Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I tend to predominately use the mouse for movemment in roguelikes.

This explains why most of the roguelikes I can tolerate are pretty new. :v:

(I can come up with excellent justification for this as well; Most roguelikes that allow mouse movement have danger warnings similar to their auto-exploration systems, that prevent you from mashing into trouble while still allowing fast movement.

But I also know I started playing Roguelikes when my right hand was in a brace and was near-unusuable, and I needed something to play almost entirely one-handed. The important thing is, as always, what you're used to.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

SageAcrin posted:

I tend to predominately use the mouse for movemment in roguelikes.

This explains why most of the roguelikes I can tolerate are pretty new. :v:

(I can come up with excellent justification for this as well; Most roguelikes that allow mouse movement have danger warnings similar to their auto-exploration systems, that prevent you from mashing into trouble while still allowing fast movement.

But I also know I started playing Roguelikes when my right hand was in a brace and was near-unusuable, and I needed something to play almost entirely one-handed. The important thing is, as always, what you're used to.)

They encourage lazy movement, DoomRL is especially bad for this. You shouldn't stop when you see an enemy, you should stop when you hear one.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

I think crawl does a good job with this, since any travel action will be interrupted by visible monsters or any other noteworthy event. This includes shift+move, which is for moving down corridors, across rooms, etc.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It seems like the more fundamental problem is that there's a lot of "empty" movement in a lot of Roguelikes, which necessitates all these various shortcuts for skipping around until something important happens. Stuff like NetHack and Crawl are especially bad about it since they're both loaded with backtracking. Crawl has features to automate it, but that's really just putting a bandaid over the problem. What if there were more Roguelikes that took after say, Dungeon Sprint, in terms of density of encounters? I realize sprint is a hand-built thing, but you could probably set up an algorithm to generate dungeons along those lines. I guess the Ziggurats are basically that. I don't know - do you think it would be possible to have a really densely packed dungeon while still retaining the fundamental exploration aspect of Roguelikes?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This is getting into "what is a roguelike" territory, but I don't consider exploration to be fundamental to roguelikes except insofar as you don't know what the terrain will be until you see it. If you consider, say, Hoplite to be a roguelike, then absolutely you can compose a roguelike out of a series of dense encounters. It just may not much resemble what a "traditional" roguelike looks like.

(Re: autoexplore, it would be utterly lethal in Angband, which requires you to take active, not-realistically-automatable steps to ensure you aren't walking into an ambush)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You could just section off rooms and make each room an encounter, (like BoI and Hoplite.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

(Re: autoexplore, it would be utterly lethal in Angband, which requires you to take active, not-realistically-automatable steps to ensure you aren't walking into an ambush)
Aren't levels in Angband also huge? Sounds like it's kind of a chore to play.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

You could just section off rooms and make each room an encounter, (like BoI and Hoplite.)

See the thing about this is that it becomes purely combat oriented. There's nothing wrong with a minimalist design like Hoplite which essentially reduces Roguelikes to a puzzle game, but I'm thinking more along the lines of taking a game like Crawl and cutting out all the boring wandering about without actually reducing the scope of the experience.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
It's actually a really interesting design tension; at first it seems like you really want to compress the experience down, but the more you do that, the more it feels like a puzzle game and the feeling of exploration evaporates. If you want to generate "that exploration feel", it's actually very important to have areas where nothing is happening interspersed with more dense encounters, so you get a "bling" (technical design term) when you get to an interesting area. It's a real challenge to minimize downtime while still retaining the feel of exploration.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

cutting out all the boring wandering about without actually reducing the scope of the experience.

You could imagine a deck of cards, where each card is an encounter when flipped up, with its own layout, monsters, and treasure. Here's a 10x10 room with pillars and orcs, now here's a twisty series of hallways with slimes and an invisible sewermage. That's FTL, and in a lot of ways that's also what you strip a game down to when you add in auto explore.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zereth posted:

No kidding.

Unormal posted:

It's actually a really interesting design tension; at first it seems like you really want to compress the experience down, but the more you do that, the more it feels like a puzzle game and the feeling of exploration evaporates.

Exploration is overrated. I'd rather have a game that gets more interesting as you develop mastery and familiarity, rather than less.

(Which is also why difficulty levels, implemented as such, are a welcome addition to many of the more recent generation of roguelikes.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 24, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

Well, to each their own, really. The levels are certainly larger than I've seen in any other roguelike, but you are by no means expected to check out every cranny of every level since (again, unlike practically every other roguelike) there's an infinite amount of potential content available in every game -- the levels regenerate each time you visit them. If you play Angband with a completionist "I'm going to kill everything on every level" attitude then you're just signing up for tedium, like the people who insist on identifying every blue item they get in Diablo II.

