Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Do amiibos only learn from you or can you just put them in a 99 stock match against 3 level 9 npcs and wait for your amiibo to become basically invincible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Wily Castle owns and anyone who disagrees needs to get up on my level right now. :smug:

I also enjoy the magic Pokemon cathedral stage.

I also really like Kalos Pokemon League, actually, though I tend to be nice with Pokemon stages as a whole because Saffron City was my stage back in the original and I miss it even now. Why, Sakurai, why haven't you brought it back yet?

Honestly, Kalos is good. It has gimmicks, but they never really get in the way, and the whole stage is really pretty with really good music (which goes for nearly every stage in this game, but...). Lumiose and N's Castle were pretty good too! All Pokemon stages not named Spear Pillar are good.

I still miss Saffron, and maybe a Poke Floats XY someday would be nice....

SeANMcBAY posted:

He needs to post Pikachu. I hope it's somehow Pikaman again.

That'd make me laugh so hard. I hope he posts a Bowser though, I want to give a scare to my Bowser-playing friend.

Talking about that! I got some friends home today to play some Smash together. Two of them had never played any SSB in their life, while another was my rival back in the Brawl era. Turns out Brawl knowledge is still useful in SSB4, after a few matches he was on my level and even beat me in a one-vs-one with our best characters (my Captain Falcon vs his Ike). The other two grew a lot as they played too and it was just a lot of fun.

Super Smash Bros. is so fun, and I had forgotten this. I played a lot of online multiplayer with the 3DS, but I hadn't played the home version of multiplayer in years. I forgot just how different and better it is to laugh with people close to you. It's the kind of nice feeling I don't think any other series can give me.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Y'all, I am having so much trouble not tearing up when I see that Yoshi

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Unrelated, but Yoshi loving shreds the Master Core.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

i'm scared now

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

greatn posted:

I think the main thing with Amiibo is you should pay no attention to their levels at all. They pick up tactics and behavior from you, so beat them up in your style and use items in the style you want them to and they are a really good AI buddy to fill out smash matches when you need another guy. Especially 8 player smash.

So basically it is $13 for a virtual friend who learns how to kick my rear end just like my real friends did back in SSBM? Do they stop learning when they reach a max level?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

the truth posted:

Can someone explain amiibo to me and if they seem like a good purchase now that people have been using them for a few days?

I may be biased, as I was never really on board for any of their currently announced usages. (The Hyrule Warriors one at least gives you something tangible, but I don't own that game (yet.)) As far as Smash goes, it really seems kind of pointless. I leveled mine up to 50, and all it boils down to is a CPU opponent that says "FP" over their head instead of "CPU".

However, I don't regret my purchase, because I was able to pay $13 for a very decent quality Villager figurine, who I'm a big fan of. I guess what I'm saying is, if all else fails, and you don't mind tapping into your inner 40-Year-Old Virgin, amiibo are kinda cool.

Color Printer posted:

i'm scared now

Who is making these and how are they doing it. There's lots to do in this game besides smash bros, and I want to add this to the list.

enojy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 24, 2014

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Color Printer posted:

i'm scared now

Mr. G&W looks pretty at home.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This is legit creepypasta material

EDIT: but cool creepypasta like that one with the miner lady and the ghost, not lovely photorealistic blood ones.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

haha I stink at this game

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gimbal lock posted:

Adding myself to the list of fools that's ready and willing to do some smashing -- NNID is Gimbal_Lock

Edit: moving this to the imp zone thread since I guess that's where the tviv posting goes. Spoilers: I got my rear end kicked.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 24, 2014

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Calaveron posted:

This is legit creepypasta material

EDIT: but cool creepypasta like that one with the miner lady and the ghost, not lovely photorealistic blood ones.

"And then Faceless Wario let out a hyper-realistic fart that left the television, permeating my room!"

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Oh hey, is anyone up for a match right now? Both my Skype and NNID are REDACTED. I hope to talk to you goons soon!

EDIT: In fact, I'm starting a Skype group for this.

Slur fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 28, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That master ball CD farming thing works pretty well. You obviously gotta put more work into than the CD factory from Brawl, and if you don't have an Amiibo you gotta do it yourself, but I ended up with like 7 or 8 CDs by the end of it, plus a handful of trophies (also a few custom parts or moves or whatever, but I don't care about those)

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't give a single gently caress about items and moves and whatever until earlier today when I poked inside the customization and god drat do I want them all now.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

How do amiibo compare to Level 9 CPU bots?

edit: preliminary review shows they are much better than level 9 bots, but at advanced levels they are significantly stronger (even without buffing their stats) in addition to being "smarter." I wish there was a way to not make them extra strong.

the truth fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 24, 2014

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

the truth posted:

How do amiibo compare to Level 9 CPU bots?

edit: preliminary review shows they are much better than level 9 bots, but at advanced levels they are significantly stronger (even without buffing their stats) in addition to being "smarter." I wish there was a way to not make them extra strong.

I gave my Marth awiiaboo a piece of equipment that keeps him from flinching while charging smashes, in addition to attack-boosting equipment. He's level 50 now.

I can't beat him anymore.

