Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Dyna Soar posted:

Max wis, then int, then cha.

I think the optimal build if you want to get the most out of the story was Str 9, Dex 9, Con 9, Int 17, Wis 18, Cha 13. Raise Wis, Int and Cha in that order than ignore the physical stats.

Close it's 9/9/9/16/18/14. There's a 14 cha check fairly early. You really don't need to max cha. I think the highest check in the game is a 21.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
You only need 19 int if you're a wizard. 17 if you're not and you can just use stat boosting items to get enough int for conversations too if you're stat starved.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Something worth noting is that having 13 Dex will allow you to grab some people before they escape, all very early in the game. It also gives you experience bonuses if you decide to do thief training.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just use a save editor and set all your stats to 25 if you're going to min-max stats for dialogue purposes anyway. This will also make the combat way more tolerable.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Just use a save editor and set all your stats to 25 if you're going to min-max stats for dialogue purposes anyway. This will also make the combat way more tolerable.

For some min maxing is half the fun of playing a game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Iretep posted:

You only need 19 int if you're a wizard. 17 if you're not and you can just use stat boosting items to get enough int for conversations too if you're stat starved.

I don't think there's any reason not to be a wizard in PS:T since your physical stats will most likely be terrible anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kanfy posted:

I don't think there's any reason not to be a wizard in PS:T since your physical stats will most likely be terrible anyway.

I beat it as (mostly) a fighter. At various points you get to beat people to death with your own severed arm and a hammer named "Reason" (surely they'll listen to Reason). If you can get to 19 strength you don't need much more (swap out tattoos for various attributes as needed) and you'll get tons of low level healing items, and, hilariously, if you use those in a your item screen while paused there's no cooldown so you can use a million at a time. It's one of the few RPGs where I got hard into the role playing part, and tried to play as Lawful Good as possible.

You can have a lot of fun playing a physical character, obviously you need the mental stats too, but Int doesn't need more than 19 as mentioned, Charisma has very few conversation checks that don't overlap with a better conversation choice that's Int or Wisdom based.

It's also a really bad game to try and do everything at once in.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
IMO the perfect character development for PS:T would be that after choosing your starting stats like normal, all of your stats would raise by 1 when you level up. TNO is supposed to be invincible anyway.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, playing as a Fighter is the only real way you'll get any use out of all those weapon goodies you find. Your NPCs all have their own stuff.

That said, all combat can be trivialized by going Mage, stacking a bunch of Cloudkills and blanketing everything with green death.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Late to the party on this, but I really think Valygar is one of the more underrated NPCs (in terms of power I mean, as a character he's almost as much of a wet blanket as Cernd).

As a DPS machine he's not as good as Haer'dalis and as a mage killer he's not as good as Keldorn, but he combines both well and has his 3x backstabs to boot. Plus, once he gets HLAs then he and Haer'dalis even out a lot.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
3x backstab, fighter thaco & attacks per round. He might be slightly less effective than Keldorn, but IMO that's a good thing since Inquisitors basically break the game.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
I'm pretty deep in chapter 2 (it's my first run playing baldur's gate 2) and I'm wondering which NPC's would be recommended for a first timer? My guy is a ranger and apparently Valygar is a boring character so he's out (I finished his planetary sphere quest or something). Right now I'm running with Yoshimo (someone in this thread mentioned he was highly recommended for story reasons), Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie and Anomen. I had Nalia and Korgan for a while but Korgan wasn't playing nice with the rest of my party and I ditched Nalia when I read I should pick up Yoshimo. Now I ran into Keldorn randomly in the sewers and I'm not sure what to do.

I'm mostly interested in a party that adds to the plot and I'm leaning towards neutral good if that makes any difference. I should probably switch out someone for Imoen when I get her?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

klaphark posted:

I'm pretty deep in chapter 2 (it's my first run playing baldur's gate 2) and I'm wondering which NPC's would be recommended for a first timer? My guy is a ranger and apparently Valygar is a boring character so he's out (I finished his planetary sphere quest or something). Right now I'm running with Yoshimo (someone in this thread mentioned he was highly recommended for story reasons), Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie and Anomen. I had Nalia and Korgan for a while but Korgan wasn't playing nice with the rest of my party and I ditched Nalia when I read I should pick up Yoshimo. Now I ran into Keldorn randomly in the sewers and I'm not sure what to do.

I'm mostly interested in a party that adds to the plot and I'm leaning towards neutral good if that makes any difference. I should probably switch out someone for Imoen when I get her?

Completely subjective, but let's see. You want 2 mages, 1 cleric, 2 tanks and the fifth can be any.

good / neutral aligned party (since you'll most likely play good):

Charname a mage: Jaheira, Minsc, Annoyman/Viconia (she hot), Haer'Dalis/Mazzy and Yoshimo/Imoen.
Charname a figher: Jaheira, Minsc, Nalia/Jan Jansen, Yoshimo/Imoen and Annoyman/Viconia.