But yeah, I won't argue that Angband isn't an acquired taste, because it pretty clearly is. It does have an enduring community and active development, though, so it's kind of weird that it's mentioned so rarely in general roguelike discussion while NetHack (which hasn't seen a new release in over a decade) gets mentioned all the time.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

You could imagine a deck of cards, where each card is an encounter when flipped up, with its own layout, monsters, and treasure. Here's a 10x10 room with pillars and orcs, now here's a twisty series of hallways with slimes and an invisible sewermage. That's FTL, and in a lot of ways that's also what you strip a game down to when you add in auto explore.

Isn't that basically how Crawl generates its maps? Tons and tons of setpiece areas connected by random twisty hallways and a few big empty nothing areas?

It's tricky to really make any kind of comparison between a game with a randomly generated layout like Roguelikes and more traditionally designed RPGs, because one of the natural elements that arises from making your levels random is open-endedness. Dark Souls has a very Roguelike-y feel, but the individual areas are actually pretty linear - all the branching is between different sections of the game - more akin to Crawl's dungeon branches than any individual level. With a linear design comes a much tighter focus because you have a lot more control over the pacing of the high and low energy of combat vs. exploration. You could make a Roguelike that generated a more linear dungeon, but that raises the question of why make the layout random at all if it's essentially just going to be a straight line?

I guess what you could kind of do is have the game generate a level by creating "safe" and "danger" areas, with the safe areas running in a line around the danger areas, but no indication which is which. So you could theoretically go from the level entrance to exit without hitting a single dangerous encounter, but you'd never quite be sure whether the next door you open will be a safe or dangerous one. So you'd have a moderation between combat and exploration while still keeping the overall wandering to a minimum (unless the player happens to get lucky and happens to follow the safe path perfectly).

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Well, Sil gets a lot of love here, if not Angband proper.

Angband was my first roguelike and I'll always love it for that but design wise it is just a bit of a mess. Fundamentally the food and light clocks just don't matter and it makes the whole game a weird, grindy experience.

EDIT: Although as far as Angband vs. Nethack is concerned it's not like Nethack isn't even more of a mess. But I don't see it mentioned here that often either.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm no expert on that family (apart from having spent a fair amount of time with sil) but i was under the impression that there's a bot that can pretty consistently win angband.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

Anyone who wants to test out the controller support in Sproggiwood can put the password "sproggiwooddebug" into the Betas tab in Steam and use the "debug" branch. It's missing quite a bit of polish, but it should all be functional. The only screen that's not completely able to be controller-driven at this point is the Decorate mode (which is under more general construction).

e: ...also now features full control rebinding and a couple small bug fixes.

For me the control rebinding both doesn't seem to work right and doesn't seem to have a reset to default setting. I tried to change several things and just ended up with Mouse0 bound instead.

Also, I can't seem to press the home button or xbox button (depending on whether I use my PS3 or 360 pads) to do anything, and the menu doesn't seem to be bound in dungeons.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

andrew smash posted:

I'm no expert on that family (apart from having spent a fair amount of time with sil) but i was under the impression that there's a bot that can pretty consistently win angband.

There's some talk about the bot at around 45:00 in this episode of Roguelike Radio. Basically, it works by having infinite patience and scumming for millions of turns, since you can generate new levels infinitely.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Zereth posted:

If you're not playing Angband with 'always generate small / always generate interesting levels' turned on you're not playing it the fun way at all.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

For me the control rebinding both doesn't seem to work right and doesn't seem to have a reset to default setting. I tried to change several things and just ended up with Mouse0 bound instead.

Also, I can't seem to press the home button or xbox button (depending on whether I use my PS3 or 360 pads) to do anything, and the menu doesn't seem to be bound in dungeons.

So if you navigate to a key rebind button and hit a controller button, do you get the popup that asks you to hit a key for that particular command? And if you click something on the controller it just does nothing?

I borked the reset to defaults in that build, I'll clean it up and post a new one. Thanks for trying my horrifyingly broken code! :D

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Pladdicus posted:

They encourage lazy movement, DoomRL is especially bad for this. You shouldn't stop when you see an enemy, you should stop when you hear one.

Nah, DoomRL you want to be stationary when you're listening for people, not moving. Moving around to listen is a way to die.

Similarly, mouse moving does not cut off your ears, and once you learn to parse the noises at that speed, it works just as well. Just don't mouse move into large open areas like a doofus.

Way I see it, doing that kind of thing with a mouse is no different from the people that hold down a directional button. You know you shouldn't do it, you do it anyways because it's faster.

Unlike that, though, you can actually mouse move long distances in cleared out areas and not have normally-terrible enemies slaughter you. So it's an improvement in that regard.

(I kind of have an N! clear here, getting told that my methodology is "lazy" amuses me.)

And yeah, Dungeon Crawl's the Roguelike I started with, the mouse move is pretty good.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 24, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
DoomRL kind of makes me want to find a good position and then stand around for thousands of turns waiting for monsters to wander into range at max LOS. I don't think food would be a great addition but that's pretty degenerate.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just play DoomRL with the sound off and bring the pain to the enemies rather than waiting for them to come to me. :black101:

This may be why I don't have any wins above HNTR.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

I kinda agree, it's a problem with DoomRL design that waiting in place is so good.