He does move like a much more skilled version of me, so I do think these things have value as training partners.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yoshi is insane. I picked him up with the Wii U version since I figured I should have a main besides Sheik and King Deeds and I find him to to nearly flawless. I hit a bowser with 3 down airs last night and put him to 96%. It's...it's just nuts.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wild Knight posted:

He does move like a much more skilled version of me

Stuff like this is why I'm more interested than I thought I would be, but then hearing about their cheap strength just ruins it.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you haven't done the Galactic Avenger event yet: you're supposed to kill Ridley, not the CPU you. I did the latter and had to kick the corpse of it off the stage, don't be like me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I did some Master Ball farming. It's loving boring and not as effective as getting good at Crazy Orders. Don't do this.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
um guys my amiibo isn't working

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

the truth posted:

Stuff like this is why I'm more interested than I thought I would be, but then hearing about their cheap strength just ruins it.

It's basically like when Dr. Doom plays chess against the robot version of himself that's had its intelligence boosted.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

um guys my amiibo isn't working

I guess you'll just have to unlock the Doom House level the old fashioned way.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
My Link amiibo that I started raising specifically for Master Ball farming (named him Maestro) doesn't seem to want to grab CDs. He love those trophies though. He's level 43 and ignores physical media music like a thankless millenial. Help?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GI_Clutch posted:

I guess you'll just have to unlock the Doom House level the old fashioned way.

i'm so loving proud of having an authentic Doom House figurine. I found it in my aunt's basement last year THE DAY AFTER I showed Doom House to my mom for the very first time.

What a weekend adventure THAT was!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

the truth posted:

You don't have to put items on it, I don't think.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Reiley posted:

You don't have to put items on it, I don't think.

It seems that they get move buffs regardless of whether you feed them equipment or not :saddowns:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

DoctorWhat posted:

It seems that they get move buffs regardless of whether you feed them equipment or not :saddowns:

Good.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's pretty cool watching the Amiibos level up. I had 3 friends over and we tried some 6 player matches with my Kirby and Link Amiibos and the Kirby started winning pretty consistently.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Have you guys looked at a list of some of the challenges in this game? Holy gently caress that entire top row looks impossible.

2. Play as Lucina and score 8 or more KOs alone in Cruel Smash: Vampire Brawn Badge equipment
11. Clear All-Star on Hard with all characters: Saki Amamiya trophy
14. Score 450,000 in a single game of Target Blast Stage 3: Magolor trophy
19. Score 85 or more in a single Rival Smash: Waluigi trophy
22. Clear True All-Star in 6 minutes with Jigglypuff: Koffing trophy

Jesus gently caress Nintendo we have lives.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Yoshifan823 posted:

Eh, it'll be at least another six and a half years before Smash Bros. 5 is out. You got plenty of time. :v:

ArchiveLurker
Sep 5, 2009
NNID: UselessPlayer

In as a baby who has never played a previous smash. Look forward to getting wrecked by goons.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

One save per console is dumb. Please fix, Nintendo. I want to unlock things too. No? Alright.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Yoshifan823 posted:

Have you guys looked at a list of some of the challenges in this game? Holy gently caress that entire top row looks impossible.

2. Play as Lucina and score 8 or more KOs alone in Cruel Smash: Vampire Brawn Badge equipment
11. Clear All-Star on Hard with all characters: Saki Amamiya trophy
14. Score 450,000 in a single game of Target Blast Stage 3: Magolor trophy
19. Score 85 or more in a single Rival Smash: Waluigi trophy
22. Clear True All-Star in 6 minutes with Jigglypuff: Koffing trophy

I'd hammer the first two if possible and the rest aren't that bad.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Volt Catfish posted:

One save per console is dumb. Please fix, Nintendo. I want to unlock things too. No? Alright.

Really? Even if you switch the active account on the Wii U?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Syka posted:

Really? Even if you switch the active account on the Wii U?

Yes. I made a new account today and the save file is apparently shared across all of them.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Yoshi no longer sasy "Briiiiing-Ha!" when doing his Down B what is this garbage Sakurai answer for your crimes.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Yoshi no longer sasy "Briiiiing-Ha!" when doing his Down B what is this garbage Sakurai answer for your crimes.

I want an alternate costume for Yoshi that uses his Mario Party/Mario Kart 64 noises. I miss the days when Yoshi communicated in weird synth record-scratch noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

About that "8 Cruel Melee KOs with Lucina" Challenge, I just got 10 within about a half hour of trying. Here's the method, spoilered in case you want to figure it out yourself:

Step 1: Run off whichever edge you like more.
Step 2: Double jump under the stage.
Step 3: This is the one that requires practice. You need to do her Up+B move in the direction away from the stage (so if you're running off the left side, you're doing Up+B to the left), and you need to do it both as far towards the middle of the stage as possible and as low as you can with her still grabbing the edge afterward. With Cruel dudes gathered near the edge, this has the potential to get a couple KOs at once, although usually it'll only get 1.
Step 4: Wait for them to be within range and then use the "attack while getting up the ledge" move to knock them away. You have to do this because you won't get ledge grab invincibility back unless you return to solid ground first.
Step 5: Return to Step 1.

• Locked thread