opinion, a judgement even, without needing a 'right'. Just to remind you here, here is your original post on the subject:

Sakarja posted:

I disagree. Most of the time the problem is that atheists judge God as if He was at once real and fake. They acknowledge His "crimes" but ignore everything else. This approach is obviously absurd. Either you acknowledge God's existence, in which case you have no right and no standard by wich to judge Him; or you deny God's existence in which case the morality of his actions is a non-issue, nonsense, even.
So if it's possible to come to a judgement without a 'right' being granted, how is that a valid objection to any atheist argument? Doesn't your argument become a total non sequitur? In the case of 'standards', you even acknowledge that everyone has a standard to judge, but do you understand why I brought up that everyone has a standard? Because that's the standard you can use to judge God. But you, again, commit special pleading for a special category. That does not logically follow. It's another non sequitur.

See, you complain about not finding any common ground, but here's my viewpoint. You say you need a 'right' and (special) 'standard' to judge. I make my responses. Your response to those responses is to just to steadfastly restate that a 'right' and (special) 'standard' is needed to judge. Does that sound convincing to you?

And I'm not even sure what you actually want here. You misinterpret my little musing as some kind of foundation stone of my argument here: it's not, I'm presupposing that what religious people say about god is true for the sake of this argument, 'god as metaphor' is a personal tangent - exposition for 'flavor' if you like. But why would you make the interpretation you did? I've already stated my case, repeatedly. Where's yours?

rudatron fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 25, 2014

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that though, that evil implies non-existence. Though some people believe the equally absurd converse, that existence is guaranteed because of goodness or some such other bullshit, but again, I don't think anyone itt would take that seriously.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 24, 2014

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Black Bones posted:

I'm afraid God's love is somewhat greater than the author of Romans.

Paul worked with the intellectual and moral tools that he had, and did a pretty good job considering. His "we are all one in Christ" is closer to the truth than his desire for petty retribution against his future murderers.

There I go again, forgetting that not all Christians are Biblical literalists. So Paul was just a guy, getting close to the truth in many cases, but we shouldn't count his epistles as direct Word of God?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kit Walker posted:

I'm saying it as an atheist. I think it's intellectually dishonest to say we can prove that there isn't a god. God could, after all, be a malicious intangible creature that created a world of suffering and will torture most of us for all eternity after death. I can't disprove it any more than I can disprove invisible pink unicorns. It doesn't mean I believe it or live my life as though it's a possibility.

We CAN'T say we can disprove god, however, that doesn't make you agnostic. You can disbelieve in a god while admitting that its scientifically and realistically impossible to prove/disprove god.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

There I go again, forgetting that not all Christians are Biblical literalists. So Paul was just a guy, getting close to the truth in many cases, but we shouldn't count his epistles as direct Word of God?

Few Christians are.

Yup, and I think Paul himself would be horrified that some people today try to attach such a label to his letters. He's putting forward arguments to his colleagues, not claiming to speak for God. In Corinthians he talks about the limitations of human understanding, "through a mirror, darkly" and all that. This applies to his own morals and views on salvation.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

...this is the definition of faith. You might as well say that all Christians are actually Agnostic, because they can't *prove* that there is a God. Belief is not dependent on scientific evidence.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CommieGIR posted:

We CAN'T say we can disprove god, however, that doesn't make you agnostic. You can disbelieve in a god while admitting that its scientifically and realistically impossible to prove/disprove god.

Atheism and agnosticism aren't positions on the same spectrum, though. You can be an agnostic atheist (meaning you do not believe in a deity, but you believe it to be impossible to prove one way or the other) or a gnostic atheist (meaning you are certain there is no deity), or an agnostic theist (meaning you believe there is a deity, but you believe it's impossible to prove and/or impossible to know the nature of that deity.

Myself, I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't believe there is a deity, but I also believe it's impossible to prove the existence or lack of existence of such in any way we currently understand. I'm basically playing the odds as I see them. which is to say that, in the absence of any evidence that a deity exists, I believe there is no deity that exists. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but even so I consider it quite unlikely that a deity exists.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Atheism and agnosticism aren't positions on the same spectrum, though. You can be an agnostic atheist (meaning you do not believe in a deity, but you believe it to be impossible to prove one way or the other) or a gnostic atheist (meaning you are certain there is no deity), or an agnostic theist (meaning you believe there is a deity, but you believe it's impossible to prove and/or impossible to know the nature of that deity.

Myself, I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't believe there is a deity, but I also believe it's impossible to prove the existence or lack of existence of such in any way we currently understand. I'm basically playing the odds as I see them. which is to say that, in the absence of any evidence that a deity exists, I believe there is no deity that exists. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but even so I consider it quite unlikely that a deity exists.

That was what I was saying. He claimed otherwise. See my other response

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Kit Walker posted:

This comes up pretty often. It's important to remember that we're talking about two entirely different philosophical fields here. There's the field of metaphysics, the study of reality. Questions of metaphysics involve ones regarding matter, time, substance, existence, etc. Then there's the field of epistemology, the study of knowledge. Questions of epistemology involve ones regarding induction & deduction, standards of proof and provability.

Atheism/theism are in fact metaphysical positions: they address the question "Does God exist?" and perhaps "What is God's nature?"

Agnosticism/gnosticism (and I'm not talking about the early Christian sect here) are in fact epistemological positions: they address the question "Can God's existence/nature be known?" Indeed, the root "gnosis" basically means "knowledge."