I don't play thieves since they're boring.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
You can just rotate the party and pick whoever you want. Jan is a pretty intresting guy. Jaheira can be kept at least until her quests are done because she's pretty heavily tied to a certain quest. If you get tired of Anomen, Viconia is a decent replacement for him and she will be relevant later in the plot kind of (Nothing big so it's fine not to take her). Though her being a drow means Keldorn will kill her if they are in the same party. Anomen is a pretty good guy to have if you take Keldorn. They interact with each other a lot as far as NPC banter go.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
The goody two shoes npc's are just pretty boring, apart from Mazzy. If I chose the party based on who I like best, it would be Minsc, Viconia, Edwina (he's pretty much the funniest NPC in the game I you do his quests), Haer'Dalis and Imoen

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Doesen't Minsc kill Edwin if they are in the same party? While both are great I'd probably take Minsc over Edwin.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Iretep posted:

Doesen't Minsc kill Edwin if they are in the same party? While both are great I'd probably take Minsc over Edwin.

Maybe, I'm not sure. I've played the game through twice with them in the same party, but I might have installed the tweak that stops party members from fighting.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, but they'll at least jabber about it first (as I recall, Edwin keeps poking at Minsc in conversations until he snaps). I had Keldorn just kind of go "NOW YOU DIE!" on Viconia while I was busy doing stuff.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'd recommend swapping Minsc for Keldorn at least for the duration of Keldorn's personal quest. Keldorn is pretty much the best NPC in terms of both alignment and ability (competing mostly with Edwin for the latter), is more down-to-earth and personable than monkey cheese, if that's your cup of tea, and if you end up not liking him, you can always let him go after wrapping up his subplot.

I'd stick with Jaheira and Yoshimo, since their quests are most involved, and maybe sub out Aerie or Anomen. Jan is personally my favorite mage, while Aerie is my least favorite, but they're all solid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

klaphark posted:

The party you've got is pretty good. Once you're done with Yoshimo's plot you can swap him out for Imoen. You'll know when Yoshimo's plot is done, and it doesn't come up until Chapter 4 (Chapter 3 is really short it's just what happens between hiring the boat and getting on the boat).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I was thinking of of replaying BG2 with an evil party so I could use Edwin, Viconia, and other cool evil people. However: :effort:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Bort Bortles posted:

I was thinking of of replaying BG2 with an evil party so I could use Edwin, Viconia, and other cool evil people. However: :effort:

Apparently Dorn and Hexxat are pretty good, although based in BG:EE the new characters writing is too different in style compared to the originals and kind of kills the suspension of disbelief. I mean the wild mage NPC is like a modern teenager pretty much.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dyna Soar posted:

Apparently Dorn and Hexxat are pretty good, although based in BG:EE the new characters writing is too different in style compared to the originals and kind of kills the suspension of disbelief. I mean the wild mage NPC is like a modern teenager pretty much.

The wild mage is annoying as gently caress and I wish I could kill her, good god. Then again I like killing all mages in any 2E BG game because gently caress mages. IWD2 mages are ok and can stay.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I played through PS:t as a warrior, using int, wish and cha as dump stats. I beat it, but I missed a ton never got that gold orb back after the trash king dies

:saddowns:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dyna Soar posted:

Dorn was pretty okay in BG1, thought I haven't seen all of his BG2 quests. Hexxat has the same problem as Monk Meer, where you always get three wildly disparate dialogue options, and it never, ever matters which one you pick. I tried to do her romance, but all I saw was 20 variations of the same conversation ("Hey you're a bhaalspawn/I'm a vampire, how about that?" "Blah blah" "You've piqued my interest.") and then I could tell her I loved her in ToB.

Molybdenum posted:

I played through PS:t as a warrior, using int, wish and cha as dump stats. I beat it, but I missed a ton never got that gold orb back after the trash king dies

:saddowns:

I did that the first time too, but as a thief. Just play the game again! I promise it's worth it. You do get to see some content that players who were told the proper way to play would've missed.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
My friend and I are playing through BG2 together, and while we made our own characters, we kind of just want the game NPCs now because of the quests and story bits. Unfortunately, we didn't take the Harper lady with us from the starting dungeon, since we already had a full party. We did free her, however.

Yoshimo said we could meet him at the tavern and we have, but we don't know where to find Jahelia. We looked online and it said she was outside a building in the docks, but we didn't find her there. So, did we lose her for good?

Also, what happens when you replace a custom character? I thought they would be standing around the tavern, but that didn't appear to be the case. I can't imagine they are just gone permanently.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never not brought Jaheira, so my bet is you lost her for good. You might want to check the dungeon exit just in case, though, to see if she's hanging around outside.

In BG1, custom characters will just hang around wherever you kicked them from the party. I assume the same behavior goes for BG2.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kajeesus posted:

I've never not brought Jaheira, so my bet is you lost her for good. You might want to check the dungeon exit just in case, though, to see if she's hanging around outside.

In BG1, custom characters will just hang around wherever you kicked them from the party. I assume the same behavior goes for BG2.

