Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

scamtank posted:

Okay so the thing that mifki was working on, uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6avy8k9bE8c

how did he make a native iOS port

:stare: mifki is a god-damned wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

scamtank posted:

:stonk: :iit:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

scamtank posted:

Is it actually a port, or is it "just" a remote control interface?

Because I'm pretty sure the performance would be poo poo on an iDevice.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

nielsm posted:

Is it actually a port, or is it "just" a remote control interface?

Because I'm pretty sure the performance would be poo poo on an iDevice.

HaterSkater posted:

P.S. It's web interface, right?

mifki posted:

No, fully native, for best possible experience.

In 'dwarf fortress for the blind' thread I promised my new project would help there as well. Indeed, utilising the protocol this is based on (once it's finished) it will be possible to create any custom interfaces - web, for the blind, whatever.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So he's saying that he either statically or JIT recompiles the x86 program code to run on Apple's ARM CPU instead, insert hooks for every tiny thing in the UI, and additionally have found a magical solution to the "brings 3+ GHz i7 CPUs to their knees" problem? (Because the CPU in an iDevice is definitely much less powerful than those present in a decent PC.)
Sounds like he found a good source of fairy dust and unicorn horns then.

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
I'm trying to combine different graphics sets but I can't figure out how to change the graphics for the engraved floors and walls, anyone know?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

scamtank posted:

Aside from the sheer :psyduck: here I'm wondering just how much heat does the iDevice generate by running DF.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Kyte posted:

Aside from the sheer :psyduck: here I'm wondering just how much heat does the iDevice generate by running DF.

let's just say that there's no longer any magma requirement to use a magma forge

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ios dorf fort, with a staggering play time of 15 minutes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This man is a witch.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

Bullshit, that's impossible, it must be an elaborate scam.

I mean, that's impossible, right?

Right?

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

nielsm posted:

So he's saying that he either statically or JIT recompiles the x86 program code to run on Apple's ARM CPU instead, insert hooks for every tiny thing in the UI, and additionally have found a magical solution to the "brings 3+ GHz i7 CPUs to their knees" problem? (Because the CPU in an iDevice is definitely much less powerful than those present in a decent PC.)
Sounds like he found a good source of fairy dust and unicorn horns then.

From the Youtube video info:

mifki posted:

Native iOS remote client for Dwarf Fortress (early stage of development)

From the Bay12 thread:

mifki posted:

Yes, it's an iOS app communicating with a dfhack plugin (mostly in Lua). The protocol provides high-level access to all the actions and data (once finished) in the fortress mode. For example, 'give me an info on this building', 'give me a list of possible jobs for this workshop', 'add job at pos N from that list', 'allow a squad at position N to train' and so on (and of course map updates). Clients can have a UI modelled after the original DF interface/screen structure or something very different to make it more user-friendly and appropriate for the platform it's running on.

So he has written something that allows you to control DF remotely and then written an iOS interface for it. The idea being opening up this protocol for other ways of controlling DF including ports to other platforms.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That makes a lot more sense.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Makes me wonder if hosted Dwarf Fortress servers could be a thing, like hosted Minecraft servers. You couldn't really do it because of various factors like the constantly changing target that is DF's development, but it would be kind of cool to have a bunch of virtual servers running DF for people to play it without even needing a PC at home running it.

Also a nifty way to run succession games, instead of passing along a zip file you just give someone the IP and password.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

chiefnewo posted:

Makes me wonder if hosted Dwarf Fortress servers could be a thing, like hosted Minecraft servers. You couldn't really do it because of various factors like the constantly changing target that is DF's development, but it would be kind of cool to have a bunch of virtual servers running DF for people to play it without even needing a PC at home running it.

Also a nifty way to run succession games, instead of passing along a zip file you just give someone the IP and password.

There's already a multiplayer client mod that lets multiple people work on the same fortress. Masterwork even had support for it awhile. No clue what happened to it though.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Back to quietly rolling out cool quality of life fixes

Toady One posted:

One of the small suggestions was to place merchant announcements out into the announcements.txt file so that you'd be able to pause and recenter on them. I didn't remember why all of the announcements hadn't already be transferred... it was because there were over 300 calls left to categorize and it's a mind-numbing slog. Anyway, today seemed like a good day for it, so that's in the game now. There's also a drink tab in the kitchen status menu.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

It's been literally years since I played this game, but it's always kind of surprising to see that it hasn't collapsed in a heap of contradictions. Toady is still adding features faster than most indie games I have seen, and he's probably literally autistic and a hermit. I still remember checking the changelog one time to see "Added burrows today" and stuff like that. I really like that he collapsed the previous devlist, which was enough work to last the rest of his life, into a manageable roadmap.
Years ago I was really pessimistic about Toady, his development priorities and his insistence on doing the bulk of the programming himself. Since then, Dwarf fortress has become way more playable and fun than I ever thought it would be. A lot of credit is due to modders, but also it's due to to the fact that Toady has an inexhaustible love for little beards, for which I'm grateful.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

toady is basically the perfect intersection between near-obsession levels of enjoyment for what he does and a good imagination all bundled with a neverending work ethic

dwarf fortress definitely wouldn't be what it is if he wasn't at the helm

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

also him not being an absolute human poo poo irl

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also that, yes

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

toady is basically the perfect intersection between near-obsession levels of enjoyment for what he does and a good imagination all bundled with a neverending work ethic

This just describes any good craftsdwarf. If the universe is actually a simulation, then Toady is the self-insert of the programmer, who is a dwarf.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm pretty sure he modeled the whole fey mood thing on his personal experiences. I seem to remember him saying that somewhere.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

scamtank posted:

I'm pretty sure he modeled the whole fey mood thing on his personal experiences. I seem to remember him saying that somewhere.