Because these are two entirely different axes, one can be an agnostic atheist or a gnostic atheist. One can also be an agnostic theist or a gnostic theist. These two fields aren't mutually exclusive. Indeed, many Medieval theologians could be considered gnostic to some extent (such as Thomas Aquinas) who believed that God's existence could be proven.

Also, another important point: "Agnosticism" wasn't really a separate or standalone belief system until the mid-19th century. The term was originally coined by Thomas Henry Huxley. At the time Huxley was known as "Darwin's Bulldog," and aggressively defended the theory of evolution. However, to protect himself from charges of atheism, Huxley kinda wormed around the question by essentially proclaiming "Eh, you could call me 'agnostic,' I guess." With the prefix of a- meaning "not" and root of "gnosis," he was just shrugging his shoulders and saying "I don't know" to avoid the uncomfortable question of his personal religious beliefs. The term was simply political, it'd never stood as being intellectually sound.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Black Bones posted:

Few Christians are.

I'd have a conversation with the American evangelicals before making that assertion.

quote:

Yup, and I think Paul himself would be horrified that some people today try to attach such a label to his letters. He's putting forward arguments to his colleagues, not claiming to speak for God. In Corinthians he talks about the limitations of human understanding, "through a mirror, darkly" and all that. This applies to his own morals and views on salvation.

Look, 1 Corinthians 13 is one of my favorites. It's like that old pop song from the 60s that just never got out of date. It's beautiful. But like it or not, plenty of (evangelical, protestant, American) Christians think of the Bible as (every. word.) divinely inspired by God, including and especially Paul's epistles. I guess my question then becomes, hey, if the Bible isn't a direct Word of God missive, then why trust it to reveal the finer points of salvation?

But then I guess I'm just asking the oldest questions there are, still unsatisfied with the answers.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bertrand Russell posted:

I ought to call myself an agnostic; but, for all practical purposes, I am an atheist. I do not think the existence of the Christian God any more probable than the existence of the Gods of Olympus or Valhalla. To take another illustration: nobody can prove that there is not between the Earth and Mars a china teapot revolving in an elliptical orbit, but nobody thinks this sufficiently likely to be taken into account in practice. I think the Christian God just as unlikely.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

Atheism/theism are in fact metaphysical positions: they address the question "Does God exist?" and perhaps "What is God's nature?"

What term would you use to describe someone whose answer to this question is "I don't know"?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Muscle Tracer posted:

What term would you use to describe someone whose answer to this question is "I don't know"?

Wouldn't that technically be scientific athiest? At least that is how I define myself.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I'd have a conversation with the American evangelicals before making that assertion.

They are the "few" I was referring to. I know they like to make a lot of noise, but unless I'm mistaken their interpretations are in the minority, even within American Christianity, let alone globally.

quote:

I guess my question then becomes, hey, if the Bible isn't a direct Word of God missive, then why trust it to reveal the finer points of salvation?

Indeed, I only trust the good book as far as I can throw it. So within the bounds of my weak girly arms common sense, empathy, reason, etc.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Black Bones posted:

They are the "few" I was referring to. I know they like to make a lot of noise, but unless I'm mistaken their interpretations are in the minority, even within American Christianity, let alone globally.

Indeed, I only trust the good book as far as I can throw it. So within the bounds of my weak girly arms common sense, empathy, reason, etc.

So what made you believe?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Muscle Tracer posted:

Well there are lots of ways to answer this question, depending on how that statement of "I don't know" is applied.

The most basic rule of critical thinking is that if there isn't evidence or justification of X, then one should not give X any serious consideration. Call it whatever you wish: Burden of Proof, Principle of Parsimony, whatever. It's the basis for pretty much all reasoned thinking, whether you are atheist or theist, agnostic or gnostic. This is precisely why the early and medieval theologians felt the need to develop proofs for God's existence (such as Aquinas), or why despite the ineffability of God they tried to define Him in some way in order to elaborate on His nature (such as John Scotus of Erigena).

Now, there are two possible ways of negating an affirmative belief. The first is to show that this belief has no evidence backing it up. For example, early physicists believed that all waves need a medium to travel through, and proposed one medium, aether, as the medium that light travels through. After experiments showed that there was no evidence for aether, the idea was discarded. Similarly, the homeopathic idea that "water has memory" has no evidence backing it up, so a rational person would disregard homeopathy as nonsense.

In terms of theology, all that's needed for atheism to be justified is to either cite the lack of evidence for God, or to show that specific attempts at proving God's existence are flawed. This is known as "negative atheism," or "nontheism."

The second way to negate an affirmative belief is to show that this belief is contrary to established logical or empirical facts. For example, the idea of a square circle is contradictory on an a priori level. The idea that you can travel faster than the speed of light contradicts empirical fact of relativity.

In terms of theology, this form of atheism needs some sort of evidence or sound logical reasoning to support it. There needs to be proof of God being contradictory as an a priori concept (there hasn't been an empirical argument against God's nonexistence as far as I know). This is known as "positive atheism" or "nontheism." In contrast to popular belief, this is actually a sound belief system for certain definitions of God (such as the "tri-omni" definition of God).

So really, taking all this into account to answer your question: if all someone says is "I don't know" when faced with the question "Does God exist?" the best way to describe him is as someone who hasn't really thought things through.

P.S. It's often said that an unprovable God is porbably the most direct concession to the atheist position: if a belief needs to be proven to be taken as true, and God can't be proven, then God's existence can't be taken as true.

P.P.S. This is coming from someone who taught a philosophy course on Atheism in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Black Bones posted:

27% of the US population considers itself Evangelical Christian. That's less than 50%, so technically that's a minority.

• Locked thread