That's disappointing--I wonder why they let you get Yoshimo later, but not Jaheira. I'll have to test out leaving a custom character somewhere accessible, like a tavern--when we took Minsc and Imoen, we ditched custom characters in the starting dungeon, so I guess they might be gone forever as well.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
You could add new custom characters to a multiplayer game after you started in regular BG2. Not sure if that's been changed in EE?

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

In BG2, you usually get the option to either leave an NPC where you kicked them out or else to send them back to the Copper Coronet. The exceptions I can think of offhand are Cernd (outside Druid Grove), Keldorn (goes to the Order of the Radiant Heart), and Valygar (goes back to his cabin).

However, if you left Jaheira in the starter dungeon, I'm pretty sure she's gone for good.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 25, 2014

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Taliesyn posted:

In BG2, you usually get the option to either leave an NPC where you kicked them out or else to send them back to the Copper Coronet. The exceptions I can think of offhand are Cernd (outside Druid Grove), Keldorn (goes to the Order of the Radiant Heart), and Valygar (goes back to his cabin).

However, if you left Jaheira in the starter dungeon, I'm pretty sure she's gone for good.

That sucks. We definitely freed her, so I assumed she would make her way back to the city somewhere. I think even her dialogue hinted at that happening, but I could be misremembering. In any event, her dialogue wasn't like "Okay, then, I'm going to die here".

It's sort of annoying that some characters do end up back in the city, but others do not. I could see if we hadn't freed her, I guess, but since we did free her, that's dumb. We definitely don't want to start over just for her content.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
She should be in the docks area, in the South Westish, just North of the actual docks, standing in front of a big fuckoff mansion with her thumb securely corked in her rear end, just waiting to berate you for being so foolish as to leave her behind. If not, yeah, she gone.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

How do I resurrect a party member? Minsc and Hexxat died and I'm at the Temple of Ilmater but there's no option to resurrect. Do I have to give a certain amount of money first? My difficulty slider is set to the easiest side.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

me your dad posted:

How do I resurrect a party member? Minsc and Hexxat died and I'm at the Temple of Ilmater but there's no option to resurrect. Do I have to give a certain amount of money first? My difficulty slider is set to the easiest side.

You should go to the healing options - the same one where you can buy heal spells and restoration. One of the options should be to purchase Raise Dead. Failing that, did you pick up a rod of resurrection? Also, a cleric of 9th level or higher can cast Raise Dead.

This also assumes you have them in your party still - if you booted them after they died, they're gone for good.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks. They're in my party but the 'Raise Dead' spell can't be selected. I click it and the Buy button is grayed out. I have plenty of cash. I don't have a Rod of Resurrection. I'm still pretty new to the game. I was fighting Pai'Na in the graveyard and had the deaths.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Hexxat can't really die, she just goes into your unremovable Bag of Holding for a set amount of time. Then she comes back.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

me your dad posted:

Thanks. They're in my party but the 'Raise Dead' spell can't be selected. I click it and the Buy button is grayed out. I have plenty of cash. I don't have a Rod of Resurrection. I'm still pretty new to the game. I was fighting Pai'Na in the graveyard and had the deaths.

Are their portraits greyed out or are they missing?

Because dudes can get killed so hard their body explodes and cannot be resurrected.

Though that seems unlikely vs. an opponent who uses lovely little poisonous spiders.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

me your dad posted:

Make sure you have selected the character you want raised

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Dyna Soar posted:

Bort Bortles posted:

The wild mage is annoying as gently caress and I wish I could kill her, good god. Then again I like killing all mages in any 2E BG game because gently caress mages. IWD2 mages are ok and can stay.

I am apparently the only person in this thread who thinks that Neera is acceptable and her voice acting is fine. She sounds goofy but that's on purpose; she has this affect that reminds me of 30 Rock's Hazel and I think the intention was for her to sound like a total weirdo who blundered into magic rear end-backwards (I am really particular about VA stuff and absolutely can't stand most of the non-party-NPC voice work that was added to the EEs). I don't love her but she's fine, and of course she's also really useful. All of the added romance dialogues for all the new NPCs are so weird and awful though; Hexxat speaks entirely in one-liner repartees, Dorn resolutely insists that I'm romancing him even though I chose the "shut the gently caress up and leave me alone" option like five times now, and Rasaad approaches romance like he's 15, which would be endearing if I hadn't also chosen the "shut the gently caress up" option repeatedly and had him not get the message. (Neera's are also bad, I'm not defending them, but I think the mechanical bird is cute at least)

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that every single new dialogue plays out like this, and he was spot-on:
1) I agree
2) Zany Comedy Option
3) gently caress You I Will Kill You

DeathChicken posted:

Hexxat can't really die, she just goes into your unremovable Bag of Holding for a set amount of time. Then she comes back.

This is accurate but her death script is pretty buggy so make sure that, upon her death, her coffin actually has her in it. I read some posts implying that sometimes she doesn't make it there, and I don't know the details, but apparently it's something to watch out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Neera's character is basically the same as that mage (or sorcerer?) from NWN2. Kind of impetuous/hot headed, undisciplined yet powerful, stumble into their magic almost by accident and have hurt people in the past (usually with fire), pursued by other mages who want to study her... It goes on.