Is it the same case for the fell moods?

Did... Did Toady murder someone and made something out of the body :ohdear:?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

He's never seen any lag on his weird, white, spiky computer. Somehow it has itself sketched onto itself, and somebody named "Jimmy Hoffa" is on the other side.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

wanna see that bill of lading

• 1 Ton Prepared Anteater Brain
  • 1 Ton Prepared Anteater Tripe
  • 1 Ton Prepared Anteater Lung
  • 1 Ton Prepared Anteater Liver
  • 1 Ton Prepared Anteater Sweetbread
  • and so on

captain innocuous posted:

The Dwarf bites the Goblin in the lower body, geld-able area, but the attack is deflected by Goblin's steel codpiece!
The Goblin attacks the Dwarf but Dwarf jumps away!
The Dwarf bites the Goblin in the lower body, geld-able area, bruising the skin!
The Dwarf latches on firmly!
The Goblin looks numb!
The Dwarf shakes the Goblin around by the geld-able area!
It is torn!
The Dwarf spits out the goblin Chunk.
The Goblin passes out.
The Goblin falls over.
It is raining.
There is a gentle breeze blowing from the east.

It is poetry.

Leal posted:

Is it the same case for the fell moods?

Did... Did Toady murder someone and made something out of the body :ohdear:?

There was a third Adams brother. Now there are two and one Dwarf Fortress. Do the math.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 24, 2014

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

There was a third Adams brother. Now there are two and one Dwarf Fortress. Do the math.

:colbert: A fair trade.

So I'm using LNP this time around, when I didn't for the previous version of DF. Does DHack always cause crazy instability, or is it just that the new version of DF hasn't been patched to a more stable Jenga tower state?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
There are a LOT of plugins in DFHack, its entirely possible that one of them is breaking poo poo. As far as I know the base hack utils are okay.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Just the base package raises the crashing threshold from "pretty much never ever" to "once in a blue moon".

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I think a big part of why he still slaves away on his game is because of how long hes worked on it now. Dwarf fortress has been in development for like what, ~10ish years? According to the average life expectancy in the United States, that's a little over 10% of his life. Imagine working on something for that long, and then abandoning it before it's finished. That wouldn't exactly do wonders for your self-esteem, would it?

This only of course strengthens the bond to the fey mood, considering the possible consequences of not fulfilling the mood.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

VerdantSquire posted:

I think a big part of why he still slaves away on his game is because of how long hes worked on it now. Dwarf fortress has been in development for like what, ~10ish years? According to the average life expectancy in the United States, that's a little over 10% of his life. Imagine working on something for that long, and then abandoning it before it's finished. That wouldn't exactly do wonders for your self-esteem, would it?

This only of course strengthens the bond to the fey mood, considering the possible consequences of not fulfilling the mood.

Tarn Adams cancels Fey Mood: went insane.
Tarn Adams, programmer, has gone berserk!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

scamtank posted:

I don't think he did if you click on the video it does say remote, so what I suspect is going on is you run df at home and just connect to it via phone which is still awesome.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chiefnewo posted:

So he has written something that allows you to control DF remotely and then written an iOS interface for it. The idea being opening up this protocol for other ways of controlling DF including ports to other platforms.
I always thought disconnecting the interface from the game itself was the way DF should go. It's kind of a pity it's happening as a user-hack that's fragile to Toady's whims as opposed to something officially supported, but at least the ball's officially rolling.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

e. Oh, and there was a new version today :flaccid:

quote:

New stuff

Added gelding and associated profession/skill/etc.

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Showed animal gender symbols in a few more places
Got rid of mating-at-a-distance
Added drink tab to kitchen screen
Moved all remaining announcements to announcements.txt
Added ability add/remove bp flags to set bp group
Tweaked crowded pasture anger counter
Stopped liaison from inserting own gender into position change news
Added more work-arounds for compiler issue (fixing broken vault weapons and other problems)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 27, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

wargames posted:

I don't think he did if you click on the video it does say remote, so what I suspect is going on is you run df at home and just connect to it via phone which is still awesome.

Give me a break, the video was unnamed and had a blank description when it went up. There's also a devlog, what with the :siren: new version:

Toady One, v0.40.19 release posted:

Here is another release for November, mostly related to livestock.

New stuff
  • Added gelding and associated profession/skill/etc.
Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Showed animal gender symbols in a few more places
  • Got rid of mating-at-a-distance
  • Added drink tab to kitchen screen
  • Moved all remaining announcements to announcements.txt
  • Added ability add/remove bp flags to set bp group
  • Tweaked crowded pasture anger counter
  • Stopped liaison from inserting own gender into position change news
  • Added more work-arounds for compiler issue (fixing broken vault weapons and other problems)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
An army of gelded war-cats!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cool, something else to do with all those goblins in cages. Get the shears out!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

quote:

Added gelding and associated profession/skill/etc.

So what're the benefits of a master gelder vs a novice?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
e:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Leal posted:

So what're the benefits of a master gelder vs a novice?

Increased testicle yield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
From the twitter:

quote:

DF 0.40.19 is up at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves
Fewer airborne gametes, drink tab
Tip: large animals can put an unskilled gelder in the hospital

So start practicing on those cats lest you get stomped to death by a raging yak.