In fairness, it's a problem with many Roguelikes-food rarely is a good solution in practice-but it feels weirder with DoomRL. It's not really... bad, but Doom as a cover shooter is just odd.

Lord knows I don't have any idea how to fix it though. You'd have to overhaul enemy design and higher difficulties from the ground up.

Maybe that's why Kornell ditched it and started making a new game. :v:

Also you can totally win UV by bringing the pain, don't give up. Make lots and lots of P/Powered Red Armor, take a ton of TaN, and tank your FPS. :black101:

(I'm not kidding, this still works on UV. You just have to know what situations to run from/skip/take at a safer spot.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

So if you navigate to a key rebind button and hit a controller button, do you get the popup that asks you to hit a key for that particular command? And if you click something on the controller it just does nothing?

I borked the reset to defaults in that build, I'll clean it up and post a new one. Thanks for trying my horrifyingly broken code! :D

Well that's the thing. The popup comes up, it registers as Mouse0.... and then the pop up stays there, even if I exit out of the config menu and come back in (that is, it stays opened in the config menu, but going out to normal menus or gameplay it disappears.). The only way to get it to stop showing up is to quit out entirely and restart the game.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well that's the thing. The popup comes up, it registers as Mouse0.... and then the pop up stays there, even if I exit out of the config menu and come back in (that is, it stays opened in the config menu, but going out to normal menus or gameplay it disappears.). The only way to get it to stop showing up is to quit out entirely and restart the game.

If you could send a log to unormal at gmail.com that'd be awesome.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unormal posted:

If you could send a log to unormal at gmail.com that'd be awesome.

How do I do that in the current version?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

How do I do that in the current version?

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

e: Actually I might have figured out the issue, I'll post a new build in a few minutes. Will also fix calibrate and reset-to-default.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 24, 2014

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
I want more Qud, please. I want to be an armored-gopher man with rayguns and ice grenades and drink my own weight in several drams of water.

QUD is best land.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Crypt of the Necrodancer is only $9 on Steam today.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/247080/

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Farquar posted:

Crypt of the Necrodancer is only $9 on Steam today.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/247080/

:sparkles: Sproggiwood's on sale too! :sparkles:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311720/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

LotsBread posted:

I want more Qud, please. I want to be an armored-gopher man with rayguns and ice grenades and drink my own weight in several drams of water.

QUD is best land.

Seconded. I want to go deep into the politics of the plants and encounter more horrible things in the salt flats.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Exploration is overrated. I'd rather have a game that gets more interesting as you develop mastery and familiarity, rather than less.

It is a matter of taste, but I really disagree. Half of the entertainment of Stone Soup for me was finding new vaults or stumbling across the castle complete with moat that held a regiment of gnolls.

I love it in QUD when I stumbled across the starapple farmers or found a snapjaw camp with a Legendary snapjaw and small signs of industrialization of their society like a well defended forge.

Edit: The other half of QUD I really enjoy is the crafting system. Tracking down every recipe for 100% completion is more fun to me than finishing the story at the moment. (Also I figure if I do that, I will be able to finish the ending safely).

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 27, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought Sproggi just so there would be money for CoQ

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm thinking more along the lines of taking a game like Crawl and cutting out all the boring wandering about without actually reducing the scope of the experience.

Judging by its previews the upcoming game Darkest Dungeon will be attempting this.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Turtlicious posted:

I bought Sproggi just so there would be money for CoQ

Try Sproggi!... (Can't wait to get CoQ on Steam though :D)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Unormal posted:

Try Sproggi!... (Can't wait to get CoQ on Steam though :D)

What are you trying to say?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Harminoff posted:

What are you trying to say?

Well, can't promise anything at this point, but the endgame of CoQ-in-Unity is clearly CoQ-on-Steam. Still a long way to go to get there, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a critical lack of roguelikes out there where you can play as a mutant so a polished-up copy of caves of qud getting on steam would be amazing and would draw in a fair chunk of money.

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Unormal posted:

Well, can't promise anything at this point, but the endgame of CoQ-in-Unity is clearly CoQ-on-Steam. Still a long way to go to get there, though.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there's a critical lack of roguelikes out there where you can play as a mutant so a polished-up copy of caves of qud getting on steam would be amazing and would draw in a fair chunk of money.
Unironically, if you put CoQ on Steam I will buy 10 copies just to pass spares out to friends; It's my favorite roguelike to date.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Desideratus posted:

Unironically, if you put CoQ on Steam I will buy 10 copies just to pass spares out to friends; It's my favorite roguelike to date.

That's quite a promise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really want to pull off a build in nuclear throne where you have melting with throne butt, impact wrists, boiling veins, and the crown of blood

then just fire a grenade into every now-crowded new area i encounter and start hammering m2 :getin: